Language Course 1

Postby Guest » 2004-10-29, 14:12

piglet : kobuta こぶた 子豚
kitty : koneko こねこ 子猫
puppy : koinu こいぬ 子犬

BobMaster0

Postby BobMaster0 » 2004-10-29, 14:17

From what I've seen adding 子 (こ)to the beginning works for some things while others have a separate word, e.g. 猫->子猫, 犬->子犬, but にわとり->ひよこ。

HoboMan

Postby HoboMan » 2004-11-11, 5:25

I have a question with politeness. Would it sound odd if I were to be too polite or is that even possible? For example, if I were walking my dog in a park and were to say something to him like, "Inu-san, kite kudasai. (Dog excrement) wa oishikunai desu," would that get me any strange looks? Would a simple "Koi!" be more appropriate?

Kubi

Postby Kubi » 2004-11-11, 8:06

I guess you'd get the same strange looks you'd get in other countries if you spoke way too politely...on the other hand, if people see that you're a foreigner, they'll simply conclude that you don't master the language well enough and ignore it.
Je défendrai mes opinions jusqu'à ma mort, mais je donnerai ma vie pour que vous puissiez défendre les vôtres. - Voltaire

Saaropean

Re: pimsleur japanese

Postby Saaropean » 2004-11-17, 16:45

A message from the administrator of the UniLang Forums:
lleess wrote:Is there anyone who know where from can I download dr. Pimsleurs japanese language course, please?

No, there isn't. You can buy Pimsleur courses or try to find them in a library. But downloading copyrighted books is illegal. UniLang does not support illegal activities.

Axystos

Postby Axystos » 2004-11-17, 20:31

I thought Pimsleur was only audio-learning, but anyway, that's not the reason of my post.

Today I was in a bookstore to look for languagebooks and dictionaries of Japanese. It seems that languagebooks usually teach the language in a romanized form, mentioning Kana and Kanji, but not using it in later lessons. Are such books useful, or should I rather look for a book that works with the Japanese writing system? Is there a 'best way' to learn Japanese?

Looking forward to your reactions/stories of your experiences.

Axystos.
Native: Nederlands; C2: Deutsch; C1: English;
B1: русский, français, 日本語;
A2: norsk, svenska; A1: português, italiano, español, čeština, polski

aguy who hasnt registered

Postby aguy who hasnt registered » 2004-11-20, 7:25

in japanese its often better to be more polite, than be less polite, politeness to animals isnt really necissary, but speaking to strangers, or people who you are not familiar with their rank in society its best to use the "masu" form of the language, if your talking to supiors, you obviosuly use a higher form of politeness, if your talking to someone younger or of lower rank, you would use a less polite speech,that is if you wish to

later

nietoperz

Postby nietoperz » 2004-11-20, 13:04

That's not entirely correct. Of course, there's nothing with using -desu/-masu with strangers etc. Anyway -desu/-masu has nothing to do with politeness, but with formality. In order to be polite you would need to use correct sonkeigo/kenjōgo-forms which are called for in everyday life situations like work, business, university etc. and in which most foreigners will never find themselves in. On the other hand, when addressing a dog there's no need to be formal. (Of course, some people might even talk formally to their dogs... :) )

nietoperz

Postby nietoperz » 2004-11-20, 13:20

Axystos wrote:Today I was in a bookstore to look for languagebooks and dictionaries of Japanese. It seems that languagebooks usually teach the language in a romanized form, mentioning Kana and Kanji, but not using it in later lessons. Are such books useful, or should I rather look for a book that works with the Japanese writing system? Is there a 'best way' to learn Japanese?

I'm not sure if there actually is a 'best way' to learn Japanese... Anyway there's no point in trying to learn the language in a romanized form, because you wouldn't be able to read the easiest signs or menus etc. at least once you get to the country. Romanization is useful for people who just need a few words, but for everything else it's no use at all. Besides, once you get used to them the kana alphabets are as good as romanization.

I can recommend the series "Situational Functional Japanese", because the Japanese used in these books sounds quite natural, plus they don't start with the "this is a book"-crap. On the other hand, they are rather student-life-oriented, so some of the situations might not be usable for tourist situations... Another good book is "Japanese for everyone" which is more business/worklife-oriented, but also does a thorough introduction of the writing systems.

Axystos

Postby Axystos » 2004-12-01, 13:40

Thanks, nietoperz, for your reply. Today I happened to find "situational functional japanese' in a bookstore here, so I decided that it would me mine from that moment on.

