Hebrew Translation Game

Mikey93
Re: Hebrew Translation Game

Postby Mikey93 » 2014-07-27, 17:29

IpseDixit wrote:I think this is too simple an excuse for what you did, I'm sure there are other reasons that you don't want to reveal.

אני חושב שזה פשוט תירוץ למה שעשית, אני בטוח שיש סיבות אחרות לכך שאתה לא רוצה לגלות.

If there's one thing that gets on my nerves, it's our neighbour. I've lost count of the times I have watched him digging in our backyard and eating our potatoes and everything. He said he had been doing this for the good of his family, but what annoys me most is that he has no family at all.
Native: (sk) (cs)
Advanced: (en)
Intermediate:(fr) (he)
Beginner: (ar) (es)

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-07-30, 10:08

אם יש אחד דבר שמרגיז אותי, זה השכן שלנו. אני הפסקתי לספור של הפעמים שראיתי אותו לחפור בגן שלי ולאכול תפוחי אדמה וכולם. הוא אמר שעשה זה למשפחה שלו, אבל מה שמרגיז אותי ביותר, זה שאין לו משפחה :?:

Certain nations need an external enemy to feel united; in such a case, it means that they were not made to be together in the first place.

Babelfish

Postby Babelfish » 2014-08-01, 15:22

IpseDixit wrote:
אני מבין שאני הגבתי יתר על המידה (בצורה מוגזמת), וגםאני עצמי המום מההתנהגות שלי. אני חושב שהכל בגלל העובדה שאני לא מרגיש בסדר (טוב) לאחרונה

(Now I'm using green to indicate words which were omitted from the translation)
IpseDixit wrote:
אם יש אחד דבר [אחד] שמרגיז אותי, זה השכן שלנו. אני הפסקתי לספור את הפעמים שראיתי אותו חופר בגן שלנו ואוכל תפוחי אדמה והכל. הוא אמר שעשה זה למעןטובת המשפחה שלו, אבל מה שמרגיז אותי ביותר, זה שאין לו משפחה בכלל

Certain nations need an external enemy to feel united; in such a case, it means that they were not made to be together in the first place.

אומות מסוימות צריכות אויב חיצוני כדי להרגיש מאוחדות; במקרה כזה, זה אומר שהן לא אמורות היו להיות ביחד מלכתחילה.

It's been a long day, really; let's call it a night and continue tomorrow.

Mikey93

Postby Mikey93 » 2014-08-03, 20:47

Babelfish wrote:It's been a long day, really; let's call it a night and continue tomorrow.

באמת שזה היה יום ארוך; בוא (בואו?) נקרא לזה לילה ונמשך מחר.

I can’t stand it when people constantly hum, whistle, giggle uncontrollably, sniff, etc. right next to me.

Babelfish

Postby Babelfish » 2014-08-08, 15:25

אני לא יכול לסבול שאנשים מהמהמים, שורקים, מצחקקים בלי שליטה, מושכים באף וכו' ממש לידי.

* "Call it a night" is an English expression which doesn't translate literally into Hebrew. There's no direct equivalent; using the Wiktionary definition I'd say "בוא/בואו נלך לישון" (let's go to sleep).

The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.

Mikey93

Postby Mikey93 » 2014-08-12, 8:03

Babelfish wrote:* "Call it a night" is an English expression which doesn't translate literally into Hebrew. There's no direct equivalent; using the Wiktionary definition I'd say "בוא/בואו נלך לישון" (let's go to sleep).

My bad, I could guess as much. I did not realize that it is actually an expression, even though I'm familiar with "call it a day".

The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.

השועל החום המהיר קפץ מעל הכלה העצלן

"Agency" is actually a misnomer since we specialize in realisation of illegal transactions and I admit that things get sometimes out of hand and it ends up with a bloodbath as in a slaughterhouse.

Mikey93

Postby Mikey93 » 2014-08-13, 23:00

Mikey93 wrote:"Agency" is actually a misnomer since we specialize in realisation of illegal transactions and I admit that things get sometimes out of hand and it ends up with a bloodbath as in a slaughterhouse.

"סוכנות" זו בעצם שם מטעה כי אנחנו מתמחים בעסקאות בלתי חוקיות ואני מודה שלפעמים דברים יוצאים מכלל שליטה וזה מסתיים בשפיכות דמים כמו בבית מטבחיים.

For some reason, I am getting the words like “conscience, consciousness, and conscientiousness” muddled up sometimes.

Babelfish

Postby Babelfish » 2014-08-16, 11:40

Mikey93 wrote:
"סוכנות" זה בעצם שם מטעה ...

מאיזושהי סיבה אני לפעמים מתבלבל בין המלים "מצפון, תודעה, ומצפוניות".

Well, that last sentence only really works in English :P Some things cannot be translated easily.

Mikey93

Postby Mikey93 » 2014-08-20, 8:21

Babelfish wrote:Well, that last sentence only really works in English :P Some things cannot be translated easily.

נו, המשפט האחרון ההוא ממש עובד רק באנגלית. יש דברים שלא יכולים להיות מתורגמים בקלות.

To me she was the embodiment of beauty, but rumour has it, that her exterior hides an evil character.

