Consensus on Assimil's "Le Portugais du Brésil"?

Moderator:Luís

nebulousdawn
Consensus on Assimil's "Le Portugais du Brésil"?

Postby nebulousdawn » 2013-07-10, 18:46

Hey guys. I'm wondering what the general consensus is on Assimil's "Le Portugais du Brésil", the current version. It's French-Br.Portuguese and as far as I know it's the usual "With Ease/Sans Peine" B2 stuff.

The reason I ask is that I went on Amazon.fr and the book alone seemed to get good reviews, while the package with the audio seemed to get mediocre or poor reviews, which I was a little surprised to see:

http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/2700502 ... ttom_links
(Book only)

http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/2700520 ... ttom_links
(Book and audio)

They have an older version called "Brésilien sans peine" which may be better.

If it ain't that great, any recommendations on a good starter course for Br. Portuguese would be greatly appreciated (preferably English>Portuguese since I'm a native English speaker). I'm a little confused by the Teach Yourself offerings, as they seem to get mixed reviews depending on the version.

(Obviously either Assimil or TYS will be "foot-in-the-door" resources for me and I'll supplement them with other stuff as well)

Thanks guys!

Marah

Re: Consensus on Assimil's "Le Portugais du Brésil"?

Postby Marah » 2013-07-11, 16:26

I've used it and I must say it's not that great. They cover the grammar very shallowly. In fact it's probably the worst Assimil course I've used. And I've used many.
Anyway it's not like the grammar is very difficult but hey...
Par exemple, l'enfant croit au Père Noël. L'adulte non. L'adulte ne croit pas au Père Noël. Il vote.

nebulousdawn

Re: Consensus on Assimil's "Le Portugais du Brésil"?

Postby nebulousdawn » 2013-07-11, 18:43

Marah wrote:I've used it and I must say it's not that great. They cover the grammar very shallowly. In fact it's probably the worst Assimil course I've used. And I've used many.
Anyway it's not like the grammar is very difficult but hey...

Hey Marah, thanks for the heads up. I'll stick with a combination of English TYS and Pimsleur in the beginning stages then rather than go for the French Assimil course. I appreciate the help!

Return to “Portuguese (Português)”