Appropriate Brazilian Portuguese accent

Moderator:Luís

Michael
Appropriate Brazilian Portuguese accent

Postby Michael » 2010-09-17, 21:46

I have been learning Portuguese for about 5 months now, and I am generally decently proficient in it; I still have to learn much vocabulary and a few more verbs. But that is not the problem.

It would be very helpful if I knew which Brazilian Portuguese is the best for me to adapt. I up to now have been speaking Portuguese in the Carioca accent from Rio de Janeiro since I like its softening of -s and -st-, but it seems the majority of Brazilians don't do this softening :shock: which sorta disappoints me because Portuguese does not sound the same to me without that specific feature :( But if I have to, I will be willing to adopt a certain accent; now all I need to know is...which one?
American English (en-us) Neapolitan from Molise (nap) N Italian (it) B2 Spanish (es) Portuguese (pt) French (fr) Greek (el) Albanian (sq) B1 Polish (pl) Romanian (ro) A2 Azerbaijani (az) Turkish (tr) Old English (en_old) A1
„Çdo njeri është peng i veprave të veta.‟
Every human being is hostage to their own deeds.

BlackZ

Re: Appropriate Brazilian Portuguese accent

Postby BlackZ » 2010-09-18, 14:05

In my humble opinion you should learn and use the accent you like the most - which in your case seems to be Carioca. If you are worried about intelligibility, you should find few problems (if at all) when communicating with people from other regions of Brazil (unless your foreign accent is too strong, but that's other problem I guess).
Native: [flag=]pt-br[/flag]
Learning: [flag=]en-us[/flag] [flag=]fr[/flag] [flag=]ja[/flag] [flag=]es[/flag] [flag=]ca[/flag] [flag=]de[/flag]

Psi-Lord

Postby Psi-Lord » 2010-09-18, 14:26

I agree with BlackZ.

It’s also important to try and get a uniform accent, avoiding mixing features from different parts of the country (although even that wouldn’t really prevent you from being understood).
português do Brasil (pt-BR)British English (en-GB) galego (gl) português (pt) •• العربية (ar) български (bg) Cymraeg (cy) Deutsch (de)  r n km.t (egy) español rioplatense (es-AR) 日本語 (ja) 한국어 (ko) lingua Latina (la) ••• Esperanto (eo) (grc) français (fr) (hi) magyar (hu) italiano (it) polski (pl) Türkçe (tr) 普通話 (zh-CN)

maxd.ijn

Postby maxd.ijn » 2012-04-03, 2:08

I think that Brasilian Portuguese accents are not so different from each other. Although there are some specific idioms and words used in diferent parts of the country, you shouldn't worry about the one you want to learn. The only one I can see some big diferences is the gaúcho accent, which is spoken in the southern part of the country, and personaly, it resembles a bit the european portuguese.

Well, if you want an advice on which one you will choose to learn, I can say that the paulista accent is a very good choice. It's the one which most resembles the audio tracks from Brazilian Portuguese learning materials and the used on national tv programs.
Learning: [flag=]de[/flag]
Native: [flag=]pt-br[/flag]; C1: [flag=]en-UK[/flag]; A2: [flag=]es[/flag]
Corrections are welcome! ;)

Osias

Postby Osias » 2012-04-04, 14:38

Ei, bem vindo ao fórum!
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

Michael

Postby Michael » 2012-04-04, 14:51

Bom, um ano após ter postado isso, e já adotei um sotaque, o sotaque carioca. :)
American English (en-us) Neapolitan from Molise (nap) N Italian (it) B2 Spanish (es) Portuguese (pt) French (fr) Greek (el) Albanian (sq) B1 Polish (pl) Romanian (ro) A2 Azerbaijani (az) Turkish (tr) Old English (en_old) A1
„Çdo njeri është peng i veprave të veta.‟
Every human being is hostage to their own deeds.

maxd.ijn

Postby maxd.ijn » 2012-04-04, 22:10

osias wrote:Ei, bem vindo ao fórum!

Obrigado! :D

Michael wrote:Bom, um ano após ter postado isso, e já adotei um sotaque, o sotaque carioca. :)

Percebi que este post era do ano passado alguns minutos depois de ter escrito tudo, mas decidi enviar mesmo assim. Mas é bom saber que decidiu sobre qual sotaque aprender :D
Learning: [flag=]de[/flag]
Native: [flag=]pt-br[/flag]; C1: [flag=]en-UK[/flag]; A2: [flag=]es[/flag]
Corrections are welcome! ;)

BlackZ

Postby BlackZ » 2012-04-11, 11:26

Roman wrote:
Michael wrote:Bom, um ano após ter postado isso, e já adotei um sotaque, o sotaque carioca. :)

Não faz isso, cara! :D

Bem, nós tentamos salvá-lo, mas não teve jeito :lol:

Roman wrote:Talvez um estilo carioca, mas não tão "carregado" no som de "x" no lugar dos "s" e sem enfiar um "i" em nascer (naiscer, naiscimento) até que ficaria bonito. :twisted:

Então você está falando do meu sotaque de Santos. :)
Native: [flag=]pt-br[/flag]
Learning: [flag=]en-us[/flag] [flag=]fr[/flag] [flag=]ja[/flag] [flag=]es[/flag] [flag=]ca[/flag] [flag=]de[/flag]

Return to “Portuguese (Português)”