[Azeri] Tərcümə atelyesi

Moderator:eskandar

Limagne
[Azeri] Tərcümə atelyesi

Postby Limagne » 2012-03-11, 19:58

Following another member's initiative in the Persian sub-forum, I figured we could also start a sort of study group here were we could post and work on sentences taken from various sources in Azerbainjani such as newspapers, magazines, novels etc.

The principle would be to post or one two sentences and to decorticate them to practice the grammar and learn/review the vocabulary they contain.

Could be a great idea to encourage learners and native speakers to help and correct each other.

I'll start then :yep:

Azərbaycana rəsmi səfəri çərçivəsində Gürcüstan Prezidenti Mixeil Saakaşvili martın 7-də “Jumeirah Bilgah Beach Hotel” ilə tanış olmuşdur.

Azərbaycana : to Azerbaijan (dative case)
rəsmi səfəri çərçivəsində : in the context of his official trip
-> rəsmi : official
-> səfəri : his trip (possessive)
-> çərçivəsində : in the context of (linked to the previous word by a genitive construction + locative case)
Gürcüstan Prezidenti : genitive construction, "the President of Georgia"
martın yeddində : genitive construction used to indicate the date, "on 7 march"
“Jumeirah Bilgah Beach Hotel” ilə tanış olmuşdur : he has visited the Jumeirah Beach Hotel. The verb tanış olmaq requires the use of the postposition ilə.

I hope the thread's title doesn't sound weird by the way :hmm:
Last edited by Limagne on 2012-03-12, 19:44, edited 1 time in total.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Tərcümə atelyeni

Postby voron » 2012-03-12, 11:20

Great topic! For those of us who approach Azerbaijani via Turkish, I hope it is ok if we also make comparisons with Turkish. Let me add a few comments on this sentence.

- martın yeddində
Shouldn't it be "yeddisində" ?
In Turkish, "yedi Mart" is a common way for saying the date. Is "Martın yedisinde" also acceptable?

- “Jumeirah Bilgah Beach Hotel” ilə tanış olmuşdur
Can we use "tanışmış" here in Turkish, or would we rather say "... Hotel-i ziyaret etmiş"?
"Tanış olmuşdur" actually sounds a bit like Russian "ознакомился с".

Limagne

Postby Limagne » 2012-03-12, 15:40

voron wrote:- martın yeddində
Shouldn't it be "yeddisində" ?

Yes, it should :)

Utopist

Postby Utopist » 2012-03-12, 19:04

I reckon we should rather say:
"Tərcümə atelyeSi".

Then
In Turkish, "yedi Mart" is a common way for saying the date.

We rarely use this form. One would probably say "Martın yeddisi" or "yeddisində".

Can we use "tanışmış" here in Turkish, or would we rather say "... Hotel-i ziyaret etmiş"?

There is no such a verb as tanışmaq in Azeri. Only "tanış olmaq".
But you can also say "oteli ziyarət etmişdir" or "ziyarət edib".
My languages : [flag=]az[/flag] [flag=]ru[/flag] || [flag=]en[/flag] (C1) [flag=]tr[/flag] (~B2) [flag=]ar[/flag](B2) || [flag=]de[/flag](A2) [flag=]fr[/flag](A1)
Interested in: Arabic, German, French, Persian, Hebrew

Limagne

Re: Tərcümə atelyesi

Postby Limagne » 2012-03-15, 21:06

Azərbaycan iqtisadiyyatının dayanıqlı və davamlı inkişafını özündə təcəssüm etdirən milli sosial-iqtisadi modelin başlıca istiqamətləri ölkə iqtisadiyyatının dinamik inkişafı, dünya iqtisadiyyatına inteqrasiyası və Azərbaycan vətəndaşlarının rifahının yüksəldilməsidir.

This is what you can call a long sentence. Okay, let's cut it down into several chunks...

