King-Size Translations

Moderator:voron

voron
Language Forum Moderator
Re: King-Size Translations

Postby voron » 2014-09-16, 13:15

Vijay, I love your translation! Especially these two parts:
every little task that needed to be done was a serious, strenuous, arduous obligation that needed to be thought through, planned out, and stressed over.

I went to the office schlepping myself in a panic and JERKED MYSELF AWAKE at the first meeting!

:)

Some comments:
daha önceleri görmediğin şeyleri görme

seeing the things you had not seen earlier
(This was probably a typo)

Birinci cemre düştü, dolayısıyla çok yoğunum!

The spring has started, and so I am very busy!
(I guess the intended meaning is that as spring starts a regular housewife gets more errands to do)

Ben artık bir ev kadınıydım

I was now a housewife
"Artık" means "now, from now on" in positive sentences and "not anymore" in negative sentences.

akşam oluveriyordu

The evening started (quickly)

Zaman su gibi akıyordu

You translated it as "Time went by that way" and I'm just curious, is there an idiom in English that goes along the lines of "Time flows like water"?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-09-16, 19:23

voron wrote:Vijay, I love your translation! Especially these two parts

Aww, thanks! I'm glad you liked it! :D

EDIT: I love your translations, too. :) I just never bothered to say that because your Turkish is way better than mine anyway. I mean, after all, you currently live in Turkey. :lol:

Some comments:
daha önceleri görmediğin şeyleri görme

seeing the things you had not seen earlier
(This was probably a typo)

Nah, I was just getting confused with all those -me's. :lol:

Birinci cemre düştü, dolayısıyla çok yoğunum!

The spring has started, and so I am very busy!
(I guess the intended meaning is that as spring starts a regular housewife gets more errands to do)

akşam oluveriyordu

The evening started (quickly)

Thanks again! :) I really was wondering how to translate birinci cemre and had no idea what yoğun and oluveriyordu were supposed to mean. :P

Ben artık bir ev kadınıydım

I was now a housewife
"Artık" means "now, from now on" in positive sentences and "not anymore" in negative sentences.

Oh, OK. I just remember you saying something somewhere about how the difference between сейчас(?) and теперь is the same as the difference between şimdi and artık (I think). I forgot what the difference was, though. :lol:

Zaman su gibi akıyordu

You translated it as "Time went by that way" and I'm just curious, is there an idiom in English that goes along the lines of "Time flows like water"?

OMG, yes, of course there is! :doh: I saw su and thought şu...:lol:

modus.irrealis

Postby modus.irrealis » 2014-09-17, 14:33

Patronum tatilde, bu yüzden bu defa tercümeyi daha hızla yaptım:

------------------------------------------------

Leyla ise uyuyup, bir daha da uyanamamıştı ne yazık ki...

"Önümüzdeki 10 gün çok doluyum," dedi.

"Hayrola?" diye sordum

"Babamın ortağının kızı evlenecek 10 gün sonra," diye açıkladı, daha doğrusu açıkladığı[nı] sandı ve makarnasını yemeye devam etti.

Ee?

"Gelinlik minicik taşlarla süslü ve onları teker teker sen mi dikiyorsun?", "Düğün yemeğini tek başıma pişiririm diye iddiaya mı girdin?", "Nişanlı çifte kerpiçten ev mi yapıyorsun?" gibi sorular geliyor aklıma. Suratıma bakınca anladı tabii. Ve kendine göre "biraz açtı":

"Babamın ortağı aynı zamanda çok iyi arkadaşıdır!" dedi!

"Haa ondan demek!" diye cevap verdim!

"Tabii, yoksa boş bir zamanım olsa seve seve. Çok özledim yazı yazmayı. Ama sonra da zaten bayram girecek araya. Martta oğlumun doğum günü var. Ardından bahar, Bodrum'a yazlığa gidip gelmeler. Yoğunum yani. Ekimde falan başlasam?"

"Tabii, tabii," yaptım.

Ve iş konusunda Leyla'dan ümidi kesip, bari öğlen yemeğini kurtarma umuduyla şundan bundan bahsetmeye başladım.

As for Leyla, she had slept and had woken up once again unfortunately...

"I am really occupied during the next ten days." she said.

"What's up?" I asked.

"My father's associate's daughter is getting married in 10 days," she explained, or rather she thought she expained and she continued eating her pasta.

And?

Questions like "The gown is decorated with tiny gems and you are sowing them on one by one?", "Did you make a bet that you would cook the food for the wedding all on your own?", or "Are you making a house out of mud bricks for the engaged couple?" come to mind. When she looked at my face, she understood of course. And according to herself, she "elaborated a bit":

"My father's associate is at the same time a very good friend of his!" she said.

