General Discussion

księżycowy
Re: General Discussion

Postby księżycowy » 2011-05-15, 11:22

Yeah, there were some strange sounds that didn't add up. I'd believe that they just made up a language for the show. I also heard some fricatives that didn't seem right. The show isn't exactly known for it's accuracy. As I said, an Inuit language/dialect would be what they should be speaking.

HoneyBuzzard

Postby HoneyBuzzard » 2011-05-15, 12:23

Hmm, I don't know. Usually it's pretty transparent when they make up languages, e.g., when someone speaks Arabic on the show, it comes out as durka durka durka, so this seems authentic in comparison. I don't think it would have to be an actual inuit language, just any indigenous Canadian language.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2011-05-15, 12:47

Good point, but they do identify the natives as Eskimo's, so I still would say an Inuit language should be the language. But it is possible they used something else.
The only other native Canadian languages I've heard are Cree and the Iroquoian languages, and I don't believe it's either of those. I definitely know it's not Iroquoian, but I'll have to double check Cree.
Other then that I don't know what to tell you. Sorry.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2011-05-15, 13:02

No, it doesn't seem to be Cree either . . .

HoneyBuzzard

Postby HoneyBuzzard » 2011-05-15, 20:20

I thought an Algonquian language seemed pretty unlikely. I may have found an answer though, if it's reliable: A fan on the official website wrote a comment saying

The Inuit or Eskimo are speaking Navajo... not Inuit!

I've never studied Navajo :(, so I can't really say. Wasn't my impression Navajo had all that many uvulars though, and this language seems to have quite a few. It probably wouldn't be that hard to find a few speakers of Navajo for a big show like South Park though. If it is Navajo, I'll have to bump that up my list :D

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2011-05-15, 20:45

After you're last comment I gave it another listen, and I actually think the poster might be right. It does sound like Navajo. I'm not sure if it's actually Navajo, but it does sound Navajo-esque.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2011-05-22, 21:55

I just started a proposition for a NAIL inspired 'land' over at the 'New World' game. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
And sign up if you want!

In related news, I just opened a multilingual thread here a little while ago, so I hope it gets some good use!

And for those of you who pay attention to sigs, you'll notice I no longer have any NA flags there. But don't worry, I'm getting back to some Arapaho. I may also do some Oneida, but I'll see. These will be a bit off and on though I'm afraid.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2011-06-04, 18:50

Anyone want to start an 'ask & answer' game (like the 'person below me' game in the other sub-forums) in the multilingual thread?

johnH

Postby johnH » 2011-06-22, 9:59

Ill be back (In under a week) anyway, I wish their was an amerindian programming language.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2011-06-22, 12:25

By all means. The NAIL thread is in need of some more activity. :wink:

johnH

Postby johnH » 2011-06-22, 14:59

księżycowy wrote:By all means. The NAIL thread is in need of some more activity. :wink:

I see that im mildly appricited, yes Now which NAIL, should I study first.... im not sure, but i also want to study SAIL....

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2011-06-22, 15:07

I appreciate anyone that loves NAIL languages! :D
As far as which one you want to start with, do you have any language/tribe/area that perks your interest more than any other?

johnH

Postby johnH » 2011-06-22, 16:23

no, :( . atleast non that I can think of but, how about zuni... they're pretty unique right.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2011-06-22, 16:33

You'd probably have to be on the reservation to get some resources, as I know of none that are accessible outside of that.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2011-06-22, 16:41

księżycowy wrote:You'd probably have to be on the reservation to get some resources, as I know of none that are accessible outside of that.

We've got a copy of a Zuni grammar in the library where I work. It was published by the University of New Mexico in 1965 and copies are available used on Amazon.

I'm not sure what you mean by "unique"--every language is, after all--but it is an isolate. That means it can't be shown to be related to any other language currently spoken (and--believe me--people have tried! Probably the craziest comparison I saw purported to show that Zuni was related to Latvian).
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

johnH

Postby johnH » 2011-06-22, 17:35

Oksu I need to get back to having a computer then... so i can do the banking thing, so i can buy the book actually id need to get home to set up online banking probably however im not sure. I dont have an amazon account yet however.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2011-06-22, 17:46

linguoboy wrote:We've got a copy of a Zuni grammar in the library where I work. It was published by the University of New Mexico in 1965 and copies are available used on Amazon.

I stand corrected. Good find. :)

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2011-06-22, 17:58

johnH wrote:Oksu I need to get back to having a computer then... so i can do the banking thing, so i can buy the book actually id need to get home to set up online banking probably however im not sure. I dont have an amazon account yet however.

You don't need online banking or an Amazon account. Amazon doesn't sell the book itself; it just functions as a clearing house between you and various vendors. And they are likely to be open to other forms of payment aside from electronic funds transfers.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

johnH

Postby johnH » 2011-06-22, 18:01

linguoboy wrote:
johnH wrote:Oksu I need to get back to having a computer then... so i can do the banking thing, so i can buy the book actually id need to get home to set up online banking probably however im not sure. I dont have an amazon account yet however.

You don't need online banking or an Amazon account. Amazon doesn't sell the book itself; it just functions as a clearing house between you and various vendors. And they are likely to be open to other forms of payment aside from electronic funds transfers.

thanks, then how to aquire the book in greater detail, oh what does clearing house mean?

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2011-06-22, 18:24

johnH wrote:
linguoboy wrote:

thanks, then how to aquire the book in greater detail, oh what does clearing house mean?

It means that they bring together offers and take care of clearing and payment. So if you do have an Amazon account, you can use this to order and pay for the book. But you can also just look through the vendors in Amazon's list and contact them directly. From that point on, it's like any other mail-order purchase.

Return to “North American Indigenous Languages”