Azərbaycan iqtisadiyyatının dayanıqlı və davamlı inkişafını özündə təcəssüm etdirən

-> Azərbaycan iqtisadiyyatının : of the economy of Azerbaijan ; iqtisadiyyatının = ı (possessive suffix serving in genetive construction with Azərbaycan) + n (buffer consonant) + ın (genetive case introducing another genitive construction)
-> dayanıqlı və davamlı : steady and durable
-> inkişafını : linked es with iqtisadiyyatının (genitive construction) and it's the object of təcəssüm etdirən since it bears the accusative case marker (nı)
-> özündə : öz + ü (third person possessive suffix) + n (buffer consonant) + də (locative) = in itself
-> təcəssüm etdirən (from təcəssüm etdirmək) : embodying

---> "embodying in itself the the steady and durable development of the economy of Azerbaijan"

milli sosial-iqtisadi modelin başlıca istiqamətləri

-> milli sosial-iqtisadi : national socioeconomic
-> modelin : model's
-> başlıca : primary
-> istiqametleri = orientations (forming a genitive construction with modelin)

---> "The orientations of the national socioeconomic model which embodies in itself the steady and durable development of Azerbaijan [are]..."

ölkə iqtisadiyyatının dinamik inkişafı, dünya iqtisadiyyatına inteqrasiyası və Azərbaycan vətəndaşlarının rifahının yüksəldilməsidir

-> ölkə iqtisadiyyatının dinamik inkişafı : double genitive construction
--> ölkə iqtisadiyyatının = [of] the country's economy
--> dinamik inkişafı = the dynamical development [of]

-> dünya iqtisadiyyatına inteqrasiyası
--> dünya iqtisadiyyatına = to the world's economy (genitive construction + dative)
--> inteqrasiyası : its integration (third person possessive)

-> və Azərbaycan vətəndaşlarının rifahının yüksəldilməsidir
--> Azərbaycan vətəndaşlarının = [of] the citizens of Azerbaijan (double genitive construction)
--> rifahının yüksəldilməsidir : the rise of the well-being (yüksəldilmə is the verbal noun of yüksəldilmək)... here the copula "-dir" stands for a plural.

So here's my own clumsy translation :blush:

The orientations of the national socioeconomic model, which embodies in itself the steady and durable development of Azerbaijan, are the dynamical development of the country's economy, its integration to the world economy and the rise of the well-being of the citizens of Azerbaijan.

kalemiye

Postby kalemiye » 2012-03-16, 7:19

Good job Limagne! IMHO your translation is perfect :)

I just wanted to note a couple of points that I think might be useful in the future:

təcəssüm etdirən (from təcəssüm etdirmək) : embodying

The infix -dir- means to make somebody to do something. While in this context it is not necessary to take this into account, it might not always be possible to find verbs with this infix as dictionary entries :).

yüksəldilmək

This -il- infix implies this verb is in passive voice.
Not available

Limagne

Postby Limagne » 2012-04-14, 11:37

I've been trying to figure out the exact meaning of the following sentence for centuries.

Günlərin bir günü yoxsul, meşə ilə gedirdi, birdən ağacın altında parıldayan, qızıl bir lələk gördü.

What bugs me here is the function of the postposition ilə. I really can't find what purpose it serves here even thoug I get the global meaning of the phrase :(

Any ideas ?

I'm wondering wether this postposition isn't used to give a slightly different meaning to the verb getmək. In that case we could translate it as "One day, the poor man was wandering in the forest...". Really not sure though.

It's terribly frustrating there's no bulky practical reference grammar book for Azerbaijani published in any western European language :evil:
Last edited by Limagne on 2012-04-16, 9:01, edited 1 time in total.

Schwarzrat

Postby Schwarzrat » 2012-04-14, 16:31

I'm not sure I understood your question but do you ask us what does "ilə" mean ?
In Turkish, "ile" (or "-(y)le"/"-(y)la") means with/avec.

But I bet that's not what you're asking for. :oops:
Native : [flag]fr[/flag] [flag]gsw[/flag] (alsatian - no problem in comprehension... to use it, that's something else... -)
Upper Intermediate : [flag]en[/flag]
Intermediate : [flag]de[/flag]
Beginner : [flag]tr[/flag]
Wanderlust : [flag]yih[/flag] (western yiddish) [flag]az[/flag] [flag]kk[/flag] [flag]uz[/flag] [flag]ku[/flag]

kalemiye

Postby kalemiye » 2012-04-14, 17:34

Limagne wrote:I've been trying to figure out the exact meaning of the following sentence for centuries.

