Learning materials etc. [Eskimo-Aleut languages]

limoneneis

Postby limoneneis » 2008-02-28, 16:14

I can't find any audio resources at atuagkat.com either. They used to have the tapes for Qaagit though. Oh maybe it's because they are now planning to use CDs instead of tapes. I asked the people at atuagkat if they had it on CD and they said they are right now in the process of putting it on CDs and they would list it on the website once it is available.

nighean-neonach

Postby nighean-neonach » 2008-02-28, 20:45

Stig Bjørnum's grammar is just great, I use it all the time and I find it really useful. I don't know the other one, though, but I suspect it is more basic. Bjørnum is quite comprehensive, yet clear and concise.

I bought the Qaagit tapes a while ago and can't really remember where that was.
Writing poetry in: Scottish Gaelic, German, English.
Reading poetry in: Latin, Old Irish, French, Ancient Greek, Old Norse.
Talking to people in the shop in: Lithuanian, Norwegian, Irish Gaelic, Saami.
Listening to people talking in the shop in: Icelandic, Greenlandic, Finnish.

MH73

Postby MH73 » 2008-03-19, 4:53

Haluukkut, uanga kalaaliuvunga. Qanoq ingerlanerpusi? Aatsaat ilaasortanngorama misiliivunga. Hey, I´m a native kalaaleq. I just join in as a member.
MH73

Śrāmaṇera

Postby Śrāmaṇera » 2008-03-19, 13:27

Great ! I haven´t started learning kalaallisut but you will make some people more than happy around here :D

Welcome to Unilang !

nighean-neonach

Postby nighean-neonach » 2008-03-22, 11:40

MH73 wrote:Haluukkut, uanga kalaaliuvunga. Qanoq ingerlanerpusi? Aatsaat ilaasortanngorama misiliivunga. Hey, I´m a native kalaaleq. I just join in as a member.
MH73

Haluu, qanoq ippit? Ajunngik? Tikilluarit! :D Uanga Tysklandimiuuvunga. Kalaallisut immannguaq oqaluttarpunga (ilinniarpunga). Sumi najugaqarpit?
Writing poetry in: Scottish Gaelic, German, English.
Reading poetry in: Latin, Old Irish, French, Ancient Greek, Old Norse.
Talking to people in the shop in: Lithuanian, Norwegian, Irish Gaelic, Saami.
Listening to people talking in the shop in: Icelandic, Greenlandic, Finnish.

MH73

Postby MH73 » 2008-03-23, 3:15

Haluu, qanoq ippit? Ajunngik? Tikilluarit! :D Uanga Tysklandimiuuvunga. Kalaallisut immannguaq oqaluttarpunga (ilinniarpunga). Sumi najugaqarpit?[/quote]

Haluu, uanga aamma ajunngik. Qujanaq tikilluaqqusissutinnut. :D Nuummi najugaqarpunga. Akunnattooruit arlaannik neriuppunga ikiulaarsinnaassallutit. Inuss. inuull. MH73

Tukkumminnguaq

Re:

Postby Tukkumminnguaq » 2009-01-28, 0:34

MH73 wrote:Haluu, qanoq ippit? Ajunngik? Tikilluarit! :D Uanga Tysklandimiuuvunga. Kalaallisut immannguaq oqaluttarpunga (ilinniarpunga). Sumi najugaqarpit?

Haluu, uanga aamma ajunngik. Qujanaq tikilluaqqusissutinnut. :D Nuummi najugaqarpunga. Akunnattooruit arlaannik neriuppunga ikiulaarsinnaassallutit. Inuss. inuull. MH73

Haluu, Nuummi? torrappoq! Eqalummi najugarpunga kisiani Winnipeg-mi nuullunga.
Kalaallisut oqaasii paasitsiarunnarpunga. Inuttitullu Kalaallisut oqaasii assigiipput =D
[flag]en-ca[/flag][flag]sgn[/flag][flag]iu[/flag][flag]kl[/flag][flag]ale[/flag]
[flag]qu[/flag][flag]tr[/flag][flag]yrk[/flag][flag]evn[/flag][flag]ckt[/flag][flag]itl[/flag]

[̲̅̅N̲̅][̲̅̅o̲̅][̲̅̅b̲̅][̲̅̅o̲̅][̲̅̅d̲̅][̲̅̅y̲̅] [̲̅̅K̲̅][̲̅̅n̲̅][̲̅̅o̲̅][̲̅̅w̲̅][̲̅̅s̲̅][̲̅̅.̲̅] [̲̅̅L̲̅][̲̅̅i̲̅][̲̅̅f̲̅][̲̅̅e̲̅] [̲̅̅A̲̅][̲̅̅s̲̅] [̲̅̅T̲̅][̲̅̅h̲̅][̲̅̅e̲̅][̲̅̅y̲̅] [̲̅̅K̲̅][̲̅̅n̲̅][̲̅̅o̲̅][̲̅̅w̲̅] [̲̅̅I̲̅][̲̅̅t̲̅][̲̅̅.̲̅]

Meneghis

Re: Learning materials, web resources and suggestions

Postby Meneghis » 2011-01-14, 20:58

Thanks a lot for all these wounderful resources! I just have bought from Germany the Kauderwelsch book :D
Corrections are welcome

Gamma

Postby Gamma » 2011-03-26, 15:43

I am researching self-teaching material (coursebooks with CD's) for Greenlandic on the internet, but as we all know, they are not very abundant. I really enjoy the "Assimil" method. Therefore, finding a course as similar as possible to that would make me very happy. However, as mentioned, it is unlikely that this comes true, so I am considering any other resources available in the market. Please note that I have not studied Danish yet; so that is one more thing that limits me right now.

