Coptic/Egyptian

Moderator:Ashucky

Æxylis
Coptic/Egyptian

Postby Æxylis » 2010-03-21, 11:26

I've always had a special fascination with logographic scripts and Egyptology in general so it's no surprise that I would have a fascination with the Egyptian language. I think it sounds very neat, at least what people think it sounds like. Of all the languages of the world, I think this is certainly one worthy of revival. The grammar of Coptic that I know of is great, although I'm sure a bit of it comes from Greek, which is also awesome. It's been a pain trying to figure out how to type or at least represent things like hieroglyphs, hieratic, and/or demotic online. The latest unicode standard just barely added hieroglyphs in the 13000 range but they still don't show up on browsers. In either case, my main focus is on Coptic right now because it's the easiest to display on computers, but I still study hieroglyphs and the like as well. I know of some sites where you can find resources for studying Egyptian. Omniglot actually has a set of links in their links section specially dedicated to ancient Egyptian.
Если хочешь говорить со мной по скайпу, мой скайп нейм - jaakuuta
If you want to speak with me on Skype, my Skype name is jaakuuta

Yeshua.C

Re: Coptic/Egyptian

Postby Yeshua.C » 2010-03-21, 19:36

I have a truck load of resources on all forms of Egyptian language, it's one of my favourites (from a list of about 60 languages I love :D).

As of yet, I'm only an amateur on the subject, but I think it's easier to do Early/Middle/Late Egyptian on paper. And Demotic and Coptic can be done on computers.

I would love to see an Ancient Egyptian revival, but I'm already working on reviving an Australian language.

Æxylis

Postby Æxylis » 2010-03-21, 21:14

how do you do demotic on computers?

Æxylis

Postby Æxylis » 2010-03-22, 10:11

Here's a song in middle egyptian, the only one I know of, if you'd like to hear what it sounds like:

Sean of the Dead

Postby Sean of the Dead » 2010-03-22, 16:57

That's a pretty good song. :D Do you have the lyrics for it? I tried to find them, but couldn't anywhere.
Main focuses: [flag]kw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag]
Sub focus: Plautdietsch
On my own: [flag]is[/flag]

Meera

Postby Meera » 2010-03-22, 20:42

I would love to learn Ancient egyptian! Its soo cool
अहिंसा/เจ
Learning: (hi) (ja) (ko) (fr)

Æxylis

Postby Æxylis » 2010-03-22, 23:17

Sean of the Dead wrote:That's a pretty good song. :D Do you have the lyrics for it? I tried to find them, but couldn't anywhere.

yeah, I like the song too... I don't have the lyrics as I tried searching for them too... the best person to ask about that would probably be the band themselves (darkest of the hillside thickets) ... perhaps it's in the info on their album... but if you do happen to find the lyrics, I would certainly love to have them myself :D

panoglyph

Postby panoglyph » 2010-09-04, 2:49

I'm a fan of Middle Egyptian especially, but I also dabble in demotic, and a little Coptic. I might do it for grad school, but maybe Christian Latin instead. I have a BA in Linguistics. Middle Egyptian is actually my favorite non-Christian language. I think the writing system is the most beautiful and interesting in existence, mostly because Mayan's kind-of gruesome and really only records timelines. Monumental Egyptian isn't too much more elaborate, but hey.

Yeshua.C

Postby Yeshua.C » 2010-09-05, 6:38

"non-christian language"?

If I remember correctly, reading the bible is pretty gruesome. But I guess that if someone is brainwashed into a member of a religion, Christian or Mayan, they gloss over those parts. All's fair in religion+ war. :)

But, Middle Egyptian is awesome! :)

ILuvEire

Postby ILuvEire » 2010-09-05, 20:14

I too am quite interested in what constitutes a Christian language. I mean, Jewish languages, I understand, but as far as I know, there isn't a language that is used only by Christians, or versions of other languages used by Christians. Latin was used in the Roman Empire, Ancient Greek by the Ancient Greeks, Hebrew by the Jews, the only one I can think of is maybe Old Church Slavonic, but even that isn't a very good example.

Anyway, I adore Ancient Egyptian (Coptic, not so much) however, I just haven't gotten around to doing any learning, hehe.
[flag]de[/flag] [flag]da[/flag] [flag]fr-qc[/flag] [flag]haw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]
Current focus: [flag]ga[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag]
Facebook | tumblr | Twitter
“We need to make books cool again. If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them.” —John Waters

Formiko

Postby Formiko » 2010-09-05, 21:12

ILuvEire wrote:I too am quite interested in what constitutes a Christian language.

