The Seven Marks of Beauty

This is the place where you can ask for translations into several languages at once. For translations into or from just one specific language, please post in the language's own forum or official topic.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Stawrberry

The Seven Marks of Beauty

Postby Stawrberry » 2010-08-19, 21:13

In the Netherlands we have this thing called ''De Zeven Schoonheden'', which means ''The Seven Marks of Beauty''. The more marks you have, the more beautiful you are. :wink: Here they are:

[flag]nl[/flag] De Zeven Schoonheden:
1) Lichte ogen en donker haar, of, donkere ogen en licht haar 2) Sproeten 3) Lange, gekrulde wimpers 4) Spleetje tussen de tanden 5) Kuiltjes in de wangen 6) Amandelvormige ogen
7) Moedervlek boven de lip

[flag]en[/flag] The Seven Marks of Beauty:
1) Light eyes and dark hair, or, dark eyes and light hair 2) Freckles 3) Long, curled eyelashes
4) Small gap between the teeth 5) Dimples in the cheeks 6) Almond eyes 7) Mole above the lip

Emandir

Re: The Seven Marks of Beauty

Postby Emandir » 2010-08-19, 21:46

Stawrberry wrote:In the Netherlands we have this thing called ''De Zeven Schoonheden'', which means ''The Seven Marks of Beauty''. The more marks you have, the more beautiful you are. :wink:
Oh, my! Freaky Dutchies! I guess that a light complexion is needed too... :P

1) Lichte ogen en donker haar, of, donkere ogen en licht haar 2) Sproeten 3) Lange, gekrulde wimpers 4) Spleetje tussen de tanden 5) Kuiltjes in de wangen 6) Amandelvormige ogen

1) Light eyes and dark hair, or, dark eyes and light hair 2) Freckles 3) Long, curled eyelashes
4) Small gap between the teeth 5) Dimples in the cheeks 6) Almond eyes 7) Mole above the lip

[flag]fr[/flag] Les sept marques de la beauté :
1) Des yeux clairs avec des cheveux sombres ou des yeux sombres avec des yeux clairs. 2) Des taches de rousseur. 3) De long cils recourbés. 4) Les dents légèrement écartées. 5) Des fossettes aux joues. 6) Des yeux en amandes. 7) Un grain de beauté au-dessus de la lèvre.
Language is the best way men have found to misunderstand each other. Lycodoxos

@Emandir

BubbaKiki

Postby BubbaKiki » 2010-08-20, 11:08

i help translate, but i disagree very strongly freckles are a mark of beauty.
beauty makeups are sold all over the world for women ( and now men ) to have a smooth and relatively fair complexion, and you go "freckles" as a mark of beauty ? :hmm:

1) Des yeux clairs avec des cheveux sombres ou des yeux sombres avec des yeux clairs. 2) Des taches de rousseur. 3) De long cils recourbés. 4) Les dents légèrement écartées. 5) Des fossettes aux joues. 6) Des yeux en amandes. 7) Un grain de beauté au-dessus de la lèvre.

[flag]ms[/flag] Tujuh Tanda-tanda Kecantikan :
1) Mata pudar dan rambut hitam 2) Bintik-bintik 3) Bulu mata panjang dan melenting
4) Jarak antara gigi yang sempit 5) Lesung pipi 6) Mata Bujur 7) Tahi Lalat atas bibir
The Story of Bubba and Kiki ( also see Wiki )

Me speaks :)
Malay - Native [flag]ms[/flag] English - Fluent [flag]en[/flag] Indonesian - Fluent [flag]id[/flag]

Emandir

Postby Emandir » 2010-08-20, 11:10

BubbaKiki wrote:i help translate, but i disagree very strongly freckles are a mark of beauty.
beauty makeups are sold all over the world for women ( and now men ) to have a smooth and relatively fair complexion, and you go "freckles" as a mark of beauty ? :hmm:
I think that on the blondish fair-skin Dutchies freckles can be very cute!

