Volapük

This forum is for constructed languages, both those invented by UniLang members and those already existing.

Moderators:Ashucky, Dormouse559

Riptide
Re: Volapük

Postby Riptide » 2009-12-22, 14:43

Thanks Thild. :)
Unilang Language Codes
Skype chats (ask to be added):
Austronesian Languages, Romance Languages, and Main UL
Main Languages of focus: Costa Rican Spanish (es-cr) Spanish, Tagalog (tl) Tagalog, Malagasy (mg) Malagasy
Other Languages: Cebuano (ceb) Cebuano, Romanian (ro) Romanian

Metaforic

Postby Metaforic » 2009-12-24, 16:11

We invite all the new friends of Volapük, and all UniLang users that are curious about this language to the Volapük Sunday Meeting this Sunday at 18:00 GMT, 19 CET, 20 EET, 13 EST!

Let's make this the biggest meeting to date! Beginners are welcome!

And Merry Christmas to all unilangers!

Riptide

Postby Riptide » 2009-12-24, 16:42

If I'm not going anywhere, sure I'll come. :)
Unilang Language Codes
Skype chats (ask to be added):
Austronesian Languages, Romance Languages, and Main UL
Main Languages of focus: Costa Rican Spanish (es-cr) Spanish, Tagalog (tl) Tagalog, Malagasy (mg) Malagasy
Other Languages: Cebuano (ceb) Cebuano, Romanian (ro) Romanian

chuff

Postby chuff » 2009-12-26, 21:07

i think i'll be there.
Thus saith the chuff.

Metaforic

Postby Metaforic » 2009-12-27, 1:20

Glidis e Kritidi fredik ole e frenes valiks Volapüka! In vig at, elabobs pösödis nuliks mödiks kelis ekömons in spikotacem obas Volapükik. Vüdob oli lü Kolköm Sudelik Volapüka, Sudel at (Dekul 27id) tü düp 18 GMT (19 CET, 20 EET, 13 EST)! Primans binons benokömöls! Ad konektön lü spikotacem, golöl lü ladet at: http://embed.mibbit.com/?server=irc.uni ... %23volapuk , e pos ninükolös länemi ola e klikolös "Connect". Mekobsös atosi kolköm Volapükik gretikum ela 2009!

Hello and Merry Christmas to you and all the friends of Volapük! This week, we had many new persons which came to our IRC Volapük chatroom. I invite you to the Sunday Volapük meeting, this Sunday (december 27th) at 18 GMT (19 CET, 20 EET, 13 EST)! Beginners are welcome! To connect to the chatroom, go to this address: http://embed.mibbit.com/?server=irc.uni ... %23volapuk , then enter your nickname and click connect. Let us make this the biggest Volapük meeting of 2009!

Hampayof

Postby Hampayof » 2010-08-05, 9:58

I was into Vp bigtime for a couple of years up til last year, and used to frequent the IRC room. I've just read through this topic, have got a couple of little remarks to make.

1. Regarding ä and e, most people (including me) believe they're pronounced [E] and [e] respectively, but Ralph Midgely has stated more than once that it's the other way round! My gut feeling is that the usually-correct Guvan has got it wrong. Unless a definitive statement from Schleyer or De Jong can be found that supports Ralph, I suggest Volapükans stick to the majority view.

2. Regarding new words, new roots are added to the language by the Kadäm (Academy). If you think a new word is needed, send it to Ralph (or someone else high-up) by email or at the Yahoo Group, and leave it to them. Within a few weeks, they will either reject the suggestion, officially add a new word (which could potentially be one you suggested yourself), or declare that it is to be formed from existing roots.

There should be a complete dictionary somewhere, but I'm not aware of one. Also, to my knowledge, the majority of recently created roots have been country names, which you can find at Vükiped.

Metaforic

Postby Metaforic » 2010-08-05, 10:17

Glidis!

Liedo, äs kanol logön, nek egesagon is sis Kritid. Ed in spikotacem, no etuvob neki sis for muls. Primob ad säkön obi if nog dabinons pösöds kels nitedons in Volapük. Ol esagol obi cedi ola.

Dö "ä" ed "e", cedob das no binon so veütik lio pronos onis. Pro ob, e spikans pükas romaniks, dif binon realiko bosik. Tefü kin dasumon vödis nuliks, si, caloviko te Kadem kanon dunön oni. Ab mekob i vödabuki oba; äs logol penob in formed difik e kanol 100% suemön obi.

Lifös Volapük!

Evertype

Postby Evertype » 2010-09-16, 10:35

Those of you interested in Volapük may be pleased to learn that Ralph Midgeley has begun a translation of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, to be titled Ventürs jiela Lälid in Stunalän. I will be publishing the translation when it is finished.

Ralph is posting the draft one paragraph a day for those who would like to help proof it.

RitästlaüfVesüdlän

Postby RitästlaüfVesüdlän » 2011-07-13, 20:45

can we restart this volapük chatroom? Is there anyone still interested?

Metaforic

Postby Metaforic » 2011-07-14, 14:06

Glidis, flen!

I'm up for it any time, however previous experience has shown that it's better to plan meetings in the chatroom in advance (if it's possible make them regular).

Where do you live and what would be a good time for you to meet in the channel? I'm available evenings GMT.

We could also use Skype or TeamSpeak to chat in Volapük (it's fun!)

Evertype

Postby Evertype » 2011-12-07, 17:27

I usually realize ä as [æ] and e as [ɛ] in closed syllables but [e] in open ones.

benjamino59

Postby benjamino59 » 2013-01-29, 19:53

Hi everybody!
I don't know if anybody is still checking this thread, but I'm still going to post it.

My name's Benjamin, I live in Denmark, I'm 13 years old and I've gotten pretty interested in Volapük. I speak Danish (of course), English and a bit of German. I've been trying to learn a new language, but all of the languages I've tried wasn't interesting (French, Latin, Russian and Chinese). But Volapük really catched me, and I would spend lots of time to get fluent in it. I like the sounds and the grammar of it.

What resources are there out there to learn Volapük? I couldn't find much else than this: http://personal.southern.edu/~caviness/ ... vif00.html

Itikar

Postby Itikar » 2013-01-29, 23:59

I am absolutely not a volapükker, but looking at the archive.org is always a good idea:

http://archive.org/search.php?query=volap%C3%BCk

I hope it helps and I wish you success in your language study. :)
Fletto i muscoli e sono nel vuoto!
All corrections are welcome and appreciated.

Return to “Conlangs”