Günlərin bir günü yoxsul, meşə ilə gedirdi, birden agacın altında parıldayan, qızıl bir lələk gördü.

What bugs me here is the function of the postposition ilə. I really can't find what purpose it serves here even thoug I get the global meaning of the phrase :(

Any ideas ?

I'm wondering wether this postposition isn't used to give a slightly different meaning to the verb getmək. In that case we could translate it as "One day, the poor man was wandering in the forest...". Really not sure though.

It's terribly frustrating there's no bulky practical reference grammar book for Azerbaijani published in any western European language :evil:

It has that meaning :), the grammar makes no sense to me either, but I think it could me an idiomatic expression.
Not available

Limagne

Postby Limagne » 2012-04-16, 9:00

Schwarzrat wrote:I'm not sure I understood your question but do you ask us what does "ilə" mean ?

Ilə has the same meaning in Azerbaijani but in the sentence I gave it doesn't make much sense since it comes after a noun of place (meşə/forest).

The thing is it's probably some specific turn of phrase and it would be cool to decipher it to be able to use it later :)

kalemiye

Postby kalemiye » 2012-04-16, 17:49

Limagne wrote:
Schwarzrat wrote:I'm not sure I understood your question but do you ask us what does "ilə" mean ?

Ilə has the same meaning in Azerbaijani but in the sentence I gave it doesn't make much sense since it comes after a noun of place (meşə/forest).

The thing is it's probably some specific turn of phrase and it would be cool to decipher it to be able to use it later :)

I asked this from a couple of Azerbaijani friends today, but since they are illiterate in the language couldn't give me any grammar-related explanation, but as I said, your guess is correct.
Not available

Limagne

Postby Limagne » 2012-04-18, 19:37

Ah, thanks a lot for the input!

Şirvanşahlar səlcuqların əsarətindən bir dəfəlik xilas olmaq məqsədilə Gürcüstan çarı ilə yaxın qonşuluq əlaqələri yaradır.

-> Şirvanşahlar : the Shahs of Shirvan (subject)
-> yaradır : present of yaratmaq (to create, establish)
-> yaxın qonşuluq əlaqələri : close neighbourly bonds (object), qonşuluq əlaqələri are linked by a genitive constructive
-> Gürcüstan çarı ilə : with the Czar (sic) of Georgia, Gürcüstan çarı being a genitive construction too
-> səlcuqların əsarətindən bir dəfəlik xilas olmaq məqsədilə :
* xilas olmaq məqsədilə : with the intention (of) breaking free
* səlcuqların əsarətindən : from the Seljuks' domination (genitive construction + ablative case)
* bir dəfəlik : once and for all

Gürcüstan şahı IV David səlcuqlara qarşı güclü bir qüvvə ilə çıxmaq üçün Şimali Qafqaz köçərilərinin köməyindən istifadə etmək qərarına gəlir.

-> Gürcüstan şahı IV David : the king of Georgia David IV
-> qerarına gəlir : decides [to] (literally : comes to the decision of...)
-> istifadə etmək : use ; the verb istifadə etmək requires the ablative case
-> Şimali Qafqaz köçərilərinin köməyindən : the help of the nomads of the North Caucasus
-> səlcuqlara qarşı güclü bir qüvvə ilə çıxmaq : to come out powerful against the Seljuks

Bu məqsədlə o, qıpçaqların baş komandanının qızına evlənir.

-> Bu məqsədlə : with that goal [in mind]
-> o : he
-> evlənir : marries [note : the objet of the verb evlənmək must be in the dative]
-> qıpçaqların baş komandanının qızına : the daughter of the Kypchaks' main commander

Hər ikisinin arasında gedən danışıqlara əsasən 45 min qıpçaq döyüşçüsü ailələri ilə birlikdə Gürcüstana köçürülür.

