espressioni inglesi dimenticate

Moderator:OldBoring

riyadh88
espressioni inglesi dimenticate

Postby riyadh88 » 2010-12-14, 17:45

qualque italiano puo aiutarmi a tradurre le seguenti parole da me dimenticate in inglese
sono disperato e scusate il forum sbagliato non so a chi chiedere magari ad un insegnante
a forza di studiare molte lingue me lo sto dimenticando.
grazie

non mene frega niente=
che cavolo vuoi=

grazie

KingHarvest

Re: espressioni inglesi dimenticate

Postby KingHarvest » 2010-12-14, 19:55

non mene frega niente = I don't care/I don't give a shit (I'm not quite sure of the intensity of the expression in Italian)
che cavolo vuoi = What the fuck do you want?
Most men are rather stupid, and most of those who are not stupid are, consequently, rather vain.
-A.E. Housman

riyadh88

Postby riyadh88 » 2010-12-14, 22:03

Yhank you so much :D

pallinapazza93

Postby pallinapazza93 » 2011-03-19, 17:38

KingHarvest wrote:non mene frega niente = I don't care/I don't give a shit (I'm not quite sure of the intensity of the expression in Italian)
che cavolo vuoi = What the fuck do you want?

non ME NE frega niente: ME NE are 2 different words. About that, I don't care is right.
As for the second sentence, attention! Cavolo is not as a bad word as fuck.

ILuvEire

Postby ILuvEire » 2011-03-24, 3:47

It'd be more like "what the hell do you want?" Right?
[flag]de[/flag] [flag]da[/flag] [flag]fr-qc[/flag] [flag]haw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]
Current focus: [flag]ga[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag]
Facebook | tumblr | Twitter
“We need to make books cool again. If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them.” —John Waters

KingHarvest

Postby KingHarvest » 2011-03-24, 3:56

If you wanted to be more true to a one to one correspondence, you could probably say "What the frig do you want?" since cavolo here is standing in for cazzo. Though really all three options are pretty offensive in English, and you couldn't say any in polite company that you weren't trying to offend, so probably the best option in English would be just "What do you want?"
Most men are rather stupid, and most of those who are not stupid are, consequently, rather vain.
-A.E. Housman

SkógsFræ

Postby SkógsFræ » 2011-04-02, 10:22

"Non me ne frega niente" si dice "I don't give a damn", hanno la stessa intensità.
Per quanto riguarda "che cavolo vuoi" temo che non ci sia un corrispettivo di pari intensità, forse quello che più si avvicina è "what the hell do you want"

KingHarvest

Postby KingHarvest » 2011-04-03, 1:15

"I don't give a damn" is really old fashiony, no one uses it anymore. "I don't give a shit" is much more contemporary.
-A.E. Housman

arborio

Postby arborio » 2011-04-05, 21:52

No doubt you’re right, but I think for the sake of Italian readers of this thread who may visit England we should mention that it does still depend on what company you’re in. “I don’t give a shit” is unlikely to get you into much trouble among students, but there are still plenty of “respectable, middle-class, middle-aged” English people who would not use that expression and would not invite to their dinner table a person who did. In such company I would not advise using anything stronger than “I don’t give a darn,” and it would probably be best to confine oneself to “I don’t care a hoot.”

But how utterly hilarious it would have been if Rhett Butler’s parting shot in the film had been, “Frankly my dear, I don't care a hoot!” !
I wonder how that was dubbed in Italian!

KingHarvest

Postby KingHarvest » 2011-04-06, 19:13

Well, obviously if there were a chance I might be offending someone, I wouldn't use any expletive or fake expletive, I'd just say "I don't care." At least in the US, "I don't give a hoot" sounds hilariously old fashion-y, nothing anyone would ever say except to be funny.
-A.E. Housman

arborio

Postby arborio » 2011-04-07, 9:26

Of course you wouldn’t use them in inappropriate situations - and you’d be welcome at my table. You said much the same as I did yourself on 24 March, but I just thought (perhaps unnecessarily) we should remind any unwary Italians or others learning English.

Perhaps the very obsolescence of some of these phrases is what renders them less offensive by introducing the smile.

The translation of expletives could be a good topic for a translators’ workshop, perhaps. It must often raise difficult dilemmas.

As for Italian, though, it is interesting to learn how offensive (usable) or not the ca- words are in various social contexts.

“cavolo” has been commented on variously by pallinapazza, ILuvEire and SkógsFræ as well as yourself, and I’ve met “capperi”, which latter is translated by one of my dictionaries as ”Good Lord!; Good gracious!” and by another as “By Jove!” (Yes, really. Pick yourselves up from off the floor, where you’re rolling around laughing.... but perhaps “capperi” IS funny to Italians, in which case the dictionaries are very good!)

:)

KingHarvest

Postby KingHarvest » 2011-04-08, 5:37

Learning how to swear in another language is certainly frustrating. The only times I really know when it's appropriate to swear in Italian is if I actually am trying to offend the other person.
-A.E. Housman

TAXI

Postby TAXI » 2011-06-25, 18:13

arborio wrote:But how utterly hilarious it would have been if Rhett Butler’s parting shot in the film had been, “Frankly my dear, I don't care a hoot!” !
I wonder how that was dubbed in Italian!

"Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn" was dubbed as "Francamente me ne infischio"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEwZO0xW-IE

Probably one Italian in a million would still use the expression "me ne infischio" today.

"Non mi importa", "Non me ne importa", "Non mi interessa" = "I don't care"
"Non me ne frega" + (opt.) "niente/un cavolo" = "I don't give a damn/darn"
"Non me ne frega un cazzo" = "I don't give a fuck"

rykketid

Postby rykketid » 2012-02-02, 21:13

C'è anche "I couldn't care less"--->"non me ne può fregar di meno"

Return to “Italian (Italiano)”