DOs and DON'Ts in your countries

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Sou

Postby Sou » 2003-01-25, 11:01

This may shock some or all of you. Thais eat pizzas with ketchup. Or maybe a bit weirder by putting some chilli peppers or tabasco too. :shock: :D
Sous l'ombre de Bouddha, je prends refuge.
Sous l'ombre de Dharma, je prends refuge.
Sous l'ombre de Sangha, je prends refuge.

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2003-01-25, 14:20

Well. In Portugal we eat pizza using a knife and fork at home or at a restaurant but when we buy a pizza slice somewhere in the street you need to use your hands :)
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

schalke81

Postby schalke81 » 2003-01-25, 16:34

Australians eat pizza with their hands- the way you are suppose to!

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2003-01-25, 17:46

Luis wrote:Well. In Portugal we eat pizza using a knife and fork at home or at a restaurant but when we buy a pizza slice somewhere in the street you need to use your hands :)

I forgot to mention this. When buing a pizza slice somewhere in the street, you need to use your hands here, too.

leppie

Postby leppie » 2003-01-27, 9:43

Pizza:

You can eat pizza with hand even in a restaurant or in a pizzeria, in Italy, and nobody
will complain.
Normally you slice it with fork and knife (you don't ripe it with your hands) and then
you take the slice, some people even fold it, and then eat it.

Maybe in a very formal occasion you don't do it.

But you can use also knife and fork...

:lol: What you don't have to to is to put KETCHUP on it... Oh my God! :lol:

NulNuk

Postby NulNuk » 2003-01-27, 15:40

I still think the best way to eat Pizza is using NulNuk mouth !!!! :0P
where is me pizza !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :'0{
Every thing I write, wrote, or will write, its in my own opinion, for I have no other.
Release me from the duty of being polite and remind you, "I made use of my own brain".

the_real_onion

Postby the_real_onion » 2003-01-28, 9:56

In the US, most people are horrified when they hear Belgians put mayonaise on their fries...Anyone else have that? :?:

Saaropean

Postby Saaropean » 2003-01-28, 10:15

the_real_onion wrote:In the US, most people are horrified when they hear Belgians put mayonaise on their fries...Anyone else have that? :?:

In Germany there are even people who like it rot-weiß ("red and white"), that is with both mayonnaise and ketchup. :?

Weldal

Salad with carrot, potato and mayonaise

Postby Weldal » 2003-01-28, 10:23

In the US, most people are horrified when they hear Belgians put mayonaise on their fries...Anyone else have that?

I have never heard about that, but here in Brazil, at least in Rio, it's very popular to put mayonaise in a salad made with carrot and cooked potato cut in small square pieces.
And this is very tasteful... :)

the_real_onion

Postby the_real_onion » 2003-01-28, 10:24

Saaropean wrote:
the_real_onion wrote:In the US, most people are horrified when they hear Belgians put mayonaise on their fries...Anyone else have that? :?:

In Germany there are even people who like it rot-weiß ("red and white"), that is with both mayonnaise and ketchup. :?

well...add a tiny bit of cognac and you get what we call "cocktail sauce" :wink: (and yes, i do eat fries that way sometimes) :shock:

There are more weird combinations though (especially on fries, our national food), but they are not as widespread as mayonaise.

Patricia

Postby Patricia » 2003-01-28, 10:38

Lots of people put mayo or even ketchup on their fries here. Personally, I find it disgusting. :wink:

Saaropean

Postby Saaropean » 2003-01-28, 11:05

I like French fries with ketchup, curry and ketchup (as a side dish to Currywurst), maybe even with brown meat sauce (together with meat). :)
I spent almost a year in Québec, but I never dared trying their national food: poutine, fries with tasteless cheese and brown sauce. In Canada, you can eat that around every corner. :?
I must admit that I'm not a great fan of fries anyway... :wink:

Psi-Lord

Postby Psi-Lord » 2003-01-29, 3:04

I personally like my chips with ketchup, pepper and a lot of salt, but I do know people who like them with mayonnaise. Well, I guess it's amazing that I don't like them with it, as I absolutely love mayonnaise—sometimes I just eat it by itself! ;) It goes amazingly well with chicken nuggets as well.
português do Brasil (pt-BR)British English (en-GB) galego (gl) português (pt) •• العربية (ar) български (bg) Cymraeg (cy) Deutsch (de)  r n km.t (egy) español rioplatense (es-AR) 日本語 (ja) 한국어 (ko) lingua Latina (la) ••• Esperanto (eo) (grc) français (fr) (hi) magyar (hu) italiano (it) polski (pl) Türkçe (tr) 普通話 (zh-CN)

rugxaplacxo

filipinas

Postby rugxaplacxo » 2003-01-29, 5:18

in our country, the philippines :wink: , people are used to coming in late (usually 15 minutes late) :x . i find this culture quite disturbing. my math teacher, whom we pay to teach us for 5 hours a week, actually teaches us for only 4 ours since we meet for an hour and 15 minutes 4 times a week. :evil: .in effect, we got less for what we paid for. :( but we can't do anything... it's our culture, we have to live with it.

