Some translation into Portuguese

Moderator:Luís

Ewout Lamé
Some translation into Portuguese

Postby Ewout Lamé » 2003-01-20, 19:02

Hello dear Unilang-members,

I hope someone could help me with Portuguese. I am writing a story about a collegue who will depart as an exchange student for Porto soon. For a fake literature list of a fake scientific article, I wonder whether someone could translate the following:

International Symposium on Ramsesology (his name is Ramses)

The Importance of Ramses to the Lusitan World
Ramsesism and the Ramsesist Movement; Origins, Development, Perspectives
Ramses: Outstanding Figure in International Relations
Depicting the Hero: The Iconology of Ramses
A demographic approach to Ramses
Ramses: the Man and the Myth

Ramsesological Review

If I could have it by wednesday, it would be great. Many thanks!

Ewout Lamé
e.b.lame@student.kun.nl

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2003-01-20, 19:35

Quite strange translations these ones :wink:
As most of the words are invented, I just followed the regular word formation in Portuguese to get them, starting from the English version.

International Symposium on Ramsesology

Simpósio Internacional sobre Ramsesologia

The Importance of Ramses to the Lusitan World

A Importância de Ramses* para o Mundo Lusitano.

Ramsesism and the Ramsesist Movement; Origins, Development,Perspectives

O Ramsesismo e o Movimento Ramsesista; Origens, Desenvolvimento, Perspectivas

Ramses: Outstanding Figure in International Relations

Ramses: Proeminente Figura nas Relações Internacionais

Depicting the Hero: The Iconology of Ramses

Retratando o Herói: A Iconologia de Ramses

A demographic approach to Ramses

Uma abordagem demográfica a Ramses

Ramses: the Man and the Myth

Ramses: O Homem e o Mito.

Ramsesological Review

Análise Ramsesológica.

*If you want, you can use the Portuguese version of the name: Ramsés
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

Ewout Lamé

Postby Ewout Lamé » 2003-01-21, 8:15

Thank you very much!

stifven

Postby stifven » 2003-01-22, 15:54

Bom dia!

oye, hay alguien de aqui me puede explicar como que portugues sone MUY diferente a castellano? Portugues era solamente un dialecto de espanyol....pero cada vez que lo escucho al idioma, no puedo entender.

hey, can anybody here explain to me how come Portuguese sounds SO different with Castilian? Portuguese used to be just a Spanish dialect.....but everytime I listen to Portuguese, I can't get an inkling what it is all about.

Obrigado.
四海之内皆兄弟也。。。

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2003-01-22, 17:07

Portuguese was never a Spanish dialect.

Phonetically, Portuguese is very close to Catalan. Both languages still have sounds that also existed in Old Spanish, but there were lost in the modern language (namely the 'sh' and 'zh' sounds).

The only common thing between Portuguese and Spanish is that they both came from Latin and were influenced by Arabic and the languages of other peoples that occupied the Iberian Peninsula throughout the times.

Portuguese comes from an extinct language called Galician-Portuguese, that gave origin to two modern languages today: Portuguese and Galician.
By the time Galician-Portuguese was spoken, Spanish as we know it didn't even exist (Actually neither Spain or Portugal existed), so I don't know how the hell people always get that idea that Portuguese is just a mere Spanish dialect... but they'd avoid saying such a thing if they got INFORMED about it before.

NulNuk

Postby NulNuk » 2003-01-22, 17:55

not only Portuguese dont come from Spanish ,but Castillian actually
was a GALICIAN dialect!!!!! ,yes ,yes ,yes!!!, the ppl that lived in Castillia
and Leon are the same as in Galicia ,in the beguining ,Leones developed
from Galician-Portuguese ,and it looks quite the same ,than agen Castillian
evelop from Leonese (still looked quite like Galician ),than midle age Castillian
and Ladino came from agen Castillian ,Ladino still looks like Galician ,
Castillian ,changed ander Basque influense (thats what the Spanish
Royal academy ppl say ,not me !!!) ,and then ,upon opening the
Spanish Royal academy ,the Royal academy develop a new Castillian
dialect from where they try to delet all they could from basque and Arabic
and Romanice the lenguage as much as they could ,and than they called
this new dialect "Spanish" ,so not only Portuguese dont come from Spanish ( :0P )
but you could actually say quite the oposite ,Spanish develop from
agent Galician-Portuguese wich is todays Portuguese and Galician elnguages .

