Danish English dictionaries

Moderator: Mulder-21

mssccb84

Danish English dictionaries

Postby mssccb84 » 2009-09-24, 2:45

I've been learning Danish for a few weeks now and I'm making some good progress. I've started using the Byki program for Danish and it's working very well. However, the only problem I have with it is that it doesn't give the plural for the nouns or any information for verbs with irregular forms. Can anyone recommend any dictionaries (online preferably) that give any of this information? Thanks!

Marcellus

Re: Danish English dictionaries

Postby Marcellus » 2009-09-24, 6:01

Unfortunately, based on my own personal experience, I have come to the conclusion that truly good Danish-English dictionaries simply don't exist--at least from the perspective of the native English speaker. I've scarcely found anything at all online, and as far as print goes, this is about the only semi-decent thing I've been able to get my hands on, and even that's somewhat lacking. What's more, as the grammatical error on the cover shows, this book is very obviously a hastily repackaged version a dictionary intended for Danish learners of English, the end effect of which is that the pronunciation is provided for all of the English words, but none of the Danish words. For a product that (at least in this form) markets itself to English learners of Danish, this just seems like a cruel joke.

SImon Gray

Postby SImon Gray » 2009-09-24, 7:36

When I have the same problem in French I just use http://translate.google.com/translate_t# to look up whatever conjugation I need. It works just fine for what you need to use it for.

HoneyBuzzard

Postby HoneyBuzzard » 2009-09-24, 21:25

If you know one form of a word, you can always try one of the Danish on-line dictionaries. They usually list past tense, plurals, etc. I quite like sproget.dk and ddoo.dk.

Jayan

Postby Jayan » 2009-09-25, 0:22

I've heard that www.ordbogen.com (mindst, jeg tror det er .com og ikke .dk) is good. I haven't tried it and it isn't free, but it's regularly updated. *Jayan runs off to sign up for it*
[flag]zh[/flag] [flag]th[/flag] [flag]da[/flag] | [flag]id[/flag] [flag]is[/flag] [flag]eu[/flag] | [flag]es[/flag] [flag]de[/flag] [flag]la[/flag]

Return to “Danish (Dansk)”