What have you given up on?

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Lietmotiv
Re: What have you given up on?

Postby Lietmotiv » 2014-12-17, 9:11

lazyaficionado wrote:. But no, I guess Slavic languages don't excite me because of the feeling of a somewhat deja-vu. I still love Serbia though!

I envy you, actually. As a native-speaker of Russian I have big difficulties in understanding (especially spoken) other Slavic languages, especially Southern Slavic(which I don't understand at all).
The only Slavic language I understand, and this is almost 100%, is Ukrainian, due to the exposure (Ukrainian TV, many visists to Ukraine and so on) and also due to the very similar to Russian grammar and many common words.

Saim

Postby Saim » 2014-12-19, 17:51

Aóristos wrote:
lazyaficionado wrote:BTW perhaps I exaggerated that all Slavic languages don't excite me since I only tried to learn Ukrainian and Serbian :D

I have a weird relationship. My native languages are of the Anglo-Frisian and Italo-Dalmatian familes; I learn virtually no Germanic languages, despite the short-lived bouts of wanderlust I've gone through from time-to-time, while I know virtually every major Romance except Catalan.

You're also missing Romanian. :P

PEMbl

Postby PEMbl » 2014-12-21, 18:23

I've tried Turkish and Korean when I was way younger. I didn't have the discipline I have now to ensure that I practice a language and just kinda lost it. I still remember how to read and write korean properly, though, but it's quite useless because I only remember a few words. And all I remember in Turkish is "Hayat guzël!" (not sure if I'm spelling it right, but it means "life is good" or something along the lines)

Also 4-5 years ago I worked for cantonese people and learned quite a bit of it; although I was not as fluent in it as I am in Russian now, I got to a nice level considering they weren't especially good teachers, and I never really put much effort into it. Unfortunately I lost most of it after I quit that job.
Fluent : [flag=]fr-QC[/flag][flag=]us[/flag]
Intermediate&Actively learning : [flag=]ru[/flag]
Slowly begginning in : [flag=]es[/flag][flag=]uk[/flag]
Interested in :[flag=]sv[/flag][flag=]de[/flag]

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2014-12-21, 20:06

PEMbl wrote:Hayat guzël

güzel :)

PEMbl

Postby PEMbl » 2014-12-21, 20:54

At least I remembered the ¨ part! :P
Fluent : [flag=]fr-QC[/flag][flag=]us[/flag]
Intermediate&Actively learning : [flag=]ru[/flag]
Slowly begginning in : [flag=]es[/flag][flag=]uk[/flag]
Interested in :[flag=]sv[/flag][flag=]de[/flag]

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2016-09-28, 21:58

I'm thinking about giving up on Chinese... (at least for now) :? I really like the language, but it's just taking too much of my time.
I have hundreds of Anki reviews everyday that don't ever seem to go down (vocabulary, characters, tone drills, etc.). It takes forever for me to be able to read something and most of my classes with an actual teacher focus on pronunciation (I don't know if I'll ever be able not to mess up the tones in a sentence, especially when speaking fast... :P )

I have the feeling I could be doing much more with other languages in the same time.
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2016-09-28, 22:18

Luís wrote:I'm thinking about giving up on Chinese... (at least for now) :? I really like the language, but it's just taking too much of my time.
I have hundreds of Anki reviews everyday that don't ever seem to go down (vocabulary, characters, tone drills, etc.). It takes forever for me to be able to read something and most of my classes with an actual teacher focus on pronunciation (I don't know if I'll ever be able not to mess up the tones in a sentence, especially when speaking fast... :P )

I have the feeling I could be doing much more with other languages in the same time.

Unfortunately I can sympathize very strongly with that. Chinese has been my main study language for something like 5 years now, with no end in sight. And the crazy thing is that I had a big advantage going into it since I know Japanese well! I do take breaks though, sometimes for months at a time, where I will study other languages. It fills me with horror to think about how much progress I could have made with other languages using the time I have devoted to Chinese. But for someone like myself who is interested in economics, geopolitics, and languages, there is just no getting around Chinese. Plus I hear it multiple times every day living in a city with a large Chinese population, so I can never forget about it. On the bright side though, any other language I learn seriously for the rest of my life will likely be considerably easier than Chinese, with the possible exception of Arabic. So that's something to be happy about.
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-09-29, 0:30

Yasna wrote:I do take breaks though, sometimes for months at a time, where I will study other languages.

For me, this is an important and necessary, if underrated, part of learning languages. I have taken long breaks from studying every language I have ever learned, except maybe English.

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2016-09-29, 9:41

But after taking that long break won't you forget most of what you have learned? I'm afraid I'll probably forget half the characters I know if I don't review them for a long while.
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-09-29, 11:41

Luís wrote:But after taking that long break won't you forget most of what you have learned?

Idk, I think it kind of depends. If it's a few months, it doesn't have to be harmful. If it's a few years - which it often is in my case - OK, then maybe, but even then, I'm not sure I really care. :P This is why I never sell books, especially not language-learning books! That way I can just review what I already learned.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2016-09-29, 12:36

vijayjohn wrote:but even then, I'm not sure I really care.

