Propose to my Romanian/Hungarian GFs Parents

Moderator:france-eesti

JamieInamoto
Propose to my Romanian/Hungarian GFs Parents

Postby JamieInamoto » 2012-08-06, 15:38

Hi there,

I originally posted this in the Translations section but thought I might get more luck here and the Romanian sections.

I have a very loaded question that I would love if someone could answer. Basically, I would like to marry my Romanian girlfriend but before I ask her, I would like to ask her parents for their blessing. Unfortunatly her father is Romanian and her mother is Hungarian (they understand both languages). I've been thinking long and hard, and I think what I'd like to do is switch between languages as I ask.

I've written a short paragraph in English that I'd like to say and I've used my novice skills, my dictionaries and translator software to come up with a translation. If anyone who can speak either or both languages, I'd love some input.

ENGLISH PARAGRAPH:

"As you know, I love your daughter very much. She is the most beautiful, intelligent and loving woman a man could ever ask for. I can't imagine spending my life with anyone else but her. I would like to ask her to marry me and I'm here today to ask you for your blessing.

Please may I ask that you keep this a secret as I'd love to suprise her."

MY IMPERFECT TRANSLATIONS:

-Sofie is very beautiful, intelligent and caring.
Sofie este foarte frumos, inteligent şi grijuliu. (Romanian)

-I love her
Szeretem őt (Hungarian)

-I can't imagine my life without her
Nu îmi pot imagina viaţa mea fără ca ea (Romanian)

-I would like to ask for her hand in marriage
Szeretném kérni a kezét a házasság (Hungarian)

-I am here today to ask your blessing
Sunt aici astăzi pentru a cere binecuvântarea ta (Romanian)

-Please, may I ask you to keep this secret, I would like to surprise her.
Kérjük, ha szabad kérdeznem, hogy megtartsa ezt a titkot, ahogy szeretném őt meglepetés. (Hungarian)

MY FULL PARAGRAPH SO FAR:

"Sofie este foarte frumos, inteligent şi grijuliu. Szeretem őt. Nu îmi pot imagina viaţa mea fără ca ea. Szeretném kérni a kezét a házasság. Sunt aici astăzi pentru a cere binecuvântarea ta.

Kérjük, ha szabad kérdeznem, hogy megtartsa ezt a titkot, ahogy szeretném őt meglepetés."

For anyone interested in helping, my translation seems quite stuttered, so I'd love it to flow more. I also don't know for sure how well they will understand it so a better translation of sections or the whole thing might help. Also, as I don't know the culture well, I don't know if I'm using the correct words/terms to convey what I'm thinking. Basically any help would be marvolous

Thanks
Jamie

Kenny

Re: Propose to my Romanian/Hungarian GFs Parents

Postby Kenny » 2012-08-07, 1:00

Here's the whole paragraph in Hungarian. Enjoy. :lol: Not a literal translation, mind you, I was trying to keep it as "authentically Hungarian" as possible.

Mint azt tudják, nagyon szeretem a lányukat. Nála gyönyörűbb, intelligensebb és szeretőbb nőt nem is kívánhatna férfi. Csak vele tudom elképzelni életem hátralévő részét. Szeretném megkérni a kezét és ehhez szeretném, hogy az áldásukat adják.

*It's áldásukat if its both parents' blessing and áldását if it's just the blessing of one of the two.

Translated back into English literally:
As you know, I love your daughter very much. A man couldn't ask for a more beautiful, intelligent and loving woman than her. She's the only one I can imagine the rest of my life with. I'd like to propose to her and I'd like you to give your blessing to this.

JamieInamoto

Re: Propose to my Romanian/Hungarian GFs Parents

Postby JamieInamoto » 2012-08-07, 11:33

That's lovely,

Thank you so much Kenny.

Return to “Hungarian (Magyar)”