Nawat / Pipil

Mizton
Nawat / Pipil

Postby Mizton » 2009-02-18, 1:57

Hello

Have you heard of Nawat or Pipil? It's a language spoken in El Salvador and very few places in Mexico. It comes from the Aztec Empire's Classical Nahuatl, just like Mexico's modern Nahuatl. With a bit of knowledge, Nawat is more or less intelligible if you speak Nahuatl.
If you wanna take a look, here's a link to a facebook community who wants to save that language http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=33974937500 (in Spanish)

And here's info from wikipedia about this language: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pipil_language
Si la vida te da la espalda, agárrale las nalgas.

aychico546

Re: Nawat / Pipil

Postby aychico546 » 2009-05-13, 21:41

After learning a bit about the indigenous salvadorean culture, I become interested in learning the endangered language of the Pipils. Náhuat, as it's known in El Salvador, is only spoken by a few hundred, perhaps only dozens of people in the Western part of the country and nearly no where else. Much effort is being made in trying to revive the language by teaching it as a second language in the schools of the area. I'm very excited to see even more of an effort being made, especially by those outside the country. Me da mucho orgullo mis raices indigenas. :D

Thanks for posting this, Mizton. By the way, your Náhuatl Course is very helpful. ;)
"Por mi raza hablará el espíritu" - José Vasconcelos

Mizton

Postby Mizton » 2009-05-13, 21:52

Gracias aychico, justamente acabo de reorganizar y editar todo el curso, espero que esté aún mejor ahora. Y esperemos que el Pipil también siga viviendo :D

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2009-05-14, 4:57

This is weird, I would have sworn I made a post in this thread months ago. :hmm:

aychico546 wrote:After learning a bit about the indigenous salvadorean culture, I become interested in learning the endangered language of the Pipils. Náhuat, as it's known in El Salvador, is only spoken by a few hundred, perhaps only dozens of people in the Western part of the country and nearly no where else.

Hundreds? No way! Just maybe a group of old people in their 60+. And there's a good probability there are no speakers anymore.
Much effort is being made in trying to revive the language by teaching it as a second language in the schools of the area.

I remember hearing about an active organization from 2004 to 2006... Overall, the government doesn't care much about keeping the language alive, and summing the already bad status of any kind of Native American proud, the prospects aren't exactly positive. :(
Me da mucho orgullo mis raices indigenas. :D

Me too, but this is doubtingly in our hands.

aychico546

Postby aychico546 » 2009-05-14, 18:45

I just recently met a family who hails from Santo Domingo de Guzman in Sonsonate, and they seemed unaffected by the endangerment of the language/culture. My family is from San Miguel, which is pretty much on the other side of the country and the Pipil culture is nearly invisible. Then again, you can't blame individuals for not being interested in their culture, but more the goverment(atleast in El Salvador) for the years of persecution that eventually created this vast disinterest.

aychico546

Postby aychico546 » 2010-03-19, 18:02

The thread seemed to be pretty dead, so I wanted to come on here and make a quick announcement that facebook has a great online lessons for Pipil Nawat. Here is the link for all those interested! ;)

http://www.facebook.com/timumachtikan?ref=nf

Mizton

Postby Mizton » 2010-03-19, 18:27

Wow, very nice news, thanks aychico! :)

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2010-03-20, 0:11

aychico546 wrote:I just recently met a family who hails from Santo Domingo de Guzman in Sonsonate, and they seemed unaffected by the endangerment of the language/culture.
Really? That's so nice to hear. I'll definitely go around those parts next time I'm in El Salvador.
My family is from San Miguel, which is pretty much on the other side of the country and the Pipil culture is nearly invisible.
Well, that's because there was never any Pipil culture there to begin with. :P The Lencas are the one who used to live there. (The Lempa River was the primary division between their land and that of the Señorío de Cuzcatlán.)
Then again, you can't blame individuals for not being interested in their culture, but more the goverment(atleast in El Salvador) for the years of persecution that eventually created this vast disinterest.
Well, discrimination against the ancient culture has been traditionally very high for a long time, typical of conquered territories, the governments just made it worse...
aychico546 wrote:The thread seemed to be pretty dead, so I wanted to come on here and make a quick announcement that facebook has a great online lessons for Pipil Nawat. Here is the link for all those interested! ;)

http://www.facebook.com/timumachtikan?ref=nf
Too bad the contents have not been made public. Well, I already requested to join the group (wow... it's not even automatic, but they have to accept you...), and also sent them a message. Hopefully they'll respond soon. :)

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2010-03-24, 4:41

"¡Qué chivo!", ya me agregaron al grupo ahora. :)

Ahora déjenme que complete este grupo de lecciones y ejercicios y luego les cuento...

EDIT: Maybe you'd like to have a look at this site:
http://www.compapp.dcu.ie/~mward/irin/index.htm

It was developed by the one who also organizes the Facebook group.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2010-10-20, 14:01

Another link with Nawat lessons here. Not sure how it stacks up with the other links. This one's in English, though there is a version in Spanish as well.

Return to “Central and South American Indigenous Languages”