Latvian Ghost Stories?

Moderator:Sol Invictus

Sparky2013
Latvian Ghost Stories?

Postby Sparky2013 » 2013-01-18, 10:50

Hello,

I'm an Irish writer doing some research for a story and I'm just looking for some Latvian ghost stories/folk tales.

Does anyone remember any from their childhood? It's difficult to find anything online. All I can find is Vadātājs who is a demon who sometimes comes in the form of an animal or child and gets his victims lost and then leads them to their death.

Any ideas welcome!

Thanks,

Sparks

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Latvian Ghost Stories?

Postby Sol Invictus » 2013-01-18, 13:39

Pfft, what I remember from childhood was something about omnipresent red hand that haunted imaginations of fellow kindergarteners, the whole story pretty much was that it snuck upon you, then there was also red or green bus that took you into direction unknown (oh, web search says besides red hand there also was blue coat and giant meat grinder :lol: the later apparently would come out from shaft under some poor kidsbed and her mother would later find her nail in ground meat from local butcher shop)... As for folklore proper many teikas are horror stories, not sure though you can get them in English, though. Vadātājs is a standard story wich goes like this - our hero is a person going somewhere alone and is attacked by vadātājs, which takes form of somebody asking to follow or unknown force that affects ability to think straight or blinds them, which leads our hero to nearest body of water to be drowned; usually, of course, the premise is that they lived to tell the tale

Levo

Postby Levo » 2013-02-02, 19:33

It almost sounds like as if a "leader" would be a horrible creature :D
Vadītājs :ohwell:

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2013-02-02, 23:13

Ah, but reflexive-ness makes a big difference :roll: we got such creatures as Lietuvēns for our own enjoyment

Return to “Latvian (Latviešu valoda)”