I'm thinking he means the same one I learned..Greek and Hebrew and Catholics learn Latin too.
Cherokee Indian STILL improving German.
Getting reacquainted with Swahili Msaada!
In no particular order
[flag]eo[/flag][flag]de[/flag][flag]es[/flag][flag]yo[/flag][flag]chr[/flag][flag]ru[/flag]

juuni...

Postby juuni... » 2010-09-18, 19:54

can't believe i didn't see this thread earlier. i'm happy there is one.
i love egyptian things, and the coptic language...
it's one of my language goal things i guess... but i'm at a bit of a lack for resources.
maybe i'm not looking hard enough.

Nero

Postby Nero » 2010-09-18, 21:43

ILuvEire wrote:I too am quite interested in what constitutes a Christian language. I mean, Jewish languages, I understand, but as far as I know, there isn't a language that is used only by Christians, or versions of other languages used by Christians. Latin was used in the Roman Empire, Ancient Greek by the Ancient Greeks, Hebrew by the Jews, the only one I can think of is maybe Old Church Slavonic, but even that isn't a very good example.

Anyway, I adore Ancient Egyptian (Coptic, not so much) however, I just haven't gotten around to doing any learning, hehe.

Maybe he meant liturgical language. If that were the case, Coptic is still the language of the Coptic Catholic and Orthodox churches

Formiko

Postby Formiko » 2010-09-18, 22:33

Nero wrote:
Maybe he meant liturgical language. If that were the case, Coptic is still the language of the Coptic Catholic and Orthodox churches

Hey Nero! Long time no see!
Cherokee Indian STILL improving German.
Getting reacquainted with Swahili Msaada!
In no particular order
[flag]eo[/flag][flag]de[/flag][flag]es[/flag][flag]yo[/flag][flag]chr[/flag][flag]ru[/flag]

Nero

Postby Nero » 2010-09-20, 14:45

Formiko wrote:
Nero wrote:

Hey Nero! Long time no see!

I pop in and out - I see you've moved to Ghana

Quevenois

Postby Quevenois » 2010-09-20, 16:33

there isn't a language that is used only by Christians

maybe the Celtic ones, but nowadays I guess there may be atheists and people of other religions who learn them. But for native speakers, I think they're all Christian.
אַ שפראַך איז אַ דיאַלעקט מיט אַן אַרמײ און פֿלאָט

Jurgen Wullenwever

Postby Jurgen Wullenwever » 2010-09-20, 16:58

Quevenois wrote:

maybe the Celtic ones, but nowadays I guess there may be atheists and people of other religions who learn them. But for native speakers, I think they're all Christian.

A Christian Druid? Now that might be interesting.
Chekhov wrote:I don't know about naive worldviews, but Jurgen Wullenwhatever pisses me off to no end because of his extreme pessimism and cynicism. You'd think the world was going to end imminently when talking to that guy.

Jag är rebell: jag sockrar teet, saltar maten, cyklar utan hjälm, och tänder glödlampor.
(Ovanstående var förut, nu försöker jag minska sockret och saltet, och har gett upp mejeriprodukter.)

ILuvEire

Postby ILuvEire » 2010-09-23, 2:16

Quevenois wrote:

I sort of meant historically and in the present. The Celtic languages aren't known for being used primarily by Christians (besides, they're Protestants! That guy is Catholic!)
[flag]de[/flag] [flag]da[/flag] [flag]fr-qc[/flag] [flag]haw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]
Current focus: [flag]ga[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag]
Facebook | tumblr | Twitter
“We need to make books cool again. If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them.” —John Waters

Karavinka

Postby Karavinka » 2010-12-20, 2:08

There's one thing that I absolutely love about Coptic - its verbal morphology is much simpler than Semitic. But it's hard to remember the words because they all sound damn too weird (at least for me).

Although I'm not learning Middle Egyptian now, I'm curious how those of you who do learn it practice the writing system. Do you hand-copy the hieroglyphs?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2010-12-23, 14:14

Though I wouldn't know anything about the Coptic verbal forms (yet), I have been quite interested in Coptic for sometime (and by proxy Ancient Egyptian). Actually I plan on learning Coptic after I'm done with Classical Hebrew (or Biblical if you prefer).

Could anyone recommend a good book to use?
(And I'm asking for Coptic, not Ancient Egyptian. I have two really good ones for A. Egyptian)

Return to “Ancient, Classical and Extinct Languages”