Armenian (Հայերեն)

Any language which does not have a specific forum can have a thread made for it here.
linguoboy
Re: Armenian (Հայերեն)

Postby linguoboy » 2013-08-13, 20:01

Meera wrote:Oh Wow that's kidn of cool though if someone wanted to learn Armenian and went to Armenia to practice, they couldn't fall back on English. (That of course if they didn't know Russian :P)

I was thinking the same thing! Unfortunately, I'm more interested in Western Armenian, which is pretty much entirely spoken by people with whom I'd have a common language.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2013-08-13, 22:54

eskandar wrote:And you are totally right about the script. It's one of the most difficult aspects of an already difficult language. All the letters look alike, and there are too many variations (capital vs. lowercase and print vs. cursive means sometimes learning up to four different forms for each letter). Even when I developed a passable level of speaking in the language, I gave up on reading and relied on signs written in Cyrillic to get around Yerevan.
I thought it would be easy since it's nearly phonemic, but I have the same problem with it that I do with Japanese kana, that is, I really dislike scripts that have several different letter-forms. Even though I learned to read Cyrillic and Hebrew almost a decade ago, I still have never been able to get the hang of their cursive forms, because they're just too different from the printed ones. And at least in Cyrillic, the uppercase and lowercase letters look more or less the same, and Hebrew doesn't have lowercase.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

Meera

Postby Meera » 2014-02-12, 4:15

I'm not sure if these were posted before, but they are Armenian radio stations:
http://radiotoot.com/eng/listen-live/

http://hayhd.com/
अहिंसा/เจ
Learning: (hi) (ja) (ko) (fr)

Limagne

Postby Limagne » 2014-03-26, 16:36

Limagne

Postby Limagne » 2014-03-27, 13:38

Another poem by Sayat Nova :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vNyhXWi-f8

The diversity they have in terms of instrument is pretty cool. You can see they have an Iranian santour, a balkan santour, an Iranian kamanche and a Turkish kamanche :!: Then, the saz and the azeri tar also give a colourful ashik tone to the whole.

I guess it's one of the reason that makes classical Armenian music so versatile :D

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-04-05, 20:34

Is Armenian a relatively easy language to learn, or is it difficult?

It's alphabet is very pretty and aesthetically pleasing, from what I know of it, the language itself is pretty. I would love to learn Armenian(west, east, or standard. If there is a standard).

Michael

Postby Michael » 2014-04-05, 21:32

Koko wrote:Is Armenian a relatively easy language to learn, or is it difficult?

It's alphabet is very pretty and aesthetically pleasing, from what I know of it, the language itself is pretty. I would love to learn Armenian(west, east, or standard. If there is a standard).

There's some pretty good introductory information on the first page. Armenian has either two standards or none, depending on your viewpoint, those being Eastern and Western, of course.

I'm starting to wanderlust for it again. I had once taught myself how to write Armenian script, but I soon forgot, and now I forgot how to read it too.
American English (en-us) Neapolitan from Molise (nap) N Italian (it) B2 Spanish (es) Portuguese (pt) French (fr) Greek (el) Albanian (sq) B1 Polish (pl) Romanian (ro) A2 Azerbaijani (az) Turkish (tr) Old English (en_old) A1
„Çdo njeri është peng i veprave të veta.‟
Every human being is hostage to their own deeds.

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-04-06, 6:32

Thank you Aóristos, I took a look at the first few pages. I think I've got the script downpact, mainly in reading: on wikipedia(best source I could find) I figured out the declension of karnu(spring) even though I only wrote the Western transliterations once :)

If the language itself is as easy as its script, I've got myself a second language xD

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-04-06, 18:59

How does one properly transliterate Western Armenian? I've done it differently from wikipedia because it seems too outlandish. Here's how I've done it:

Ա- a
Բ- p
Գ- k
Դ- t
Ե- ye-, -e
Զ- z
Է- e
Ը- ë
Թ- th
Ժ- zh
Ի- i
Լ- l
Խ- x
Ծ- dz
Կ- g
Հ- h
Ձ- c
Ղ- gh
Ճ- j
Մ- m
Յ- (this is one I'm struggling with: wiki says "h-" is archaic, but the lesson on the first page of this forum gives the impression "h-" is still around)
Ն- n
Շ- sh
Ո- vo-, -o (except in a couple of words?)
Չ- č
Պ- b
Ջ- ch
Ռ- r (to my knowledge this is the same as Ր in WA)
Ս- s
Վ- v
Տ- d
Ր- r
Ց- ts
Ու- u (I understand this can also be ՈՒ when capitalised as well)
Ւ- v
Փ- ph
Ք- kh
և- yev-, -ev
Օ- o, ò
Ֆ- f

Please correct me.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2014-10-30, 17:58

For better or worse, I just ordered some Western Armenian courses, and a duo Western/Eastern Armenian dictionary.

I've always been more interested in Eastern Armenian, but then again, Western has a little more simplistic phonology, so that might be nice. Plus, I couldn't pass up the wonderful stuff I found.

הענט

Postby הענט » 2014-11-02, 12:10

Koko wrote:Thank you Aóristos, I took a look at the first few pages. I think I've got the script downpact, mainly in reading: on wikipedia(best source I could find) I figured out the declension of karnu(spring) even though I only wrote the Western transliterations once :)

If the language itself is as easy as its script, I've got myself a second language xD

LoL!!! If Arabic was as easy as its script. :) Scripts don't usually render the difficulty of a language. Ask Meera why is Arabic difficult to her, despite knowing Pashto which utilizes the Arabic script with some additional letters.

Armenian is beautiful. I hope to learn it in the future, because there are some Armenian speakers in my city.

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-11-02, 19:05

Of course the script doesn't show the difficulty of a language. I was sarcastic (although, it was very easy from what I got before quitting).

הענט

Postby הענט » 2014-11-02, 20:20

Koko wrote:Of course the script doesn't show the difficulty of a language. I was sarcastic (although, it was very easy from what I got before quitting).

Okay, sorry to hear that.

LMNY

Postby LMNY » 2015-03-25, 7:24

Hi!

I have a question regarding two vowels (ü, ö) that exist in Western Armenian but not in Eastern Armenian.

How can I transcribe these two vowels ü and ö into Eastern Armenian alphabets? My names happen to contain both vowels ...

Thank you very much!

Limagne

Postby Limagne » 2015-04-17, 19:26

Meera

Postby Meera » 2015-06-15, 7:29

Hello everyone, sorry if this was posted already (I didn't see it in any of the thread pages) but this is VOA Armenian that has news and audio in Armenian. I'm not sure if it is Eastern or Western.

http://www.amerikayidzayn.com/
अहिंसा/เจ
Learning: (hi) (ja) (ko) (fr)

vertovfan

Postby vertovfan » 2017-11-02, 12:32

Hello! I'm trying to transcribe and translate the inscriptions on some monuments that I saw on a recent trip to Armenia. These are from what I believe is a World War II monument in the village of Bagravan:

This one starts with "1970 թ" which probably refers to the date of construction, but I haven't made much progress past that. I've just started to learn the alphabet, and don't know much of the language at all. The next picture is from the opposite side of the monument:

Detail, in case the first picture is hard to read:

This one starts with something like "Հայրենական մեծ պատերազմում զոհված" (I think).

Any help would be much appreciated!

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-03-13, 14:05

Just in case anyone comes to this thread and hasn't seen our poll in the Georgian forum, please check out this poll that will help us decide what to do with the Northwest, Northeast Caucasian, Kartvelian languages and with Ossetic and Armenian.

viewtopic.php?f=22&p=1103268#p1103268

Zorva

Postby Zorva » 2018-12-12, 17:08

Խոսում չէ՞ ոչ մեկ հայերեն այստեղ։

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2020-04-26, 21:53

Please correct my mistakes in any language.

Return to “Other Languages”