Bân-lâm-gú (Min Nan)

Moderator:OldBoring

ruusukaali
Bân-lâm-gú (Min Nan)

Postby ruusukaali » 2010-08-05, 2:46

I've grown quite infatuated with this language due to its cute romanization and non-mutual intelligibility with Mandarin. I'm not having any luck finding sources online to even dabble in it, though.

There's a lot of vocabulary up at wiktionary:
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Category:Min_Nan_language

But I don't really know if all that information is credible, because according to wiktionary, "eight" can be either "peh", "poeh" or "pat", but according to wikitravel (http://wikitravel.org/en/Minnan_phrasebook), eight is "bpui".

Anyone played around with this language before?
:bounce:

Formiko

Re: Bân-lâm-gú (Min Nan)

Postby Formiko » 2010-08-05, 5:37

ruusukaali wrote:Anyone played around with this language before?

I have. I actually wrote a dictionary and phrasebook when I was 15. (My Chinese tutor spoke it, but I know it as Hokkien.)
8 is pwe' or pat
Tiã 'u bo? [jiantizi]你懂吗?[/jiantizi]
Gamsia - thankyou
chiã 见 (goodbye)

公共汽车在哪里?
Hechiatsam piou kyek di doulou?
Cherokee Indian STILL improving German.
Getting reacquainted with Swahili Msaada!
In no particular order
[flag]eo[/flag][flag]de[/flag][flag]es[/flag][flag]yo[/flag][flag]chr[/flag][flag]ru[/flag]

ILuvEire

Postby ILuvEire » 2010-08-05, 7:24

Played around with, currently playing, guilty! I'm placing most of my emphasis on Mandarin, but eventually I want to have a good knowledge of Taiwanese and Cantonese (and maybe some other Min Nan/Wu dialects as well).

My biggest recommendation would be to learn Mandarin first or along with Min Nan. Cheers :)
[flag]de[/flag] [flag]da[/flag] [flag]fr-qc[/flag] [flag]haw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]
Current focus: [flag]ga[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag]
Facebook | tumblr | Twitter
“We need to make books cool again. If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them.” —John Waters

ruusukaali

Postby ruusukaali » 2010-08-05, 16:27

Thanks for the replies guys.

I found a copy of Spoken Amoy Hokkien by Nicholas Bodman for 52$. Any of you used this book before? It's got over 600 pages which is making my mouth absolutely water but I dunno if it's any good.
:bounce:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2010-08-28, 16:40

The book isn't bad. It's all in romanization, so anyone hoping to learn the Characters will be sorely disappointed. I have both the book (Spoken Amoy, which I imagine is what you're referencing, and Spoken Taiwanese) and the audio that goes with it, and it is definately some of the better (and actually existant) resources in English. The only book(s) that I could say are better would be the Spoken Taiwanese 1-3 by Maryknoll in Taiwan. Again, these books are also in romanization, but they go to a higher level with the grammar, and are more recently publish, thus their content will be more up to current trends. No audio for the Maryknoll books unless your a student of theirs though . . . (I've dealt with them before, and have quite a few of their resources.) Hope that helps.

I'm quite interested in Taiwanese (as well as Mandarin, Shanghainese, and Cantonese), but due to tackling Japanese at the moment, I don't have the time to devote to another Asian language right now.

[Would have thought something like this should have been brought up in the general 'Chinese' Forum . . .]

KIRINPUTRA

Postby KIRINPUTRA » 2012-03-18, 13:07

Been there, done some of that. I can offer some guidance if anybody here is looking to learn some Hoklo, or Hokkien, or Taiwanese, or "Banlamese".

KIRINPUTRA

Postby KIRINPUTRA » 2012-03-18, 13:27

EIGHT can be either "poeh" or "peh", depending on the dialect. The "-h" is a glottal stop. EIGHT is "pat" in Literary Hoklo. So all three are correct. "Bpui" is just someone trying to write "poeh".

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2012-03-18, 18:18

I may take you up on that offer. I'm contemplating what Asian language I want to work on now. I was going to do some Japanese, but I'm not sure I want to deal with the writing system quite yet. So, spoken Chinese of some sort might be interesting.

(And I was working on some Taiwanese last summer, so it might be good to revisit)

At any rate, welcome to Unilang! :D

KIRINPUTRA

Postby KIRINPUTRA » 2012-03-19, 13:44

Thanks, księżycowy.

I see Hoklo-Taiwanese as a crossroads language in the Asia Pacific. It's part of the SEA sprachbund, yet shares much with Mandarin and Japanese.

KIRINPUTRA

Postby KIRINPUTRA » 2012-04-15, 6:58

Taiwanese guy and guy from Brunei communicating in Hokkien / Hoklo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW39Fbkx ... youtu.be&a

KIRINPUTRA

Postby KIRINPUTRA » 2012-06-09, 5:57

Ah, achei isso:
http://www.sulit.com.ph/index.php/view+ ... escription
E como era barato, acabei comprando. Quando me enviarem os arquivos, eu te mando também :P

Gracias, primo. Creo que he visto este libro en las librerías de las Filipinas. De los libros sobre el joló que he visto allí, los dos de Johnny Young más me interesaron. http://www.chinalanguage.com/forums/vie ... 9a18d96aeb No los compré.

