How did you learn Finnish?

Moderator:Naava

Iván
Language Forum Moderator
How did you learn Finnish?

Postby Iván » 2012-08-01, 22:38

Well, I'm starting to learn Finnish. It's a language that I've always loved but, as you might know, it's difficult to find good resources. So, that's why I've created this topic. I'd like to ask you how you learned Finnish. Would you like to recommend any page? Is grammar as difficult as it seems? How do you handle the cases? I don't know.

What would you recommend to a beginner?
Minkä nuorena oppii, sen vanhana taitaa.

language learner

Re: How did you learn Finnish?

Postby language learner » 2012-08-02, 8:51

http://www2.edu.fi/ymmarrasuomea/index.php
ymmärrä suomea contains some of the easiest texts you will find on the net.

Hakuna Matata

Postby Hakuna Matata » 2012-08-15, 21:46

I am also curious to know how people have learned Finnish - What books or programs did you start out with? How long have you been learning Finnish and what keeps you motivated to keep going? :thread:
Haluan oppia suomea!
All corrections welcome!

kirshiyin

Postby kirshiyin » 2012-08-24, 13:37

I study Finnish at home and I can recommend a textbook for beginners. I downloaded it and now am studying from it:) It is called Teach yourself Finnish :wink:

chung

Postby chung » 2012-08-24, 22:29

Iván wrote:Well, I'm starting to learn Finnish. It's a language that I've always loved but, as you might know, it's difficult to find good resources. So, that's why I've created this topic. I'd like to ask you how you learned Finnish. Would you like to recommend any page?

With no false modesty, I've said a good deal of what I think of Finnish (including learning it) in this post.

Iván wrote:Is grammar as difficult as it seems?

My short answer: I haven't found it to be inordinately so.
My longer answer: Judge yourself by reading my post whose link is above.

Iván wrote:How do you handle the cases? I don't know.

Drills, observing them in use by native speakers, and using them when communicating in Finnish.

Iván wrote:What would you recommend to a beginner?

It depends on how you like to learn as there's quite a bit in learning material available.

If you like to learn in the same way as I do, then I'd recommend to the beginner:

- From Start to Finnish
- Finnish for Foreigners (vols. 1-2)
- Gummeruksen Suomi-englanti-suomi-perussanakirja or WSOY:n Suomi-englanti-suomi sanakirja (or Wiktionary and sanakirja.org if you don't want to spring for a dictionary in hard copy)
- Finnish: An Essential Grammar (or Uusi kielemme if you don't want to spring for a reference manual on grammar in hard copy)

A Belgian woman who learned Finnish has her own recommendations for learning material.

Lykkyä tykö!

tunnus35252

Postby tunnus35252 » 2012-09-16, 22:44

Here are some links to learn Finnish:
http://oppiminen.yle.fi/easyfinnish
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/Finnish.html

Probably you can find some material also on Youtube. And if I remember right it might be pretty easy for Spanish speaker to pronounce Finnish words due to similarities in alphabetical pronounciation between these two languages.

Noim

Postby Noim » 2015-03-24, 0:49

This website is amazing:
http://www.uusikielemme.fi/

Meneghis

Postby Meneghis » 2015-04-23, 10:28

Well, as for me I've always dreamed to learn Finnish, such an interesting and fascinating language. I'm also a big ice hockey fan. I was lucky enough to find out that my university offers free Finnish courses: so I'm learning it in class since two weeks.
Our textbook it's pretty good despite the lack of enough exercises: it's called "Yksi, Kaksi, Kolme 1" but unfortunately it's written in German and aimed at German speakers.
Corrections are welcome

Return to “Finnish (Suomi)”