Babelfish

Postby Babelfish » 2014-08-22, 14:53

עבורי היא היתה התגלמות היופי, אך לפי השמועה, חיצוניותה מסתירה אופי מרושע.

In 1969 Man has set foot on a world outside Earth for the first time.

Mikey93

Postby Mikey93 » 2014-08-24, 9:58

Babelfish wrote:In 1969 Man has set foot on a world outside Earth for the first time.

ב-1969 בן אדם צעד לראשונה על כוכב מחוץ לכדור הארץ.

Hearing the sad news the feeling of sadness came upon all of us and no one summoned up the energy to say anything.

Babelfish

Postby Babelfish » 2014-08-30, 14:11

בשומענו* את החדשות העצובות, תחושת העצבות ירדה על כולנו ואף אחד לא גייס את הכוח לומר דבר.
* Literary form, colloquially כששמענו (=when we heard) would probably be used.

I haven't heard from her for several days, I'm beginning to feel she's not that much into me anymore.

Mikey93

Postby Mikey93 » 2014-08-31, 23:35

Babelfish wrote:I haven't heard from her for several days, I'm beginning to feel she's not that much into me anymore.

כבר כמה ימים לא שמעתי ממנה. אני מתחיל להרגיש שהיא כבר לא כ"כ מחבבת אותי*.

*Maybe מעוניינת בי would fit better?

I hate these pop-up ads every time I go onto the Internet. And my printer goes off and seizes up every time I try to print more than 10 pages.

Mikey93

Postby Mikey93 » 2014-09-02, 11:09

Being a bookworm has its advantages.
להיות תולעת ספרים זה בעל יתרונות משל עצמו.

literally "Being a man is to be in possession of its own advantages"

This sentence comes from the forum „Translations“ and I found it particularly difficult to translate. The absence of the verb „to have“ makes me still desperate at times. Besides, I am not sure how to translate this using יש ל- so as to retain its original „wording“ (יש יתרונות בלהיות ... sounds rather plain I assume). Anyway, I guess my translation is far from colloquial speech. Maybe some of you have better suggestions? Also, I suppose the literal translation I came up with sounds weird, to say the least ...

Babelfish

Postby Babelfish » 2014-09-05, 15:09

Mikey93 wrote:
Babelfish wrote:I haven't heard from her for several days, I'm beginning to feel she's not that much into me anymore.

כבר כמה ימים לא שמעתי ממנה. אני מתחיל להרגיש שהיא כבר לא כ"כ מחבבת אותי*.

*Maybe מעוניינת בי would fit better?
Actually yes, this fits the meaning better. מחבבת = likes, it's neutral.
Another possible translation is היא כבר לא כ"כ בקטע שלי (slang).
Mikey93 wrote:I hate these pop-up ads every time I go onto the Internet. And my printer goes off and seizes up every time I try to print more than 10 pages.

אני שונא את הפרסומות האלה שקופצות בכל פעם שאני נכנס לאינטרנט. והמדפסת שלי משתגעת ונתקעת בכל פעם שאני מנסה להדפיס יותר מעשרה דפים.

Try using a better browser 8-) I use Firefox with the AdBlock Plus and NoScript add-ons. Dunno about the printer, sorry...

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-09-22, 14:36

נסה להשתמש דפדפן אינטרנט טוב יותר. אני משתמש את פיירפוקס עם האדבלוק פלוס ונוסקריפת אדאונס. לא יודע על המדפסת, סליחה
:?:

And I wonder if you know how it really feels to be left outside alone when it’s cold out here, well maybe you should know just how it feels to be left outside alone.

TomBecker

Postby TomBecker » 2014-09-25, 8:45

Caitlín wrote:I decided to make the Hebrew version of this famous translation game. ;)

My flat is located on the first floor.

הדירה שלי המצאת בקומה הראשונה.

Hebrew is a hard language :D

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-09-25, 9:05

TomBecker wrote:
Caitlín wrote:I decided to make the Hebrew version of this famous game. ;)

My flat is located on the first floor.

הדירה שלי המצאת בקומה הראשונה.

Hebrew is a hard language :D

You should've translated the last sentence, that's to say this one:

And I wonder if you know how it really feels to be left outside alone when it’s cold out here, well maybe you should know just how it feels to be left outside alone.

Anyways...

עברית, היא שפה קשה

Babelfish

Postby Babelfish » 2014-09-25, 13:24

IpseDixit wrote:
נסה להשתמש בדפדפן אינטרנט טוב יותר. אני משתמש את בפיירפוקס עם התוספים אדבלוק פלוס ונוסקריפט. לא יודע עללגבי המדפסת, סליחה
:?:

ואני תוהה אם אתה יודע איך זה באמת מרגיש להיעזב בחוץ לבד כשקר פה, טוב אולי אתה צריך לדעת רק איך זה מרגיש להיעזב בחוץ לבד.

Tomorrow I must go the post office, I've been postponing it for too long.

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-09-25, 15:24

מחר אני צריך ללכת לסניף דואר, אני דחת מאזהרבה זמן

The sentence above may be terribly wrong because I have no idea how to express the present perfect continuous in Hebrew.

Return to “Hebrew (עברית)”