please help me

Moderators:aaakknu, atalarikt

Mc Kenn
please help me

Postby Mc Kenn » 2008-06-27, 12:19

hi guys,

we are having a food presentation about international cuisine and we are representing hawaiian cuisine and Hawaiian culture. I hope you gus can translate for me some sentences.

I would like you guys to help me translate these

hello everyone! hello classmates and professors! I'm Mc Kenn and together with my group. we are going to open your eyes to a paradise on earth with yummy delicacies, astonishing beaches and beautiful people. so sit down and relax while you guys get a taste of sumptuous and exotic hawaiian dishes and Hawaii itself. let's hula and get the party started. Thank you

Kalani

Postby Kalani » 2008-06-28, 21:48

hello everyone! hello classmates and professors! I'm Mc Kenn and together with my group. we are going to open your eyes to a paradise on earth with yummy delicacies, astonishing beaches and beautiful people. so sit down and relax while you guys get a taste of sumptuous and exotic hawaiian dishes and Hawaii itself. let's hula and get the party started. Thank you

Aloha kākou! Aloha e nā hoa kula a me nā polopeka! ‘O Mc Kenn ko‘u inoa. E ho‘oka‘aka‘a ana au me ko‘u pū‘ulu i kā ‘oukou mau maka he palekaiko ma ka honua me nā ‘ai ‘ono, nā kahakai ha‘oha‘o, a me nā kānaka u‘i. No laila, e noho a luana ‘oukou ‘oiai e ho‘opā i ka ‘ai ana ‘oukou i nā ‘aina Hawai‘i a me Hawai‘i ‘oia nō. E hula a pā‘ina kākou. Mahalo.

There is no word for "delicacy," so I used ‘ai ‘ono "tasty food" instead. I left out "sumptuous" and "exotic" and replaced "dishes" with "meals".

Ariki

Postby Ariki » 2008-07-07, 10:15

Aroha ta mau 'outou,

This does not look right to me. I'm not talking about the ts or r either. "ta mau 'outou" does not make sense to me and I'm not basing that on what I know of Hawaiian. I'm basing it on all the Polynesian languages I know.

Why do you think what you wrote is acceptable?

O a'u MC Ken a me to'u hui tatou e vehe tou mau mata i he paretaito ma ta honua ao me 'ono 'ai, ha'oha'o tahatai, a me 'ui mau tanata.

The above reads like this for me -

I Mc Kenn and with my gathering you and us are going to seperate your eyes to a paradise on earth world with delicious food, beaches beautiful and people squeals.

That's what it read like to me. To me that sounds really broken. Also I expected a second 'o in the first line - 'O au 'o Mc Kenn. The way you've written it it just feels wrong. It would be greatly appreciated if you could elucidate why you would write what you have written.

No raira noho raro a me ruana

Sorry I expected a i after noho because if someone is going to use raro you need a locative particle to go before it and this applies to all the Polynesian languages I know (including Tahitian). I also found it slightly queer to use me in conjunction with a when the word following is not a noun nor is it a verb that is going to take place at the same time of the action of sitting down being initiated.

'oiai 'outou ti'i he ho'ao o 'ono a me 'ano'e mau pa a me Havai'i pono'i. Ho'otu'u hura a me ti'i ta pa'ina ua ho'omata.

I'm sorry I'm completely lost by this.
Linguicide IS genocide. :)

He ingoa ōpaki a Riki; he ingoa ōkawa a Ariki.

Riki is an informal name; Ariki is a formal name.

Ariki

Postby Ariki » 2008-07-08, 9:17

No, you are wrong. I translated this word for word into Hawaiian.

Ah no wonder why it sounded even more incomprehensible towards the end. Literal word for word translations between any two languages never work. The result at best will sound broken, at its worst, gibberish.

Kalani

Postby Kalani » 2008-07-11, 4:23

I can already see where I could better my "translation". :oops:

Nero

Postby Nero » 2008-07-11, 13:35

riki wrote:

Ah no wonder why it sounded even more incomprehensible towards the end. Literal word for word translations between any two languages never work. The result at best will sound broken, at its worst, gibberish.

This is true. temaitaiarii PMed me a little while ago, saying things like "au matemate" instead of "makemake au" etc. The way he forms hawaiian isn't even Hawaiian - it's just English with code words.

Ariki

Postby Ariki » 2008-07-14, 10:41

Aloha Kalani,

Please feel free to update your translation if you'd like. If you'd like to perhaps you could show us where you felt that you may have erred. This is the place where people can feel supported.

Mehemea e makemake 'oe e hana hou i kau huli 'ana, 'e hana. E hō'ike mai paha 'oe i na wāhi i hapa ai kau huli 'ana. 'O kēia ka wāhi e loa'a ai i ke kanaka e kōkua 'ia ana 'oia.

He haumana ho'i au o ka 'ōlelo Hawai'i.

I'm a student of Hawaiian as well.

This is true. temaitaiarii PMed me a little while ago, saying things like "au matemate" instead of "makemake au" etc. The way he forms hawaiian isn't even Hawaiian - it's just English with code words.

Exactly. It is excellent that you spotted that simple error that not even a first year student of Hawaiian would make.

'Oia'i'o Hawaiian

Postby 'Oia'i'o Hawaiian » 2008-07-18, 11:21

riki wrote:

That is your opinion. You are entitled to one, but it doesn't mean that it is correct. The Ni'ihauan language has been untouched over the past 200 years while the "Hawaiian" of the others has deteriorated. It's possible that temaitaiarii's Hawaiian represents what Hawaiian should be and that the Hawaiian you've been exposed to is a corruption. No one would know the difference except for a Ni'ihauan speaker and so far the only one here is temaitaiarii and Boki. I'd take their expertise over yours any day of the week.

Nero

Postby Nero » 2008-07-18, 15:02

I am guessing that this new account, 'Oia'i'o Hawaiian is really temaitaiarii' / Boki / etc under a different name. Same opinion, same place, same interests, etc...

But even if they aren't, the discussion of the Ni'ihauan language is off-topic in the (Standard) Hawaiian forum - which means it can be removed, with permission from the admins, I believe.

Nero

Postby Nero » 2008-07-18, 15:15

'Oia'i'o Hawaii wrote:No one would know the difference except for a Ni'ihauan speaker and so far the only one here is temaitaiarii and Boki. I'd take their expertise over yours any day of the week.

Temaitaiarii's 'true hawaiian' is word-for-word translations of English sentences. No other polynesian language - actually, no other language in the whole world - uses the exact same word order and idioms as English 100% of the time. So either the Niihauan language has done something completely impossible, or temaitaiarii is just looking up words and stringing them together with no grammar.

Ariki

Postby Ariki » 2008-07-20, 22:32

Temaitaiarii's 'true hawaiian' is word-for-word translations of English sentences. No other polynesian language - actually, no other language in the whole world - uses the exact same word order and idioms as English 100% of the time. So either the Niihauan language has done something completely impossible, or temaitaiarii is just looking up words and stringing them together with no grammar.

I support what Nero says. Nero has had extensive training in analysing syntax (grammar) and he is right that no other language in the whole world uses the same word order and idiom as English.

Return to “Australian, Austronesian and Papuan Languages”