King-Size Translations

Moderator:voron

Ektoras
Re: King-Size Translations

Postby Ektoras » 2014-03-08, 18:37

I can give you the names of some writers, maybe 10 of them, and the title of their books, like "Sunay Akın - Geyikli Park", and tell you what the book is about (perhaps I could write here what's written on the back of the book) - and you could choose one of them.

Once chosen, I can write paragraph by paragraph (or page by page) and you could work on it.

...Or, you can do Çalıkuşu :-]

Up to you.

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2014-03-12, 0:14

For whatever it's worth, my Turkish is not strong enough for me to participate in translating, but I would follow along with interest!
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2014-03-26, 10:40

Guys I'm going on vacation next week, and we can hopefully start after I return if you're still interested. Stay tuned!

modus.irrealis

Postby modus.irrealis » 2014-04-10, 8:50

I was super busy for a while, but I'm ready to start now, if we want?

I'm not picky about what we read. My main preference is I would prefer something on the shorter side so we can finish it. Ektoras, do you have any shorter works you'd be willing to post (which is an awesome offer by the way)?

Ektoras

Postby Ektoras » 2014-04-10, 11:26

Hmm. Sure, but how many pages should I aim for? The thinnest book would have around 150 pages. I think the books I have, have at least 200 pages. Is that OK?

Alternatively, I have books from when I was in elementary school: "Astronomi", "Kâşifler", "Arabalar", "Köpekler", "İcatlar" etc.

Those are more "scientific" (elementry level), and each page has a mini-article about a specific thing. So we don't have to finish the whole book. It's like wikipedia actually. Maybe we can do something like that, too.

modus.irrealis

Postby modus.irrealis » 2014-04-14, 8:20

That might be short enough... and it is true (for me at least) that longer works end up being easier to read because you can get used to how an author phrases things, while short stories can be difficult.

About scientific topics, I'd prefer something more literary. It's harder but it's (potentially) a lot more interesting.

Ektoras

Postby Ektoras » 2014-04-15, 22:33

Okay!
I've come up with 7 books. I tried to pick those I haven't read myself either, :p
Not all of them are from Turkish authors, but I don't think it matters much.

1. Cengiz Han'a küsen bulut - (author: Cengiz Aytmatov)
A short story about Gengiz Khan. The author is Kazakh, and the book is translated from Russian. An extremely short book of 106 pages.

2. Macar - (author: Solmaz Kâmuran)
I think it talks about how "press" was first imported into the Ottoman empire. It's not a history book, though, it's a story, and my father said it's a good-read. 338 pages.

3. Bir Çift Yürek - (author: Marlo Morgan)
This was a bestseller, maybe you know it. It's about someone deciding to live with the aborigins in Australia. I've been meaning to read it for a very long time. 210 pages.

4. Aldatmak - (author: Ahmet Altan)
That would be about a love story, I guess. This was pretty popular when it first came out. 240 pages.

5. Bir Dinozorun anıları - (author: Mîna Urgan)
Talks about some personal stories of the author, who was a very well known expert on English literature. 321 pages.

6. Kutsal Kemikler - (author: Michael Byrnes)
This is like a "Da Vinci Code" book. I want to read it some day. It looks interesting. It's not originally Turkish, obviously. 450 pages.

7. Hâlâ Ciddiyim! - (author: Gülse Birsel)
This is a comedy book. Sort of like number 5, but the author divided the book in extremely short chapters and talks about everyday stuff in an entertaining way. It's a fun-to-read book. Not so big either, just some 150 pages.

---

So these are the books I came up with. I tried to choose from different genres. I hope at least they sound interesting. :-] Choose one!

kalemiye

Postby kalemiye » 2014-04-25, 19:35

I spend the most of the day translating TR<=>ES due to my current job, thus when I arrive home I don't feel like translating anymore :cry: . I'm learning very much and I am so happy I got this job, but it leaves me exhausted. I can check the thread every now and then but I won't be very active.

Reşat Nuri Güntekin's works is great for advanced learners, I am very fond of his style and the vocabulary he uses although a bit old-fashioned sometımes is easy and overall the kind of vocabulary you are likely to use. 'Yaprak dökümü' is a very short novel and the style in which it is written is very straightforward.
Not available

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2014-08-22, 17:40

Arkadaşlar, I feel like reviving this game. Everyone is cordially invited to play.
(modus.irrealis, vijayjohn, I count on you!)