@Emandir

BubbaKiki

Postby BubbaKiki » 2010-08-20, 11:24

Emandir wrote:I think that on the blondish fair-skin Dutchies freckles can be very cute!
cosmetics industrialists and plastic surgeons : please take note ! :mrgreen:

Malay - Native [flag]ms[/flag] English - Fluent [flag]en[/flag] Indonesian - Fluent [flag]id[/flag]

Stawrberry

Postby Stawrberry » 2010-08-20, 13:02

BubbaKiki wrote:i help translate, but i disagree very strongly freckles are a mark of beauty.

Well, I think freckles can look cute. :) Take this list with a grain of salt, it's not like you're ugly if you don't have any of these marks.

alijsh

Postby alijsh » 2010-08-20, 13:34

BubbaKiki wrote:i help translate, but i disagree very strongly freckles are a mark of beauty.[…]
I second that. It's in fact, a mark of ugliness here. However, freckles are uncommon here.

1) Mata pudar dan rambut hitam 2) Bintik-bintik 3) Bulu mata panjang dan melenting
4) Jarak antara gigi yang sempit 5) Lesung pipi 6) Mata Bujur 7) Tahi Lalat atas bibir

[flag]fa-ir[/flag] هفت نشانه‌ی زیبائی
۱- چشمهای روشن با موهای تیره یا چشمهای تیره با موهای روشن ۲- کک و مک ۳- مژه‌های بلند و فر ۴- دندانهای ردیف ۵- چال گونه ۶- چشمهای بادامی ۷- خال بالای لب

BubbaKiki

Postby BubbaKiki » 2010-08-20, 19:55

just correcting my own translation.

1) Mata pudar dan rambut hitam 2) Bintik-bintik 3) Bulu mata panjang dan melentik

۱- چشمهای روشن با موهای تیره یا چشمهای تیره با موهای روشن ۲- کک و مک ۳- مژه‌های بلند و فر ۴- دندانهای ردیف ۵- چال گونه ۶- چشمهای بادامی ۷- خال بالای لب

Emandir

Postby Emandir » 2010-08-20, 21:40

alijsh wrote:
BubbaKiki wrote:i help translate, but i disagree very strongly freckles are a mark of beauty.[…]
I second that. It's in fact, a mark of ugliness here. However, freckles are uncommon here.
That's generally how beauty canons are made up: unusual, rare features are considered as ugly, while common ones seem beautiful.
That's a human thing: strangeness is bad/ugly/nasty.

@Emandir

BubbaKiki

Postby BubbaKiki » 2010-08-20, 23:02

Emandir wrote:
alijsh wrote:
That's generally how beauty canons are made up: unusual, rare features are considered as ugly, while common ones seem beautiful.
That's a human thing: strangeness is bad/ugly/nasty.

how right you are :-

in the best movie the world has ever known entitled "the gods must be crazy", the bushmen came across a white blond school teacher from america and tried to greet her by touching her chest, a plain normal bushmen hello greet signifying 'i mean good to your heart'. she shreiked away !

the bushmens's thoughts we communicated as :-

" she was the ugliest women he had had ever met. she was pink and looked very sick.
and she was big too ! it would take two goats to feed her ! "

you could send a beauty queen or a movie star with all seven marks of beauty ++ into bushmen land, they would undoubtedly have pity on her for being so pink !

BTW, this movie is a must watch for every human species. it is sure to have you in stiches.

Formiko

Postby Formiko » 2010-08-21, 6:35

1) Mata pudar dan rambut hitam 2) Bintik-bintik 3) Bulu mata panjang dan melentik

[flag]eo[/flag] La Sep Signoj da Beleco:
1) lumaj okuloj kaj malluma hararo, aŭ mallumaj okuloj kaj luma hararo 2) lentugoj 3) largaj, buklitaj okulharoj 4) Eta breĉo inter la dentoj 5) kavetoj sur la vangoj 6) migdalaj okuloj 7) haŭttubereto super la lipo
Cherokee Indian STILL improving German.
Getting reacquainted with Swahili Msaada!
In no particular order
[flag]eo[/flag][flag]de[/flag][flag]es[/flag][flag]yo[/flag][flag]chr[/flag][flag]ru[/flag]

