Language List

This forum is for discussing the ongoing and future projects and resources of UniLang. Please post your comments, criticism and ideas here. We are always trying to expand on things members find useful, helpful, or fun! This is also the place to report errors in systems and resources on the UniLang site.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Michael
Re: "My languages" options

Postby Michael » 2014-11-29, 16:42

IpseDixit wrote:But if the result is that you're still not fluent, can you tell me the difference from a person who's not fluent and did not get to learn the language at home from a young age through constant use and immersion? Why should it be important for someone to know that you had that opportunity, if nonetheless you can't speak it fluently?

Are you referring to me or razlem? Just because I said I supported it, doesn't mean I did for the same reason as he did.

I personally would want people to know I "had that opportunity", because otherwise they will think I learnt it through a book.

I think it makes quite a bit of a difference. Four golden stars in American English, for instance, would not sound the same as four regular ones in it. Are you implying we should downright sack the golden stars? Because that's what it looks like to me.
American English (en-us) Neapolitan from Molise (nap) N Italian (it) B2 Spanish (es) Portuguese (pt) French (fr) Greek (el) Albanian (sq) B1 Polish (pl) Romanian (ro) A2 Azerbaijani (az) Turkish (tr) Old English (en_old) A1
„Çdo njeri është peng i veprave të veta.‟
Every human being is hostage to their own deeds.

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2014-11-29, 17:21

Saim wrote:Exactly. I know Serbian baby-talk, birthday songs and other elements of the language that are obscure for even most advanced learners, but I've had to approach formal Serbian (news, academic texts, etc.) as if it were a foreign language. It's hard to explain to someone who's not in that situation, but it's rotally different to a real "foreign language", and not just for identity reasons.

It's not that difficult to understand if you've heard heritage speakers speak, whether it's your own language or a foreign language you already know well enough to be able to judge. E.g. there were two part-French girls in one French course I took. Both had obviously grown up with the language, but whereas the one seemed to speak it just fine as far as I could tell, the other one was speaking extremely fast and colloquial on the one hand (too colloquial, actually, she got some "friendly" corrections for that), while searching for words forever at other times. Usually, she didn't participate much, but when our teacher asked us how certain things in France are, she usually was the only one who could answer this which meant that often, she'd be asked straight away. Sure, that's cultural knowledge, but a certain linguistic knowledge comes with that, too. She did grow up with that language and culture after all, even if not fully.

Relatives of mine used to live in France and when they moved back to Germany, they were worried that their kids might have problems at school because they only had received their education in French until then. They spoke only German at home (even the siblings among each other), but yet they were worried. Had they grown up in Germany until then, that wouldn't have been an issue. They definitely were native speakers even then, but not at the same level as anyone growing up in Germany would have been.
Please correct my mistakes!

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-11-30, 0:04

It may not just be for identity reasons, but I don't see why that hurts as a reason either.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-01-20, 20:40

I suddenly realized a little while ago that the flag used on UniLang for Neapolitan is not the flag of Naples but rather the flag of North Ossetia-Alania. :?

Michael

Postby Michael » 2015-01-20, 21:54

vijayjohn wrote:I suddenly realized a little while ago that the flag used on UniLang for Neapolitan is not the flag of Naples but rather the flag of North Ossetia-Alania. :?

It resembles that flag but the flag used for Neapolitan now is an informal flag. It's supposed to be a flag for Southern Italy, so I got it changed to that. The flag used for Neapolitan used to be the flag of the City of Naples, but I decided that that didn't represent the true diversity of Southern Italian dialects.
American English (en-us) Neapolitan from Molise (nap) N Italian (it) B2 Spanish (es) Portuguese (pt) French (fr) Greek (el) Albanian (sq) B1 Polish (pl) Romanian (ro) A2 Azerbaijani (az) Turkish (tr) Old English (en_old) A1

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-01-20, 22:26

Aóristos wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:I suddenly realized a little while ago that the flag used on UniLang for Neapolitan is not the flag of Naples but rather the flag of North Ossetia-Alania. :?

It resembles that flag but the flag used for Neapolitan now is an informal flag. It's supposed to be a flag for Southern Italy, so I got it changed to that. The flag used for Neapolitan used to be the flag of the City of Naples, but I decided that that didn't represent the true diversity of Southern Italian dialects.

Oh huh, OK. Thanks. :)

TeneReef

Postby TeneReef » 2015-01-21, 0:12

I have just added (too) many languages. :(
विकृतिः एवम्‌ प्रकृति
learning in 2019: (no-nn)

Levike

Postby Levike » 2015-01-21, 0:19

TeneReef wrote:I have just added (too) many languages. :(
Maaaybe. *Insert schocked emoji*

Michael

Postby Michael » 2015-01-21, 1:03

To what, exactly? To the Language List? Which ones?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-01-21, 1:34

Levike wrote:schocked

Aóristos wrote:

To what, exactly? To the Language List? Which ones?