Ektoras pointed me to this amusing book:
http://tr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gayet_Ciddiyim

The author is Gülse Birsel, a contemporary writer, scenarist, and actor. I started the book and I liked it because of its easy language and humour.

Here is the link to the book:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwhPyA ... sp=sharing
(tell me if you have any problems with opening it).

Let's start! Usually we would arrange the chain first, but this time I'll translate the first piece and then the person who submits their translation the fastest will become the second person in the chain etc.

See the chain updates in the first post of this thread.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2014-08-22, 18:55

GAYET CIDDIYIM!
Gülse Birsel

ÖNSÖZ
Hep aynı soru...
"O metinleri siz mi yazıyorsunuz?"

Artık cevaplamaktan bıktım.
Kimi de abartıyor. Olumlu cevap aldıktan sonra bir kez daha kontrol etme ihtiyacı hissediyor: "Gerçekten mi? Hepsini mi?" Çoğu insana göre bir kadının mizah yazması sıfıra yakın ihtimal.

Onlar da diğer ihtimalleri sıralıyorlar: "Bu programın metinleri tercüme mi? Bir yazar ekibiniz mi var?" hatta "Eşinizden yardım alıyor musunuz?!" g.a.g. programının metinlerini kimin yazdığı, onların nasıl ortaya çıktığı sanki bir muamma. Oysa jenerikte kocaman yazıyor, "Metin yazarı: Gülse Birsel" diye...

Birçok mizahçı yazar, çizer, gazeteci dost aynı şeyi söyledi:
Bir kadının, üstelik de eli yüzü düzgün bir kadının mizah yazması, komik olması tuhaf geliyor
insanlara. Niye ki?

Benim bir sürü eli yüzü düzgün kadın arkadaşım var. Hepsi çok komik. Kadınlar galiba kendi aralarında espri yapıp, gülüp, güldürüp, hokkabazlıklar yapıp, sonra erkeklerin yanında zarif, işveli, cazip hallerine bürünüyorlar. Erkeğin komik olması, kadının gülmesi lazım ya!

Cazibemi yitirmek pahasına, son kez açıklıyorum: O metinleri de, o yazıları da, hepsini ben yazıyorum. Hatta, alın işte kitabım! Atla deve de değil yani.

70'li yıllarda doğup bugüne kadar İstanbul'da yaşa, zaten mecburen mizahçı, doğuştan
stand-up'çısın. Elinde değil ki. Sen bir şey yapmıyorsun. Malzeme ayağına dolanıyor!

Sevgili hanımlar, siz de bu malzemeyle, evde deneyebilirsiniz!

I'm very serious!
Gülse Birsel

Preface
It's the same question all the time...
Are you the one who writes those texts?

I'm already sick of answering.
Some people go even further. After receiving the positive answer, they feel the need of verifying it once more: "Really? All of them?" According to most people, the probability of a woman to write comedy texts is close to zero.

Those people would list other options: "Are the texts for this show translations? Do you have a team of writers?" and even "Do you get help from your husband?" As if who writes texts for the G.A.G. show and how they come to existence is a big mystery. Meanwhile it says with huge letters in the credits: "Script writer: Gülse Birsel".

A lot of my fellow writers, illustrators and journalists said the same thing: it appears strange to people that a woman, especially an attractive woman, can be comical. Why so?

I have a number of attractive female friends who are all very comical. Apparently between themselves women make jokes, laugh, raise laughs and pull tricks, but when with men they put up their elegant, coquettish, seductive shape. It's for guys to be comical, and for girls to laugh, isn't it!

At the cost of losing my seductiveness, I am clarifying for the last time: It is me who writes all those texts and articles. And this is my book, if you please! Just get over it, it's not a big deal.

Born in the 70s and having lived in Istanbul up to today you're a humorist by force, a stand-up comedian by birth. Since it's not under your control. You don't have to do a thing. The material comes straight up to you.

Dear women, you can also try and use this material at home!

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-08-28, 8:55

OK, I don't know how good I'm going to be at this game, but I'm guessing I should write something since it's been over five days already. :P (Sorry, I just saw this post like yesterday, then started working on it and just got done. :oops:).

EVLER, ODALAR, EŞYALAR VE EV KADINLARI!
Siz hiç ev kadını oldunuz mu?

"Bahar modasını gördün mü? Herkes hippi olacak. Va-nilla Sky'ı seyrettin mi? Bence senaryo
çok dağılmış... Sence gençler niye intihar ediyor? "gibi sorularım karşısında, ev kadını arkadaşım
Leyla eve telefon açtı ve "Fatma Hanım, o köftelere yeşil biber de koyun. Bir de yanına patates
kızartın," dedi.