Não é fácil achar material em hokkien das Filipinas. Mas o que eu queria de verdade era alguém pra me ensinar o hokkien de Penang ou de Medan, porque é bem diferente do Amoy. Mas acho melhor ir com calma, né? Se eu começasse a aprender o hokkien de Penang junto com o taiwanês, eu talvez começasse a misturar os dois...

El hokkien de Penang, Medan, Phuket, y Birmania ("el hokkien del Océano Índico") es como otra lengua. Creo que aprenderlo junto con el hokkien de Taiwán o las Filipinas parecía aprender el português brasileiro junto con el galego. Te recomiendo escoger uno u otro...

Acho que já disse no fórum, mas todos os chineses zamboangueños que eu achei eram cantoneses (provavelmente mestiços) e não falavam nem cantonês, só chavacano :) Nusabe iyo combersa buenamente chavacano, pero syempre interesaw gat!

Wao! ¿Donde aprendiste el chavacano? :shock:

atalarikt

Postby atalarikt » 2018-03-05, 10:10

A Malaysian-Norwegian YouTuber, Felicia Zoe, has a playlist dedicated to Hokkien. The videos are an introductory video and a few basics, which may be helpful for those interested in it.

I've also found this blog, titled Tâi-Gí Tong-Tāi 台語當代 (Contemporary Tâi-Gí), which somewhat also has three posts about Siraya (a Formosan/Taiwanese Aboriginal language that went extinct in the 19th century, but is now under revitalization by the government).
وَمِنْ آيَاتِهِ خَلْقُ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ وَاخْتِلَافُ أَلْسِنَتِكُمْ وَأَلْوَانِكُمْ ۚ إِنَّ فِي ذَٰلِكَ لَآيَاتٍ لِلْعَالِمِينَ۝
"And of His signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth and the diversity of your languages and your colors. Indeed in that are signs for those of knowledge." (Ar-Rum: 22)

Jika saya salah, mohon diperbaiki. If I make some mistake(s), please correct me.
Forever indebted to Robert A. Blust for his contributions to Austronesian linguistics

atalarikt

Postby atalarikt » 2018-05-16, 1:38

księżycowy's Trash Bin has some Hokkien resources worth checking as well.
وَمِنْ آيَاتِهِ خَلْقُ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ وَاخْتِلَافُ أَلْسِنَتِكُمْ وَأَلْوَانِكُمْ ۚ إِنَّ فِي ذَٰلِكَ لَآيَاتٍ لِلْعَالِمِينَ۝
"And of His signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth and the diversity of your languages and your colors. Indeed in that are signs for those of knowledge." (Ar-Rum: 22)

Jika saya salah, mohon diperbaiki. If I make some mistake(s), please correct me.
Forever indebted to Robert A. Blust for his contributions to Austronesian linguistics

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-05-16, 10:18

Thanks atalarikt! :)

I honestly forgot about this thread. Might as well post my resources here as well. :P

First and for most:
Taiwanese Made Easier
-A series of 94 PDF/DOC lessons that have 24 pronunciation lessons and 70 lessons of grammar and vocabulary. It also teaches you the Taiwanese characters starting in lesson 6. All with audio! The text uses Taiwanese characters and POJ through out. I recommend downloading and installing the font, and then downloading the lessons to your computer, otherwise the font can get weird at times.

I'm not sure, but my suspicion is that this project may have been (if not still) affiliated with the Taipei Language Institute, as two of their books are also available in PDF/DOC format as well in the Dropbox link.

I'll also share a link to the Harvard Taiwanese 101 book later.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-05-16, 11:53

Ok, so I can't find Harvard Taiwanese 101 (哈佛台語101) on books.com.tw (my preferred Taiwan based online vendor), but I have found it on Sanmin.
(Honestly, it's not much of a loss not being able to find it much of anywhere. The book could have been much better with it's dealing of grammar.)

Also, here is a link to the other book I've recently bought from Taiwan: Southern Hokkien: An Introduction by Fuehrer and Yang.
It's a good textbook, but it assumes some knowledge of some form of Chinese, and often does not give grammar explanations (well not explicitly aside from what is explained in the vocabularies to the lessons). But it does a great job at explaining vocabulary.

Unfortunately Spoken Language Services appears to be out of business now, but I would still highly recommend both Spoken Amoy Hokkien and Spoken Taiwanese both by Bodman, for those who can obtain these books. If you are to get only one text though, make it Spoken Amoy Hokkien, as it has all of the grammar explanations and drills. Spoken Taiwanese only has the main dialogue of the lessons rewritten into the dialect of Tainan; it does not contain any grammar or drills and is meant to be a supplement to Spoken Amoy Hokkien. It is well worth a look at Amazon or eBay to see if you can get it for a reasonable price. These two texts focus exclusively on the spoken language, so only romanization is used through out. [We did talk about this book a bit upstream already, but no harm in adding this.]

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-05-22, 20:32

I just so happened to find this today:
http://speaktaiwanese.com/spoken-hokkien/
Which is a pdf textbook (w/audio) available for sale. I haven't bought it (and quite frankly, I think I have enough already :P ).

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-05-26, 19:03

Some more textbooks! This time the infamous Maryknoll series!
[The main site is only in Chinese (I'm assuming Mandarin) and it's a pain in the ass for someone who doesn't know Chinese to navagate, but the page the textbook is located on isn't that difficult to figure out.]

Taiwanese Book 1
Taiwanese Book 2
Taiwanese Book 3

Return to “Chinese (中文)”