I need help with some Finnish words.

Moderator:Naava

davisma1984
I need help with some Finnish words.

Postby davisma1984 » 2004-10-17, 21:15

Can someone tell what this word means? I can't find it in any dictionary.

äänestysaika

I believe it is in the Nominative singular form. If it isn't could you please give the N. Sg. form and tell what form it in now?

Also, could you tell me the N. Sg., what form it's in, and translation of the following words:

soitamalla
handyssa

Kiitos!!

Varislintu

Re: I need help with some Finnish words.

Postby Varislintu » 2004-10-18, 6:47

äänestysaika = voting time, the time during which people are allowed to go vote.

I'm not sure what the N. Sg. is, but this word was a noun in basic, singular form :) .

soitamalla = soittamalla = by calling (on the telephone) OR by playing (an instrument) OR by sounding (a bell).

handyssa = handyssä = in the "handy". I'm not sure what is meant by "handy". It's clearly an English word, could be a product name, like a cell phone account or something.

Hope this sheds some light :D !

mikebond

Postby mikebond » 2004-10-18, 15:06

[quote="Varislintu] handyssa = handyssä = in the "handy". I'm not sure what is meant by "handy". It's clearly an English word, could be a product name, like a cell phone account or something.
Hope this sheds some light :D ![/quote]

Das Handy is the German word for the cellular phone. It comes clearly from Hand, because this phone can be held in the hand.

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2004-10-18, 16:00

mikebond wrote:Das Handy is the German word for the cellular phone. It comes clearly from Hand, because this phone can be held in the hand.

The origin isn't clear, but I've heard it's called like that, because it was said in the early days that it was "handy".
Please correct my mistakes!

davisma1984

Postby davisma1984 » 2004-10-18, 23:28

Thanks for your help. I do have another question. Does anyone know where I can watch any kind of Finnish television online? Thanks again.

Strigo

Postby Strigo » 2004-10-19, 2:15

davisma1984 wrote:Thanks for your help. I do have another question. Does anyone know where I can watch any kind of Finnish television online? Thanks again.

I'm looking for that too.
Aquí es donde traduzco diariamente música israelí del hebreo al español

[flag]cl[/flag] native; [flag]en[/flag] fluent; [flag]il[/flag] lower advanced ; [flag]pt-BR[/flag] read fluently, understand well, speak not so badly (specially after some Itaipava); recently focusing on [flag]sv[/flag][flag]ar[/flag] and I promised myself to finish my [flag]ru[/flag] New Penguin Russian Course: A Complete Course for Beginners in less than a month (12/oct/2013). Wants to wake up one day speaking [flag]ka[/flag][flag]lt[/flag] and any Turkic language.

CoBB

Postby CoBB » 2004-10-19, 5:35

YLE might be a good starting place, both for radio and TV stations.
Tanulni, tanulni, tanulni!

A pő, ha engemély, kimár / De mindegegy, ha vildagár... / ...mert engemély mindet bagul, / Mint vélgaban a bégahur!...

Liisi

Postby Liisi » 2004-10-19, 8:45

Strigo wrote:
davisma1984 wrote:Thanks for your help. I do have another question. Does anyone know where I can watch any kind of Finnish television online? Thanks again.

Unfortunately it's not possible to watch Finnish TV online, because everyone owning a television in Finland is collected a television fee (at least in theory :lol:) and it would make no sense if one could watch it for free online. The fee is collected to paid for the state owned channels YLE 1 and 2, which are free of commercials.

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2004-10-19, 12:14

Liisi wrote:
Strigo wrote:

Unfortunately it's not possible to watch Finnish TV online, because everyone owning a television in Finland is collected a television fee (at least in theory :lol:) and it would make no sense if one could watch it for free online. The fee is collected to paid for the state owned channels YLE 1 and 2, which are free of commercials.

Oh, there's a way. Just collect the fee from everyone with internet access, including companies. That's how they try to make the fee even higher here. :roll:

Anchjo

Postby Anchjo » 2004-10-19, 17:33

Take a look at YLE 24 videosali (YLE24 "video hall"). There you can watch some past YLE TV and radio programs online. You must have Real Player or Windows Media Player (or any other media player that can handle the right file type) installed.

VIDEOT (TV programs)
Aamu-tv = Morning TV
Alueelliset TV-uutiset = Regional TV news
A-ohjelmat = a series of discussion / talk / conversation programs, etc
Kulttuuriuutiset = Cultur news
Lauantaiseura = a discussion program
Talousuutiset = Financial news
Uutiset = News
Viittomakieliset uutiset = News in Finnish sign language

AUDIO (radio programs)
Radiouutiset = Radio News
Talousuutiset = Financial News
Kulttuuriuutiset = Culture News
Popuutiset = Pop news
Please help me to improve my language skills and PM me if you encounter any spelling mistakes in my posts. Thank you!

Postby Guest » 2004-10-22, 7:24

Car wrote:Oh, there's a way. Just collect the fee from everyone with internet access, including companies. That's how they try to make the fee even higher here. :roll:

What, really!? That sounds terribly illogical!

Soon record companies will probably come up with the same idea, and make people with internet connections pay a "music fee", because "they're gonna download anyway" :roll: .

Varislintu not logged

Postby Varislintu not logged » 2004-10-22, 7:26

Sorry, that was me above!

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2004-10-22, 7:37

Anonymous wrote:
Car wrote:Oh, there's a way. Just collect the fee from everyone with internet access, including companies. That's how they try to make the fee even higher here. :roll:

What, really!? That sounds terribly illogical!

Soon record companies will probably come up with the same idea, and make people with internet connections pay a "music fee", because "they're gonna download anyway" :roll: .

No doubt about that, everyone is against that. It's like having to go to jail, because you might become a criminal. :roll:
But we also have to pay more for CD writers and blank CDs, because we might copy songs and TV shows, so no real surprise.

Return to “Finnish (Suomi)”