DOs and DON'Ts in your countries

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator:Forum Administrators

anne2
DOs and DON'Ts in your countries

Postby anne2 » 2003-01-23, 6:38

Each country or region has some traditions you're not allowed to do it in front of public that might be considered as bad things or taboo if you're seen.

It might be useful if we share our DOs and DON'Ts to our friends here.

Now I'm going to class, will post mine tonight.

Lyle

Postby Lyle » 2003-01-23, 8:22

Don't shake hands with Malay using your left hand in Malaysia.

Don't touch Malay's head.
天上的星星为何像人群一般地拥挤?
地上的人儿为何像星星一样地疏远?

Weldal

In Brazil...

Postby Weldal » 2003-01-23, 11:01

In Brazil men never kiss each other on the face, only men and women kiss each other or only women kiss each other on the face. I said this because I know that in other countries it is natural that men kiss each other on the face, but here it is considered not social at all...
Burping after a meal is also a very impolite behavior here...So you have to pay attention in a social dinner when you drink too much coca-cola... :wink:
And when you are in a public transport like bus, train or underground younger people (under 50 years old) are always supposed to let free seats for older people (over 60 years old), although many younger people don't respect this basic rule, what is a shame... :roll:

Patricia

Re: In Brazil...

Postby Patricia » 2003-01-23, 11:11

Weldal wrote:In Brazil men never kiss each other on the face, only men and women kiss each other or only women kiss each other on the face. I said this because I know that in other countries it is natural that men kiss each other on the face, but here it is considered not social at all...

Well, here men DO kiss on the cheek. Everybody kisses. It's now even become popular among grown up men too. I understand that all this kissing is sometimes shocking to foreigners, who tend to think that every male in this country is gay (not true!). Actually, you can be considered impolite if you meet someone and you don't kiss them when you greet them, unless it's a very formal situation, where you'll probably shake hands.

As for the burping and the bus seats, we have the same rules as in Brazil.

Weldal

This recalls me that chat...

Postby Weldal » 2003-01-23, 11:59

Patricia wrote:Well, here men DO kiss on the cheek

Well, this recalls me that chat some two months ago... :D
We had very different comments, from Saaropean saying that in Germany not even shaking heads is allowed, only nodding with the head, to other people saying that in their countries men kissing each other on the face is very natural...

Leviwosc

Postby Leviwosc » 2003-01-23, 12:45

Do's and Dont's in the Netherlands......

Never touch other people, not any part of the body is lisenced. Only very good friends do.

When you meet somebody you don't kiss him/her but you shaking hands.

Men don't kiss each other, never. (a few gays don't follow this rule :lol: )

Don't stare to people, eye contact must be taking as less time as possible. Looking to people can be seen as a treat.

Talk to eldery people in formal language.

Never put your legs on the table.

Don't burbing at the dinner, and chew your food with your mouth closed.

Use knife and fork to eat, hands are forbidden!

Never calling swearwords in public.

When you go to the toilet, don't say you want to go to the toilet, but say that you want to wash your hands, or brush your nose.

And there many more....

Greets
Ron de Leeuw
the Netherlands
Image Image | Image Image Image Image | Image Image Image

Saaropean

Postby Saaropean » 2003-01-23, 14:35

Weldal wrote:Saaropean saying that in Germany not even shaking heads is allowed, only nodding with the head

I didn't say shaking hands is not allowed. :shock: In fact it's the appropriate way of greeting someone.
But among friends, it's often enough to just nod, because that's considered less formal.

Of course what Ron stated for the Netherlands is almost the same in other central and western European countries.
Let me write a few comments anyway.
Ron wrote:Never touch other people, not any part of the body is lisenced. Only very good friends do.