I think he means to his own list of languages on his profile.

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2015-07-22, 3:54

Could somebody change the native name of Classical Chinese from "文言文" to simply 文言? Thanks.

md0

Postby md0 » 2015-07-27, 22:20

Serafín wrote:Could somebody change the native name of Classical Chinese from "文言文" to simply 文言? Thanks.

I pushed a patch for that, and also to add tr-CY. But for that last addition I couldn't find where the flags for each tag are defined.
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)
Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)Elementary Finnish (fi)Netherlands Dutch (nl)

Multiturquoise
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Multiturquoise » 2015-08-20, 17:52

Could you also add Khakas, Shor, Khalaj, Dolgan, Salar, Old Uyghur and Old Turkic? And also change the native name and the flag of Ottoman Turkish? And change Kumyk's code from "ksk" to "kum".

Native name: Хакас тілі
Language: Khakas
Flag: [ownflag=]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ec/Flag_of_Khakassia.svg/1280px-Flag_of_Khakassia.svg.png[/ownflag]
ISO: kjh

Native name: Шор тили
Language: Shor
Flag: [ownflag=]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a4/Shor_flag.svg/1280px-Shor_flag.svg.png[/ownflag]
ISO: cjs

Native name: Дулҕан
Language: Dolgan
Flag: [flag=]nio[/flag] (Same as Nganasan)
ISO: dlg

Native name: Salırça
Language: Salar
Flag: [ownflag=]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c4/SalarflagBIGmavibayrak.jpg[/ownflag]
ISO: slr

Native name: (I couldn't find)
Language: Old Uyghur
Flag: [ownflag=]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0b/Uyghur_Khganate_Flag.jpg[/ownflag]
ISO: oui

Native name: (I couldn't find)
Language: Old Turkic
Flag: [ownflag=]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/26/Gok1.png[/ownflag]
ISO: otk

Native name: Arghu
Language: Khalaj
Flag: [ownflag=]http://www.oocities.org/rooyintan/persia/khalaj_ethnic.jpg[/ownflag]
ISO: klj

To be changed:
Native name: عثمانلیجه
Language: Ottoman Turkish
Flag: [ownflag=]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/7b/Flag_of_the_Ottoman_Caliphate_%281844%E2%80%931923%29.svg/1024px-Flag_of_the_Ottoman_Caliphate_%281844%E2%80%931923%29.svg.png[/ownflag]
ISO: ota
native: (tr)
advanced: (en) (el)
intermediate: (fr) (ka)
focus: (de) (sl) (hr)

Pikkuali

Postby Pikkuali » 2015-09-09, 14:00

Noticed that the finno-ugric language "meänkieli" is not in the list. Its official minority language in Sweden. And kven language is not in the list either, its official minority language in Norway. This is the flag used as symbol for meänkieli:

Pozoi

Postby Pozoi » 2015-09-23, 11:18

Can you add "Kaikavian literary language" or "Kajkavski književni jezik" to the list?
Its ISO 639-3 code is "kjv".
http://www-01.sil.org/iso639%2D3/docume ... asp?id=kjv

It is classified as "historical", but works in it are permanently presented in public (like dramas in theatres, holy mass in churches, or other literature works), and it is intelligible to native Kaikavian speakers.

Thank You.

Saim

Postby Saim » 2015-09-23, 12:47

How about just "Kajkavian" which would include both the historical literary language and the modern vernaculars?

Pozoi

Postby Pozoi » 2015-09-23, 13:02

Saim wrote:How about just "Kajkavian" which would include both the historical literary language and the modern vernaculars?

That would be great! Kajkavski or Kajkavian.
Where i prefer Kaikavian, because it keeps the original root KAI, which is now writen KAJ, but it was also written KAI before, and in English Kajkavian is pronounced like "Kadzkavian", which is not true to the root KAI.

Saim

Postby Saim » 2015-09-23, 15:07

Pa i to može. :) Uvek sam pisao "Kajkavian" pošto je to oblik koji upotrebljava engleska Vikipedija, ali "Kaikavian" ima više smisla.

Pikkuali

Postby Pikkuali » 2015-09-24, 22:21

oh, and the meänkieli language code 639-3 is: fit.

proycon
Server Administrator

Postby proycon » 2015-10-05, 18:39

Added meänkieli, Kajkavian, and some of the others.
Language is the dress of thought -- Samuel Johnson
my homepage

Return to “Unilang - Information, Input, and Questions”