TAC 2010 Māori

Moderators:aaakknu, atalarikt

Yserenhart
TAC 2010 Māori

Postby Yserenhart » 2009-12-26, 7:06

Seeing as there are a few of us doing Māori for the TAC, and seeing as this forum is rather on the dead side, I figure it can't hurt to have a thread for us to discuss Māori as related to TAC. This gives a place to chat with each other, practice our reading/writing, swap resources, help each other, and so on.

I'll start off by listing a few of the resources I'm using currently:
Korero Mai
Maori: A Linguistic Introduction
First lessons in Maori
Kōrero Māori

Kia ora
Last edited by kibo on 2009-12-27, 13:37, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed a link for a copyrighted material
Native: Derbyshire English (en-GB)/New Zealand English (en-NZ) Learning: Vlaams (nl-BE)

Yserenhart

Re: TAC 2010 Māori

Postby Yserenhart » 2009-12-26, 8:29

On a different note to start off, a mihimihi.

Tēnā koutou, tēnā koutou, tēnā koutou katoa.

Ko Tangi Te Keo te maunga
Ko Te Awakairangi te awa
Ko Te Whanau Tahi te marae
Ko Wyse taku hapū
He Pakeha ahau, I wehe oko tupuna I waihongia England
Ko Jean raua Joe oku tupuna ki te taha o toku whaea
Ko Elizabeth raua Hugh oku tupuna ki te taha toku matua
Ko Rose toku whaea
Ko Phil toku matua
Ko Chris raua Adrian toku tungane
Ko Rob ahau
Te Whanga-nui-a-Tara toku turangawaewae
Kei Awakairangi kainga inaianei

No reira, tēnā koutou, tēnā koutou, tēnā koutou katoa.
Native: Derbyshire English (en-GB)/New Zealand English (en-NZ) Learning: Vlaams (nl-BE)

hashi

Postby hashi » 2009-12-26, 8:39

Taydr wrote:Seeing as there are a few of us doing Māori for the TAC, and seeing as this forum is rather on the dead side, I figure it can't hurt to have a thread for us to discuss Māori as related to TAC. This gives a place to chat with each other, practice our reading/writing, swap resources, help each other, and so on.

I'll start off by listing a few of the resources I'm using currently:
Korero Mai
Maori: A Linguistic Introduction
First lessons in Maori
Kōrero Māori

Kia ora

A side note: you have to be from New Zealand to be able to watch Kōrero Mai. I've managed to download a few episodes, using... uhmm.. methods :whistle: but it's a good show. Sadly I don't have the willpower to get up early enough in the mornings to watch it on TV :|

I'm using some of those sites above, but also using this site here alot:
He kupu o te rā
It has a nice word of the day feature which has already taught me a few words :P

Taydr wrote:On a different note to start off, a mihimihi.

Tēnā koutou, tēnā koutou, tēnā koutou katoa.

Ko Tangi Te Keo te maunga
Ko Te Awakairangi te awa
Ko Te Whanau Tahi te marae
Ko Wyse taku hapū
He Pakeha ahau, I wehe oko tupuna I waihongia England
Ko Jean raua Joe oku tupuna ki te taha o toku whaea
Ko Elizabeth raua Hugh oku tupuna ki te taha toku matua
Ko Rose toku whaea
Ko Phil toku matua
Ko Chris raua Adrian toku tungane
Ko Rob ahau
Te Whanga-nui-a-Tara toku turangawaewae
Kei Awakairangi kainga inaianei

No reira, tēnā koutou, tēnā koutou, tēnā koutou katoa.

Ka pai :P Further than me already :P
I started the person after me thread (te tangata i muri ki au), so hopefully someone will check it and we can practice our te reo there as well. I'm not going to start serious study until the new year though :)
Last edited by kibo on 2009-12-27, 13:38, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed a link for a copyrighted material
(en-nz)(ja)(sv)(it)(mi)(et)

Sono ancora qui (a volte), ma probabilmente non ti voglio parlare.

Yserenhart

Postby Yserenhart » 2009-12-26, 8:50

hashi wrote:A side note: you have to be from New Zealand to be able to watch Kōrero Mai. I've managed to download a few episodes, using... uhmm.. methods :whistle: but it's a good show. Sadly I don't have the willpower to get up early enough in the mornings to watch it on TV :|

That's a bummer, maybe some can be found on youtube or something for the non-kiwis. As for watching in the morning, I would be up at that time, but so will my brothers. Easier just to watch online. :)
I'm using some of those sites above, but also using this site here alot:
He kupu o te rā
It has a nice word of the day feature which has already taught me a few words :P

Looks good, I'll sign up for the word a day feature in the morning. I'll also add a dictionary to the resources Māori Dictionary Online.
Ka pai :P Further than me already :P
I started the person after me thread (te tangata i muri ki au), so hopefully someone will check it and we can practice our te reo there as well. I'm not going to start serious study until the new year though :)

Just copying a pretty standard formula and filling in the blanks :P. I shall look at the te tangata i muri ki au thread, and see if I can't contribute in a way that makes sense :lol:. I too am not going to seriously start Māori until the 1st, I just figured a thread would be useful, and an introduction a good way to start it off. Might as well learn the culture as well as the language after all. :)

hashi

Postby hashi » 2009-12-26, 8:57

I think theres maybe two or three kōrero mai on youtube last time I checked :(

Taydr wrote:Looks good, I'll sign up for the word a day feature in the morning. I'll also add a dictionary to the resources Māori Dictionary Online.