Except for shaking hands, which is, of course, very different from holding hands. :wink:

Ron wrote:Men don't kiss each other, never. (a few gays don't follow this rule :lol: )

There are a few cases where it's perfectly acceptable that two men kiss each other: if they are not both hetero, or if they are relatives. A man is allowed to give his father a kiss on the cheek. :P

Ron wrote:Don't stare to people, eye contact must be taking as less time as possible. Looking to people can be seen as a treat.

Yes, but on the other hand, you should look into the eyes of the person you are talking to. If you don't, that person might think you're not honest.

Ron wrote:Talk to eldery people in formal language.

Really? I address every adult stranger (except for other students) in formal language, no matter how old they are. But I can't imagine using "Sie" instead of "du" towards my grandparents, for example.

Ron wrote:Don't burp at the dinner

Burping and farting is not only taboo while you're eating... :roll:

Ron wrote:Use knife and fork to eat, hands are forbidden!

Here, too, there are a few exceptions: Soup is eaten with a spoon :wink:, and the hands can be used for fast food like burgers with fries or a hot dog. :)

Ron wrote:Never calling swearwords in public.

Except in certain TV shows, but that's another topic... :?

Ron wrote:When you go to the toilet, don't say you want to go to the toilet, but say that you want to wash your hands, or brush your nose.

In an informal situation (I mean among friends or relatives), you can pronounce it. :)
By the way: I once tried to explain the German expression Ich geh' mal für kleine Jungs/Mädchen to a South American guy, but obviously I failed, since he replied You can come to jail when you do that in my country... :lol:

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2003-01-23, 14:51

HeHeHe :lol:

You Northeners are all the same :-)

In Portugal, guys greet guys by handshaking, guys greet girls by kissing on both cheeks (left, then right :) ) and girls greet everyone by kissing. There are some exceptions though, when I guy would be allowed to kiss another guy :-) Me, for instance, I kiss my father, my grandfather and my older brother. Handshaking would seem too distant, since they're family.

Touching is allowed and very much used :wink: Gesticulation is very important and specially amongst friends, you can touch almost everything :D Favourite areas though are shoulders, hands, arms, the back, etc

Don't stare at people? :shock: So, when you meet someone, you don't greet him/her, you don't touch him/her and you don't look at him/her :?: Sounds... interesting :)

Here, eye contact is definitely very important :-)

Ron, there are many Portuguese dishes that need to be eaten using your hands, there's no other way :-)

Oh, and everyone is invited to everyone's house and you can even drop by uninvited at times :-D

After all this, Ron and Saaropean, how come you don't want us to label you as 'cold, unfriendly and rude', hehehe :P
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

Weldal

I have the same impression...

Postby Weldal » 2003-01-23, 15:14

Saaropean wrote:I didn't say shaking hands is not allowed. In fact it's the appropriate way of greeting someone.

Then probably I misunderstood, even more when several messages "pile up" in a public chat session... :)
But you Northern guys seem to be so formal and cold, that it didn't seem weird for me... :wink:

Luis wrote:After all this, Ron and Saaropean, how come you don't want us to label you as 'cold, unfriendly and rude', hehehe

I have the same impression, exactly as Luis... :wink:

NulNuk

Postby NulNuk » 2003-01-23, 15:18

about kissing ,no one ,not even gulz kiss in Israel ,no,no,nooooo :'0{
when my cousine from Argentina first came here ,she started kissing
every body in class ,they thoght she crazy :0o .

in Israel ,ppl dont dont just go dans with every body ,not even gulz
that is considered very sloty (+ here when gul go dance with someone it means
she whants this someone ) EU gulz have big problem with that ,they teaze
too much ,and offten they make mans mad ,becous it looks like
thy just joking on us :0{ )
I even so a Dutch gul allmost been beated because her behavour ,she tease
with an Arab boy in discotec,and he thoght she likes hem ,when he tryed
to hugh her durind dancing ,she ,she treated hem like he was some kind
of seek batard ,and sleept hem in the face ,than he got reall mad ,because
she was the one who came and start teasing with hem ,it was only natural
for hem to think she likes hem ,but she just a sloty EU gul ,and she
was only teasing with the poor "monkey" from here .
(I dont like and never use violense ,but I allso felt like slaping her on the face for her beheavor ,if a gul puts her hands arroun a man ,she shouldnt expet
from hem to keep hes hans in hes pokets ,thats stupid ).

