Mahabharata & Ramayana with facing english translation

Any language which does not have a specific forum can have a thread made for it here.
LoneWolf
Mahabharata & Ramayana with facing english translation

Postby LoneWolf » 2014-07-01, 19:22

Does anyone know if there exist such a thing as a Sanskrit version of the Mahabharata & Ramayana with facing english translation? If such a thing does not exist, which English translations of these works would you recommend most? And by the way, I'm not looking for abridged or romanced versions, I'm looking for the real original epics in their English translation.

Thanks in advance!

p.s: Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place. It wasn't clear to me where this message should fit.

księżycowy

Re: Mahabharata & Ramayana with facing english translation

Postby księżycowy » 2014-07-02, 11:57

It would fit in the Ancient/Classical/Extinct Languages sub-forum, as I'm guessing you'd like to learn/read Sanskrit and use the English to help you do so. I'm sure an admin would be happy to move it.

And I know of some pdf versions of both texts online in Sanskrit. I can't remember finding it with a facing English translation however.

modus.irrealis

Re: Mahabharata & Ramayana with facing english translation

Postby modus.irrealis » 2014-07-02, 12:06

There's the Clay Sanskrit Library (http://www.claysanskritlibrary.org/). It doesn't look like all the volumes of the Mahabharata and Ramayana are out yet, but they have (romanized) Sanskrit and English on facing pages. I don't know how good the translation is, though.

Return to “Other Languages”