Redrawing borders

This forum is the place to have more serious discussions about politics and religion, and your opinions thereof. Be courteous!

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Forum rules
When a registered user insults another person (user or not), nation, political group or religious group, s/he will be deprived of her/his permission to post in the forum. That user has the right to re-register one week after s/he has lost the permission. Further violations will result in longer prohibitions.

By default, you are automatically registered to post in this forum. However, users cannot post in the politics forum during the first week after registration. Users can also not make their very first post in the politics forum.
Yasna
Re: Redrawing borders

Postby Yasna » 2013-08-21, 18:03

mōdgethanc wrote:If Argentina takes back the Falklands before I'm 50, I'll buy you a Coke.

Thanks, but I don't drink soda.
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2013-08-21, 18:22

Yasna wrote:Thanks, but I don't drink soda.
Not even Coke Zero? Fine, I'll buy you a drink of your choosing. (Within reason, that is; I'm not made of money.)
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

Michael

Postby Michael » 2013-08-21, 20:23

mōdgethanc wrote:
HoItalosPhilellên wrote:1. Liberate West Bank and Gaza from Israeli tyranny for an independent Palestine.
So they can live under Palestinian tyranny. Great!

That's apparently what they want, or'd rather have.

Now that's the only reasonable idea you've had yet.

Reasonability was a requirement? I must have missed that somewhere in the OP.
American English (en-us) Neapolitan from Molise (nap) N Italian (it) B2 Spanish (es) Portuguese (pt) French (fr) Greek (el) Albanian (sq) B1 Polish (pl) Romanian (ro) A2 Azerbaijani (az) Turkish (tr) Old English (en_old) A1
„Çdo njeri është peng i veprave të veta.‟
Every human being is hostage to their own deeds.

language learner

Postby language learner » 2013-08-21, 20:25

Y'all know what's going to happen if I were to redraw some borders...

Ludwig Whitby

Postby Ludwig Whitby » 2013-08-21, 21:17

That got me thinking about Shopi of Western Bulgaria. I know very little of them but from what I gather they are quite similar to Torlaks of Southern Serbia (and by extension ethnic Macedonians as well) in regard to both language and culture. It would have been interesting to see what kind of historical development their hypothetical country would have had.

Eastern border - the yat border
Northern border - border of the Torlak dialects
Western border - Kosovo and Metohija
Southern border - Greece

including Gora region of Southern Kosovo

Lur

Postby Lur » 2013-08-21, 21:48

linguoboy wrote:Wow, the Spanish must really care about protecting the Andalusian coastline!

I do!

linguoboy wrote:So where's the popular cry to annex Andorra?

I include it in Catalonia por no particular reason but nobody cares.

mōdgethanc wrote:OH NO NOT THE DUNES

I'm a geologist dammit!

That province has some gorgeous landscapes btw.
Geurea dena lapurtzen uzteagatik, geure izaerari uko egiteagatik.

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2013-08-22, 3:53

Ludwig Whitby wrote:If there is anything good that Greece and Turkey did in the 20th century it's the Treaty of Lausanne and the population transfer. I would say that they should have had another Treaty of Lausanne after the Cyprus war. Have all Greeks in Greece and all Turks in Turkey. With no possibilities for ethnic conflict, the hostilities will fade away eventually.

Yay to crimes against the humanity :P

азъбукывѣдѣ wrote:Y'all know what's going to happen if I were to redraw some borders...

Well, that probably will solve Macedonian naming issues

Michael

Postby Michael » 2013-08-22, 6:23

азъбукывѣдѣ wrote:Y'all know what's going to happen if I were to redraw some borders...

http://www.bulgarie.net/images/san-stefano-map.bmp

You'll might as well take Chalkidiki while you're at it. :roll:
American English (en-us) Neapolitan from Molise (nap) N Italian (it) B2 Spanish (es) Portuguese (pt) French (fr) Greek (el) Albanian (sq) B1 Polish (pl) Romanian (ro) A2 Azerbaijani (az) Turkish (tr) Old English (en_old) A1
„Çdo njeri është peng i veprave të veta.‟
Every human being is hostage to their own deeds.