when u whant to stop a car in Israel (no chance they will stop any way
and if they do ,they probably terrorist or seek bastards ),you dont do
with the hand like in the rest of the world ,here you just keep you`r
open hand down ,pointing in the ground .

other thing ,in Israel u dont say a guest that drop by ,that he is not wellcome
,ppl here ,like in probably most of the world ,drop by ,same is in Argentina
meatings are for busines ,friends you allways well come !!!!
telling some one to make an appointment to see you ,is like you were saying
he\she is not a friend !!! ,that gous for all Dutch\German ppl ,I never
so ppl from other countries having problems or complaning about that
on the contrary most my friends consider that German\Dutch beheavour
not good ,even swiss ppl say they are very wellcome ppl ,and cant understand
Dutch\German beheavor about that ,and Swiss ppl supoust to have
a culture very close to the German one .

I cant think of more things ,most thing usually depend on the kind of
ppl you are with ,and where ,and are not the same in all over Israel.

When you meet somebody you don't kiss him/her but you shaking hands.

I thoght Dutch gulz give the famus triple-kiss (maybe they just try to tease with NulNuk?)

Don't stare to people, eye contact must be taking as less time as possible. Looking to people can be seen as a treat.

upe, thats a big problem for NulNuk ,NulNuk allways look at ppl fase
specially eyes ,to learn them ,if not ,NulNuk gets very nervous ,but Dutch
gulz get mad at NulNuk when he looks at their eyes when speaking :'0{
( they just dont used to mans actually luking on their eyes NulNuk thinks
,they never say nothing to other boys looking in other plases :'0{ ).
Every thing I write, wrote, or will write, its in my own opinion, for I have no other.
Release me from the duty of being polite and remind you, "I made use of my own brain".

Saaropean

Postby Saaropean » 2003-01-23, 19:26

Luis wrote:Touching is allowed and very much used :wink: Gesticulation is very important and specially amongst friends, you can touch almost everything :D Favourite areas though are shoulders, hands, arms, the back, etc

You missed an important detail, Luis: :wink:
Ron wrote:Never touch other people, not any part of the body is lisenced. Only very good friends do.

It's allowed to touch a friends' shoulders, arms or back, though it is less often used than in "the South".

Luis wrote:Don't stare at people? :shock: So, when you meet someone, you don't greet him/her, you don't touch him/her and you don't look at him/her :?: Sounds... interesting :)
Here, eye contact is definitely very important :-)

No! :( There's a clear difference between staring at someone and looking into the eyes of the person you are talking to. The first one is taboo, while the second is a must.
Do "you southerners" consider it normal if someone stares at you from a distance?
When you're in a bus here, and you stare at someone instead of looking outside the window or fixing an imaginary "hole in the air", that person will be annoyed. And if s/he is violent, s/he might even beat you for having stared at her/him... :?

NulNuk wrote:in Israel ,ppl dont dont just go dans with every body ,not even gulz that is considered very sloty (+ here when gul go dance with someone it means she whants this someone )

Reminds me of New Year's 2001/2002. :wink: I was in a pub in Vancouver/Canada with some friends (2 German guys, a German girl and 3 Brazilian guys). Of course there was good music and a dancefloor, so we Germans started dancing naturally. But our Brazilian friends preferred standing around drinking beer, because they said "dancing is something for girls". We Germans couldn't understand that. :roll: In our eyes, they were either terribly shy or (after their "explanation") plain stupid. :lol:

I danced with several girls (not only that night), but I took it as it was: fun. :D Definitely not an invitation for going home with her... :shock:

NulNuk wrote:EU gulz have big problem with that ,they teaze too much ,and offten they make mans mad ,becous it looks like thy just joking on us :0{ ) I even so a Dutch gul allmost been beated because her behavour ,she tease with an Arab boy in discotec,and he thoght she likes hem ,when he tryed to hugh her durind dancing ,she ,she treated hem like he was some kind of seek batard ,and sleept hem in the face ,than he got reall mad ,because she was the one who came and start teasing with hem ,it was only natural for hem to think she likes hem ,but she just a sloty EU gul ,and she was only teasing with the poor "monkey" from here .
(I dont like and never use violense ,but I allso felt like slaping her on the face for her beheavor ,if a gul puts her hands arroun a man ,she shouldnt expet from hem to keep hes hans in hes pokets ,thats stupid ).

Wow, what a huge cultural difference... :shock: Here, people dance to have fun, nothing more nothing less.
In your description, I don't see any reason for being angry at the Dutch woman. I can understand why she was angry, though...

Reminds me of that brochure at the university where I was as an exchange student. Allow me to quote some parts that seemed to explain the obvious in my eyes:
Guide de séjour des étudiantes et des étudiants étrangers wrote:It is important to know that, for Québécois women, a date does not imply anything else but meeting the other at a specified place and time. "NO" always means "NO", and should never be interpreted otherwise.

Luis wrote:Oh, and everyone is invited to everyone's house and you can even drop by uninvited at times :-D

NulNuk wrote:other thing ,in Israel u dont say a guest that drop by ,that he is not wellcome ,ppl here ,like in probably most of the world ,drop by ,same is in Argentina meatings are for busines ,friends you allways well come !!!!
telling some one to make an appointment to see you ,is like you were saying he\she is not a friend !!! ,that gous for all Dutch\German ppl ,I never so ppl from other countries having problems or complaning about that

Coming without an invitation is dangerous. If you're lucky, the host has both time and coffee for you. If not, the host might not be at home, not have time for you at the moment or just no coffee and cake to offer you, just some elementary drinks. :wink:
The second point (the host doesn't have time for the guest) is probably the most annoying one, but it could happen... :?
I know we "northerners" didn't quite invent hospitality... :oops:

That doesn't mean it's taboo to just drop by. But when you do, there's always the danger that you might have to come back another time.
The advantage of the appointment is that you are sure the host has enough time for you, and that you get something to drink or even some cake or so if you come around tea time (Kaffee und Kuchen = coffee and cake)...

NulNuk

Postby NulNuk » 2003-01-23, 20:05

how can you understand the gul ,sorry ,but I defenetly think
it is not fair ,and not right that a girl can touch a boy ,but if he try to
do the same with her ,she gets angry and sleep hem ,if she wants
nothing with hem ,then she should do nothing , or at least ,tell hem in
before she start dansing ,not sleep hes face after he do exactly what
she did !!!! ,that is not right !!! :0{

I think if gulz whant to be equal to mans ,they should let mans be equal to
them ,but gulz whant to be more than man, they want all the rights
but they want no obligations ,they dont want to be rule ,but they want to rule
mans accept to be equal ,but is not anough for gulz ,they want to be on
the top ,and they want to be treated like we were old midle age knights
and do every thing for them ,but if we want something ,we are bad ppl
and they get mad on us and make us look bad infront of every body.

NulNuk demands to be EQUAL!!!!!!!!!! :'0{
Every thing I write, wrote, or will write, its in my own opinion, for I have no other.
Release me from the duty of being polite and remind you, "I made use of my own brain".

Weldal

Women dance, men drink...

Postby Weldal » 2003-01-23, 22:27

Saaropean wrote:Reminds me of New Year's 2001/2002. I was in a pub in Vancouver/Canada with some friends (2 German guys, a German girl and 3 Brazilian guys). Of course there was good music and a dancefloor, so we Germans started dancing naturally. But our Brazilian friends preferred standing around drinking beer, because they said "dancing is something for girls". We Germans couldn't understand that. In our eyes, they were either terribly shy or (after their "explanation") plain stupid.

