General Discussion

Formiko
Re: General Discussion

Postby Formiko » 2010-12-08, 0:32

księżycowy wrote:
Formiko wrote:Not really. I've read a little, and I'm familiar with Algonquian language structure, but that's about it.

Just when I thought I had a study-buddy . . . :(

Sorry. If you wanna do Creek or Seminole or even Tlingit, I can be a study buddy (same with Cherokee, Navajo and Mohawk )
Cherokee Indian STILL improving German.
Getting reacquainted with Swahili Msaada!
In no particular order
[flag]eo[/flag][flag]de[/flag][flag]es[/flag][flag]yo[/flag][flag]chr[/flag][flag]ru[/flag]

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2010-12-08, 1:52

Formiko wrote:Sorry. If you wanna do Creek or Seminole or even Tlingit, I can be a study buddy (same with Cherokee, Navajo and Mohawk )

That's ok. Can't expect anyone here to know all the NA langs now can we? Or even a bunch. Though based on your list there you've got quite a few under your belt! :wink:
Obviously I'd be more then happy to take you up on your offer of Mohawk!
And interestingly enough you got quite a few langs I do want to do on your list there. I'm sure I'll be bugging you for quite a while! :twisted:

Formiko

Postby Formiko » 2010-12-08, 5:21

księżycowy wrote:
Formiko wrote:Sorry. If you wanna do Creek or Seminole or even Tlingit, I can be a study buddy (same with Cherokee, Navajo and Mohawk )

That's ok. Can't expect anyone here to know all the NA langs now can we? Or even a bunch. Though based on your list there you've got quite a few under your belt! :wink:
Obviously I'd be more then happy to take you up on your offer of Mohawk!
And interestingly enough you got quite a few langs I do want to do on your list there. I'm sure I'll be bugging you for quite a while! :twisted:

My knowledge of Cherokee is the best, with Tlingit after that, but Mohawk and Navajo are all B1 with Seminole A2.
In no particular order
[flag]eo[/flag][flag]de[/flag][flag]es[/flag][flag]yo[/flag][flag]chr[/flag][flag]ru[/flag]

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2010-12-08, 11:38

Even a-1 is better then me for any of those langs! :)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2010-12-11, 14:08

Any Cheyenne links, textbooks, ect yet Formiko? :)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2010-12-17, 20:19

Kind of wish we had more activity on our end of the forum. I almost feel like I'm talking to myself . . . :(
Anyone have any ideas to get a little more activity?
Nero? Formiko?

Formiko

Postby Formiko » 2010-12-18, 7:00

księżycowy wrote:Kind of wish we had more activity on our end of the forum. I almost feel like I'm talking to myself . . . :(
Nero? Formiko?

These languages are rarely studied, so be glad ANYONE is on here. ;)
In no particular order

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2010-12-18, 11:44

I know, I know! But I can dream! :)
Though I am contemplating making some Arapaho lessons eventually. That might drum-up a little business (for a little while anyway). We'll just have to see how my studying of Arapaho goes. :wink:
I was going to do that for Mohawk. But then I though, why do all that effort, when the Mohawk teaching grammar is in the public domain now.

Struthiomimus

Postby Struthiomimus » 2010-12-18, 18:08

księżycowy wrote:Kind of wish we had more activity on our end of the forum. I almost feel like I'm talking to myself . . .
Nero? Formiko?

Hmmm...well, if you're looking for several daily posts here, I don't see that happening anytime soon, as some of the language forums with much larger populations of speakers don't have that much activity. I think it'd be more realistic to expect/work towards activity on a weekly basis.

As for how to generate more activity, maybe you could start threads for the languages you're studying and do a "sentence of the week" that showcases some grammatical concept you're going over or some interesting feature of the language you're studying. So, you could open a thread "Mohawk Sentence of the Week," add a sentence that includes possession or the conditional or whatever, and update the thread weekly with a new sentence. If you gloss the sentences, then I think it'd be easier for passive learners or people just following along to participate in the thread than, say, just putting up a block of notes, which would probably require readers to have the same text as you to follow along. Another idea would be to start a music thread where people could share artists and songs that they like. And of course, you could always make some Arapaho lessons. :wink:
[flag=]wbp[/flag] [flag=]qu[/flag] [flag=]eo[/flag] [flag=]wo[/flag] [flag=]rom[/flag] [flag=]csb[/flag] [flag=]lkt[/flag]

"Beshav me akana kai le chirikle chi gilaban." kaj, "Beidh ceol, caint agus craic againn."