"A, bu hafta olmaz! Önümüzdeki on gün benim için çok yoğun bir dönem," dedi Leyla.

Nişantaşı'nın en havalı öğle yemeği adreslerinden birinde, en civcivli vakitte makarna yiyoruz.
Müşterilerin yüzde doksanı kadın.

iki ayrı grup var: Pantolon ceketleriyle sakin sakin gelip kısa, hızlı öğle yemeği toplantıları yapan
iş kadınları; ve koşarak restorana girip vakitsizliktcn şikâyet ederek oturan, uzun yemekler yiyen,
yine alelacele çıkan, somurtkan ev kadınları.

Çalışan kadınlar, çalışmayan kadınlar...
Çalışan bir kadının nedense vakti daha boldur. Sizi iki toplantı, bir bütçe görüşmesi, bir kokteyl
parti, alışveriş ve yarım mülakat arasına sıkıştırıverir.
Oysa bir ev kadını "O gün doluyum, manikür yaptıracağım," der mesela!

Ev kadınları yarım saatlik işleri bir bütün güne yayma eğilimindedirler. Erzak alışverişi, saç kestirme, arkadaşla kahve içme, evdeki musluğun tamiri, onlar için tam günlük işlerdir.

Ev kadınlarının telefon konuşmaları da uzun sürer. "Ne yaptın bugün?" denen bir iş kadını, tüm
günü "Bildiğin gibi," diyerek özetlerken, sesinde bir an önce sadede gelmenizi rica eden bir uyarı
tonu hissedersiniz.

Ev kadını ise anlatmaya başlar: "Sabah kalktım. Kahvaltı ettim. Kahvaltıda artık yumurta
yiyorum. İlginç bir rejime başladım. Onu da anlatacağım. Fakat bu bizim yeni kadın yumurtayı
bile doğru dürüst yapamıyor. Geçen gün..." Sohbet böyle başlar ve detaylar, tekrarlar ve
şikâyetlerle örülü, sonsuza dek devam edebilir.

(Tabii ki belli bir kesimden söz ediyorum. Siz tarla sürüp, çamaşırını külle derede yıkayan,
ekmeğini bile kendi yapan bir kadın olabilirsiniz. Ama zaten o zaman da siz bir çalışan kadınsınız
demektir.)

HOUSES, ROOMS, BELONGINGS, AND HOUSEWIVES!
Have you ever been a housewife?

My friend Leyla, a housewife, picked up the phone at home to questions like "have you seen the spring fashions? Everything will be hippie themed. Have you seen Vanilla Sky? I think the scenario is broken up a lot...Why do you think young people are committing suicide?" and said, "Mrs. Fatma, put green peppers on those meatballs, too. And roast a potato next to one."

"Oh, not this week! The next ten days are very busy for me," said Leyla.

We're eating spaghetti at one of the best lunch places in Nişantaşı at its busiest hours. Ninety percent of its customers are women.

There are two different groups: Working women who come in leisurely in suits and pants and have quick, brief lunch meetings; and pouty housewives who come in running and complaining about their lack of free time, then sit down, eat long meals, and leave again in a great hurry.

Working women, non-working women...
For some reason, a working woman has more time. She's tucked in between two meetings, one budget meeting, one cocktail party, shopping, and half an interview. :?:
By contrast, a housewife says things like "I'm busy that day; I'll be getting a manicure"!

Housewives are in the habit of spreading out tasks that take half an hour over a whole day. Grocery shopping, haircuts, drinking coffee with friends, fixing faucets at home are jobs that take all day for them.

Housewives' phone conversations last a long time, too. While a working woman, asked "what did you do today?" summarizes her whole day with "oh, you know," you immediately feel a warning tone in her voice begging to get to the point.

If it's a housewife, she starts explaining: "I got up this morning. I had breakfast. I'm still eating an egg from breakfast. I started an interesting diet. I'll explain that, too. But this new lady of ours doesn't even know how to make an egg properly. The other day..." She starts the conversation this way and goes on endlessly, weaving in details, repetitions, and complaints.

(Obviously, I'm referring to a certain segment. You may be a woman who works in the fields and washes all her clothes in a stream, who even makes her own bread. But then, too, you would be said to be a working woman anyway).

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2014-08-28, 11:03

Bravo vijayjohn! Great translation! And I'm happy that you 've joined the game, too. :woohoo: How do you like the text?