Sorry, but this is exactly how it works here in Brazil: men go to parties to drink and women go to parties to dance, so when a guy is interested in some girl he asks her for a dance, but when he is not, then he drinks, just this. It's not natural here a man going to to a party with the purpose of dancing, drinking is so much more fun... :wink:
Seriously, we are not Russsians, so we are not supposed to be lovers of the dance or something like this. And carneval happens only once a year, so... :wink:
As for being stupid, we can also think that those typical German green and white clothes and green hat are rather stupid too... :lol:

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2003-01-23, 22:47

Weldal wrote:Sorry, but this is exactly how it works here in Brazil: men go to parties to drink and women go to parties to dance, so when a guy is interested in some girl he asks her for a dance, but when he is not, then he drinks, just this. It's not natural here a man going to to a party with the purpose of dancing, drinking is so much more fun...
Seriously, we are not Russsians, so we are not supposed to be lovers of the dance or something like this. And carneval happens only once a year, so...
As for being stupid, we can also think that those typical German green and white clothes and green hat are rather stupid too...

:shock: I'm shocked now :lol:

Brazilians have the fame of being hmm... jovial :D

I dance. My friends dance (male & female) and not dancing would be the really stupid thing to do (and weird too). A party needs music and with music you must dance. And trust me, you can drink and dance, and you'll even dance more and better after you drank :wink: Sitting is boring :x

After all, you walk around dancing semi-naked on the Carnival, why not the rest of the year? :lol: - Let's hope the younger Brazilians here have a different attitude towards dancing :roll:

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2003-01-23, 23:03

Saaropean wrote:The advantage of the appointment is that you are sure the host has enough time for you, and that you get something to drink or even some cake or so if you come around tea time (Kaffee und Kuchen = coffee and cake)...

Yeah, but there's no spontaneity on that :( It's seems so 'artificial' :D
Ok, you come, I'll smile and you'll give me cookies and coffee. But not earlier or later, cause I won't have time for you then... :?

You should always receive friends with a smile :-D If you're busy, pretend you're not :) Have you ever heard the word 'hospitality'? :wink: Oh, and offer the guest some real food, not a cup of coffee and small cookies :-D - It has to be something good and, specially lots of it :-D - The guest will obviously say 'no' most of the times, but it's the intention that counts :wink:

It can get really annoying with food over here :-) - 'cause you're not supposed to eat it all, but not eating much is as equally unpolite. So, if you were visiting someone in Portugal, they'd probably keep on filling your glass with coffee and making you eat cookies until you throw up :-D
I'm not joking... this is true. It's like 'Oh, eat another cookie' - 'No, thanks, I've had 10 already' - 'It doesn't matter, eat!!' - 'No, thanks' - 'Eat!! *grabs cookie and sticks it up your mouth* ... :lol: Ok, I added a little too much dramatization, but I've eaten too many terrible cookies on that :? After that, you'll be invited to dinner/lunch :D , which is even worse cause you won't have control on the plate and both it and the glass will keep on being continuously filled until you can't take it anymore, and even if you can't, you still gotta eat it anyway :-D If you came from a place far away, you'll be invited to sleep over too :roll:

I can say this is quite different from the evil Dutchmen :evil:
They don't even serve food at parties :!:
Plus, when I visited a Dutch family last summer, they offered me 1 cookie! Yes, 1 cookie :evil: They gave me one cookie and put the box far away and didn't make me eat more cookies (which were very good by the way) :evil: Northeners :!: :!: :lol:

Weldal

Music is made for the ears...

Postby Weldal » 2003-01-23, 23:11

- Let's hope the younger Brazilians here have a different attitude towards dancing

Then you think that the 3 Brazilian guys that Saaropean met in Canada are old too... :lol:
Well, as I said, Carneval only once per year, not the whole year...And most, if not all, naked dancers are women, not men, fortunately... :lol:
And for me music is made for the ears, not for the feet... :wink:

ekalin

Re: Music is made for the ears...