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2010-12-18, 18:53

Struthiomimus wrote:Hmmm...well, if you're looking for several daily posts here, I don't see that happening anytime soon, as some of the language forums with much larger populations of speakers don't have that much activity. I think it'd be more realistic to expect/work towards activity on a weekly basis.

Yeah, I don't certainly expect daily activity! That would be insane! Though it would be cool. 8-)
At our current status, I'd be happy with monthly activity if we could get it.

As for how to generate more activity, maybe you could start threads for the languages you're studying and do a "sentence of the week" that showcases some grammatical concept you're going over or some interesting feature of the language you're studying. So, you could open a thread "Mohawk Sentence of the Week," add a sentence that includes possession or the conditional or whatever, and update the thread weekly with a new sentence. If you gloss the sentences, then I think it'd be easier for passive learners or people just following along to participate in the thread than, say, just putting up a block of notes, which would probably require readers to have the same text as you to follow along. Another idea would be to start a music thread where people could share artists and songs that they like. And of course, you could always make some Arapaho lessons. :wink:

I do really like your idea of a 'sentence of the week.' At my current skill level for Mohawk and Arapaho that seems the easiest, and fastest way of getting some stuff going. Not sure if it'd be weekly, but at least that would give me even more motivation to study! :wink:

As far as a music thread, that might be a little hard. As this is the language specific part of the thread it might be assumed (I'd probably assume it myself) that it would need to be in the language(s) discussed. And even if we broaden our definition to include anything that is cultural relevant to the topic of Native Americans, I'm not sure there would be enough. Though I'm far from an expert. Plus they have the general music thread in the non-language forum. :hmm:

And I am seriously thinking of doing some more 'conversational' lessons for Arapaho. Unfortunately that's a ways off as it stands now.

Happy to see you around the NAIL thread Struth! And thanks for the ideas! :)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2010-12-18, 19:06

księżycowy wrote:Any Cheyenne links, textbooks, ect yet Formiko? :)

Oh, and I just ordered a copy of Let's Talk Cheyenne and I plan on getting one of the dictionaries I linked to in the 'Learning Resources' thread, so I should be good for now. Though anyone know if there are any grammars for sale for Cheyenne?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2010-12-18, 19:20

Nevermind, answered my own question! :)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2010-12-18, 19:59

księżycowy wrote:Kind of wish we had more activity on our end of the forum. I almost feel like I'm talking to myself . . . :(

Maybe we should have 'Native American Language Awareness Month' or something like that! :lol:

Formiko

Postby Formiko » 2010-12-19, 6:04

księżycowy wrote:Maybe we should have 'Native American Language Awareness Month' or something like that! :lol:

That was November :)
In no particular order

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2010-12-19, 10:54

Formiko wrote:That was November :)

Yay! Can't wait for next November then! :D

limoneneis

Postby limoneneis » 2010-12-19, 12:56

Formiko wrote:
Nero? Formiko?

I am here and I am still studying! :)
[flag=]kl[/flag][flag=]ja[/flag]

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2010-12-19, 13:57

limoneneis wrote:I am here and I am still studying! :)

Glad to hear it! 8-)

johnH

Postby johnH » 2010-12-21, 14:07

Formiko wrote:
Nero? Formiko?

I’ve been a little been inactive sorry about that. total ont he language well it's christmass. I’m most certainly be studying anyway I found a 500 megabyte pdf torrent of some pdf's relating to inuktitut. I tend to get distracted a-lot anyway.
entirely
OT: Seriously though lol, I have to say I’ve never been to bleeding irritated at the irrationality of a proffession that is supposed to be highly rational, than I am now. beyond that I wish not to talk about it.

Formiko

Postby Formiko » 2010-12-22, 8:38

johnH wrote:OT: Seriously though lol, I have to say I’ve never been to bleeding irritated at the irrationality of a proffession that is supposed to be highly rational, than I am now. beyond that I wish not to talk about it.

Was ist dein Beruf?
In no particular order

johnH

Postby johnH » 2010-12-25, 21:22

Wen ich Fertig bin mit der schule wahrscheinlich Anthropologe.
Ich finde es immer irritierend wen Leute unlogische Dinger annehmen nur weil Leute herum oder von der gleichen Subkultur oder Kultur das gleiche annehmen.
Am liebsten wurde ich direkt mit den leuten arbeiten die ich studiere auch wen es mir selbst in gefahr bringt aber naturlich ist es möglich das man es entwäder nicht praktisch oder nicht harmloss schafen kann. wen die uhr einwohner hoch sensle sind zu einer krankheit die ich personlich habbe oder kontakt zu innen in direkt gefahr bringen würde konnte ich sie nicht direkt studieren.

Return to “North American Indigenous Languages”