Can anyone teach me Danish face-to-face?

Moderator:Mulder-21

Woods
Can anyone teach me Danish face-to-face?

Postby Woods » 2011-09-09, 21:21

I just arrived in Copenhagen and I'll probably stay here. Everything is lovely. I like Danish people but they speak Danish language so I'll have to catch up with it. It seems pretty easy as words are very similar to English and it has this nice Germanic character. Danes are willing to help correcting my pronunciation and laughing histerically at my "soft d," telling me a couple of phrases but I need something faster, otherwise I'll look like an alien speaking English.

Does anyone living here have free time and want to teach me? I can trade for French or something else (French is probably the most interesting thing I can teach language-wise).

Brikken

Re: Can anyone teach me Danish face-to-face?

Postby Brikken » 2011-09-10, 7:56

I can't teach you Danish, since all my explanations of why things are the way they are would be "Just because". I speak it natively, yes, but have no idea about any grammatical rules or anything. You'll need a proper Danish teacher for that.

However, when you start to know some Danish, I'd be happy to meet you somewhere in Copenhagen over a beer or something, and we can chat so you can practice. Just let me know in a PM if and when you're interested.

Woods

Postby Woods » 2011-09-10, 9:23

I don't need grammar and explanations. If I can just speak to you for quite a while translating phrases from English to Danish and the other way around that'll be perfect. It's pretty easy as a language as it's so similar to English, but I need some intense speaking with someone, otherwise it may take forever. So far I don't know if I can afford a teacher or even looking for a teacher.

Brikken

Postby Brikken » 2011-09-10, 9:55

http://dansk.studieskolen.dk/en/FAQ.aspx

Take a look under the "Price" category. Seems you can get a good offer ...

Woods

Postby Woods » 2011-09-11, 10:29

Tak for det. I diligently saved the page so that I can think about if I settle here. Yesterday I also tried learning some Danish on my own in the library, but today it's closed. I'm going to try to meet some Danes now so hopefully I'll be able to speak this soon.

Arcane

Postby Arcane » 2011-09-14, 13:12

I see you've written in your profile that you're a student. If so, you are entitled to free Danish lessons and have danskuddannelsesret for 3 years. If you haven't received your CPR number, it is still ok to start if you show them your enrollment certificate (although officially you need your yellow card).

Ask me if you have any specific questions. I've been attending Lærdansk in Århus (biggest Danish language school in Denmark) and can definitely recommend them. If you're into languages, you can pass 5 modules in 1-1.5 year without a problem.

Arcane

Postby Arcane » 2011-09-14, 13:21

Woods wrote:I don't need grammar and explanations. If I can just speak to you for quite a while translating phrases from English to Danish and the other way around that'll be perfect.

Trust me, you do need professional training for the pronunciation. Even Norwegians attend speaking classes. The grammar nazi I am, I'd also say you need grammar and explanations, but I know different people have different approaches.

Danish pronunciation, however, doesn't come naturally, and that's strongly supported by research. At least I don't know any foreigners who figured the "vocal ladder" by themselves: )

Brikken

Postby Brikken » 2011-09-14, 15:06

Arcane wrote:Danish pronunciation, however, doesn't come naturally, and that's strongly supported by research. At least I don't know any foreigners who figured the "vocal ladder" by themselves: )

I could not agree more

Return to “Danish (Dansk)”