-> Hər ikisinin arasında gedən danışıqlara əsasən : on the basis of the ongoing talks between the two of them
* gedən danışıqlara əsasən : on the basis of the ongoing talks [the postposition əsasən requires the dative]
* hər ikisinin arasında gedən danışıqlara əsasən : between the two of them
-> 45 min qıpçaq döyüşçüsü : 45 thousand Kypchak fighters
-> köçürülür : are transfered (present tense of köçürülmək which is actually a passive form)
-> Gürcüstana : to Georgia (dative)
-> ailələri ilə birlikdə : together with their families

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2012-04-18, 20:19

I just threw your Azerbaijani sentences into Google Translate to translate it to Turkish and wow, the translation is almost perfect!

It clearly means that Google Translate doesn't take it through English, unlike most other language pairs. I noticed a similar fact for the Russian-Belarusian pair: the translation quality for this pair is very high.

The output from Google Translate for the text above:
Şirvanşahlar Selçukluların esaretinden bir kerelik kurtulmak amacıyla Gürcistan çarı ile yakın komşuluk ilişkileri yaratıyor.

Gürcistan şahı IV David Selçuklular karşı güçlü bir kuvvetle çıkmak için Kuzey Kafkasya köçərilərinin yardımından yararlanma karar verir.

Bu amaçla o, Kıpçakların baş komandanının kızına evleniyor.

Do you see any mistakes? I can only nitpick on the following:
- köçərilərinin - for some reason it didn't get translated to göçebelerinin, although köçəri translates just fine
- yararlanmaya karar verir
- kızıyla evleniyor (not sure, is dative also allowed here?)

kalemiye

Postby kalemiye » 2012-04-19, 6:41

The term Şirvanşahlar doesn't refer to the kings, but the dynasty :). Thus "The Shirvanshahs" is a more accurate translation.

-> səlcuqlara qarşı güclü bir qüvvə ilə çıxmaq : to come out powerful against the Seljuks

After reading all the sentences you posted here, I think by qüvvə the writer is referring to an army, rather than to strength or power as abstract terms. Thus I'd translate it as "to come out against the Seljuks with a powerful army".
Not available

kalemiye

Postby kalemiye » 2012-04-19, 6:44

- kızıyla evleniyor (not sure, is dative also allowed here?)

no
Not available

Limagne

Postby Limagne » 2012-04-23, 19:00

kalemiye wrote:

The term Şirvanşahlar doesn't refer to the kings, but the dynasty :). Thus "The Shirvanshahs" is a more accurate translation.

Actually, I think I've already seen the expression 'les Chahs du Chirvan' used in French to talk about the dynasty itself. I guess that's where the confusion stems from for me :)

Bu dəfə o gördüklərin avtobusdur, avtomobil deyil. Onları da İranda dəmiryolu olmadığı üçün istifadə edirlər. Buna "geri qalmışıq" deyərlər. Otur yerinə, Şirvanşir.

-> bu dəfə o gördüklərin : what you saw this time [-dik participle + plural marker + 2nd person singular suffix]
-> avtobusdur : are buses
-> avtomobil deyil : not cars
-> onları da istifadə edirlər : they use them too [note that here, istifadə etmək is used with the accusative]
-> İranda : in Iran
-> dəmiryolu olmadığı üçün : because there's no railway (-dik participle of olmaq + 3rd person suffix + üçün)
-> buna deyərlər -> this is called [literally : to that we say..., the dative case is used here]
-> geri qalmışıq -> underdevelopment
-> Otur yerinə, Şirvanşir : sit down, Şirvanşir.

Limagne

Postby Limagne » 2012-04-27, 16:19

Zarafatsız, əziz oxucum, sənə bir para ciddi söz demək istəyirəm və bir para mətləblərdən agah eləmək istəyirəm səni.

zarafatsız = joking apart
əziz oxucum = dear reader
demək istəyirəm = i want to tell
sənə = you (to you, dative)
bir para ciddi söz = a few serious words
və = and
agah eləmək istəyirəm = i want to inform
səni = you (accusative)
bir para mətləblərdən = about a few topics

Axşamlar nərd oynadığın qonşun üç gündür köçüb bağa və axşamlar mırt vurduğun dostun iclasdadır.

