Best and worst neighbour

This forum is the place to have more serious discussions about politics and religion, and your opinions thereof. Be courteous!

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Forum rules
When a registered user insults another person (user or not), nation, political group or religious group, s/he will be deprived of her/his permission to post in the forum. That user has the right to re-register one week after s/he has lost the permission. Further violations will result in longer prohibitions.

By default, you are automatically registered to post in this forum. However, users cannot post in the politics forum during the first week after registration. Users can also not make their very first post in the politics forum.
mōdgethanc
Re: Best and worst neighbour

Postby mōdgethanc » 2013-08-05, 20:51

linguoboy wrote:Unlike hard drugs, which are apparently a go. But only if you're in municipal administration.
Don't blame me, I voted for the gay guy.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2013-08-05, 21:05

mōdgethanc wrote:Don't blame me, I voted for the gay guy.

My heart said, "Please let it be the gay guy!" But my penis said, "GIMME THE WIFE-BEATING RACIST DRUNK!" I try not to think too much about what that says about me.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2013-08-05, 21:11

mōdgethanc wrote:It must suck being a country with a small population next to a culturally dominant one that speaks the same language. Oh, wait a second ...

Thanks for sympathizing. :P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBpgcZ1zYJs

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2013-08-05, 22:49

linguoboy wrote:My heart said, "Please let it be the gay guy!" But my penis said, "GIMME THE WIFE-BEATING RACIST DRUNK!" I try not to think too much about what that says about me.

You're really into this whole hate-fuck thing, aren't you? That's okay; I always thought our trading barbs had a certain air of sexual tension.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

johnklepac

Postby johnklepac » 2013-08-09, 5:23

linguoboy wrote:You missed the point of the link. "А у вас негров линчуют" is not actually about lynching and never was; it's about using tu quoque arguments to deflect criticism and derail discussion. "If you think X is bad, well Y is far worse!" isn't actually a refutation of claims that X is bad. It's just a naked attempt to distract attention from them. Sadly, there's nothing specifically Russian about this sort of illogical thinking; you'll see parallel arguments from Americans, for instance, attempting to justify our own "War on Terror" targeting Muslims.

Hah, I actually thought it was supposed to be a righteous tactic of pointing out hypocrisies when I first heard of it (though I too questioned its relevance).

Marah

Postby Marah » 2013-08-30, 6:30

By the way modgethanc, why was it unlikely according to you that rebels could have gotten chemical weapons?
I'm not an expert on chemical weapons but is it so hard to make sarin gas? Aum Shinrikyo did, back in 1995 in Tokyo.
Par exemple, l'enfant croit au Père Noël. L'adulte non. L'adulte ne croit pas au Père Noël. Il vote.

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2013-08-31, 11:38

Especially when you read reports like this one. I just find it too difficult to tell who did what and who the rebels consist of, I certainly wouldn't be in favour of supporting new Taliban.

As long as it doesn't spread to neighbouring countries, it's best to stay out of civil wars, I think.
Please correct my mistakes!

Marah

Postby Marah » 2013-08-31, 11:47

Yes, I already linked it. http://rt.com/news/sarin-gas-turkey-al-nusra-021/
It's surprising (or maybe not) that it didn't make it to mass media. :?
Par exemple, l'enfant croit au Père Noël. L'adulte non. L'adulte ne croit pas au Père Noël. Il vote.

md0

Postby md0 » 2013-08-31, 12:17

Well, if it's RT who broke the story, I'd wait for another journalist group to investigate it from scratch first.

Not that there are good and bad guys is this war. Or any war.
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)
Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)Elementary Finnish (fi)Netherlands Dutch (nl)

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2013-08-31, 13:16

Marah wrote:Yes, I already linked it. http://rt.com/news/sarin-gas-turkey-al-nusra-021/

Sorry, I must have overlooked or forgotten that.

Ludwig Whitby

Postby Ludwig Whitby » 2013-08-31, 13:59

How awkward for the US.