Among the resources you have listed for Greenlandic, the material named "Grönländisch Wort für Wort" by Richard Kölbl (book + cd) caught my attention. I was actually about to buy it online when I realized that this is more inclined to a guide/phrase book than to a real self-teaching course. Am I wrong? Could you guys, having used such book at least partially, post your feedback on it here?

Do you know if there is any other self-teaching material (book + audio) that matches the above exposed preferences and is NOT written in Danish, to learn the Greenlandic language from scratch?

Thanks to everybody in advance!
Nationality: Brazilian/Portuguese
Languages: Portuguese, Spanish, Italian, French, English, German, Russian, Finnish.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2011-04-05, 12:57

I'm currently unaware of any textbooks not written in Danish for Greenlandic.

But I will say that I have seen Grönländisch Wort für Wort, and it's a decent textbook. As you said, it is meanly meant to be a 'phrase-book' like text, but it does give decent grammar instruction along the way.

I believe it's basic set-up is giving phrases, and then parsing them, and giving notes throughout.
It has been awhile since I saw the text.

gothwolf
Language Forum Moderator

Postby gothwolf » 2011-04-05, 18:26

Yeap, Grönländisch Wort für Wort is quite good and I'm contented with it - there is a grammar section which is better than nothing... :wink: but still cannot find time for Greenlandic. :(

limoneneis

Postby limoneneis » 2011-05-16, 20:44

There is a new Greenlandic learning software for beginners here: atuagkat.gl, in case anyone is interested. It's called Learn Greenlandic and is apparently part of the Talk Now CD-rom series. I don't know if it's any good, it looks mainly like a phrase book.
[flag=]kl[/flag][flag=]ja[/flag]

juicypuffin

Postby juicypuffin » 2011-05-18, 8:57

limoneneis wrote:There is a new Greenlandic learning software for beginners here: atuagkat.gl, in case anyone is interested. It's called Learn Greenlandic and is apparently part of the Talk Now CD-rom series. I don't know if it's any good, it looks mainly like a phrase book.

Actually, there's five software things for Greenlandic here: http://eurotalk.com/nz/store/learn/greenlandic

You might also be interested in this site, but I forgot if I got the link from these forums or not: http://brazil1500.tripod.com/wodlingos/id29.html
It has reading paragraphs and then breaks down the vocabulary and word structure. All the audio links are broken though.
If you have any learning resources for the following languages, please tell me:
[flag]kl[/flag] [flag]is[/flag] [flag]fo[/flag] [flag]fi[/flag] [flag]sv[/flag] [flag]no[/flag] [flag]dk[/flag] And any Saami languages: [flag]smi[/flag]
http://learn-nordic.livejournal.com/

Massimiliano B

Postby Massimiliano B » 2012-06-25, 21:32

Here is an Aleut grammar (it is downloadable):

http://books.google.it/books/about/The_ ... edir_esc=y

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2012-06-25, 23:11

Massimiliano B wrote:Here is an Aleut grammar (it is downloadable):

http://books.google.it/books/about/The_ ... edir_esc=y

I've actually found that book before. The only reason I didn't post it is, it makes use of a different alphabet.

Struthiomimus

Postby Struthiomimus » 2012-07-17, 1:55

Hey! I just came across this: Five Decades of Inuktitut Online.
[flag=]wbp[/flag] [flag=]qu[/flag] [flag=]eo[/flag] [flag=]wo[/flag] [flag=]rom[/flag] [flag=]csb[/flag] [flag=]lkt[/flag]

"Beshav me akana kai le chirikle chi gilaban." kaj, "Beidh ceol, caint agus craic againn."

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2012-07-17, 11:55

Cool, thanks Struth! 8-)

Massimiliano B

Postby Massimiliano B » 2012-08-13, 10:46

Does anyone know this site? I think no one posted it in this forum:

http://ankn.uaf.edu/index.html

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2012-08-13, 11:46

Nope, no-one else posted it.

I've seen it before actually, but that was a few years ago. Good add! :)

Passe-Cale

Postby Passe-Cale » 2012-09-14, 15:30

I just came across an iOS app with vocabulary and lessons in inuktitut.
http://itunes.apple.com/tw/app/tusaalanga/id491243426?mt=8

Haven't had the chance to try it yet but looks nice.

Found in this report (in French) of Québec Science magazine about Microsoft localising their software in inuktitut. Very interesting if you read French.
Native : [flag]fr-QC[/flag] . . Fluent : [flag]en-CA[/flag] . .. . .. . .Currently interested in : [flag]ru[/flag] [flag]sv[/flag] [flag]he[/flag]
Conversant : [flag]es[/flag] [flag]zh.Hans[/flag] [flag]eo[/flag] . . . . . Also studied : [flag]grc[/flag] [flag]la[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag] [flag]it[/flag] [flag]de[/flag] [flag]ja[/flag]

Return to “North American Indigenous Languages”