"Esperanta" reasons

mithridates
Re: "Esperanta" reasons

Postby mithridates » 2009-12-18, 15:32

The two languages I've always had the easiest time using are Ido and Lingua Franca Nova. Ido because the derivation is logical and what I'm used to (-ar to -o always shows the action of a verb for example, never its result or tool or anything else), and Lingua Franca Nova because it's just so ridiculously easy with its creolish grammar and derivation. A verb for example can always be used as a noun, just like with English walk or swim. In LFN you can say Me introdui un idea nova (I introduce a new idea) or Esta es un introdui a... (this is an introduction to...), using the exact same form.

Klanestro

Postby Klanestro » 2009-12-19, 15:23

Unua, Firstly

Mi lernis esperanton, por mi unua lingvo,
I learned esperanto for mi first language

It is hard to learn a language, so I decided to learn a language that let me see "how" a language is regularly constructed. And get over my first language "Hump" You guys use words like verb's and conjunctions and nouns,I never understood them unti i started studing esperanto.

I love using the language it is really fun, I after i get fluent, I will study something else.

Renestl

Postby Renestl » 2010-01-11, 2:58

I agree with Klanestro. I'm learning Esperanto as my "first" second language. I've tried a few other languages in high school and on my own, but this is the first one that I really understand and is actually sticking. It started out as just curiosity, but now I actually want to become fluent.

It is hard to learn a second language and although Esperanto is not simple, it makes it simple for me. In all honesty I'm not really fluent in my first language grammarwise.
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” ~ Mark Twain

linguaholic

Postby linguaholic » 2010-01-11, 17:50

Welcome Renestl and Klanestro! Good to see more Esperanto speakers around here. Feel free to post on here if you need help with Esperanto or just want to practise.
native: Deutsch / advanced: English, Nederlands / intermediate: Esperanto / forgotten: Français / fighting my way through: עברית מקראית / dreaming of: Čeština, עברית / admiring from a safe distance: فارسی

davidwelsh

Postby davidwelsh » 2010-01-18, 22:12

I first learned Esperanto out of curiosity, but I continued studying it in large part because I think it's an incredibly beautiful language. I'm not thinking of the phonology primarily, but rather the flexibility and suppleness of the language.

In particular, the affix system and the fact that you can use any root as any part of speech provide endless opportunities for creativity, elegance and playfulness.

When I read well-written Esperanto I often come across words and expressions like "la ĉielo bluegas", "pli malpli", "ĉei", "bierema", "kafumi" and the like that give me a little frisson of linguistic pleasure. I have this kind of experience more often with Esperanto than with any other language. Esperanto is a work of art.
Mostly speaking: Norwegian, English, a little Polish
Mostly reading: Norwegian, English, Scots, Swedish, Danish, Esperanto
Mostly learning: Sanskrit, Tibetan, Polish
Mostly dabbling in: Mandarin Chinese

gyrus

Postby gyrus » 2010-01-19, 18:34

davidwelsh wrote:I first learned Esperanto out of curiosity, but I continued studying it in large part because I think it's an incredibly beautiful language. I'm not thinking of the phonology primarily, but rather the flexibility and suppleness of the language.

In particular, the affix system and the fact that you can use any root as any part of speech provide endless opportunities for creativity, elegance and playfulness.

When I read well-written Esperanto I often come across words and expressions like "la ĉielo bluegas", "pli malpli", "ĉei", "bierema", "kafumi" and the like that give me a little frisson of linguistic pleasure. I have this kind of experience more often with Esperanto than with any other language. Esperanto is a work of art.

Kio do signifas kafumi? Mi tute konsentas kun vi, tio estas certe la plej mirinda eco de Esperanto :).
[flag]en[/flag][flag]fr[/flag][flag]de[/flag][flag]ja[/flag][flag]eo[/flag][flag]zh[/flag]
Twitter
YouTube

Narbleh

Postby Narbleh » 2010-01-19, 20:37

kafo-um-i
[flag=]en-us[/flag][flag=]fr[/flag][flag=]eo[/flag][flag=]nl[/flag]Image

davidwelsh

Postby davidwelsh » 2010-01-20, 22:23

gyrus wrote:Kio do signifas kafumi?

Kafumi signifas kuntrinki kafon, sed elvokas senton de varmo kaj agrabla kunesto kiun trinki kafon ne havas.

