Turkey in the EU

This forum is the place to have more serious discussions about politics and religion, and your opinions thereof. Be courteous!

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Forum rules
When a registered user insults another person (user or not), nation, political group or religious group, s/he will be deprived of her/his permission to post in the forum. That user has the right to re-register one week after s/he has lost the permission. Further violations will result in longer prohibitions.

By default, you are automatically registered to post in this forum. However, users cannot post in the politics forum during the first week after registration. Users can also not make their very first post in the politics forum.

Should Turkey be admitted into the EU?

Turkey is suitable to be admitted now
14%
Turkey is not suitable at the present, but will be in the future
48%
Turkey should not be admitted now or in the future (explain your reasons)
38%

Total votes: 126

Varislintu
Re: Turkey in the EU

Postby Varislintu » 2013-03-21, 10:03

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk wrote:As long as Turkey is accusing other countries of stealing and abusing their children I don't think there will be a big chance they will belong to the EU.

I'm out of the loop on this -- what are you referring to? Is it an adoption issue? Emigration?

Tenebrarum

Postby Tenebrarum » 2013-03-21, 10:33

Varislintu wrote:
Hoogstwaarschijnlijk wrote:As long as Turkey is accusing other countries of stealing and abusing their children I don't think there will be a big chance they will belong to the EU.

I'm out of the loop on this -- what are you referring to? Is it an adoption issue? Emigration?

http://dot429.com/articles/1468-turkish ... bt-couples :wink:
!Chalice! Communion wafer of the tabernacle

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2013-03-21, 10:34

Varislintu wrote:

An adoption issue yes, see:

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news ... -row-looms
Native: Dutch
Learns: Latin and French
Knows also (a bit): English, German, Turkish, Danish

Corrections appreciated.

md0

Postby md0 » 2013-03-21, 10:58

Something already done by EU member states. :whistle:
EU has the legal tools to force the current EU member to accept it, but doesn't, leaving it up to them.
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)
Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)Elementary Finnish (fi)Netherlands Dutch (nl)

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2013-03-21, 11:24

Thanks for the links!

Michael

Postby Michael » 2013-03-21, 15:38

I don't like how Turkey stubbornly denies or subtly justifies the Armenian Genocide, not to mention the horrific events with the Greek and Armenian communities of Smyrna. Yet even with my emotional relationship to the Greek nation, I try my best to be open-minded towards Turkey. (I like the Turkish Republic's legacy of secularism and the dismantling of Islamic power in Turkey, for one.)
American English (en-us) Neapolitan from Molise (nap) N Italian (it) B2 Spanish (es) Portuguese (pt) French (fr) Greek (el) Albanian (sq) B1 Polish (pl) Romanian (ro) A2 Azerbaijani (az) Turkish (tr) Old English (en_old) A1
„Çdo njeri është peng i veprave të veta.‟
Every human being is hostage to their own deeds.

Garethw87

Postby Garethw87 » 2013-05-02, 4:06

No!
TIKAI RIGA
Native:[flag=]en-GB[/flag] - Full time:[flag=]fr[/flag][flag=]de[/flag] - Casual:[flag=]yue.hant[/flag] - Eventually:[flag=]lv[/flag][flag=]lu[/flag][flag=]zh[/flag]

Levike

Postby Levike » 2013-05-03, 17:47

The E.U. is about European countries.

The majority of Turkey isn't in Europe so I don't see why we should accept it.

Morocco wasn't accepted because of its geographycal position and with Turkey it's the same.

md0

Postby md0 » 2013-05-03, 18:24

Your country, my country and Turkey rank close or next to each other in most Eurobarometers.
Just saying.
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)
Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)Elementary Finnish (fi)Netherlands Dutch (nl)

Lur

Postby Lur » 2013-05-04, 12:48

The borders of "Europe" are a mere convention.
Geurea dena lapurtzen uzteagatik, geure izaerari uko egiteagatik.

Saim

Postby Saim » 2013-05-04, 23:57

Levente.Maier wrote:The majority of Turkey isn't in Europe so I don't see why we should accept it.

By that definition, none of Cyprus is in Europe. And yet...

Luke wrote:The borders of "Europe" are a mere convention.

+1

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2013-05-05, 0:21

When I made this thread three years ago, I was in favour of letting Turkey into the EU. Now that I've seen the damage that letting underdeveloped third-world kleptocracies run amok can do, I'm decidedly against it.

Good coffee though.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

md0

Postby md0 » 2013-05-05, 0:27

Well, they damage themselves though. And EU then comes and offers them a framework to rebuild themselves, which might turn out to be positive in 25 years time.

By that definition, none of Cyprus is in Europe. And yet...

It's our 'We are at least better than Malta™' mentality that got us in (seriously, our leaders treat Malta as a frenemy, it's funny :P).

