Armenian (Հայերեն)

Any language which does not have a specific forum can have a thread made for it here.
kuneli

Postby kuneli » 2007-12-14, 22:38

eskandar wrote:Shat lav! Shat mersi, kheyli mamnun, merci beaucoup, etc. :D

Parevner, Eskender,
Well beside the Assimil book in french, I have an other very good book for east armenian. It is called "spoken language series".It is about self-teaching language courses, 30 languages, that has also an east armenian course accompanied by recordings. I don't know if you can find it coz it has been published for the first time in 1975, but it is exellent...but anyway if you don't find it, use the Assimil book, since u understand french, it is good too.
I'll give you some info's about the american book here. It might be a help:
Spoken language series, Modern-east Armenian, by Gordon H. Fairbanks & Earl W. Stevick, joint author,
Published by spoken lang. series, Inc. /P.O. Box 783
Ithaca, New York 14850
By the way, do you know what your name means in greek? Alex-andros: alex comes from the verb 'alexo' that means to protect, and andr- is the genitive stam of the word "aneer" that means man, person, people, thus alexander means the one who protects the humans, the people.
This alex- preffix is used in greek also in other words for instance: Alexi-keravno= lightning rod/conductor/arrester(keravnós meaning lightning
-Alexisphero= bullet-proof, (sphero meaning bullet)
-Alexipyro= fire-screen/proof, (pyr= fire)
-Alexiptoto=parachute, (ptosis =(down)fall), thus the object that protects you from the fall...etc
Have a nice evening & good luck + courage with hayeren...bachikner!!

Makrasiroutioun

Postby Makrasiroutioun » 2007-12-14, 23:16

Pimsleur has a small series for both Western and Eastern Armenian. You might want to check that you to perfect your pronunciation.

mikebond

Armenian poem(s) about the Rose

Postby mikebond » 2008-01-25, 15:19

I am starting to write my degree thesis in Comparate literatures which will deal with the Rose in the poetry of possibly all European countries. Can anyone suggest one or more Armenian poems about the flower rose? I need both the original text(s) and a translation, best if into Italian (my mother tongue and the language of my thesis), but a translation into English or French will also be ok.
Thanks for any help.

pimpoapo

The Owl and the Pussy-cat - to be translated into Armenian

Postby pimpoapo » 2008-04-01, 15:46

Hi,

I'm looking for a translation of the Owl and the Pussy-cat by Edward Lear on behalf of my friend who is making a collection of this poem in as many languages as he can, just for fun. He's 98-year-old and this hobby gives him a great pleasure.

The Owl and the Pussy-cat

I

The Owl and the Pussy-cat went to sea
In a beautiful pea green boat,
They took some honey, and plenty of money,
Wrapped up in a five pound note.
The Owl looked up to the stars above,
And sang to a small guitar,
'O lovely Pussy! O Pussy my love,
What a beautiful Pussy you are,
You are,
You are!
What a beautiful Pussy you are!'

II

Pussy said to the Owl, 'You elegant fowl!
How charmingly sweet you sing!
O let us be married! too long we have tarried:
But what shall we do for a ring?'
They sailed away, for a year and a day,
To the land where the Bong-tree grows
And there in a wood a Piggy-wig stood
With a ring at the end of his nose,
His nose,
His nose,
With a ring at the end of his nose.

III

'Dear pig, are you willing to sell for one shilling
Your ring?' Said the Piggy, 'I will.'
So they took it away, and were married next day
By the Turkey who lives on the hill.
They dined on mince, and slices of quince,
Which they ate with a runcible spoon;
And hand in hand, on the edge of the sand,
They danced by the light of the moon,
The moon,
The moon,
They danced by the light of the moon.

He started about 2 years ago and we managed to get it in more than 60 languages so far. Because we are running out of resources I decided to ask help from communities who dedicated to different languages.
It doesn't need to be a professional translation.

Here's a website that I started to set up to share all the translations that we've got so far. Some of them was made by poets but most of them just by friends or people who we run into in different places (waiters of the local restaurant, nurses from hospital, etc). They did the best they could and they just did it for fun and because they wanted to add their own language to this collection.

http://www.bompa.org

If you could translate it into Armenian that would be a great help for us.
For exchange I always mention who did the translation at the end of the poem and if you wish it can be linked to your website or email address.