and the reason why they dont look the same ,the Castillians didnt have anough
ppl to re-settle all of Spain ,so they used the Basque to re-settle every thing after re-taken it from the Arabs .
Last edited by NulNuk on 2003-01-23, 2:42, edited 1 time in total.
Every thing I write, wrote, or will write, its in my own opinion, for I have no other.
Release me from the duty of being polite and remind you, "I made use of my own brain".

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2003-01-22, 18:24

Exactly. Further on, the Spanish Academy even tried to take Portugal out of the Iberian Peninsula, but it didn't work so good, cause it was very well stuck to the rest of it. As I desperate attempt, they asked for help to a group of aliens from planet XB45 to come and kill us, but once they got to Spain, found it so nice that they decided to settle in the Basque Country and name themselves Basques (that's why Basque resembles no other language, it's alien in origin). The Spanish Academy was very angry at that, of course and so, they ordered every Basque word to be banned from Castillian and created a new language called Spanish . Yet, they didn't warn the South Americans, who kept on using an impure form of the language that contained Basque words. The aliens also invented a form of Empanadas, but that's not actually proved either. Of course, at that time Galicians were very quietly speaking Celtic and it was only later that they discovered they were actually Welsh. But it was too late to move back home then, so they decided to learn Spanish and get over it. The Spanish Academy didn't oppose either, as they kept on trying to conquer the world with their grammars and dictionaries as weapons, and any help would be welcome.

Saaropean

Postby Saaropean » 2003-01-22, 19:11

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ¡ E X C E L L E N T ! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Can I print your little text, enframe it and hang it over the door to my room? :D

:roll: Sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone, but I just ROTFLMFAO... :wink: :wink:

ekalin

Postby ekalin » 2003-01-22, 23:36

NulNuk wrote:Portuguese dont come from Porutguese

Well, if I said that the quote above is wrong I would be lying, because after all Portuguese cannot really have come from Portuguese, because Portuguese is Portuguese, and a thing cannot have come from itself. It's like me saying I'm my own son. :-)

On the other hand, that doesn't mean it makes any sense...

ekalin

Postby ekalin » 2003-01-22, 23:39

Luis wrote:Exactly. Further on, the Spanish Academy even tried to take Portugal out of the Iberian Peninsula, but it didn't work so good, cause it was very well stuck to the rest of it. As I desperate attempt, they asked for help to a group of aliens from planet XB45 to come and kill us, but once they got to Spain, found it so nice that they decided to settle in the Basque Country and name themselves Basques (that's why Basque resembles no other language, it's alien in origin). The Spanish Academy was very angry at that, of course and so, they ordered every Basque word to be banned from Castillian and created a new language called Spanish . Yet, they didn't warn the South Americans, who kept on using an impure form of the language that contained Basque words. The aliens also invented a form of Empanadas, but that's not actually proved either. Of course, at that time Galicians were very quietly speaking Celtic and it was only later that they discovered they were actually Welsh. But it was too late to move back home then, so they decided to learn Spanish and get over it. The Spanish Academy didn't oppose either, as they kept on trying to conquer the world with their grammars and dictionaries as weapons, and any help would be welcome.

I cannot refraim from making a totally useless and bandwith and space wasting post just to say that I agree with Saaropean.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ROTFLMBO :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BTW, what is ROTFLMFAO? Rolling on the floor laughing my(?) ? ? ?

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2003-01-22, 23:51

BTW, what is ROTFLMFAO? Rolling on the floor laughing my(?) ? ? ?

... my fucking arse off

Not very different from your ROTFLMBO, just replace 'butt' for 'arse' and add a 'fucking' to it, which sounds much nicer and besides, is a more visually appealing acronym 8)

Return to “Portuguese (Português)”