Psi-Lord

Postby Psi-Lord » 2003-01-29, 5:48

It sounds like Brazilian brides—it's usually expected, for reasons I can't understand, that the bride arrives late for her wedding. But some of them take that way too "seriously" and can be as late as 50 minutes! Some priests, though, have started making some pressure against that—the later the bride is, the shorter the ceremony will be! ;)
português do Brasil (pt-BR)British English (en-GB) galego (gl) português (pt) •• العربية (ar) български (bg) Cymraeg (cy) Deutsch (de)  r n km.t (egy) español rioplatense (es-AR) 日本語 (ja) 한국어 (ko) lingua Latina (la) ••• Esperanto (eo) (grc) français (fr) (hi) magyar (hu) italiano (it) polski (pl) Türkçe (tr) 普通話 (zh-CN)

ekalin

Postby ekalin » 2003-01-29, 10:10

Since we are already totally off-topic, I'll complement Psi's post. Actually, Brazil is not exactly a country of pontuality. If you say your party starts at 20h00, there are people that will start preparing themselves at 20h00, which mean they will arrive after 21h00 :-)

And this is valid for other appointments too. Except the more formal ones... It's not a good idea to be late for a job interview, for example :-)

Weldal

I hate this national habit of being late...

Postby Weldal » 2003-01-29, 10:34

Actually, Brazil is not exactly a country of pontuality.

Well, I think that punctuallity is more related to "do's and don'ts" than fries and mayonnaise... :wink:
I simply hate this national habit of being late. No matter the degree of formality of the meeting I always do the best that I can to arrive at least 10 minutes before it starts and I feel very angry when someone is very late, unless there is a strong excuse, like traffic jam or anything worse... :twisted:

Leviwosc

Postby Leviwosc » 2003-01-29, 11:39

Coming late is a mortal sin here in the Netherlands.....

Here in the Netherlands you've to be on time. I'm a man of the clock. When I make an appointment with somebody I expect he/she is on time at the meeting place. We don't tollerate that people come 15 minutes to late.

Just like we say in the Netherlands: "Liever een uur te vroeg dan één minuut te laat." (Better an hour to early than one minute to late)

At my work there also some people which come originally from other countries... and some of them came also to late. Always a few minutes to late! Here in the Netherlands people are bussy at work and when there appointments we have to make those promisses coming true, otherwise it become a real mess! So you plan your day with appointments and if everybody come on the right time, there's no problem. But if they come a few minutes till an half-hour to later. Your planning will be worthless.

Those people which came late every day, I've told they have to be on time, otherwise they could search for an other job, because I will fire them! Now there always on time!

07:00 is 07:00 and not 07:30 !

With kind regards,
Ron de Leeuw
The Nehterlands
Image Image | Image Image Image Image | Image Image Image

ekalin

Postby ekalin » 2003-01-29, 13:15

Ron de Leeuw, Cave Canem wrote:Coming late is a mortal sin here in the Netherlands.....

I believe it is like this in the whole Europe. (except Portugal, isn't it, Luís ;-) )

And I also don't like this habit. I'd rather be always on time, but sometimes I know the other people will be coming late, so I don't bother getting there on time, I know I'll only wait more time! :evil:

Weldal

Actually it happened today...

Postby Weldal » 2003-01-29, 21:38

Ron wrote:At my work there also some people which come originally from other countries... and some of them came also to late. Always a few minutes to late! Here in the Netherlands people are bussy at work and when there appointments we have to make those promisses coming true, otherwise it become a real mess! So you plan your day with appointments and if everybody come on the right time, there's no problem. But if they come a few minutes till an half-hour to later. Your planning will be worthless.

Actually it happened today at my work some hours after my last message on this topic: I had an appointment with a client at 14:00 and he arrived at...15:00 ! Then, I could analyse only one sample in the microscope, while I had planned to analyse two in the afternoon...
It happened exactly what Ron had said... :roll:
But there is a proverb here in Brazil that says that the client has always reason, so I did mention his delay, but if I were the client he would have to prepare his ears to listen to me... :evil:

Return to “Culture”