Thanks again for anyone who will help us.

-=Pimpoapo=-
Last edited by pimpoapo on 2009-01-09, 10:50, edited 2 times in total.

adventrue

un ange passe

Postby adventrue » 2008-06-06, 12:52

When in a group conversation there is one of those embarrassing silences the french and icelanders say "an angel passes". Less poetically, Russians say "an armenian just died".

what do armenians say, i wonder?

Turco

A question about Armenia

Postby Turco » 2008-06-14, 18:01

Hi... I'm from Mexico, and I'm very interested about Turkish culture. But since a heard the song "Qele Qele" in Eurovision, I started to be interested by the armenian culture, so I researched about relations between Armenia and the other countries, and I found things about Armenia and Azerbaiyan, that there is a lot of tension between these two countries.
But I'm more interested about the relations between Armenia and Turkey, because I know a little about their "black history" arround 1920. I want to know what are the relations between armenians and turks, if there is some kind of "bad feelings" between these two countries...

Thanks, and sorry for my English... I want to say more things but I don't know how...

Hypocrisy

Postby Hypocrisy » 2008-06-14, 19:28

Yes, there are lots of problems between Armenia and Turkey. We've been living in peace since close history about 100-150 years. But darkness has started rising up after 1st world war among us despite living closely (Of course with some helps to darkness by "old-minded" european countries during war). Ottoman emp. lost so much blood because of war, their economy suddenly collapsed, they weren't able to protect themselves against the countries out of border, inside disasters etc.

Therefore, Ottoman empire was obliged to leech off of developed european countries. Capitulations, global markets, attacks coming from neighbour countries been thirsty for earth and money. The article above is about the secondary reasons of problem which occured between Turkey and Armenia after USA announced to release kind of agreement on human rights. So this agreement became a source to base the problem on an official reason for European countries. The idea of independence made them think of approaching to the independence although they used to live in peace together with Turkish people.

They have started attacking to Turkish villages by imagining about the great Armenia living in their dreams only. Everybody knew, they were sacrificed for bigger longings regarding the control of world. Ottoman emp. had to push them immigrating from east to south. During the immigration, many people were dead because of harmful diseases, enemy attacks and consequences of war. All of the matters are looking totally foolish, neeedless and pointless to me...

I don't have much knowledge about details to give you an elaborated explanation since i'm too young to discuss historical facts happened years ago. I am aware of well-known things like everybody.

I hope this doesn't look very nationalist. In fact, i'm looking forward to seeing comments against mine by a native Armenian.

Regards.
Last edited by Hypocrisy on 2008-10-24, 19:36, edited 2 times in total.

Turco

Postby Turco » 2008-06-14, 20:40

But today, does Armenian people "hate" or something like that Turkish people??? The two nations live today in peace???

Tnaks for the information

Hypocrisy

Postby Hypocrisy » 2008-06-14, 20:45

We all want to live in peace. However, Unfortunately the masters apparently don't think so...

Turco

Postby Turco » 2008-06-14, 20:49

Hypocrisy wrote:We all want to live in peace. However, Unfortunately the masters apparently don't think so...

So there still are some confrontations between the two gouvernements?

It's good that the two people want to live in peace... I saw that Armenians and people of Azerbaiyan doesn't like each other...

Hypocrisy

Postby Hypocrisy » 2008-06-14, 21:05

I don't manage to think about political issues myself.I actually don't even care what governments say to each other.

Yes, as i said there still are some troubles looking unsolvable.

It depends on what kind of people you are, if you really are willing to solve troubles, What could stop you...
Last edited by Hypocrisy on 2008-10-02, 10:39, edited 1 time in total.

kalemiye

Postby kalemiye » 2008-06-14, 21:41

Turco wrote:But today, does Armenian people "hate" or something like that Turkish people??? The two nations live today in peace???

Tnaks for the information

The owner of the Armenian Restaurant my dad used to go to used to tell him "Turco bueno, turco muerto". I guess there is still lots of resentment against the Turks. Recently there was a demonstration of Armenians asking for the recognizion of the Armenian genocide by Turkey in Madrid.
Not available

Sisyphe

Postby Sisyphe » 2008-06-14, 22:02

Turco wrote:
Hypocrisy wrote:We all want to live in peace. However, Unfortunately the masters apparently don't think so...