Formiko

Postby Formiko » 2010-01-21, 0:25

davidwelsh wrote:

Kafumi signifas kuntrinki kafon, sed elvokas senton de varmo kaj agrabla kunesto kiun trinki kafon ne havas.

kafumi = "to do the coffee thing"
Cherokee Indian STILL improving German.
Getting reacquainted with Swahili Msaada!
In no particular order
[flag]eo[/flag][flag]de[/flag][flag]es[/flag][flag]yo[/flag][flag]chr[/flag][flag]ru[/flag]

gyrus

Postby gyrus » 2010-01-22, 15:06

Formiko wrote:
davidwelsh wrote:

kafumi = "to do the coffee thing"

Is that a real phrase in English? Because I'm never heard it before. Or are you just estimating the literal meaning of kaf- + -um-?
[flag]en[/flag][flag]fr[/flag][flag]de[/flag][flag]ja[/flag][flag]eo[/flag][flag]zh[/flag]
Twitter
YouTube

Formiko

Postby Formiko » 2010-01-22, 20:05

gyrus wrote:Is that a real phrase in English? Because I'm never heard it before. Or are you just estimating the literal meaning of kaf- + -um-?

The easiest way to understand "um" words, is to say "the ____thing. Having coffee with friends is the coffee thing, no? Just like butikumi is to go shopping or the "shop thing" :
In no particular order
[flag]eo[/flag][flag]de[/flag][flag]es[/flag][flag]yo[/flag][flag]chr[/flag][flag]ru[/flag]

davidwelsh

Postby davidwelsh » 2010-01-23, 8:23

Formiko wrote:The easiest way to understand "um" words, is to say "the ____thing. Having coffee with friends is the coffee thing, no? Just like butikumi is to go shopping or the "shop thing" :

Amindumi - to do the love thing... 8-)

gyrus

Postby gyrus » 2010-01-23, 16:59

Formiko wrote:
gyrus wrote:Is that a real phrase in English? Because I'm never heard it before. Or are you just estimating the literal meaning of kaf- + -um-?

The easiest way to understand "um" words, is to say "the ____thing. Having coffee with friends is the coffee thing, no? Just like butikumi is to go shopping or the "shop thing" :

Of course, since akvumi is to irrigate with water, kafumi could be taken to have a quite different meaning :P
Twitter
YouTube

Formiko

Postby Formiko » 2010-01-23, 21:18

gyrus wrote:
Formiko wrote:

Of course, since akvumi is to irrigate with water, kafumi could be taken to have a quite different meaning :P

Hehe :) Besides the words that have a predefined meaning :) But for that I would maybe say "diskafigi"? :)
In no particular order

gyrus

Postby gyrus » 2010-01-23, 21:27

Formiko wrote:Hehe :) Besides the words that have a predefined meaning :) But for that I would maybe say "diskafigi"? :)

I wonder if "kafakvumi" would be viable? XD
Twitter
YouTube

Formiko

Postby Formiko » 2010-01-23, 21:43

gyrus wrote:
Formiko wrote:Hehe :) Besides the words that have a predefined meaning :) But for that I would maybe say "diskafigi"? :)

I wonder if "kafakvumi" would be viable? XD

Eble! I would understand it! :)
In no particular order

Dreki

Postby Dreki » 2010-02-17, 14:32

I'd like to thank everyone who commented in this thread. I'm not sure if I want to learn Esperanto or not- I like the idea behind it- so it was good to hear why people have been learning it.

Klanestro wrote: It is hard to learn a language, so I decided to learn a language that let me see "how" a language is regularly constructed. And get over my first language "Hump" You guys use words like verb's and conjunctions and nouns,I never understood them unti i started studing esperanto.

Yes, this! That's the perfect way of putting it, "first language hump". I'm still struggling with that. I've never learned a language before (past 2nd year, never to the point where I could decently write/speak/think in it) and it's hard to know how to do it. I can't help but think of it as English because that's all I know.
TAC- Focus: [flag]is[/flag] Also: Image

Meera

Postby Meera » 2010-03-11, 5:08

my friend and i are learning so when we speak no one understand us :lol:
अहिंसा/เจ
Learning: (hi) (ja) (ko) (fr)

Formiko

Postby Formiko » 2010-03-11, 5:14

Meera wrote:my friend and i are learning so when we speak no one understand us :lol:

Bonŝancon!
In no particular order

Sean of the Dead

Postby Sean of the Dead » 2010-03-11, 6:59

Meera wrote:my friend and i are learning so when we speak no one understand us :lol:

Bryon and I have recently thought of doing this too, with Esperanto also. :D It'd be really easy top learn, and it would be awesome to be able to talk to each other in a different language. :mrgreen: I know I've said I'd never learn Esperanto, but recently I've started liking it (along with some other Romance languages :P ), and it'd be fun to learn. :)

Also, I was looking on meetup.com, and saw several people in Seattle (right next to my city) are looking for an Esperanto group, so eventually I could help get one started, so people could get together and practice.
Main focuses: [flag]kw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag]
Sub focus: Plautdietsch
On my own: [flag]is[/flag]

Return to “Esperanto”