I like this approach, and I should take it as an example to follow.

I haven't done anything with Serbian for several years now, not even chatted or read a news article, so it's slowly slipping away. It makes me sad thinking how fluent I was and how it's getting rusty now, but I guess I should relax and let it go with the flow.

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2016-09-29, 13:21

Luís wrote:But after taking that long break won't you forget most of what you have learned? I'm afraid I'll probably forget half the characters I know if I don't review them for a long while.

Even during a break, I still read and listen to the language a little on most days, so my passive skills are basically maintained. Active skills do get rusty. But they are quickly recovered when I return to the language with renewed purpose.
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

TheStrayCat
Language Forum Moderator

Postby TheStrayCat » 2016-09-29, 13:39

From my experience, even if you've taken a long break from learning a language, your knowledge comes back nevertheless in a few days after you get back to it. However, I don't always have the motivation to do this - like now with Turkish, in which I used to be around good A1, but which has little practical use to me except enjoying its weird grammar, - but that's another story.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2016-09-29, 14:24

TheStrayCat wrote:From my experience, even if you've taken a long break from learning a language, your knowledge comes back nevertheless in a few days after you get back to it.

I want to share a different experience. When still at high school I participated in an exchange program with a Swedish school, and before going to Sweden I had studied quite a lot of Swedish so I could communicate and understood a lot when I went there (I was around B1).

Now, some 15 years later, I don't remember anything. I can only say "tack så mycket" and "jag kan inte talar svenska", that's it.

That said, I have never tried to reactivate it. Maybe the knowledge would come back fast. :hmm:

TheStrayCat wrote:but which has little practical use to me except enjoying its weird grammar

It is weird indeed. After 5 years of studying it it keeps surprising me.
(I know Vijay would say it's typologically pretty standard and super easy, unlike maybe some Amerindian or Papuan languages, but hey Vijay, we are just humans unlike you. :P).

Just yesterday I asked my Russian-speaking Turkish friend to translate this into Turkish:
Меня не за что ругать. (There is nothing I should be reprimanded for), lit. me no for what reprimand.

He came up with this:
Benim kızılacak bir şeyim yok, lit. My will-be-reprimanded a my-thing there-is-no.

Isn't the sentence structure great?
Last edited by voron on 2016-09-29, 16:19, edited 1 time in total.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2016-09-29, 15:27

TheStrayCat wrote:From my experience, even if you've taken a long break from learning a language, your knowledge comes back nevertheless in a few days after you get back to it.

Maybe when you have a young supple mind. I've learned stuff and then forgotten it again to the point where I can't read things I wrote even a year or two ago. Studying brings some of it back, but by no means all.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Michael

Postby Michael » 2016-09-29, 15:42

I've given up on Polish for good and have given up on Greek, Italian, and Turkish/Azerbaijani indefinitely. It seems there is only room in my mind to maintain active knowledge of a mere couple of languages these days.
American English (en-us) Neapolitan from Molise (nap) N Italian (it) B2 Spanish (es) Portuguese (pt) French (fr) Greek (el) Albanian (sq) B1 Polish (pl) Romanian (ro) A2 Azerbaijani (az) Turkish (tr) Old English (en_old) A1
„Çdo njeri është peng i veprave të veta.‟
Every human being is hostage to their own deeds.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2016-09-29, 17:32

I don't give up, but some languages are like in a sleeping mood. Sometimes, suddenly, for some reason or other, one of the sleeping languages wake up and then it beguns coming back, like a flood :hmm:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-09-30, 0:34

Well, not necessarily if you don't have much time each day to get back to it! :silly: That's been my problem lately.
voron wrote:I know Vijay would say it's typologically pretty standard and super easy, unlike maybe some Amerindian or Papuan languages, but hey Vijay, we are just humans unlike you. :P

:lol: Also I'm the only one who actually speaks a Dravidian language and doesn't fuck off the forum after writing ten posts or less. :P

Meera

Postby Meera » 2016-10-11, 17:36

I have lost my passion for a lot of languages, currently I have given up on Turkish, Persian, Indonesian, etc. I have tried to get back into them and maybe one day I will, but right now I really don't have a big urge to learn them. I think I may have just grew out of them.
अहिंसा/เจ
Learning: (hi) (ja) (ko) (fr)

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2016-10-11, 18:12

[flag=]la[/flag] Gave up Latin when I was 14 because my teacher was lousy.
[flag=]es[/flag] Gave up Spanish the minute it was possible for me :whistle:
[flag=]nl[/flag] Gave up Dutch when I broke up with my Dutch boyfriend (and because I didn't like it so much after all).
[flag=]mg[/flag] Gave up Malagasy when I left the Malagasy music band although I loved them (the language and the band)
[flag=]et[/flag] Gave up Estonian because of the Partitive case :doggy:

but I'll be back!!!!! :twisted:
(for you [flag=]et[/flag])
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

Return to “General Language Forum”