So there still are some confrontations between the two gouvernements?

It's good that the two people want to live in peace... I saw that Armenians and people of Azerbaiyan doesn't like each other...

Armenia and Azerbaijan are in a dispute about who Nagorno-Karabakh, a territory within Azerbaijan, belongs to. In the late 80s a war actually broke out about the dispute, and now Nagorno-Karabakh is one of the most dangerous areas in the Caucasus because of all of the landmines that are still there. :? I'd wager to say that religious differences also have a large part in Armenia-Azerbaijan/Turkey relations.
Actively learning: ImageImageOn the back burner but in love with:ImageImage A life-long endeavor: Image

Turco

Postby Turco » 2008-06-14, 22:21

What religion practise the majority of the people in Armenia??? I found that the majority is orthodox (I don't know if taht's the name in English)

So, we can say that younger people wants to have a good relationship between these two cultures, but old people still has the memory of the insidents of the First World War...

kalemiye

Postby kalemiye » 2008-06-15, 11:25

Turco wrote:What religion practise the majority of the people in Armenia??? I found that the majority is orthodox (I don't know if taht's the name in English)

So, we can say that younger people wants to have a good relationship between these two cultures, but old people still has the memory of the insidents of the First World War...

Normalmente son de la Iglesia Ortodoxa Armenia, pero hay muchos que son protestantes debido a las labores de conversión que llevaron a cabo misioneros estadounidenses en el Imperio Otomano en el siglo XVIII.
Not available

Makrasiroutioun

Postby Makrasiroutioun » 2008-06-18, 0:38

Well... this is a tough question.

An unrecognised genocide doesn't really help foster relations. It also doesn't help when the Turkish government (note, I said the government) possesses a huge propaganda machine that can spew realistic-sounding information like the one found on their official ambassadorial statements http://www.turkishembassy.org/index.php ... Itemid=257

I have heard, read, and seen every single argument, counterargument, counter-counterargument, counter-counter-counterargument, etc., that you can think of from all sides of the "debate" (which it isn't...) To anyone wanting to start a gigantic flame war - keep your rhetoric for yourself... I don't want anyone to get banned from this forum community.

I've seen the history books Turkish children and teenagers have at school... so I can't really blame them for reacting the way they do whenever they hear talk of genocide. So long as they are able to see through the lies and propaganda of not only their government but that of any other government, I get along quite well with them.

Western Armenians (the ones most heavily affected by the genocide, hence the reason they are today scattered all over the world - Syria, Lebanon, USA, Canada, France, Germany, Australia, etc.) are much more resentful towards Turkey than are Eastern Armenians, for whom business is business because they share a border.

Relations between the two governments will never improve significantly, however.

The Azerbaijan issue is another story, but not nearly as sad as this one.

Turco

Postby Turco » 2008-06-18, 2:18

Thaks for all your opinions it answered my question...

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Armenian sayings/proverbs

Postby eskandar » 2008-07-24, 23:18

Barev! I'm looking for Armenian sayings or proverbs about the following topics:

-religion (specifically about co-existence with Muslims and/or Jews)
-migration
-being a minority/persecuted/etc.
-diaspora

If anyone can think of relevant Armenian sayings and could provide them (preferably in Armenian with an English translation :) ) I would be very grateful! I'm also looking for similar sayings in Assyrian/Syriac/Aramaic/etc. if you happen to know any.
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

Formiko

խաղ: Անձն իմ ներքևում . .:

Postby Formiko » 2008-08-07, 21:27

Անձն իմ տակ սիրում է շոկոլադ:
Cherokee Indian STILL improving German.
Getting reacquainted with Swahili Msaada!
In no particular order
[flag]eo[/flag][flag]de[/flag][flag]es[/flag][flag]yo[/flag][flag]chr[/flag][flag]ru[/flag]

Vergilius

Translations

Postby Vergilius » 2008-09-05, 21:17

Hi!
I need a translation of two phrases into Armenian.
First is "The Princess of Armenia" (or "The Armenian Princess"), and the second is in form of dedication "To the Princess of Armenia" (or "To the Armenian Princess"). I would be really grateful for translating these few words for me :)
Native: Polski
Intermediate: English
Basic: French, German, Hebrew, Latin, Koine Greek

Return to “Other Languages”