"evolutionism"

This forum is the place to have more serious discussions about politics and religion, and your opinions thereof. Be courteous!

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Forum rules
When a registered user insults another person (user or not), nation, political group or religious group, s/he will be deprived of her/his permission to post in the forum. That user has the right to re-register one week after s/he has lost the permission. Further violations will result in longer prohibitions.

By default, you are automatically registered to post in this forum. However, users cannot post in the politics forum during the first week after registration. Users can also not make their very first post in the politics forum.
Mars80
"evolutionism"

Postby Mars80 » 2013-09-03, 10:30

Do people who believe in evolution ever refer to themselves as "evolutionists", or it that just a term that those who don't believe in evolution use?

linguoboy

Re: "evolutionism"

Postby linguoboy » 2013-09-03, 14:31

Mars80 wrote:Do people who believe in evolution ever refer to themselves as "evolutionists", or it that just a term that those who don't believe in evolution use?

Professor Dan Graur seems to believe it's the latter: Nowadays, when you see the term “evolutionist” or “evolutionism,” you may safely skip the text, as it is almost certainly the rambling of a demented creationist or an IDiot [sic]. However, in the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th, the term denoted an adherent of evolutionary theory.

It's not a term I really see much of a need for. After all, I don't call myself a "gravitationist" to indicate that I accept the theory of gravity.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Ludwig Whitby

Postby Ludwig Whitby » 2013-09-03, 15:06

linguoboy wrote:
Mars80 wrote:Do people who believe in evolution ever refer to themselves as "evolutionists", or it that just a term that those who don't believe in evolution use?

Professor Dan Graur seems to believe it's the latter: Nowadays, when you see the term “evolutionist” or “evolutionism,” you may safely skip the text, as it is almost certainly the rambling of a demented creationist or an IDiot [sic]. However, in the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th, the term denoted an adherent of evolutionary theory.

It's not a term I really see much of a need for. After all, I don't call myself a "gravitationist" to indicate that I accept the theory of gravity.

That is because there are almost no people who don't accept the theory of gravity. In the 19th and 20th century evolution was under a lot of discussion and the subject of many debates both in the US and in Europe and there was a need to differentiate between the adherents and the opponents of evolutionary theory. In Europe that debate is over and one could say that there is no need for the term "evolutionist". In USA, the debate is far from over and that term is surely still needed.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2013-09-03, 15:17

Ludwig Whitby wrote:In Europe that debate is over and one could say that there is no need for the term "evolutionist". In USA, the debate is far from over and that term is surely still needed.

In the USA, the debate is over in scientific circles. It's only in politics that the need to differentiate arises, and I don't see why there needs to be a special term for the accepted scientific viewpoint. It's enough that, as with "flat-Earthers" or "climate change denialists", we have a term for the dissenters.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

ling

Postby ling » 2013-09-03, 15:29

It's one of those terms that creationists use to describe people who accept the fact of evolution or who study evolution professionally. It's not one that actual scientists tend to use. But the term has been put out there and is repeated so often that sometimes biologists catch themselves using it to describe themselves.
Native: [flag=]en[/flag] Advanced: [flag=]zh[/flag] Actively studying: [flag=]th[/flag][flag=]id[/flag] Passively dabbling: [flag=]lkt[/flag]

md0

Postby md0 » 2013-09-03, 16:16

In Europe that debate is over

:whistle: (unless we agree I live in Western Asia).
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)
Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)Elementary Finnish (fi)Netherlands Dutch (nl)

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2013-09-03, 17:10

"Evolutionist'" makes it sound like evolution is an ideology, not a scientific theory. As we know, it's ID that is ideologically motivated, so "IDers" makes more sense to me semantically.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2013-09-03, 17:48

No, we call ourselves mentally sane people.

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2013-09-04, 2:28

meidei wrote:
In Europe that debate is over

:whistle: (unless we agree I live in Western Asia).

I think that most of Europe agrees that you do, at least geographically ;)
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language.

Mars80

Postby Mars80 » 2013-09-04, 13:26

IpseDixit wrote:No, we call ourselves mentally sane people.

As opposed to being physically sane?

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2013-09-04, 13:30

Mars80 wrote:
IpseDixit wrote:No, we call ourselves mentally sane people.

As opposed to being physically sane?

Nope.

Levo

Postby Levo » 2013-09-06, 10:15

I never called myself an "evolutionist", though if this term exists and means the thing above, then tell me.

Return to “Politics and Religion”