Your favourite names (in any language)

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator:Forum Administrators

linguanima

Postby linguanima » 2008-02-26, 8:29

Kayla reminds me of the name 'Leyla' or 'Layla' or however it's spelt. They tell me it means 'night' in Arabic. It's such a poetic name!

I absolutely hate the name 'Kimberly' (sorry if it's anyone's name here). Too manly and too.. heavy, just doesn't sound right on a girl. Same effect is given by the the Portuguese name Conceição. It sounds like an abstract noun once you know that -ção is the Portuguese equivalent of the English -tion. So it'd sound like.. conception or concession. Imagine a girl called Conception...
Şərqiy hünərlər: [flag]ug[/flag] [flag]tr[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag] [flag]fa[/flag] [flag]mn[/flag]
Ğərbiy hünərlər: [flag]en[/flag] [flag]fr[/flag] [flag]pt[/flag] [flag]ru[/flag] [flag]el[/flag]

DelBoy
Location:i nDún Éideann, in Albain; as Áth Cliath in Éirinn (in Edinburgh, Scotland; from Dublin, Ireland)

Postby DelBoy » 2008-02-26, 11:45

linguanima wrote: It sounds like an abstract noun once you know that -ção is the Portuguese equivalent of the English -tion. So it'd sound like.. conception or concession. Imagine a girl called Conception...

There are quite a few girls names used in Ireland like this (I don't think they're Irish, they don't sound it, but I've never heard them used anywhere else!). Zorba mentioned Attracta earlier, there's also Concepta and Assumpta, among others - always makes me think of the -tion ending aswell!
The British Isles are awesome - I know, I live there - but Ireland is not a part of them. K thnx bai!

Labharfainn níos mó faoi, dá dtuigfinn an bhrí...

linguanima

Postby linguanima » 2008-02-26, 12:10

DelBoy wrote:
linguanima wrote: It sounds like an abstract noun once you know that -ção is the Portuguese equivalent of the English -tion. So it'd sound like.. conception or concession. Imagine a girl called Conception...

There are quite a few girls names used in Ireland like this (I don't think they're Irish, they don't sound it, but I've never heard them used anywhere else!). Zorba mentioned Attracta earlier, there's also Concepta and Assumpta, among others - always makes me think of the -tion ending aswell!

Ok finally I know where these names are from.

Religious connotations. The Divine Conception, and the Assumption.
Şərqiy hünərlər: [flag]ug[/flag] [flag]tr[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag] [flag]fa[/flag] [flag]mn[/flag]
Ğərbiy hünərlər: [flag]en[/flag] [flag]fr[/flag] [flag]pt[/flag] [flag]ru[/flag] [flag]el[/flag]

Bjarn

Postby Bjarn » 2008-02-26, 12:42

Whenever I think of my name I always drop the K and think of Ayla. :lol:

I suppose she was wild and strong, Ayla of No People, Protected by the spirit of the Cave Lion. 8)
Språk är en tråd genom tidens flod...
Bruidhinn rium sa' Ghàidhlig!
Un homme qui parle trois langues est trilingue.
Un homme qui parle deux langues est bilingue.
Un homme qui ne parle qu'une langue est anglais.

0stsee

MarK's fav names

Postby 0stsee » 2008-02-26, 14:07

My favorite names are:

Liron
Imants
Ingela
Ini tandatanganku.

Aleco

Postby Aleco » 2008-02-26, 15:40

Male:
Ask
Vegard
Vetle
Séan
Rhys

Female:
None :P
Native (no) Fluent (en-us)
Conversational (sv) Understands (dk) Minored in and lived in (ja) Actively studying (hu)
Exposed to (fo) Study now and then (et) Curious about (cs)

kalemiye

Postby kalemiye » 2008-02-26, 17:36

linguanima wrote:Kayla reminds me of the name 'Leyla' or 'Layla' or however it's spelt. They tell me it means 'night' in Arabic. It's such a poetic name!

I absolutely hate the name 'Kimberly' (sorry if it's anyone's name here). Too manly and too.. heavy, just doesn't sound right on a girl. Same effect is given by the the Portuguese name Conceição. It sounds like an abstract noun once you know that -ção is the Portuguese equivalent of the English -tion. So it'd sound like.. conception or concession. Imagine a girl called Conception...

