Esperanto: ILE

ILuvEire
Esperanto: ILE

Postby ILuvEire » 2008-10-27, 6:25

Saluton!

Well, as I'm sure you know, I speak some Volapük. I have been following the discussion of Esperanto as a Lingua Franca. There are some good points there. So I looked into Esperanto. The grammar is surprising. So, I'm taking up a passive study.

As of now: mi estas nova ankaŭ!

I'm using the Kurso de Esperanto, with Lernu.net.
Last edited by ILuvEire on 2008-10-28, 10:04, edited 1 time in total.
[flag]de[/flag] [flag]da[/flag] [flag]fr-qc[/flag] [flag]haw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]
Current focus: [flag]ga[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag]
Facebook | tumblr | Twitter
“We need to make books cool again. If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them.” —John Waters

Mutusen

Re: Esperanto: ILE

Postby Mutusen » 2008-10-27, 9:35

I’m surprised: after reading your posts, I thought you disliked Esperanto. Welcome!

Mi miras: leginte viajn mesaĝojn, mi pensis, ke vi malŝatas Esperanton. Bonvenon!

linguaholic

Postby linguaholic » 2008-10-27, 14:09

Malŝati Esperanton ne estas kaŭzo por ne lerni ĝin. :P

@ILuvEire: Have fun, it's not that bad. ;)
native: Deutsch / advanced: English, Nederlands / intermediate: Esperanto / forgotten: Français / fighting my way through: עברית מקראית / dreaming of: Čeština, עברית / admiring from a safe distance: فارسی

Narbleh

Postby Narbleh » 2008-10-27, 16:08

Welcome, ILE. Esperantists and Volapükists are supposed to commingle anyway; it's the natural way of things :D What I would find fascinating, and which you could provide (!), are side-by-side translations between Volapuk and Esperanto. Maybe if you ever write up any exercises for practice? ;)

Ne permesu al la latine aspektanta vortprovizo vin malkuraĝiĝi :) Mi esperas, ke vi ĝuos vian sperton kun Eo :)
[flag=]en-us[/flag][flag=]fr[/flag][flag=]eo[/flag][flag=]nl[/flag]Image

ILuvEire

Postby ILuvEire » 2008-10-28, 10:06

linguaholic wrote:Malŝati Esperanton ne estas kaŭzo por ne lerni ĝin. :P

@ILuvEire: Have fun, it's not that bad. ;)

"Not liking Esperanto isn't a reason for not learning it"

Is that what you wrote?
Ĉu estas vi skribis?
[flag]de[/flag] [flag]da[/flag] [flag]fr-qc[/flag] [flag]haw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]
“We need to make books cool again. If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them.” —John Waters

linguaholic

Postby linguaholic » 2008-10-28, 11:24

Jes, mi ne scias ke ĝi estis korrekta, ĉar mi volis diri tion. :)

Yes, I don't know if it was correct, but that's what I wanted to say.

Ĉu estas vi skribis?

I think there's a relative pronoun missing, but I'm not sure which. "Ĉu ĝi estas kion vi skribis?" eble?
native: Deutsch / advanced: English, Nederlands / intermediate: Esperanto / forgotten: Français / fighting my way through: עברית מקראית / dreaming of: Čeština, עברית / admiring from a safe distance: فارسی

Mutusen

Postby Mutusen » 2008-10-28, 11:38

I’d say “Ĉu tion vi skribis?”, without relative pronoun.

ILuvEire

Postby ILuvEire » 2008-10-28, 11:47

I'm still working on correlatives. They are kinda odd to me.

Narblew, you were right! This grammar is very non-romlangy! Wow.

At it sounds a lot better than it looks. It looks ugly (especially in my handwriting) but sounds kind of...Slavic maybe?

Can I pronounce the "t" and "d" dental? Can I pronounce the "r" as [ɾ]? Well, except for at the beginning of words, where I'd pronounce it normally (/r/).

I notice some of the speakers on Lernu! use /ʎ/ pretty much randomly throughout the recordings. That's just a non-native accent, right?

Are "sc" and "kn" pronounced as [sts] and [kn] or some other way?

Narbleh

Postby Narbleh » 2008-10-28, 16:20

A longer way to say that would be "Ĉu estas tio, kion vi skribis?" These t-,k- pairs are pretty common among all the correlatives. The correlatives are one of the harder parts of grammar to get down because it's just rote memorization of -o/-u/-e, etc. but once you do have them down, they're very useful :)

Can I pronounce the "t" and "d" dental?

Sure, if you want. The point is to avoid aspirating them, so if doing them dentally works best for you, go for it :)

Can I pronounce the "r" as [ɾ]? Well, except for at the beginning of words, where I'd pronounce it normally (/r/).

Yeah, I actually do the same thing you're describing here.

I notice some of the speakers on Lernu! use /ʎ/ pretty much randomly throughout the recordings. That's just a non-native accent, right?

I remember not being too pleased with the recordings on lernu. You can definitely tell in some of them "oh this person's from Poland" or "oh this person's German." I wrote a little rant about that in the Esperanto Lingua Franca thread :)

Are "sc" and "kn" pronounced as [sts] and [kn] or some other way?

Nope, you got it right. "sc" is very often mispronounced as a long "s", but it should be as you wrote it.

And for the record, I did Ana Pana on lernu to get me going, then used Teach Yourself Esperanto since I'm not too big on web-based learning. It's one of the few TY books that I really like.
[flag=]en-us[/flag][flag=]fr[/flag][flag=]eo[/flag][flag=]nl[/flag]Image

ILuvEire

Postby ILuvEire » 2008-10-29, 0:18

Narbleh wrote:A longer way to say that would be "Ĉu estas tio, kion vi skribis?" These t-,k- pairs are pretty common among all the correlatives. The correlatives are one of the harder parts of grammar to get down because it's just rote memorization of -o/-u/-e, etc. but once you do have them down, they're very useful :)

Can I pronounce the "t" and "d" dental?

Sure, if you want. The point is to avoid aspirating them, so if doing them dentally works best for you, go for it :)

Okay. I have a lot of trouble pronouncing unaspirated d and t, unless they are dental.

Can I pronounce the "r" as [ɾ]? Well, except for at the beginning of words, where I'd pronounce it normally (/r/).

Yeah, I actually do the same thing you're describing here.

Awesome. :)

I remember not being too pleased with the recordings on lernu. You can definitely tell in some of them "oh this person's from Poland" or "oh this person's German." I wrote a little rant about that in the Esperanto Lingua Franca thread :)

Yeah, I agree with you. I guess I'll use the textual info, but not the stupid recordings.

And for the record, I did Ana Pana on lernu to get me going, then used Teach Yourself Esperanto since I'm not too big on web-based learning. It's one of the few TY books that I really like.

I'm not a big fan of web-learning, but that's just because I like to write notes in the margins of my books. Of course, Esperanto is surprisingly complicated and easy at the same time, so I've just been taking notes in a notebook.

ILuvEire

Postby ILuvEire » 2008-11-06, 23:32

I've been posting on the Lernu! forums, and on their messenger. I met two native Finnish speakers, and was very surprised. :)

Does anyone else post there?

Mutusen

Postby Mutusen » 2008-11-07, 9:10

Mi. Mia uzantonomo estas la sama ol ĉi tie. Mi fojfoje iras en la tujmesaĝilon.

I do. My username is the same as here. And I sometimes go in the instant messenger.

linguaholic

Postby linguaholic » 2008-11-07, 14:36

Forume mi nur legas, kaj mi fojfoje ankaux uzas la tujmesagxilon.

Return to “Esperanto”