Share your art!

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Lauren
Share your art!

Postby Lauren » 2015-03-13, 5:49

This thread is for anyone to share any art they've made!

I'd been wanting to start drawing recently as a creative outlet. I'd always loved the idea of being able to bring anything in your mind to life with art. As a child I was never artistic so I didn't start young like a lot of people, but finally a couple days ago I finally started. It's been a lot of fun so far! I know it'll be a long time before I get very good, but even after two days and a few simple sketches I feel I've enjoyed myself a lot. Here is the first set of sketches I did:

I was looking at a "tutorial" for beginners. It recommended practicing basic geometry. I know it's always been hard for me to draw straight lines so I tried squares. Some of the lines were alright, most were curved. Have never been able to draw circles either, so I tried a bunch of them. There's like one perfect circle in the area on the bottom left and the rest were shit. :lol: One looked like a head so I doodled a little person walking on a planet, and one looked like a slime from Dragon Quest games, so I doodled one then did a bigger one from a reference picture.

I got a cool necklace last week that is supposed to be a Phoenix Down (potion that revives fallen party members) from Final Fantasy games. I tried drawing the bottle and wing pendant. The bottle is hideous but I was quite proud of the pendant! I drew a little snake and tried to do another one, but it ended up looking like a sickle so I drew the Communist hammer & sickle. :lol: Then my now ex-datefriend (see broken heart at bottom right) said to draw "pearants". So I drew a sad pear and started another that ended up looking like Slurms McKenzie from Futurama so I drew him. And a tiny baby Leela. My favorite here is Pear Slurms McKenzie. :mrgreen:

Then I did these last night and today:

The top left is a Cactuar from Final Fantasy games (I love FF games), the middle-left three are a Green Snail, Shroom, and Green Slime from MapleStory. The bottom left is a Cactuar fused with a banana because why not? He's trying to escape his fate of being used in an ice cream sundae. Then the giant thing on the right half of the page is a Moogle, again from Final Fantasy games. I like drawing stuff from games. :D She's holding a sign saying " L <3 L" with the L's being me and my girlfriend Lily. :blush:

I like the Moogle, though it's not perfect and kinda dull. The Cactuars and snail and shroom I'm proud of, though the slime is kinda shitty. But so it goes.

I did these all with a regular HB pencil. Next month I wanna get a set of pencils and a kneadable eraser so I can do shading and whatnot. Then eventually I want to graduate to color. :o

So far I love the idea of fusing or mashing up different things, like a pear and the slug dude, and the Cactuar and a banana. Also, I find it very difficult to draw symmetrical arches. :evil:
Native:            (en-US)
Advanced:       (eu)
Just started:    (cs)
Trans woman  Image

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Share your art!

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-03-13, 8:19

I really, reeeeeally suck at drawing. :lol: I do have a bunch of (very shitty) drawings, though, and I'm proud of some of them (because at least they're unusually good for me! :lol:) and might post them if I wasn't either too lazy or too hesitant to just photocopy them. :para:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2015-03-14, 12:23

Oh, cool thread.

I keep pushing myself to get back into some drawing and painting lately. I love that kind of stuff.

If I can manage to start up again, I'll be sure to share!

Lauren

Postby Lauren » 2015-03-14, 17:38

vijayjohn wrote:I really, reeeeeally suck at drawing. :lol: I do have a bunch of (very shitty) drawings, though, and I'm proud of some of them (because at least they're unusually good for me! :lol:) and might post them if I wasn't either too lazy or too hesitant to just photocopy them. :para:

If you really want to draw more, then you should! It can be a lot of fun. Plus I feel that if you show it to others and they like it then it can be a great confidence booster.

księżycowy wrote:Oh, cool thread.

I keep pushing myself to get back into some drawing and painting lately. I love that kind of stuff.

If I can manage to start up again, I'll be sure to share!

Awesome! You definitely should post some stuff here if you start up again. 8-)
Trans woman  Image

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-03-21, 8:12

The only art I'm good at is conlanging. But there's a few drawings I'd post if I could (I think). Same predicament as vijay. Shame not a lot of posts here (of art that is): I'd really love to see what some of us have done ^-^ . Ooh, I'd love to post Party Llama if I could find a way to post him!

Allekanger

Postby Allekanger » 2015-03-22, 14:05

Good idea! :)

Here are a few sketches of mine:

Moomin houses!

Me and my cat Alice to the lower right, haha.

I study landscape architecture, so we sketch and draw in school as well. These are simple study sketches:

Sunrise and sunset outside my window and balcony respectively, part of an assignment in beginner's sketching.

A very quick sketch of people in the street and who they are (in general, i.e. different social groups) and how they move. Our university is bilingual (Swedish and English), so I take notes in both languages depending on the language of the class, but these seem to be all Swedish.

I've also painted some with water colours. These are three paintings of cities from one of my favourite video games. I'd be interested to see if anyone knows what cities they are and which game they're from (please use the spoiler function! :wink:)!

Lauren: I like the pears, they have both a style and story to them! I also really recommend India ink for sketching! It's real fun to leave the safety of erasers and to see your drawings become so much clearer too. :) Keep up the good work!

And others should post too!

Lauren

Postby Lauren » 2015-03-22, 18:47

Those are all beautiful! I love them.