Aysugu

Postby Aysugu » 2010-08-21, 7:48

[flag]tr[/flag] Güzelliğin yedi işareti
1) Parlak (?) gözler ve koyu saçlar ya da koyu gözler ve açık saçlar 2) Çiller 3) Uzun, kıvrımlı kirpikler 4) Dişler arasında küçük boşluk 5) Yanaklarda gamze 6) Badem gözler 7) Dudağın üstünde ben

1) lumaj okuloj kaj malluma hararo, aŭ mallumaj okuloj kaj luma hararo 2) lentugoj 3) largaj, buklitaj okulharoj 4) Eta breĉo inter la dentoj 5) kavetoj sur la vangoj 6) migdalaj okuloj 7) haŭttubereto super la lipo

lumiel

Postby lumiel » 2010-08-21, 9:04

1) Parlak (?) gözler ve koyu saçlar ya da koyu gözler ve açık saçlar 2) Çiller 3) Uzun, kıvrımlı kirpikler 4) Dişler arasında küçük boşluk 5) Yanaklarda gamze 6) Badem gözler 7) Dudağın üstünde ben

[flag]fi[/flag] Kauneuden seitsemän merkkiä:
1) Vaaleat silmät ja tumma tukka tai tummat silmät ja vaalea tukka 2) Pisamia 3) Pitkät, kiharretut silmäripset 4) Pieni vako etuhampaiden välissä 5) Hymykuopat poskissa 6) Mantelin muotoiset silmät (?) 7) Luomi huulen yläpuolella

[flag]fi[/flag] [flag]sme[/flag] [flag]et[/flag] [flag]fr[/flag] [flag]fr-qc[/flag]
Kas siis selle maa keel
laulutuules ei või
taevani tõustes üles
igavikku omale otsida?

Ashkhan

Postby Ashkhan » 2010-08-21, 10:14

[flag]pl[/flag] Siedem oznak piękna:
1) Jasne oczy i ciemne włosy lub ciemne oczy i jasne włosy 2) Piegi 3) Długie, zakręcone rzęsy 4) Mała przerwa między zębami 5) Wgłębienia w policzkach 6) Piwne oczy 7) Pieprzyk nad wargą

1) Vaaleat silmät ja tumma tukka tai tummat silmät ja vaalea tukka 2) Pisamia 3) Pitkät, kiharretut silmäripset 4) Pieni vako etuhampaiden välissä 5) Hymykuopat poskissa 6) Mantelin muotoiset silmät (?) 7) Luomi huulen yläpuolella

Polish (pl) Native English (en) Fluent French (fr) (Re)Learning Russian (ru) Italian (it) Some day?

loqu
Location: Sevilla [seˈβiʝa] (Andalucía), born in Cádiz [ˈkaði]

Postby loqu » 2010-08-21, 10:43

Not always, Emandir: blue or light eyes are not that common here, though they are seen as a mark of beauty.

I'm sick of the overratedness of blue eyes. Really hideous people are thought to be beautiful only because of their blue eyes. See Esther Cañadas.

I'm a total fan of brown-eyed men.

BTW, a small gap between the teeth is considered ugly in my area. In fact my mother calls them 'dientes de mentiroso' (liar's teeth).
Dir la veritat sempre és revolucionari.

Emandir

Postby Emandir » 2010-08-21, 10:55

loqu wrote:Not always, Emandir: blue or light eyes are not that common here, though they are seen as a mark of beauty.

I'm sick of the overratedness of blue eyes. Really hideous people are thought to be beautiful only because of their blue eyes. See Esther Cañadas.
I was roughly generalizing. Of course, the colour of your eyes doesn't make you beautiful of ugly. I don't know this Esther* but I know lots of people with blue eyes that are, at best, common...

* I googled her and, oh my! You can see her skull! She's not ugly: she's hideous and frightening!

So am I! :good4u:

BTW, a small gap between the teeth is considered ugly in my area. In fact my mother calls them 'dientes de mentiroso' (liar's teeth).
I think it's the same here. I personally hate it!

@Emandir

lumiel

Postby lumiel » 2010-08-21, 11:41

loqu wrote:I'm sick of the overratedness of blue eyes. Really hideous people are thought to be beautiful only because of their blue eyes. See Esther Cañadas.