I'll put you on the chain and wait a couple days more, if no one else joins I'll do the next translation.

For some reason, a working woman has more time. She's tucked in between two meetings, one budget meeting, one cocktail party, shopping, and half an interview. :?:

The original sentence has "sizi" and the verb is "sıkıştırmak" (transitive), so it should be something like "She will squeeze you in between two meetings" etc

You may be a woman who works in the fields and washes all her clothes in a stream

washes in a stream with ash

For potential participants: Everyone is invited to play! If you don't feel confident or feel too lazy to translate a longer text, you can as well translate just one sentence!

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-08-28, 16:22

voron wrote:Bravo vijayjohn! Great translation! And I'm happy that you 've joined the game, too. :woohoo:

Thanks! :D I'm glad to start trying this out. :)
How do you like the text?

It's fun! 8-) I've never read a whole book in Turkish before, even though I have one, so it was a nice challenge to translate part of it. :) The book I have is called Kızlarıma Mektuplar; I think the language in that book is also pretty simple, but I'm not sure it's available online. I got it from a bookstore here where they very randomly had a few books in languages other than English, and the bookstore people had no idea what language it was in. They thought maybe it was Swedish or something. :lol:

I think this text is more fun to read, though. :D
I'll put you on the chain and wait a couple days more, if no one else joins I'll do the next translation.

Great, and thanks again for correcting those two parts of my translation! :)

Ektoras

Postby Ektoras » 2014-08-28, 19:15

Wonderful job, vijayjohn and voron! Keep going! ^^

modus.irrealis

Postby modus.irrealis » 2014-08-31, 20:15

That's awesome that this got started again. Voron, if you wait a couple more days, I promise to get in the next translation (unless somebody else joins in as well, of course).

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2014-09-01, 7:32

Modus.irrealis, sure! Next place on the chain is yours!

modus.irrealis

Postby modus.irrealis » 2014-09-05, 9:40

Didn't get as much done as I'd like, but here goes:

Öğle yemeği yediğim Leyla, 90'lı yıllar boyunca dergi çıkarırken bir yandan gece hayatının altını üstüne getirmiş, aynı dönemde gazetelerde yazı yazmış, boş zamanlarında bir sanatçının menajerliğini yapıp kalan vaktinde de hobi olarak fotoğraf çekmiş bir arkadaşım. Yeni milenyuma girerken evlenip, 2000'de bir de çocuk yapınca ortalarda görünmez olmuştu.

Ona bir "free lance" yazı işi teklif etmek için aradım. Randevuya gecikerek ve nefes nefese, hiçbir şeye vakit bulamadığından şikâyet ederek geldi.

90'h yılların acar gazetecisi, gece hayatının kraliçesi Leyla, ev kadını olmuştu!

Evim, güzel, sıcak, uyuşuk evim

"Ev" çok güçlü bir şeydir.

Sıcaktır, yumuşaktır, güzel kokar...

Tanıdıktır, güvenlidir, yapışkandır, şirindir.

The Leyla I ate lunch with is a friend, who, while publishing a magazine during the nineties, on the one hand turned night life upside down, and in the same period wrote in the newspapers, and in her free time acted as manager for an artist and in her remaining time took photographs as a hobby. Entering the new millenium she got married, and when she also had a child in 2000, she was not to be seen in public.

I looked for her in order to offer her a free-lance writing job. She came late for the interview and panting, complaining that she couldn't find the time for anything.

Leyla, the fearless journalist of the nineties, the queen of night life, had become a housewife!

The word "home" is a very powerful thing.

It's warm, it's tender, it smells nice...

It's familiar, it's safe, it's sticky [?], it's charming.

-------------------------

What shade of meaning do all the -dir's in the last two lines give? Is the case where it means something like "presumably" or is this just a plain statement?

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2014-09-06, 14:47

Thank you modus!

On the "dir" suffix: I guess it's there to emphasize the truth of the statement being made:
The word "home" is undoubtedly a very powerful thing.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2014-09-09, 16:07

Size çok âşık, pek işi gücü de olmayan bir sevgili gibidir. Aranızdaki ilişkiyi belli bir mesafede tutmazsanız 24 saati sizinle geçirmek ister! Uyuşturucu özelliği vardır. Alışır gidersiniz. Bütün vaktinizi birlikte harcamaya başlarsınız. Bir de bakarsınız, kuralları o koymaya başlamış.