This dictionary is a nice idea, but it's terrible in my opinion. It's near impossible to search for things. You search for say "to do" and you get thousands of completely irrelevant results only containing "to". I have a link to another dictionary which isn't great either, but its somewhat better. Although it doesn't give as many examples as maoridictionary.co.nz, it is much easier to find what you are looking for.
Ngata dictionary

Yserenhart

Postby Yserenhart » 2009-12-26, 9:11

hashi wrote:I think theres maybe two or three kōrero mai on youtube last time I checked :(

Better than nothing. Maybe we can change that if someone wants more episodes.
This dictionary is a nice idea, but it's terrible in my opinion. It's near impossible to search for things. You search for say "to do" and you get thousands of completely irrelevant results only containing "to". I have a link to another dictionary which isn't great either, but its somewhat better. Although it doesn't give as many examples as maoridictionary.co.nz, it is much easier to find what you are looking for.
Ngata dictionary

It's a major flaw in all online dictionaries really. I'm going book shopping next week sometime, so I'll see if I can get a decent printed dictionary. If not, well a bad search is better than nothing. Also, that First lessons PDF I linked to in the first post has an English to Māori dictionary at the back, which may be more helpful.

hashi

Postby hashi » 2009-12-26, 9:17

Taydr wrote:It's a major flaw in all online dictionaries really. I'm going book shopping next week sometime, so I'll see if I can get a decent printed dictionary. If not, well a bad search is better than nothing. Also, that First lessons PDF I linked to in the first post has an English to Māori dictionary at the back, which may be more helpful.

Oo. Do let me know if you get anything particularly useful (and cheap :P). Maybe I should go visit Whitcoulls while all these sales are on and see what they have.

I can always upload some Kōrero Mai (internet usage depending) to youtube for anyone who wants it.

Yserenhart

Postby Yserenhart » 2009-12-26, 9:23

hashi wrote:Oo. Do let me know if you get anything particularly useful (and cheap :P). Maybe I should go visit Whitcoulls while all these sales are on and see what they have.

I can always upload some Kōrero Mai (internet usage depending) to youtube for anyone who wants it.

The real question is how likely is Whitcoulls to have sales on language books. Although after the last time I popped in, I'd be amazed to find much at all. Should I get something, I'm sure there's a way it could appear as a PDF for the use of everyone, particularly our non-kiwi comrades, whom I doubt have much in the way of Māori books in the local bookshops.

hashi

Postby hashi » 2009-12-26, 9:28

Taydr wrote:
hashi wrote:Oo. Do let me know if you get anything particularly useful (and cheap :P). Maybe I should go visit Whitcoulls while all these sales are on and see what they have.

The real question is how likely is Whitcoulls to have sales on language books. Although after the last time I popped in, I'd be amazed to find much at all. Should I get something, I'm sure there's a way it could appear as a PDF for the use of everyone, particularly our non-kiwi comrades, whom I doubt have much in the way of Māori books in the local bookshops.

Hmm. I went into Dymocks today actually to see a friend of mine who worked there and they had everything on sale, but you're right, they had very little left :P Bring on the new years sales! Hmm if you had a scanner I'm sure it could appear as a PDF haha. :wink:

Yserenhart

Postby Yserenhart » 2009-12-26, 9:36

hashi wrote:Hmm. I went into Dymocks today actually to see a friend of mine who worked there and they had everything on sale, but you're right, they had very little left :P Bring on the new years sales! Hmm if you had a scanner I'm sure it could appear as a PDF haha. :wink:

Aye, sales are always great. Especially when one is looking for language books, which have a tendency to be on the more costly side.

I think perhaps if we substitute "could" for "will" we get the right idea. :wink:

Æxylis

Postby Æxylis » 2010-12-17, 14:05

I was thinking about doing this as one of my langs for the 2011 TAC, after robbye got me into it and all... it's one of the few languages I haven't wanted to change since I started studying it, so there's some hope for it yet... :roll: :wink:
Если хочешь говорить со мной по скайпу, мой скайп нейм - jaakuuta
If you want to speak with me on Skype, my Skype name is jaakuuta

hashi

Postby hashi » 2010-12-19, 8:45

邪悪歌 wrote:I was thinking about doing this as one of my langs for the 2011 TAC, after robbye got me into it and all... it's one of the few languages I haven't wanted to change since I started studying it, so there's some hope for it yet... :roll: :wink:

Ka pai e hoa :)

ILuvEire

Postby ILuvEire » 2010-12-27, 9:33

If you get tired of /t/ or /r/ you should come learn Hawai‘ian. :D
[flag]de[/flag] [flag]da[/flag] [flag]fr-qc[/flag] [flag]haw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]
Current focus: [flag]ga[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag]
Facebook | tumblr | Twitter
“We need to make books cool again. If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them.” —John Waters

Ariki

Postby Ariki » 2011-01-02, 11:18

Tēnā tātou,

You are right in that Whitcoulls really don't do language book sales however you'd be surprised what books you do find on sale. I got the ultra rare He Whiriwhiringa - Selected Readings in Māori at the Queen St Whitcoulls book store.

I recommend that you give up verbs like be, have, do and get because you will never get specific results. I recommend that you focus purely on the particles that are used to construct sentences in Māori. When you feel really comfortable with those particles hopefully things will click. Alternately, you could try private messaging me/writing here in the forums and I can help correct.
Linguicide IS genocide. :)

He ingoa ōpaki a Riki; he ingoa ōkawa a Ariki.

Riki is an informal name; Ariki is a formal name.

Return to “Australian, Austronesian and Papuan Languages”