"Oh, so because of that!" I answered!

"Of course, otherwise, if I had free time, I would do it gladly. I've really missed writing. But afterwards the holidays will have already come up. In March it's my son's birthday. Afterwards it's spring, all the going back and forth to Bodrum to the cottage. I am busy, that is to say. If I started in October or thereabouts?"

"Of course, of course," I said.

And I abandoned hope in Leyla concerning the work, and with the hope to rescue lunch at least, I began to talk about this and that.

------------------------------------------------

Questions:

1. Does the "diye" with "iddiaya girmek" indicate what is that you betted, like the way I translated it, or did I misunderstand?

2. What does "ondan demek" mean?

3. What does "yapmak" mean here with the quote? Is it equivalent to "demek"? And I thought "demek" was the only verb that could go with a direct quote?

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2014-09-17, 16:21

Great, modus.irrealis! Let's finish the first story about the housewives and then see if we would like to do another one, or choose a different book.

vijayjohn wrote:I really was wondering how to translate birinci cemre and had no idea what yoğun and oluveriyordu were supposed to mean.

"Cemre" is a mythological substance that as spring comes appears first in the air, and then in the water and the earth and causes heat increase. The first "cemre" according to wiki comes on February 20.

OIuvermek is just "olmak" with the auxilary verb "vermek" that implies rapidity of the action. There are more of this kind of auxilaries, see wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkish_gr ... iary_verbs

Does the "diye" with "iddiaya girmek" indicate what is that you betted, like the way I translated it, or did I misunderstand?

I understand it the same way.

What does "ondan demek" mean?

We can translate it word for word. "Demek" means "so" and "ondan" means "that's why", and the whole phrase means "so that's why".

What does "yapmak" mean here with the quote? Is it equivalent to "demek"? And I thought "demek" was the only verb that could go with a direct quote?

I think "Tabii, tabii, " yaptım doesn't mean that she said that. She made a face as if she meant that (nodded her head or something).

I'll ask Ektoras to check on the validity of my comments.

modus.irrealis

Postby modus.irrealis » 2014-09-18, 11:41

Thanks. Your explanation of how "yapmak" is used here makes sense.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2014-09-25, 15:42

Sorry for the delay guys. The work has been tough and I feel tired so I'll execute the right to translate just a couple of sentences (I think noone has ever used it before, so I'll set a precedent).

Bahar modasını gördün mü? Herkes hippi olacak, rengârenk, çok şık.

Have you seen the spring fashion? Everyone will become a hippy, very colorful, very chic.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-09-29, 4:57

No worries! I'll do more than two sentences, but that's just because I'm greedy. :twisted: :lol: So greedy, in fact, that I even tried to translate the next two stories. :D

Vanilla Sky'da hiç iş yok, senaryoyu öyle bir dağıtmışlar ki bir daha toparlanamıyor. Gençler niye intihar ediyor sence? 10 yıl önce bizi üzmeyenler internet çağında çok mu kısıtlayıcı hale geldi? Zamanla birlikte disiplin kuralları da değişmeli mi acaba? Bu arada Orhan Pamuk'un yeni kitabından sonra herkes bayramda Kars'a gitme planı yapıyormuş. Hatta Gezi dergisi Kars'ı kapak yapacakmış."

Leyla dikkatli dikkatli bana bakarken, "Bir dakika," diye gülümsedi, "bir telefon edeceğim."

Orhan Pamuk'u mu arıyordu acaba?
Yoksa Karslı bir arkadaşını mı?
Belki de Vanilla Sky rezervasyonunu iptal edecekti.

"Fatma Hanım, o köftelere yeşil biber de koyun. Bir de yanına patates kızartın," dedi ve tekrar bana döndü:
"Ay çok yoğunum. Ha ne diyordun?"
Anladım ki beni hiç dinlememiş zaten.
"Ev," dedim, "insanı YUTAR, biliyor muydun?"

DAĞINIKLIK

Evler niye dağılır? Ben size söyleyeyim.
Evler kendi başlarına yaşayan birer organizmadır. Ve kendi dilerini dağıtırlar.

"Bunu buraya kim [attı]?" diye seslenirsiniz. Kimse cevap vermez.
"Bu bardağı sen mi buraya koyduuun?"diye bağırırsınız.
"Yoo ben koymadım!"
"Koltuğa kim çiklet [yapıştırdı]?"
Cevap yok.