The second of the three reminds me a lot of Lavendar Town in Pokemon Red/Blue, because of the ghost and the music notes and tower. Am I right? :D I'm not sure about the other two, but they're lovely! Maybe you could give me some hints? ;)

Lauren: I like the pears, they have both a style and story to them! I also really recommend India ink for sketching! It's real fun to leave the safety of erasers and to see your drawings become so much clearer too. :) Keep up the good work!

Thanks. :mrgreen: To be honest I have been lazy and haven't done anything in like a week. :oops: I really should draw more. And I'll check out whatever India ink is.
Trans woman  Image

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2015-03-22, 19:51

Wow, Allekanger, those are some pretty cool sketches and paintings!

I have no idea where any of the paintings come from but I like them all.

In other news, I've started slowly getting back into practicing my sketching. Hopefully in a few weeks I can post a thing or two. However, My free time is going to be a bit sparse the next couple weeks with work and my paper due for class. [I'll keep sketching though. :wink: ]

Allekanger

Postby Allekanger » 2015-03-22, 22:10

Lauren: Thank you! I'm glad you like them! :) Yes, it's Lavender Town from Pokémon Red/Blue (Blue in my case)!

Hint1: The colours of the background (cities are named after colour names in Red/Blue).
Hint2 (too easy?): The boat (first painting) and the bugs (third painting).

księżycowy: You're too kind! But thank you. :) I'm really looking forward to seeing yours too!

Lauren

Postby Lauren » 2015-03-23, 2:24

Allekanger wrote:Lauren: Thank you! I'm glad you like them! :) Yes, it's Lavender Town from Pokémon Red/Blue (Blue in my case)!

Hint1: The colours of the background (cities are named after colour names in Red/Blue).
Hint2 (too easy?): The boat (first painting) and the bugs (third painting).

księżycowy: You're too kind! But thank you. :) I'm really looking forward to seeing yours too!

Now that I think about it, the lavender color hinted at it too. :whistle:

I figured the others were from Pokemon, especially the first, but couldn't remember the names of the cities.
Trans woman  Image

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2015-09-29, 0:34

This is way late, but I just wanted to say I haven't forgotten about this thread. Anyone that has read my TAC lately knows how tough this semester has been on my freetime. I do intend to share some stuff when I get the time though!

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-09-29, 1:38

I haven't forgotten about it, either, but I never get around to actually trying to get some art I made and scanning it! :para: FWIW, my drawing is shitty anyway. :lol:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2015-09-29, 12:40

Aw, don't say that! :doggy:
Art is highly subjective anyway!

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-09-30, 4:55

Okay, so finally, here's a cartoon I drew about 17 years ago back when I was struggling to learn, and kind of obsessed with, Tibetan. :P I took one of the dialogs in this book (the only resource for Tibetan I could find at the time) and tried to make a cartoon out of it using a pencil. It's a dialog between a man and a boy:
It's supposed to be set in Tibet on Feb. 30, 1998 (probably the day I drew it...), and the part of the dialog that I was trying to write out in Tibetan translates into English as follows (according to the phrasebook):

Man: Hey, boy, come here!
Boy: What do you want?
Man: Come over here and sit down.
[Boy approaches]
Man: How are you?
Boy: I'm fine.

After drawing about six panels, I gave up and made it scratch paper, probably because I felt I made both the man and the line leading from the boy to the speech bubble in the next putative panel too big to draw a panel around them (does that sentence even make any sense?). And I have no idea anymore why it says "Daddoan Languages" at the bottom. :lol:

EDIT: Oh, right, I think another reason why I gave up was because I suddenly realized I forgot to make enough space for the man and boy's arms!

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-10-01, 5:31

I'd like to note that in those 17 years, you've switched from Canadian (or British >.>) "dialogue" to American "dialog."

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-10-01, 5:37

Koko wrote:I'd like to note that in those 17 years, you've switched from Canadian (or British >.>) "dialogue" to American "dialog."

Oh yeah, that was a really recent change. I had no idea it was spelled "dialog" in American English at that time because even the language-learning CDs and stuff that I bought here all said "dialogue." :lol:

EDIT: Oh, there's another flaw I just remembered! I forgot to draw the ground at the bottom of the panel even though I'd drawn it in all the other ones. :lol:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2015-10-01, 14:32

That actually reminds me of my attempts at drawing cartoons when I was a little squirt. Wonder if any of them are still around anywhere? I'll have to take a look around.

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-10-01, 23:07

vijayjohn wrote:EDIT: Oh, there's another flaw I just remembered! I forgot to draw the ground at the bottom of the panel even though I'd drawn it in all the other ones. :lol:

They were so heavy the people crushed the ground by the end of the cartoon :lol:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-10-01, 23:31

Koko wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:EDIT: Oh, there's another flaw I just remembered! I forgot to draw the ground at the bottom of the panel even though I'd drawn it in all the other ones. :lol:

They were so heavy the people crushed the ground by the end of the cartoon :lol:

But they're so thin! And the kid is so small! :shock: :lol:

Or maybe this panel could have just been larger than the other ones. :P

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-10-01, 23:37

vijayjohn wrote:They were so heavy the people crushed the ground by the end of the cartoon :lol:

But they're so thin! And the kid is so small! :shock: :lol:[/quote]
They're kyojin (titans) disguised as real people, but are actually really tall and heavy.

Return to “Culture”