Grip olduğumda anladım bunu. Beş yaşından beri hafta ortaları evde oturmamış biri için ilginç bir deneyimdi.

Önce sıkıntıdan patladım. Dayanamayıp, ateşli ateşli, oturup çalıştım.

İkinci gün fotoğraf albümü yerleştirme, tabloların yerini değiştirme, giysilerimi elden geçirme, daha önce okuyamadığım Susan Sontag'ın fotoğrafçılıkla ilgili kitabına başlama gibi daha hafif aktivitelere giriştim. Akşama doğru hedeflediklerimin yarısını bitirip, kalanını ertesi güne erteledim.

Üçüncü günü sütlaç yaparak geçirdim. Tam kitabı elime alacakken, akşam oldu!

Dördüncü gün kendimi biraz bitkin hissettim ve genellikle televizyon seyretmeyi tercih ettim.

Beşinci gün saçımı taramak bile yorucu iş gibi gelmeye başladı.

Bir iş kadım için büyük lüks olan her şeyi yapmaya başladım: Üşendim, erteledim, vazgeçtim!

Yavaşladım. Miskinleştim. Ve ev beni yuttu!

It's like a lover who is much in love with you and has no job to do. If you don't keep your relations at a distance he wants to spend 24 hours with you. It has a characteristic of a drug. You get used to each other and go. You start spending all your time together. And then you see that he is the one who starts setting rules.

I understood that when I had flu. For someone who hasn't been sitting at home on weekdays for 5 years it is an interesting experience. At first I was bored to death. Not being able to withhold, I sat down and worked feverishly.

The second day I engaged myself into lighter activities such as finding a place for the photo album, moving the paintings around, revising my clothes, starting a book about photography by Susan Sontag which I hadn't read before. Having finished half of my target items until the evening, I postponed the rest until the next day.

I spent the third day making rice pudding. When I was just about to take the book in my hands, it got dark!

On the third day I felt a bit worn out and mostly went for watching the TV.

On the fifth even combing my hair started appearing as a hard job to me.

I started doing everything that is a big luxury for a business woman: I got lazy, I put everything off, I stopped caring.

I got sluggish. I slacked off. And home swallowed me!

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-09-16, 7:50

Wow, I took a long time to translate the next paragraph again, and unfortunately, I have no idea what the English equivalents of the quotes in the first paragraph are. :hmm: So I just tried to translate them from Turkish, even though I'm still not promising anything about the quality of this translation. :lol:

Milan Kundera'n[ın] "Yavaşlıktı gibi, durup fark etme, daha önceleri görmediğin şeyleri görme["] manasında iyi bir yavaşlık değildi ama bu [k]ötü bir histi. Daha çok Woody Allen'ın An[ni]e Ha[l]l filminde söylediğine benziyordu: "Sıcak, rahat ortamlar bana yaramıyor. Olgunlaşıp çürümeye başlıyorum!"

Birinci cemre düştü, dolayısıyla çok yoğunum!

Ben artık bir ev kadınıydım ve yapılacak her küçük iş, üzerinde düşünülmesi, plan yapılması, stres yaşanması gereken, önemli, ağır, yorucu bir görevdi.

İşe gitmeye falan da hiç niyetim yoktu.

Sabah programları, Türk kahvesi, iki telefon, "Burası neden tozlu!" derken akşam oluveriyordu. Zaman su gibi akıyordu.

Hayatının berbatlığını fark eden bir eroin bağımlısı gibi, gribim tam olarak geçmeden, ama iş işten geçmek üzereyken, panik içinde, kendimi sürükleyerek ofise gittim ve ilk toplantıda SİLKİNİP UYANDIM!

It wasn't a good kind of slowness like what Milan Kundera meant when he said, "It was like slowness, stopping and realizing, seeing the things you had seen earlier" but a bad sensation. It was more like what Woody Allen said in the movie Annie Hall: "Warm, cozy weather suits me. I've gotten old and am beginning to wither away!"

The end of winter was in sight, and so I am very strong!

I was still a housewife, and every little task that needed to be done was a serious, strenuous, arduous obligation that needed to be thought through, planned out, and stressed over.

I didn't even have any intention of going to work.

Morning programs, Turkish coffee, two phone calls, "why is it dusty here!" and the evening was over. Time went by that way.

Like a heroin addict who knows the poison of your life, with my fever completely gone, but about to be too late, I went to the office schlepping myself in a panic and JERKED MYSELF AWAKE at the first meeting!

Return to “Turkish (Türkçe)”