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2013-08-22, 6:26

You two seem to forget that catholicism is the biggest religion in the Netherlands: even though our king is from a calvinist house, there are more catholics (and even more people without a religion, but okay). Brabant and Limburg in the Netherlands have always been catholic, there have been a lot of catholic villages in the rest of the Netherlands and they got more children, that's why there are more catholics. But in Belgium the situation is slightly different because there the whole country is catholic (apart from the people without a religion, again).
I already said that a) Belgium is Catholic and b) most Belgian Catholics don't care about their religion. I doubt the Netherlands is any different.
HoItalosPhilellên wrote:That's apparently what they want, or'd rather have.
I'm sure they do. What I'm doubting is whether it will improve anything for them.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

Ludwig Whitby

Postby Ludwig Whitby » 2013-08-22, 11:23

Sol Invictus wrote:
Ludwig Whitby wrote:If there is anything good that Greece and Turkey did in the 20th century it's the Treaty of Lausanne and the population transfer. I would say that they should have had another Treaty of Lausanne after the Cyprus war. Have all Greeks in Greece and all Turks in Turkey. With no possibilities for ethnic conflict, the hostilities will fade away eventually.

Yay to helping people survive ethnic cleansing and avoiding genocide!

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2013-08-22, 18:13

@Ludwig Whitby: Read that novel by Louis de Bernières, Birds without wings. Seriously, that transfer was wrong. You can't and shouldn't tell people who have lived somewhere for centuries and centuries in peace with their neighbours that now they should move to another country, with the result that many of them die.

mōdgethanc wrote:
You two seem to forget that catholicism is the biggest religion in the Netherlands: even though our king is from a calvinist house, there are more catholics (and even more people without a religion, but okay). Brabant and Limburg in the Netherlands have always been catholic, there have been a lot of catholic villages in the rest of the Netherlands and they got more children, that's why there are more catholics. But in Belgium the situation is slightly different because there the whole country is catholic (apart from the people without a religion, again).
I already said that a) Belgium is Catholic and b) most Belgian Catholics don't care about their religion. I doubt the Netherlands is any different.

Yeah, now I read it again, I see I misinterpreted this: "Sounds to me like they would've been happier with France than with the Netherlands. Nowadays, though, I doubt being Catholic and French-speaking is all that important to the average Flemish person."
I thought you were implying that the Netherlands on contrary with Belgium isn't catholic, but you're just saying that both countries are highly secularised. Which is true, although each in its own way: in Belgium the culture is (still) more catholic than in most parts of the Netherlands. I've got the impression, but maybe I'm wrong, that in Belgium religion is for a lot of people/catholics something you can easily make fun of. Whereas in the Netherlands, religion is a very serious topic and even though lots of people think you should make fun of it, you also realise that it's something that could get you killed (Theo van Gogh). But that's probably because in Belgium people make fun of their own religion while in the Netherlands it's mostly people who are secular against muslims and protestants.
Even though the state and the mainstream way of thinking in the Netherlands is secular, there's also the Biblebelt, in Belgium they don't have that. I don't think it would be a problem when Flandern would unite with us though (on the contrary...).
Native: Dutch
Learns: Latin and French
Knows also (a bit): English, German, Turkish, Danish

Corrections appreciated.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2013-08-22, 19:56

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk wrote:@Ludwig Whitby: Read that novel by Louis de Bernières, Birds without wings. Seriously, that transfer was wrong. You can't and shouldn't tell people who have lived somewhere for centuries and centuries in peace with their neighbours that now they should move to another country, with the result that many of them die.

The shitty thing about the population exchange (and about most large-scale transfers like it) is that people would have suffered and died either way. It's always tricky to second guess after the fact whether the suffering would've been less had a different solution been tried. I'd like to think that there would've been some way to prevent mass tragedy without having to forcibly relocate millions of people. But do you really think the political will to do that existed at the time? (Keep in mind that the treaty was signed less than a year after the Catastrophe of Smyrna and while the genocide of the Pontic Greeks was still ongoing.)
Last edited by linguoboy on 2013-08-22, 20:02, edited 1 time in total.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2013-08-22, 20:02

Ludwig Whitby wrote:
Sol Invictus wrote:

Yay to helping people survive ethnic cleansing and avoiding genocide!

How exactly what you suggest is not ethnic cleansing? If these people were willing to go out of their free will they would have already left. The most anyone should do is provide them incentives to move out of free will

gomen

Postby gomen » 2013-08-22, 20:18

Minor Asia Greeks who were forced to relocate to Greece were hated and ghetto-ised by Greeks. It took many generations for the stigma of "turk-born" to fade away. Just a trivia.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2013-08-22, 20:31

gomen wrote:Minor Asia Greeks who were forced to relocate to Greece were hated and ghetto-ised by Greeks. It took many generations for the stigma of "turk-born" to fade away. Just a trivia.

