"audiology" / "audiologist"

mōdgethanc
"audiology" / "audiologist"

Postby mōdgethanc » 2014-03-29, 22:02

I've looked all over the place and can't find a translation of the words "audiology" and "audiologist" in Czech. Does this profession even exist in the Czech Republic? How would you translate it?
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

Lazar Taxon

Re: "audiology" / "audiologist"

Postby Lazar Taxon » 2014-03-29, 22:26

"Audiologie" and "audiolog". Almost all medical specialties use the same Greco-Latin roots in Czech as in English.
Native: [flag=]en-us[/flag] Good: [flag=]es[/flag] [flag=]fr[/flag] Okay: [flag=]de[/flag] [flag=]la[/flag] Beginning: [flag=]it[/flag] Interested in: [flag=]he[/flag] [flag=]hi[/flag] [flag=]ru[/flag]

Today we are cats in the apocalypse!

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2014-03-29, 23:27

Lazar Taxon wrote:"Audiologie" and "audiolog". Almost all medical specialties use the same Greco-Latin roots in Czech as in English.
It's not a medical specialty but a health profession and a relatively recent one, which is why I asked if there even is such a thing in Europe. But thanks.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

הענט

Postby הענט » 2014-03-30, 9:02

Lazar is 100% right. I don't know what audiology is, but it follows the same pattern.

Biology - biologie, biologist - biolog.
Oftalmology - oftalmologie, oftalmologist - oftalmolog.
Psychology - psychologie, psychologist - psychologie.

Hope this helped.

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2014-03-30, 19:45

Dr. House wrote:Lazar is 100% right. I don't know what audiology is, but it follows the same pattern.
An audiologist is a health-care professional specializing in identifying, diagnosing, treating and monitoring disorders of the auditory and vestibular system portions of the ear. Audiologists are trained to diagnose, manage and/or treat hearing , tinnitus, or balance problems. They dispense, manage, and rehabilitate hearing aid users and assess candidacy and map cochlear implants. They counsel families through a new diagnosis of hearing loss in infants, and help teach coping and compensation skills to late-deafened adults. They also help design and implement personal and industrial hearing safety programs, newborn hearing screening programs, school hearing screening programs, and provide special fitting ear plugs and other hearing protection devices to help prevent hearing loss. Audiologists are trained to evaluate peripheral vestibular disorders originating from inner ear pathologies. They also provide treatment for certain vestibular and balance disorders such as Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV). In addition, many audiologists work as auditory scientists in a research capacity.

As a non-medical professional, the medical specialty that's closest to audiology would be, IMO, otolaryngology, followed by perhaps neurology.
Biology - biologie, biologist - biolog.
Oftalmology - oftalmologie, oftalmologist - oftalmolog.
Psychology - psychologie, psychologist - psychologie.

Hope this helped.
Thanks. (It's "ophthalmology' in English, though.)
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

הענט

Postby הענט » 2014-04-02, 16:32

Oops a typo. Thanks for pointing it out. :)

nancyfromafrica
Country:ZASouth Africa (Suid-Afrika / uMzantsi Afrika / South Africa)

Postby nancyfromafrica » 2014-05-03, 7:57

Audiology is the science which deals with the study of hearing, balance, and related disorders. Its practitioners, who treat those with hearing loss and proactively prevent related damage are audiologists.
I love reading books Charles Dickens is my favourite author

Return to “Czech (Čeština)”