üç gündür = it has been three days [since]
nərd oynadığın qonşun = your neighbourh [whith whom] you play backgammon
axşamlar = in the evening
köçüb bağa və = left to [his] country cottage and
mırt vurduğun dostun = your friend [with whom] you chat
axşamlar = in the evening
iclasdadır = is at a meeting

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2012-04-28, 10:38

Limagne wrote:nərd oynadığın qonşun = your neighbourh [whith whom] you play backgammon

нарды is what we call this game in Russian too (I suppose the word is Persian?), while in Turkish it has a strange (for me) name "tavla".

Limagne

Postby Limagne » 2012-04-30, 10:34

Yeah, nard is used in Persian too, even though the most common expression used to refer to backgammon seems to be تختۀ نرد (takhte-ye nard).

According to Dehkhoda's dictionary, « nard » was the name of a game invented by Bozorgmehr back in the times of the Sasanian dynasty, but it doesn't tell us much about the meaning of this root.

I'm not sure at all, but the turkish word « tavla » might come from the arabic « طويلة » (tawila).

Anyways, here is today's sentence.

Mən və məndən bir neçə kilometr aralıda hər hansı bir məhbusla qaydalar çərçivəsində rəftar olunmadığını bilərək futbola baxa bilmərəm.

We can break the sentence into two clauses :

→ mən futbola baxa bilmərəm = I can't watch football

* baxa bilmərəm = this is a textbook abilitative construction... baxa comes from the verb baxmaq (to watch)... bilmərəm is the negative form of the first-person singular.
* futbola = to football, the use of the dative case is required here since we have baxmaq

→ məndən bir neçə kilometr aralıda hər hansı bir məhbusla qaydalar çərçivəsində rəftar olunmadığını bilərək

* bilərək = knowing [that]... the suffix -arak/-ərək is used to form the gerund
* məndən bir neçə kilometr aralıda = a few kilometers away from me
* hər hansı bir məhbusla = a certain prisonner... the postposition -la is needed since we have the verb rəftar olunmaq (to be treated)
* qaydalar çərçivəsində = genitive construction + locative case (= according to the rules)
* rəftar olunmadığını = 3rd person singular suffix + buffer consonant + accusative case required by bilərək... olunmadığ- is the negative verbal adjective of the auxiliary olunmaq which is used to convey a passive meaning in compound verbs formed with etmək (bir kəslə rəftar etmək here, meaning "to treat someone").

I can't watch football knowing that a few kilometers away from me a prisoner isn't treated according to the law.

This wasn't an easy one :) I hope I didn't get something wrong.

Limagne

Postby Limagne » 2012-05-02, 22:49

45 yaşlı Nobət Məmmədov ingilis dilində öyrəndiyi bəzi sözləri bizimlə də bölüşür.

→ 45 yaşlı Nobət Məmmədov : Nobət Məmmədov, aged 45
→ bizimlə də bölüşür : shares with us [too] (present tense of bölüşmək, 3rd person singular)
→ ingilis dilində öyrəndiyi bəzi sözləri : a few words he has learnt in English (sözləri is the object of bölüşür and takes the accusative marker ; öyrəndiyi is the -dik participle of the verb öyrənmək followed by -(y)i referring to the 3rd person subject of the verb ; ingilis dilində is a genitive construction to which the locative marker has been added)

Deyir ki, dərsləri yaxşı mənimsəmək üçün əlindən gələni edir.

→ deyir ki = he says that
→ dərsləri yaxşı mənimsəmək üçün = to assimilate his lessons well (dərsləri bears the accusative marker required by mənimsəmək)
→ əlindən gələni edir = he's making a lot of efforts (idiom)

Amma gülərək onu da əlavə edir ki, 45 yaşda nəsə öyrənmək göründüyü kimi asan deyil:

→ amma gülərək = however, smiling... (the -araq/-ərək suffix is added to verbs to form the gerund)
→ onu da əlavə edir ki = he also adds that... (onu is the object of əlavə etmək, it's best left ommitted in English)
→ 45 yaşda = at the age of 45
→ nəsə öyrənmək = learning something
→ göründüyü kimi asan deyil = isn't as easy as it seems (-dik participle + kimi = like + verb ; here göründük is followed by the 3rd person suffix)

Return to “Turkic Languages”