Evde yaşayan herkes inkâr edince, geriye tek açıklama kalır:
Ev kendi kendini dağıtmakta ve kirletmektedir.
Bulaşıklar, giysi dağlan, yastıklar, eski gazeteler, boşalmış bardaklar, dolmuş kültablaları, kâğıt topları, hepsi de bu alçak organizmanın işbirlikçileridir!

"DEKAR4SYON"

Dekorasyon kazık bir iştir.
Renkleri uyduracaksın, eşyaların tarzı birbiriyle gidecek, ufak mekânlar ayrı problem...

Haydi diyelim, bunları hallettiniz.
Dekorasyonun bambaşka zor bir tarafı daha var: Terimlerin telaffuzu!

Nedense çoğumuz, bununla ilgili büyük müşkül içinde. Dekorasyon yerine "dekarasyon", karyola yer[in]e "kayrola", gardırop yerine "gardolap", sehpa yerine "sepha"!

Telaffuz yanlışlığı mobilya isimlerinin üzerine lanet gibi çökmüş!

Belki de işi profesyonellere bırakalım diye, iç mimarların bize bir oyunu bu [k]arşımıza geçip şöyle diyebi[l]isinler diye işi karıştırmışlar: "Aahahahhayy, kayrola değil [...] o, karyola! Aman, lütfen, işi bir bilene bırakın, daha fazla rezil olmayın dostum. Dekorasyon kolay iş değil. Bak daha telaffuz edemiyorsun!"

Dekorasyon, aynı zamanda büyük bir yalan. Hakikaten. Hiçbir şey göründüğü gibi değil.
Plastik meyveler, kumaş çiçekler, eskitilmiş ama eski olmayan masalar, ahşap görünümlü plastik dolaplar. Kimi kandırıyoruz ki? Sanki mutfaktaki kâsede yıllardır duran o ananası herkes gerçek zannediyor.

Dekorasyonla uğraşmayın. Evi kendi haline bırakın, o tarzını bulur!

There's no work at all on Vanilla Sky; :?: the scenario is so broken up that it can't be put back together. In your opinion, why are young people committing suicide? Have the guys who harassed us 10 years ago ended up in a restrictive state in the Internet Age? Should even the rules for discipline change over time? By the way, it looks like everybody's planning to go to Kars after Orhan Pamuk's new book came out. It also looks like Gezi Magazine will cover Kars."

"Just a minute," said Leyla, looking attentively at me and smiling, "I'll make a phone call."

Was she calling Orhan Pamuk?
Or a friend in Kars?
Maybe she was even going to cancel her booking for Vanilla Sky.

"Mrs. Fatma, put green peppers on those meatballs, too. And roast a potato next to one," she said and turned back to me:
"Ugh, I'm so busy. Oh yeah, what were you saying?"
I understood that she wasn't listening to me anyway.
"Home," I said, "SWALLOWS people, you know?"

UNTIDINESS

Why do houses get untidy? Let me tell you.
Houses are organisms that each lead an existence of their own. And they get untidy on their own.

"Who threw this here?" you call out. No one answers.
"Did you put this glass heeeere?" you cry out.
"Well, I didn't!"
"Who stuck gum to the chair?"
There's no answer.

Everybody who denies living at home, the only explanation continues to be:
A house gets itself untidy and messy.
Dirty dishes, the clothes iron, pillows, old newspapers, empty glasses, full ashtrays, paper in reels are all the collaborators of this sneaky organism!

"DECAR4TIONS"

Decorations are a murderous task.

You'll match colors, the shapes of things will go together, small living spaces are another problem...

Let's say you handled these things.
There's another completely different but hard aspect of decorations: The pronunciation of terms!

For some reason, most of us have a lot of trouble with this. "Decaration" instead of decoration, "betsdead" instead of bedstead, "wardlop" instead of wardrobe, "coffee tabel" instead of coffee table!

Pronunciation mistakes fall like curses on the furniture!

Maybe they even mix up the task, leaving the work to professionals and leaving the decision up to them after pushing an interior designer's game this way towards us: :?: "Auuuuughh, it's not 'betsdead', it's 'bedstead'! Have mercy, please; leave the task to somebody who knows what they're doing; don't let yourself be disgraced any further, my friend! Decorations aren't an easy thing to do. See, you aren't pronouncing it anymore! :?:"

At the same time, decorations are a big sham. Truly. Like nothing you've ever seen.
Plastic fruits, fabric flowers, coffee tables that have apparently aged but aren't old, plastic cabinets in the form of wooden ones. Who are you kidding? Everybody thinks that pineapple that's supposedly been sitting there in the kitchen bowl for years is real.