Axystos.
Native: Nederlands; C2: Deutsch; C1: English;
B1: русский, français, 日本語;
A2: norsk, svenska; A1: português, italiano, español, čeština, polski

projetdefleur

Postby projetdefleur » 2004-12-01, 21:07

はじめまして!わたしのなまえはイエンです。わたしのしゅっしんはグリンスボロしです。グリンスボロしはノロスケロライナしゅうでです.だいがくのがくせいです;にねんせいです。わたしのせんこうはすうがくとげんごがくです。わたしのしゅみはテレビーゲエムとがいこくご。

Did I use de correctly? Or should I use ni? How would I say "Greensboro is in North Carolina"? Thanks, this is one of my first writings in japanese :)
Native: English
Actively studying: Русский язык

victor

Postby victor » 2004-12-02, 0:51

pa-integral wrote:EXERCISE 1: Translate these sentences below into Japanese:

1. You drink coffee.
Anata wa kōhī o nomimasu.

2. The dog sees the cat.
Inu wa neko o mimasu.

3. The woman eats the cake.
Onna no hito wa kēkī o tabemasu.

4. He buys the computer.
Kare wa konpyūta o kaimasu.

5. The student reads the book.
Gakusei wa hon o yomimasu.

I studied Japanese for one year but I remember hardly anything! :wink:
im new, ill try...

1. Anata wa kohi o nomimasu

2. inu was neko o mimasu

3. Onna no hito wa keki o tabemasu

4. Kare wa konpyuta o kaimasu

5. gakusei wa hon o yomimasu

BobMaster0

Postby BobMaster0 » 2004-12-02, 7:42

You should use に instead. So, a better sentence would be: ノースカロライナにあります。
Also, Greensboro should be グリーンズボロ and it would be better to say 大学生(だいがくせい)than 大学の学生(だいがくのがくせい).

Kubi

Postby Kubi » 2004-12-02, 14:17

Additional information on で/に:

You use に in order to say where something is located ("passive location") and で to say where something is done ("active location").
Je défendrai mes opinions jusqu'à ma mort, mais je donnerai ma vie pour que vous puissiez défendre les vôtres. - Voltaire

alois

Postby alois » 2004-12-02, 15:48

こんにちは

Well, seems like it's the best place to post my question. I've been facing the word こと (koto) several times these days, though I'm still not sure about its real meaning. Is it like the French "en" like in "je n'en ai pas"? Here are some examples in which in found it:

私には払うことができません。
watakushi ni wa harau koto ga dekimasen
I can't afford it (?)

私の友達に会ったことがありますか。 
watakushi no tomodachi ni atta koto ga arimasu ka
Have you met my son? (?)

Thank you in advance!

Rounin

Postby Rounin » 2004-12-02, 17:04

こと, and lately also の, are nominalizing particles, meaning they transform the preceding verb phrase into a noun phrase.

私には払うことができません。
watakushi ni wa harau koto ga dekimasen

To me, the act of paying is impossible.

私の友達に会ったことがありますか。 
watakushi no tomodachi ni atta koto ga arimasu ka

Have you had the experience of meeting my friend?

You could further use it in the following context:

およぐこと/およぐのが好きです。
I like swimming.

alois

Postby alois » 2004-12-02, 22:19

Hefestos wrote:私の友達に会ったことがありますか。 
Have you met my son? (?)

Son?! :shock: lol! "Friend", my fault. :wink:

projetdefleur

Postby projetdefleur » 2004-12-03, 0:30

はじめまして!私のなまえはイエンです。私のしゅっしんはグリーンスボロしです。グリーンスボロしはノロスケロライナしゅうにです.大学生です;にねん生です。私のせんこうはすうがくとげんごがくです。私のしゅみはテレビーゲエムとがいこくご。

There it is again... hopefully everything is fixed, and I used the kanji that I know. let me know if it's correct :)
Native: English

Actively studying: Русский язык

Kubi

Postby Kubi » 2004-12-03, 8:14

projetdefleur wrote:はじめまして!私のなまえはイエンです。私のしゅっしんはグリーンスボロしです。グリーンスボロしはノロスケロライナしゅうにです.大学生です;にねん生です。私のせんこうはすうがくとげんごがくです。私のしゅみはテレビーゲエムとがいこくご。

There it is again... hopefully everything is fixed, and I used the kanji that I know. let me know if it's correct :)

Some remarks (to be checked by others, though):

...にです sound awkward to me. You'd better write ...にあります

Instead of the two sentences 大学生です、二年生(にねんせい)です, I'd write 大学の二年生です。

In the last sentence you forgot the です :wink:

GoktimusPrime

Postby GoktimusPrime » 2004-12-05, 23:06

Actually, you can just say 大学二年生
This sounds much more natural and is in far more common usage than 大学の二年生

Return to “Japanese (日本語)”