Salishan Languages

Struthiomimus
Salishan Languages

Postby Struthiomimus » 2009-12-31, 18:00

I’m surprised with all his talk of Lushootseed, Sean hasn’t started a similar thread...

Salishan languages constitute a linguistic family endemic to the Pacific Northwest in the US and parts of southwestern Canada. One feature of Salishan languages that has caught the interest of several linguists and language-enthusiasts is the presence of massive consonant clusters. Unfortunately, the outlook doesn’t look good for this family of languages since all are essentially moribund. The languages with the most speakers (Halkomelem, Comox, Lillooet, Thompson, Okanagan) only have numbers in the hundreds, although Shuswap may possibly have more than a thousand speakers. But with the internet, anything is possible…maybe even a revival of one or more of them.

Some links:

kanutv.com/Lushootseed.html

web.uvic.ca/hrd/salish/

salishworld.com/language.htm

globalrecordings.net/program/C13810
[flag=]wbp[/flag] [flag=]qu[/flag] [flag=]eo[/flag] [flag=]wo[/flag] [flag=]rom[/flag] [flag=]csb[/flag] [flag=]lkt[/flag]

"Beshav me akana kai le chirikle chi gilaban." kaj, "Beidh ceol, caint agus craic againn."

Formiko

Re: Salishan Languages

Postby Formiko » 2010-01-01, 18:10

Hey Struth! My specialty is American Indian languages, however Salishan is my Moby Dick :(
When I did field research w/ the Tlingit, that was the hardest thing I've ever done, yet the Salishan languages are even harder. Anyone who attempts ANY Salishan language and can create a simple spoken sentence deserves my utmost respect, and should definitely tell the tribal chief. He may carve you a plaque :)
Cherokee Indian STILL improving German.
Getting reacquainted with Swahili Msaada!
In no particular order
[flag]eo[/flag][flag]de[/flag][flag]es[/flag][flag]yo[/flag][flag]chr[/flag][flag]ru[/flag]

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2010-01-20, 15:08

I happen to have a link to some Lushootseed resources here. It even has some video lessons for Lushootseed.

They even sell a set of grammar/reader books for Lushootseed (The Lushootseed Readers from Montana U.) though you have to email them and inquire about them, and I'm not sure how many are in stock, it seems that they are no longer printing the readers, but they do have some left, just not sure how many. (This is to my understanding, I could be wrong)

csjc

Postby csjc » 2010-01-20, 19:23

If I go to UBC next year I will definitely try to take a course in Musqueam Salish. :D
[flag]en-ca[/flag] [flag]he[/flag] [flag]is[/flag]
[flag]nl[/flag] [flag]fi[/flag] [flag]sv[/flag] [flag]fr[/flag] [flag]de[/flag] [flag]la[/flag]

Struthiomimus

Postby Struthiomimus » 2010-01-22, 23:39

Formiko wrote:Anyone who attempts ANY Salishan language and can create a simple spoken sentence deserves my utmost respect, and should definitely tell the tribal chief. He may carve you a plaque

Like...Struthiomimus ti dsdaʔ. gʷat kʷ(i) adsdaʔ Do I get a cookie now :P

csjc wrote:If I go to UBC next year I will definitely try to take a course in Musqueam Salish

That would be awesome if you did; then you could make some mini-lessons for this thread :partyhat:

I was listening to some of the lessons on kanutv earlier this week. Lushootseed sounds so pretty, but I'm not a fan of using IPA...I guess it makes practical sense, but it scares my eyes :doggy:

Anyway, ɫušudubicid čəd ʔal kʷi ƛ̕əllaʔ :wink:
[flag=]wbp[/flag] [flag=]qu[/flag] [flag=]eo[/flag] [flag=]wo[/flag] [flag=]rom[/flag] [flag=]csb[/flag] [flag=]lkt[/flag]

"Beshav me akana kai le chirikle chi gilaban." kaj, "Beidh ceol, caint agus craic againn."

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2010-01-23, 0:24

Struthiomimus wrote:I was listening to some of the lessons on kanutv earlier this week.

Just noticed the videos on your link and my link are the same . . . Oops

Struthiomimus

Postby Struthiomimus » 2010-10-21, 21:42

księżycowy wrote:I know is thread has gone necro, but still figured I'd post a link to some Halkomelem lessons here.

Hey, Hey now. Not necro; the thread was just hibernating 8-) But thanks for giving it some life :wink:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2010-10-21, 22:39

Struthiomimus wrote:Hey, Hey now. Not necro; the thread was just hibernating 8-) But thanks for giving it some life :wink:

Ok, maybe not necro, but it sure is sleeping! And I've been a busy little beaver around the forum! Happy to help out!

lacustrine

Postby lacustrine » 2010-10-24, 15:36

Hi all, I'd like to contribute some links too. As you probably know, the actual names of Salish languages may vary but I've listed these links according to how the language/dialect is termed on the page itself. "Puget Salish" might another term for Lushootseed for example, I think.