Don't put yourself out with decorations. Let the house be; that improves its form! :?:
Last edited by vijayjohn on 2014-09-29, 22:24, edited 1 time in total.

Ektoras

Postby Ektoras » 2014-09-29, 13:43

Wow great job, John :-]

There's no work at all on Vanilla Sky; :?:

It's better translated as: Vanill Sky is such a mess / such a hopeless project. (There is nothing to do for it.)
Maybe they even mix up the task, leaving the work to professionals and leaving the decision up to them after pushing an interior designer's game this way towards us: :?: "Auuuuughh, it's not 'betsdead', it's 'bedstead'! Have mercy, please; leave the task to somebody who knows what they're doing; don't let yourself be disgraced any further, my friend! Decorations aren't an easy thing to do. See, you aren't pronouncing it anymore! :?:"

My try would be:
Maybe it's one of the tricks of the interior designers for us to leave the job to the professionls: they may have made the job much more complicated so that they could mock us saying: "Hahaha, it's not 'betsdead', it's 'bedstead'. Oh, please, just leave the task to someone who knows what they're doing; don't make a fool of yourself, my friend! Decorations aren't an easy thing to do. Look, you can't even pronounce things correctly.
Don't put yourself out with decorations. Let the house be; that improves its form! :?:

Yeah, that's pretty good. I would have perhaps said: Let the house be; it'll eventually find its own style.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2014-10-01, 13:11

vijayjohn wrote:"betsdead" instead of bedstead

:rotfl:
Vijayjohn I think I would love to read this book in your translation.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-10-01, 22:27

Thanks, guys! :D

modus.irrealis

Postby modus.irrealis » 2014-10-05, 16:44

So, do we stick with this text? Do we try something new?? What do people think?

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2014-10-06, 21:21

I'd say let's try something new.

modus.irrealis

Postby modus.irrealis » 2014-10-07, 9:47

Me too. Wasn't there a suggestion before of translating a script? I wouldn't mind doing something like that to get some practice with how Turkish is spoken.

Ektoras

Postby Ektoras » 2014-10-07, 16:47

By script, do you mean a theatrical play, modus?

modus.irrealis

Postby modus.irrealis » 2014-10-07, 17:55

Not just a play. It could be the script for a tv show or movie, if there available somewhere. Maybe a karagöz play might be interesting?

Ektoras

Postby Ektoras » 2014-10-07, 18:51

Oh θεοί και θεές μου… Karagöz does no way reflect the spoken language…

We could start doing some TV series. Maybe Bir Kadın Bir Erkek, or Umutsuz Ev kadınları (desperate housewives Turkey-edition) or something of that sort. I can write the script here.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2014-10-08, 11:27

Whoever has an idea for a text, just post it here without asking others whether they will like it or not. We'll do a bit of it and see. Otherwise we'll never start. :)

Ektoras, if you have something in mind please do post. Also consider an option of giving us a film/show simple enough so we can transcribe it without being given the text. (Maybe one of those street interview videos would do, such as Sokak röportajları?)

How did you guys like "Gayet ciddiyim" btw? In my opinion, the language is simple and useful but the stories are a bit too housewife-ish.

modus.irrealis

Postby modus.irrealis » 2014-10-08, 16:28

Ektoras wrote:Oh θεοί και θεές μου… Karagöz does no way reflect the spoken language…

:lol: Not how people speak today, but I meant more like I would prefer something that was meant to be spoken and understood when heard. I'm pretty sure I remember reading Καραγκιόζη scripts as a kid when I went to Greek school on the weekends, although I assume they were adapted in some way.

But I agree with voron. I can't tell if I will enjoy something beforehand, so Ektoras, please, go ahead and choose what you think would be good. I both like and am scared of the idea of transcribing ourselves what is said before seeing the text, but that would be good practice.

voron, I thought the last piece was ok. It's not really my sense of humour, though.

Ektoras

Postby Ektoras » 2014-10-17, 15:49

Hello again. Sorry for replying late.

I couldn't decide where to start from. So I thought, iet's start with slower things, like documentaries. So I've found a documentary about whiskey production.
here: → https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEC41BxchsE

Perhaps each person can do the transcription of 30 seconds or 1 minute if s/he wants.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-11-08, 20:41

Hmm, looks like nobody wants to do this anymore. :P BTW, I guess Gayet Ciddiyim was OK, too. It doesn't exactly kill you with laughter, but it's mildly amusing all the same. :)

By the way, where do y'all get these stories from?

Return to “Turkish (Türkçe)”