To me, the real tragedy of these disputes is that often no one involved is primarily concerned about the welfare of the refugees themselves. They become a political football or--worse--a stick with which to beat a rival. The Palestinians are a prime example.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2013-08-23, 3:05

Ludwig Whitby wrote:Yay to helping people survive ethnic cleansing and avoiding genocide!
The thing is that population transfer is usually a part of, or precedes, ethnic cleansing and/or genocide. So it's not surprising it doesn't have the greatest reputation after the events of the 20th century (Armenian Genocide, Soviet famine, Holocaust, Yugoslav Wars, etc., etc.).
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

Ludwig Whitby

Postby Ludwig Whitby » 2013-08-23, 3:31

mōdgethanc wrote:
Ludwig Whitby wrote:Yay to helping people survive ethnic cleansing and avoiding genocide!
The thing is that population transfer is usually a part of, or precedes, ethnic cleansing and/or genocide. So it's not surprising it doesn't have the greatest reputation after the events of the 20th century (Armenian Genocide, Soviet famine, Holocaust, Yugoslav Wars, etc., etc.).

Yeah, but the Yugoslav Wars didn't have a population transfer. That's the problem. The refugees didn't get the state support the Greeks and Turks got in the Lausanne treaty. It was obvious from day one of the war that ethnic cleansing is going to take place and it could have been done much more humanely. I even met a refugee who suddenly found herself in a foreign country that is supposed to be her motherland, without an ID card, money nor anything else other than the clothes that she wore and no possibility to come home in the near future. A treaty such as this would have at least granted her rights such as being able to go back and get all of her possessions and a new home (of around the same value as the one she left behind) and citizenship, not refugee status.

The Armenian genocide was one of the reasons for the Lausanne treaty, though. It's better to move people than let them be slaughtered. Srebrenica could have been avoided with a population transfer if you think about it.

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2013-08-23, 3:49

Ludwig Whitby wrote:Yeah, but the Yugoslav Wars didn't have a population transfer. That's the problem. The refugees didn't get the state support the Greeks and Turks got in the Lausanne treaty. It was obvious from day one of the war that ethnic cleansing is going to take place and it could have been done much more humanely. I even met a refugee who suddenly found herself in a foreign country that is supposed to be her motherland, without an ID card, money nor anything else other than the clothes that she wore and no possibility to come home in the near future. A treaty such as this would have at least granted her rights such as being able to go back and get all of her possessions and a new home (of around the same value as the one she left behind) and citizenship, not refugee status.

The Armenian genocide was one of the reasons for the Lausanne treaty, though. It's better to move people than let them be slaughtered. Srebrenica could have been avoided with a population transfer if you think about it.
Okay, bad example. A better one: Partition of India. That was a more or less voluntary population transfer where tons of people ended up dying, but maybe there would have been large-scale ethnic cleansing if they had stayed in their countries. We'll never know. Anyway, I agree with linguoboy that dividing people is sometimes necessary when they want to kill each other, but at some point they have to learn to get along, if only as neighbours.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

Ludwig Whitby

Postby Ludwig Whitby » 2013-08-23, 12:13

Well of course. Greece and Turkey were not only neighbours, but best friends in the period from 1923 to WWII. What made them enemies again was Cyprus and ethnic minorities that were left behind, not being a part of the Lausanne treaty (like the Greeks of Istanbul who suffered a pogrom in the 1950s and eventually emigrated fearing for their lives). Mostly Cyprus, though.

With no issues remaining, nations forget their hostilities. My prime example for that is Bulgaria. Serbia and Bulgaria were in wars (not counting the Medieval period) in 1885, 1913, WWI and WWII. The issues were among others the territories of modern Southern Serbia and Republic of Macedonia. After WWII Macedonia was no longer Serbian and the people living in Southern Serbia (that Bulgaria had considered to be Bulgarians) were fully serbianized. With no unresolved issues remaining the two nations started living in peace as good neighbours. This could of course still change if people such as the guy that posted the Great Bulgaria map begin to seriously consider expansion. But I am sure that that is only harmless nationalistic daydreaming.

gomen

Postby gomen » 2013-08-23, 14:01

Well of course. Greece and Turkey were not only neighbours, but best friends in the period from 1923 to WWII. hat made them enemies again was Cyprus and ethnic minorities that were left behind

Where did you get that? :shock: Greece and Turkey only (kinda) normalised their diplomatic relations in the 1990s.

Return to “Politics and Religion”