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2013-05-05, 0:31

On the other hand I want to see the EU let Turkey join solely because of the hilarity that would ensue as millions of Greeks collectively lose their shit over it. We all know how good they are at handling adversity.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

md0

Postby md0 » 2013-05-05, 0:35

Well, Cyprus' official stance is pro-Turkey's admission... if they agree to pretend Cyprus is a superpower in par with Russia, China, and the People's Republic of Manyothers :lol: (God, reality is so funny :lol: )

JackFrost

Postby JackFrost » 2013-05-05, 4:34

mōdgethanc wrote:On the other hand I want to see the EU let Turkey join solely because of the hilarity that would ensue as millions of Greeks collectively lose their shit over it. We all know how good they are at handling adversity.

*ahem* Macedonia as the next EU member.

I can't wait to see the melodrama from that too.
Neferuj paħujkij!

Michael

Postby Michael » 2013-05-05, 7:12

Greece and the Republic of Macedonia may not actually be as bitter amongst each other as you think. The RofM is, or at least was, one of Greece's biggest economic partners. I've asked a Greek who came from Thessaloniki, the capital of Macedonia itself, about the whole naming dispute, and he said it's just a little political squabble. Though I am aware that in the RofM they take things more seriously.
American English (en-us) Neapolitan from Molise (nap) N Italian (it) B2 Spanish (es) Portuguese (pt) French (fr) Greek (el) Albanian (sq) B1 Polish (pl) Romanian (ro) A2 Azerbaijani (az) Turkish (tr) Old English (en_old) A1
„Çdo njeri është peng i veprave të veta.‟
Every human being is hostage to their own deeds.

Hypocrisy

Postby Hypocrisy » 2013-05-06, 19:33

So much opposition in this thread. I'd like to have a say in it. I'm sure you guys would like to hear the stance of a Turkish citizen on this matter. There actually are a lot of crucial aspects to the admission of Turkey into the EU. I'd like to highlight some conspicuous points that apparently factor into people's opinion of Turkey and the admission alone.

The European people are very inclined to eagerly embrace what they are told or what they are served in the newspapers or in the internet. The media is extravagantly corrupt and all it takes for a casual citizen to fall for a crude fabrication is a wall of slanderous text. People won't bother to trace the credibility of what they hear at a random place. I'm not saying these to justify how amicable and compassionate of a country Turkey is. However, forming your opinion around flimsy facts is not a reasonable action that a discreet individual would do. A humongous amount of public opposition taking root in Europe can be recounted with this example.

Some people who govern somewhat radical political outlook base their disapproval upon traditional notions that stem from historical disputes and cultural differences between the European countries and Turkey. Since this argument doesn't contain logic in itself, i don't see a point to object to. The European people have had a contrived union against threats from the east all along. I can't deny that Turkey had committed despicable deeds over the course of time. So the people might feel like the Turks from the east are still traditionally alien and somehow hazardous to them or might completely take a vengeful approach to this issue, technologial advancement and political alteration notwithstanding. They are acceptable in their right to do so. All i can say is that it's a bit of an extreme view.

I'm not an expert on economical and political subjects. So i'll leave it up to you guys to thoroughly analyze the pros and cons of letting Turkey into the EU. It'd probably be enormously beneficial for Turkey to establish further integration within Europe and benefit from the great market opportunities the union has to offer. It might also come in handy for the European Union to reach out into the heart of the Arab land through peaceful relations with Turkey. Nonetheless, i'm aware that the admission is bound to certain terms that Turkey must sort out particular issues and carry itself over to a commendable position to be eligible for a shot at the membership.

It's prominent that Turkey has a big hiatus to close up and become on par with the European countries in terms of financial deficiencies, educational discrepancies, environmental amenities, human rights, political unrest and whatnot. I dislike the inept and hypocritical people in the government who are ostensibly leading Turkey out of this turmoil. Besides, as an atheist, the Islamic route Turkey has recently been steered into is disheartening for future hopes, since it gradually escalates the tension in international interactions.

This is how i feel about this controversial matter. For all the reasons i listed out, it requires both sides to act together in a collaborative fashion. Europe needs to do away with prejudicial objections and fallacies it puts forward and stop dredging up the past. Turkey needs to reinforce the very foundation of its democratic structure and develop in every possible way. Maybe then the link between Europe and Turkey will branch out and we'll get along. Not for the sole purpose of Turkey's inclusion in the EU, but for a conclusive reconciliation between two distinct worlds.

Saim

Postby Saim » 2013-05-06, 22:16

My opinion is that you don't really need the EU. By all means participate in the Council of Europe (and get the Kurdish and Armenian issue in order, seriously), and other common inciatives, but I think you have more links to the Near East and given the declining state of Europe I think you'd be better off becoming a leader within that area than trying to compete with Germany and France within Europe.

mōdgethanc wrote:Now that I've seen the damage that letting underdeveloped third-world kleptocracies run amok can do, I'm decidedly against it.

:?:

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2013-06-08, 17:33

Hypocrisy wrote:The European people are very inclined to eagerly embrace what they are told or what they are served in the newspapers or in the internet.

As an European, I find this generalization pretty offensive and of course untruthful. I think many (maybe most of) European people are usually quite sceptic and ready to doubt what they are told by mass media.

Return to “Politics and Religion”