O întrebare despre a plăcea/a iubi

jonc275
O întrebare despre a plăcea/a iubi

Postby jonc275 » 2012-11-05, 0:31

Bună seara,

Știu că noi spunem „a plăcea” pentru „like” și spunem „a iubi” pentru „love.” Eu învățai că un poate utilizează „a plăcea” pentru „love” de asemenea. Este „a iubi” pentru dragoste mai mult romantică și „a plăcea” pentru sublinieze că cineva se bucură ceva?

Va rog, iertați și corectați greșelile mele cu gramatica! Mulțumesc pentru ajutorul!

radio.gnome

Re: O întrebare despre a plăcea/a iubi

Postby radio.gnome » 2012-11-15, 14:31

jonc275 wrote:Bună seara,

Știu că se spune „a plăcea” pentru „like” și „a iubi” pentru „love.” Eu învățai(1)un poate utilizează(2) se poate folosi „a plăcea” şi pentru „love” de asemenea. Este „a iubi” pentru dragoste mai mult romantică și „a plăcea” pentru a sublinia că cineva se bucură de ceva?

Va rog, să îmi iertați și să îmi corectați greșelile mele(3) gramaticale! Vă mulțumesc pentru ajutor (4)!

Salut!

(1) While not technically incorrect this is past tense form is a regional form used only in Oltenia. The much more widely used tense is the perfect, in this case "eu am învăţat".

(2) Romanian doesn't have a similar pronoun to "one" in english, "man" in german, or "on" in french. Instead we use "se + verb". Also "a utiliza" is mostly used when talking about technical stuff. For more daily usage we have "a folosi".

(3) Since you already used "îmi", the "mele" becomes superfluous. It is already understood that they are your mistakes.

(4)This is a mistake that both those who are new to romanian as well as are new to english frequently make. You may have noticed that sometimes non-native english speakers often say something like "Thank you for help" because "help" is used without the definite article in their language. If you have a good romanian grammar book (I recommend http://www.seelrc.org:8080/grammar/pdf/stand_alone_romanian.pdf you'll get the hang of it eventually.

Ok, as to the topic at hand:

We use generally use "a plăcea" for "like" and "love" for most situations when describing something we like or enjoy. "A iubi" is used mostly for romantic situations but sometimes (rarely) it can be used for liking something.

For instance:

Îmi place pizza = I like pizza
However we can't say "(Eu) iubesc pizza" because it sounds wrong.

Sometimes it can be used like "(Eu) iubesc marea" = "I love the sea", or "(Eu) ador marea" (which has a somewhat stronger meaning). You will be able to discern when to use them as time goes by and get more familiar with the language.

With all that said, for you as a beginner, it is best that you simply use "a plăcea".

Anyway I hope that I made sense. Hope it helped!

jonc275

Postby jonc275 » 2012-11-19, 4:58

Hi, thanks so much for your help! I was thinking that it would be better to stick with "a plăcea" in most cases. Also that grammar PDF looks amazing. I will be sure to study it!

One last question: You said that the past tense I had used was rarely used outside of Oltenia, and instead the perfect tense was used much more often. So should I learn the past tense conjugations when I study verbs, or will I not need to know them for everyday language use?

radio.gnome

Postby radio.gnome » 2012-11-19, 7:45

So should I learn the past tense conjugations when I study verbs, or will I not need to know them for everyday language use?

I'm not sure I understand your question. If you want to speak correctly then you'll need to learn how to conjugate the verbs. For the compound perfect, the most widely used tense to show past action which is finished, it goes like this:

Eu am...
Tu ai...
El/ea a...
Noi am...
Voi aţi...
Ei/ele au...

to which you add one specific form of the verb.
For example for "a învăţa" it's "învăţat", so "eu am învăţat" "tu ai învăţat" "el/ea învăţat" etc.
For "a merge" (to go) it's "mers", so "eu am mers" "tu ai mers" etc etc.

I'll be honest and I'll say that verbs in romanian are a bitch to learn so you have your work cut out for you. :P But don't let that discourage you. :D If you have questions ask them here.

jonc275

Postby jonc275 » 2012-11-19, 18:12

Sorry, I probably phrased the question poorly. You had told me that the compound perfect tense (i.e. "am învăţat, ai învăţat," etc.) is much more widely used and not the other past tense, simple perfect I'm assuming ("învățai, învățași," etc.) -- so should I learn the simple perfect forms or do I only need to know the compound perfect for everyday use?

I know how to use the compound perfect to an extent, but I don't know how to form the simple perfect at all. That grammar book is fantastic -- I've spent some time this morning reading it. Believe it or not, I haven't had as much trouble with verbs as I have with noun/pronoun declension.

radio.gnome

Postby radio.gnome » 2012-11-20, 8:46

The compound perfect tense is more than enough. You don't need to know the simple perfect unless you plan to work in Oltenia. ;)

jonc275

Postby jonc275 » 2012-11-21, 5:32

Whew, that makes life a little bit easier! Thanks a bunch for your help!

Return to “Romanian (Română)”