Postby ekalin » 2003-01-23, 23:18

Weldal wrote:Carneval only once per year, not the whole year...

Except in Bahia, of course.

Weldal

Yes, you are right, Ekalin...

Postby Weldal » 2003-01-23, 23:25

Ekalin wrote:Weldal wrote:
Carneval only once per year, not the whole year...

Except in Bahia, of course.

Yes, you are right, Ekalin, I forgot Bahia: those guys seem that they never get tired of carneval...
Probably they are the jovial Brazilian ones that Luis mentioned... :wink:

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2003-01-23, 23:45

Weldal wrote:Yes, you are right, Ekalin, I forgot Bahia: those guys seem that they never get tired of carneval...
Probably they are the jovial Brazilian ones that Luis mentioned...

Well, Expug is from Bahia. He doesn't seem jovial at all :-D

Weldal wrote:Well, as I said, Carneval only once per year, not the whole year...And most, if not all, naked dancers are women, not men, fortunately...

Well, yeah, but it lasts a long time :-D
And whenever I turn on my TV at 3am on Carnival Day, I can see semi-naked women and men (and some women who were once men) walking around the place singing and dancing :lol: Maybe I'm watching the wrong channel :wink:

P.S. Usually Portuguese TV stations broadcast the Brazilian Carnival events at Rio de Janeiro at late night, when nobody is watching :-D - That's why I mentioned 3am, not for the reason you're thinking :twisted:

Leviwosc

Postby Leviwosc » 2003-01-24, 1:17

Saaropean wrote:

Except for shaking hands, which is, of course, very different from holding hands. :wink:

Yes you're right, I was forgotten to write that. Touching is absolutely forbidden here, exept shaking hands.

Saaropean wrote:There are a few cases where it's perfectly acceptable that two men kiss each other: if they are not both hetero, or if they are relatives. A man is allowed to give his father a kiss on the cheek. :p

Do you realy mean that? I'll be shocked when I see that a guy kiss his father on his cheek. Men don't kiss, even sons and fathers don't. And you're right, homosexuals kiss each other and I've also kissed my boyfriend in public. But everybody is shocked than, so I'll note it as "don't" because it's not normal here.

Saaropean wrote:Yes, but on the other hand, you should look into the eyes of the person you are talking to. If you don't, that person might think you're not honest.

Just like you've said against Luis there's a difference between staring and looking. I can look you into your eyes, I also can stare at you the whole time... :)

Saaropean wrote:Really? I address every adult stranger (except for other students) in formal language, no matter how old they are. But I can't imagine using "Sie" instead of "du" towards my grandparents, for example.

I also do, but for me is everybody elder :D I'm still very young :lol: But you're right, again. Talking in formal language to every aldult stranger, but I won't talk in formal, against a guy of 25 years old.

And why don't you use, "Sie" for your grandparents? I always using, "U" for my grandpartents, which means the same, as you probably all ready knew.

Saaropean wrote:Burping and farting is not only taboo while you're eating... :roll:

That's locial...... huh??!!! Also yawn in public, at dinner or in an other situation is very impolited.

Saaropean wrote:Here, too, there are a few exceptions: Soup is eaten with a spoon :wink:, and the hands can be used for fast food like burgers with fries or a hot dog. :)

Oh, Mr. Funny.... :lol: Do you think we don't use spoons in the Netherlands? ;) Yeah, the youngers want to eat like monkies and eat burgers at the MC Donalds with there hands...

Saaropean wrote:Except in certain TV shows, but that's another topic... :?

I don't watch German television so often... but I all ready know that "Scheisse" is a very populair swear word. Are you also able to watch Jerry Springer there?