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2013-09-01, 6:08

Marah wrote:By the way modgethanc, why was it unlikely according to you that rebels could have gotten chemical weapons?
I'm not an expert on chemical weapons but is it so hard to make sarin gas? Aum Shinrikyo did, back in 1995 in Tokyo.
Did I say that? It's possible they could obtain sarin gas, but where would they get SCUD missiles or whatever delivery method was used? IIRC we know, or strongly suspect, that Assad had them all along. That makes it more likely it was at least some faction in the Syrian government.
Yes, I already linked it. http://rt.com/news/sarin-gas-turkey-al-nusra-021/
Well, that's because it's RT and well, it's RT.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

Marah

Postby Marah » 2013-09-01, 11:54

Well, that's because it's RT and well, it's RT.

I didn't know what RT was. At least you get to hear the other side of the story. Propaganda is used by all countries after all.

Ludwig Whitby

Postby Ludwig Whitby » 2013-09-01, 12:15

Why exactly do you guys not trust RT? I don't consider RT much more biased than CNN and BBC.

md0

Postby md0 » 2013-09-01, 12:37

All channels are biased so you need to use your brain and multiple sources. But RT goes over the top to make up stuff (all they do is shout - I have watched it). Even China's CCTV9 is not as ridiculous.

And who the hell thinks that CNN is credible? I have watched that too.
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)
Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)Elementary Finnish (fi)Netherlands Dutch (nl)

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2013-09-01, 13:54

meidei wrote:And who the hell thinks that CNN is credible? I have watched that too.

Most people here. I tried explaining to an online friend that there are many parts of the world where it's not seen as credible, even with examples of fake reports and he went "I can't believe that, I've only heard CNN being referred to as a very credible source".
But I also tried to explain in vain to him after the Dutch and French referendum about the EU Constitution that not everyone wants to have something like the USE, again "I can't believe that, everyone wants that in the end" even though even the German media mentioned that not everyone is in favour of deeper integration (which says a lot, considering how EU-friendly it is and especially was).

Ludwig Whitby

Postby Ludwig Whitby » 2013-09-01, 14:12

What I meant was that I consider RT to be in the same category of credibility as CNN and BBC.

Lada

Postby Lada » 2013-09-01, 14:23

Car wrote:
meidei wrote:And who the hell thinks that CNN is credible? I have watched that too.

Most people here.

Why? Does CNN have German branch? Aren't there German news channel?

I watched BBC World and CNN only for learning English and for a very short period of time. AFAIK nobody watches this here, we got our own brainwashing machines :) RT is unknown here I think as it is not in Russian, though it's available just like CNN, BBC, Fox news and others. Basically I trust local media especially when they show happy Putin watching dolphins like today - I believe in this :yep:

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2013-09-01, 14:57

Lada wrote:Why? Does CNN have German branch? Aren't there German news channel?

When I lived in Germany there was an international CNN channel broadcast there in English. It was actually somewhat better than the U.S. domestic CNN channel.
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2013-09-01, 15:22

Lada wrote:
Car wrote:

Most people here.

Why? Does CNN have German branch? Aren't there German news channel?

CNN used to be involved in n-tv, taking over a lot of their coverage, sometimes, other German channels do that, too. With CNN, I meant the international English-language version Yasna mentioned. CNN is seen as a credible source and covers many events more than the German news channels n-tv or N24, which are more like documentary channels nowadays. The public channels do show a lot of news and at least the bigger of the two groups has one of they biggest correspondent networks in the world, but they have no news channels (n-tv and N24 are private channels). CNN simply is seem as a good source for news outside of Germany, being able to cover more. I think they became famous during the first Gulf war. So it's about budget, programming and also tradition, with CNN being available here before n-tv or N4 even started. But most people actually don't watch CNN (or any news channel, at least BBC World News is common available as well).

Return to “Politics and Religion”