Interior Salish: http://www.interiorsalish.com/
Klallam: http://www.lingtechcomm.unt.edu/~montler/Klallam/
Okanagan : http://www.okanaganfirstpeoples.ca/lessons.cfm
Coeur D'Alene: http://ivydoak.com/Coeurd%27Alene/grammar/crgrammar.htm
Puget Salish: http://www.pugetsalish.com/homepage.aspx
Spokane: http://spokanelanguage.com/
Last edited by lacustrine on 2010-10-24, 16:23, edited 1 time in total.

lacustrine

Postby lacustrine » 2010-10-24, 15:37

księżycowy wrote:Some Lushootseed textbooks for sale: here. Just email them for pricing and such.

have you tried these books out? Just wondering about the quality and depth of their material.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2010-10-24, 16:15

Thanks for the links. The one for Interior Salish looks like it has some good stuff for sale! :D
lacustrine wrote:have you tried these books out? Just wondering about the quality and depth of their material.

No I haven't tried them out. though i do plan on buying them eventually. They're by Hess, the same guy who did the Lushootseed Readers and I've seen the first reader and it's pretty good, thus I'm inclined to think the textbooks should be as well. Just hope they come with audio!

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2010-10-25, 17:59

Heard back for the people at lushootseed.org about their textbooks, and they do indeed come with audio. The books are currently $20 each and the audio is $10 each, thus $60 for the whole set.

Hope to get them soon.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2010-12-09, 20:37

Just got my Lushootseed textbooks and I must say I̓m very impressed! I'd highly recommend them!
I listened to the sentence:
Łułałlil čəł ʔi tsiʔił słałədəyʔ ʔal tudiʔ
And I was hooked! (Try to say that five times fast! :twisted:)
Now I have to resist the urge to start learning it for now. Must resist . . . . must resist . . .

lacustrine

Postby lacustrine » 2011-01-01, 0:20

księżycowy wrote:Just got my Lushootseed textbooks and I must say I̓m very impressed! I'd highly recommend them!

That's great! I would consider them too but I would want to know some more about them first. Do you think you will eventually have time to do a full review? I'm interested in knowing if they're more focused on conversation to the exclusion of grammar. Or do they cover both pretty well? What do you think?

Formiko

Postby Formiko » 2011-01-01, 6:52

księżycowy wrote:Just got my Lushootseed textbooks and I must say I̓m very impressed! I'd highly recommend them!
I listened to the sentence:
Łułałlil čəł ʔi tsiʔił słałədəyʔ ʔal tudiʔ
And I was hooked! (Try to say that five times fast! :twisted:)
Now I have to resist the urge to start learning it for now. Must resist . . . . must resist . . .

Salishan languages always scared the stuffing out of me. How are you getting along?
In no particular order
[flag]eo[/flag][flag]de[/flag][flag]es[/flag][flag]yo[/flag][flag]chr[/flag][flag]ru[/flag]

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2011-01-01, 10:38

lacustrine wrote:That's great! I would consider them too but I would want to know some more about them first. Do you think you will eventually have time to do a full review? I'm interested in knowing if they're more focused on conversation to the exclusion of grammar. Or do they cover both pretty well? What do you think?

Formiko wrote:Salishan languages always scared the stuffing out of me. How are you getting along?

Well I haven't actually started learning Lushootseed from them yet [as I've been trying to focus on Mohawk and Arapaho for the time being], but I think my review will still be valuable.

To give you an idea of how most of the 'dialogues' work in the first book, here's the one from the first lesson:
1. Stab əẃə tiʔił. What is that?
Spaʔc tiʔił. That is a bear.

2. Stab əẃə tiʔił. What is that?
Sqigʷəc tiʔił. That is a deer.

3. Stab əẃə tiʔił. What is that?
Sʔuladxʷ tiʔił. That is a salmon.

4. Stab əẃə tiʔił. What is that?
Bəščəb tiʔił. That is a mink.

[Got to love those glottal stops! :wink:] And most of the dialogues follow this pattern. So it's not the most conversational, but is does do a great job in explaining the grammar of the language in my opinion. It explains the differences between the Northern and Southern dialects (when there are differences), and gives new vocabulary for each lesson [except the first lesson :?]. And you really don't get into verb conjugation until a bit of the ways into the first book, so they take the grammar aspects slowly and leave the harder stuff for later. Oh and the cds are very good. The audio is very clear and they talk at a normal conversational speed (for the most part). They repeat every sentence twice as well.

So to answer your question lacustrine, it seems to me that the main focus is on the grammar rather than on conversation. The second book starts giving you readings instead of 'dialogues,' so that should give you an idea. Of course you can use what you've learned in conversation, but you won't learn a lot of conversational phrases (if any really).

[There are videos online that you can supplement with the text to pick up some conversational language, which is what I plan on doing.]

Hope that helps! :)

Struthiomimus

Postby Struthiomimus » 2011-02-22, 2:21

I just came across this article on Lushootseed and thought of sharing it. It's not the most recent, but it''s still cool, I think:

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/201008 ... 3/-1/RSS02

Formiko

Postby Formiko » 2011-02-22, 6:49

Struthiomimus wrote:I just came across this article on Lushootseed and thought of sharing it. It's not the most recent, but it''s still cool, I think:

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/201008 ... 3/-1/RSS02

bonega artikolo! Dankon.
In no particular order

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2011-02-22, 11:39

Awesomeness! Thanks Struth!

Massimiliano B

Postby Massimiliano B » 2011-11-28, 0:28

This is an interesting YouTube channel for Lushootseed.

Return to “North American Indigenous Languages”