daily articles

Moderator:Mulder-21

kman1
daily articles

Postby kman1 » 2008-07-10, 7:51

Hello all, I have been studying Danish for a while and I’m trying to test out and improve my knowledge base. I have done this by translating newspaper articles. As you can see, there are a lot of things that I’m not sure on so can you let me know what’s correct and incorrect with my sentences/translations. Please indicate where I went wrong in my analyzing the sentences and grammar. For example, if I mess up a grammar pattern, please let me know this and then indicate the correct way. Thank you very much.

My goal for studying is to be able to talk to people on the street and to my friends. Please feel free to list any places where I can find and translate very colloquial Danish articles, essays, etc.

I break up the articles so there's not a lot of text in one post. I'll post other articles after we finish with each one.

Unge truet med henrettelse
“Youth threatened with execution”

Unge – youth , truet – threatened , med – with , henrettelse – execution

28-årig erkender at have truet to 16-årige, men nægter at have foretaget en skinhenrettelse af den ene.
“28 __ recognized to have threatened two 16 ___, but ___ to have ___ an ___ by the one. ”

årig - ? , erkender – recognized , at – to , have – garden , to – two , årige - ? , men – but , nægter - ? , foretaget , en – an , skinhenrettelse ? , af – by , den – the , ene - one

"laid on __: May 27, 2008 1447"
Lagt på nettet: 27. Maj 2008 14:47
lagt – laid , på – on, nettet - ? , Maj – May

@NormalParagraphStyle:
Af Steen Østbjerg

ROSKILDE: - Jeg var skidebange…
Sådan beskrev en nu 17-årig mand i går i retten i Roskilde sit livs mareridt, da han i december sidste år blev udsat for en skinhenrettelse.
”I was ___...
Such described a now 17 __ (yrs old ?) husband in ‘går i retten i Roskilde’ his ___ nightmare, then he, in December of last year, became adjourned first an ____. ”

Jeg – I , var – was , skidebange - ? , Sådan – such , beskrev – described , nu – now, mand – husband , i – inside/in , går – to go , retten – dish , sit – his/hers , livs - ? , mareridt – nightmare , da – then, han – he, sidste – latter, år – year, blev – became, udsat – adjourned, for – first, skinhenrettelse - ?

:)

SImon Gray

Re: daily articles

Postby SImon Gray » 2008-07-10, 15:37

kman1 wrote:Unge truet med henrettelse
“Youth threatened with execution” (correct)

Unge – youth , truet – threatened , med – with , henrettelse – execution

28-årig erkender at have truet to 16-årige, men nægter at have foretaget en skinhenrettelse af den ene.
“28-year old admits to have threatened two 16-year olds, but denies to have made a fake execution of one of them.”

årig - year old , erkender – recognizes/admits , at – to , have – have , to – two , årige - year olds , men – but , nægter - denies , foretaget - made/undertake , en – an , skinhenrettelse - fake execution (henrettelse = execution, when you ad skin- to a word in Danish it usually means fake) , af – by/of , den – the , ene - one

"[s]laid[/s]Put on the Internet: May 27, 2008 1447"
Lagt på nettet: 27. Maj 2008 14:47
lagt – laid , på – on, nettet - the net , Maj – May

@NormalParagraphStyle:(the Internet)(the Internet)
Af Steen Østbjerg

ROSKILDE: - Jeg var skidebange…
Sådan beskrev en nu 17-årig mand i går i retten i Roskilde sit livs mareridt, da han i december sidste år blev udsat for en skinhenrettelse.
”I was shit scared...
Such described a now 17 years old man yesterday in the court of Roskilde his life's worst nightmare (livs mareridt = litt. life's nightmare, it's implied that it's the worst one) [s]means, then he,[/s] when he in December of last year, [s]became adjourned[/s] was victim of a fake exeuction. ”

Jeg – I , var – was , skidebange - shit scared , Sådan – such , beskrev – described , nu – now, mand – [s]husband[/s] man , i – inside/in , går – to go , retten – the court (also means 'the dish') , sit – his/hers , livs - life's , mareridt – nightmare , da – then/when , han – he, sidste – latter/last, år – year, blev – became/was, udsat – [s]adjourned[/s] subjected, for – [s]first[/s] to, skinhenrettelse - fake execution?

:)

I completely messed up the colours and forgot that you can cross over things, but hopefully you will get it anyway.

kman1

Postby kman1 » 2008-07-11, 6:54

af den ene – how does this mean ‘of one of them’ ? I’m confused.

skidebange – is this slang and/or a compound word?

retten i Roskilde – so ‘i’ means ‘of’ here?

livs mareridt – what grammar function is happening here? (I ask this because if ‘worst’ is omitted here it may be omitted in other phrases similar to this? Maybe there’s a grammar rule about this in Danish??)

i december sidste år – is ‘of’ omitted most of the time in Danish?

thanks for the corrections :)

SImon Gray

Postby SImon Gray » 2008-07-11, 9:17

kman1 wrote:af den ene – how does this mean ‘of one of them’ ? I’m confused.

"Den ene" in Danish means "the one" implying that there are several of them. That's just how our language works, I can't really explain it. It makes sense to me :)

skidebange – is this slang and/or a compound word?

Both.

retten i Roskilde – so ‘i’ means ‘of’ here?

I just thought "of" sounded better in English. I guess in you can also say "the court in Roskilde". You can never say "af Roskilde" in Danish, though!

livs mareridt – what grammar function is happening here? (I ask this because if ‘worst’ is omitted here it may be omitted in other phrases similar to this? Maybe there’s a grammar rule about this in Danish??)

It's just an idiom. Nothing is actually omitted in Danish, but to an English reader that's precisely what's happened.

i december sidste år – is ‘of’ omitted most of the time in Danish?

Well, it's not as simple as saying that. We just build our sentences differently. The word "af" is never used for any purpose of describing time in Danish.

thanks for the corrections :)

No problem! :)

Return to “Danish (Dansk)”