Saaropean wrote:
Ron wrote:When you go to the toilet, don't say you want to go to the toilet, but say that you want to wash your hands, or brush your nose.

In an informal situation (I mean among friends or relatives), you can pronounce it. :)
By the way: I once tried to explain the German expression Ich geh' mal für kleine Jungs/Mädchen to a South American guy, but obviously I failed, since he replied You can come to jail when you do that in my country... :lol:

You do? So when you're out you say, "Leuten, ich gehen zu das toilet" ?
I won't do that, they don't have to know what you're doing there :D

Hmmm funny, you say "Ich tgeh' mal für kleine Jungs" and we say, "Ik ga even een bevallen" what means something like, "I go to have a baby for a moment" Hehehehehe the repley of the South-American, is realy funny :lol:

Luis wrote:Touching is allowed and very much used :wink: Gesticulation is very important and specially amongst friends, you can touch almost everything :D Favourite areas though are shoulders, hands, arms, the back, etc

Aaaaah I don't like to be touched by other people, realy when they do I even can get agressive. Only my boyfriend may touche me, but nobody else. A holiday to Portugal isn't a good idea, seems to me.

Luis wrote:Ron, there are many Portuguese dishes that need to be eaten using your hands, there's no other way :-)

I still haven't eat Portuguese dishes, but if I do, I'll use my hands. But Dutch dishes you've to eat with knife, fork and spoon (Saaropean ;) ) There's only one dish we realy eat with our hands and that's chicken drumstick. But if you gonna eat potatoes with your hands, you're realy rude!

Luis wrote:Oh, and everyone is invited to everyone's house and you can even drop by uninvited at times :-D

Are you realy serious? Somebody who's not invited isn't welcome. And not everybody is invited in our houses. First you meet at a neutral place, café or a bar and than you can decide to take your guest with you. But somebody who's in front of your door and he/she isn't invited or you don't know so well, isn't welcome!

Luis wrote:After all this, Ron and Saaropean, how come you don't want us to label you as 'cold, unfriendly and rude', hehehe :P

Yes, where cold, or at least colder than South-Europeans, we're absolutely not rude. Because we respect and accept each other. Unfriendly we're also not. I'm very friendly, but there rules and when somebody don't follow those rules, I have to be unfriendly.

As a reaction to the post of NulNuk... Woman here are much more liberated than in other parts of the world. Woman dance with everybody, it doesn't mean there's something serious between those two people than. I think, that woman also danced with that Arabian guy, because she like to dance and she liked the guy. But she didn't liked the guy so much, that he was authorised to hug her.

It's happen here quite often, people say always "Hello" to each other, woman also, so they also greets immigrants from Turkey or Marocco, just simple "hello" but those people think, that the girls are intrested for sex or a relationship, but they're not. It's just polited to say hello. So I can imagine the situation and I can understand the Dutch woman. She was just making fun and that guy thought there was "more" between them, but it wasn't.

Luis wrote:I can say this is quite different from the evil Dutchmen :evil:
They don't even serve food at parties :!:
Plus, when I visited a Dutch family last summer, they offered me 1 cookie! Yes, 1 cookie :evil: They gave me one cookie and put the box far away and didn't make me eat more cookies (which were very good by the way) :evil: Northeners :!: :!: :lol:

Hehehehe, this is a very famous one! Dutch, drink a cup of tea or coffee and with every cup you eat 1 cookie! And than we put the box away in the closset. And my grandparents are even worst, sometimes I drink two cups of tea with them and I get only 1 cookie for both cups :lol:

Yeah, Dutch cookies are world famous, because there so good! But it's impolited to eat a lot of cookies, it's rude, when you eat more cookies you look like a pig that has only one wish, eating.... cookies are there because there tastefull, not because you're hungry. When you're hungry you can make a sandwich.

Those Northeners :lol:

With kind regards,
Ron de Leeuw
The Netherlands
Image Image | Image Image Image Image | Image Image Image

Return to “Culture”