This. I have blue eyes but they're pretty common around here so no one is going to say that I'm attractive based on the color of my eyes. Personally I have a thing for guys with brown eyes and dark hair - perhaps I find them exotic somehow...

Oh, and Esther is a total cutie. She won't beat Johanna Tukiainen, though. :mrgreen:
[flag]fi[/flag] [flag]sme[/flag] [flag]et[/flag] [flag]fr[/flag] [flag]fr-qc[/flag]
Kas siis selle maa keel
laulutuules ei või
taevani tõustes üles
igavikku omale otsida?

ILuvEire

Postby ILuvEire » 2010-08-21, 17:33

loqu wrote:Not always, Emandir: blue or light eyes are not that common here, though they are seen as a mark of beauty.

I agree on all of this. I have blue eyes, and I get complimented on them a lot, but I hate them. I wish I had brown eyes, they'd match my hair (and I just love guys with silky chocolate colored eyes.) And the gap is considered very unattractive here as well. But who said the concepts of beauty ever made any sense?
[flag]de[/flag] [flag]da[/flag] [flag]fr-qc[/flag] [flag]haw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]
Current focus: [flag]ga[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag]
Facebook | tumblr | Twitter
“We need to make books cool again. If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them.” —John Waters

Emandir

Postby Emandir » 2010-08-21, 18:09

loqu wrote:BTW, a small gap between the teeth is considered ugly in my area. In fact my mother calls them 'dientes de mentiroso' (liar's teeth).
I missed the last part: in France, we call them les dents du bonheur (the teeth of happiness) - the explanation of this is a bit long...

ILuvEire wrote:I agree on all of this. I have blue eyes, and I get complimented on them a lot, but I hate them. I wish I had brown eyes, they'd match my hair (and I just love guys with silky chocolate colored eyes.) And the gap is considered very unattractive here as well. But who said the concepts of beauty ever made any sense?
Plus the physical appearance is not all: someone who perfectly fits the canons of beauty can look less handsome than someone who doesn't...

@Emandir

Ser

Postby Ser » 2010-08-21, 18:58

I highly disagree with no. 2 and no. 7 (they're considered marks of ugliness in El Salvador), but oh well.
Stawrberry wrote:4) Small gap between the teeth
Does that concern only the front teeth (the upper central pair of incisors) or all teeth? The English is not clear... So I followed Emandir and translated it as if it was for all teeth (but then the English should say "small gaps between the teeth"). *confused*
Emandir wrote:3) De long cils recourbés.
Why isn't it "des longs cils recourbés"? :shock:
Emandir wrote:I missed the last part: in France, we call them les dents du bonheur (the teeth of happiness) - the explanation of this is a bit long...
Go ahead, it sounds interesting. :)

About my translation: it's in this kind of stuff where regional variation matters. So I've provided two versions. (For example, I didn't know the word «hoyuelo» until today. :P )

[flag]es-ES[/flag] (Standard Spaniard) Las siete marcas de belleza:
1) Ojos claros con cabello oscuro, u ojos oscuros con cabello claro. 2) Presencia de pecas. 3) Pestañas largas y rizadas. 4) Dientes ligeramente separados. 5) Hoyuelos en las mejillas. 6) Dientes color almendra. 7) Un lunar encima del labio.

[flag]es-SV[/flag] (Standard Salvadorian) Las siete marcas de belleza:
1) Ojos claros con pelo oscuro, u ojos oscuros con pelo claro. 2) Presencia de pecas. 3) Pestañas largas y colochas. 4) Dientes ligeramente separados. 5) Camanances en los cachetes. 6) Dientes color almendra. 7) Un lunar arriba del labio.

[flag]pl[/flag] Siedem oznak piękna:
1) Jasne oczy i ciemne włosy lub ciemne oczy i jasne włosy 2) Piegi 3) Długie, zakręcone rzęsy 4) Mała przerwa między zębami 5) Wgłębienia w policzkach 6) Piwne oczy 7) Pieprzyk nad wargą

Last edited by Ser on 2010-08-21, 19:47, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Translations”