It is pretty common overhere. My grandmother was called Concepción. Usually the name is not Concepción, but María de la Concepción, after a virgin called like that. It is a name linked to religion, back under Franco's rule, it was mandatory to have names linked to religion, so all girls had to have a "María" somewhere in their names :lol:. The short for Concepción in Spanish is Concha.
Not available

Alejo

Postby Alejo » 2008-02-26, 20:40

Male:
Alex, as well as all of its translations or dimunitives :wink: (I am sooo happy this is my name)
Jake(my dogs name)
Ryan
Aram
Sevan
Daniel/Taniel
Vache
Nishan
Serj
Arsenio
Ahmet
Savas
Selim

Female:
Rocio
Armanoush
Katoush
Elizabeth
Courtney
Ayshe
Lupe
Marica
Lyala
Mala
Tsura
Sapnorri
Renata :D
Ann Marie

Hunef

Postby Hunef » 2008-02-26, 21:16

Bjarn wrote:More like the Hun. :)

The Scandinavian name Atle does refer to Attila the Hun.
But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright Brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
Carl Sagan

OhMyMadge!

Postby OhMyMadge! » 2008-02-27, 4:23

Lazar Taxon wrote:Male
Alyssa

YAY! At least someone likes my name :D

Some of favourites include:
Vladimir
Abel
Elspeth
Lejla
Elisheva
Dita

;)

Zorba

Postby Zorba » 2008-02-27, 4:48

Delboy wrote:There are quite a few girls names used in Ireland like this (I don't think they're Irish, they don't sound it, but I've never heard them used anywhere else!). Zorba mentioned Attracta earlier, there's also Concepta and Assumpta, among others - always makes me think of the -tion ending aswell!

Most of these are Latin forms of saints names or Roman Catholic devotional names for the Virgin Mary (Attracta > St. Attracta; Assumpta > Our Lady of Assumption; Perpetua > St. Perpetua; Concepta > Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception)

They aren't Irish in the sense of being Irish Gaelic, but they can almost be considered 'Irish' because they were used so commonly there until very recently because of the strong influence of the RC Church.

As renata said, they are also common in Spain because of Catholicism. Spanish names like Milagros (miracles), Dolores (pains), Angustias (anguish) also derive from Catholic sources.

linguanima

Postby linguanima » 2008-02-27, 6:22

Aleco wrote:Male:
Rhys

Yes! I love this name too!!

Aleco wrote:Female:
None :P

Why is that?!

Alejo wrote:Alex, as well as all of its translations or dimunitives (I am sooo happy this is my name)

Hi 5 Alejito! :wink:

Alejo wrote:Selim

Is it another version of 'Salim'? It sort of reminds me of Salim Kéchiouche, un petit arab super mignon!

In addition to the list I already posted, Jeremy and Andrew are also two of my favourites.

Aleco

Postby Aleco » 2008-02-27, 6:40

Linguanima:
Well I have the feeling Rhys is more common in Australia than anywhere else, or? I actually never heard it before I watched Home and Away :lol:
But it looks cool as well as sounds cool :D Looks kinda Welsh actually... :?

And about female names - it's simply because I couldn't come up with any female names I like :P
Native (no) Fluent (en-us)
Conversational (sv) Understands (dk) Minored in and lived in (ja) Actively studying (hu)
Exposed to (fo) Study now and then (et) Curious about (cs)

Tenebrarum

Postby Tenebrarum » 2008-02-27, 6:54

Rhys

That is male too? :shock:

linguanima wrote:Salim Kéchiouche

I've fallen in love with that guy, and it's all because of YOU!! :evil: :lol:
Last edited by Tenebrarum on 2008-02-27, 6:56, edited 1 time in total.
!Chalice! Communion wafer of the tabernacle

linguanima

Postby linguanima » 2008-02-27, 6:55

Draven wrote:

Thank me very much.

Alejo

Postby Alejo » 2008-02-27, 7:55

Draven wrote:
Rhys

That is male too? :shock:

Ow=y, thick angry eyebrows. :shock:

linguanima

Postby linguanima » 2008-02-27, 8:11

Aleco wrote:Linguanima:
Well I have the feeling Rhys is more common in Australia than anywhere else, or? I actually never heard it before I watched Home and Away :lol:
But it looks cool as well as sounds cool :D Looks kinda Welsh actually... :?

LOL you watch Home and Away? Good on you!

No Rhys is not a common name here. Actually I haven't met one single guy called Rhys yet.

linguanima

Postby linguanima » 2008-02-27, 8:14

Alejo wrote:Ow=y, thick angry eyebrows. :shock:

What do you mean?! He's so hot!

Alejo

Postby Alejo » 2008-02-27, 9:04

linguanima wrote:
Alejo wrote:Ow=y, thick angry eyebrows. :shock:

What do you mean?! He's so hot!

Well, then you are much more generous than I when it comes to this sort of thing.

I just want to...pluck them or something...

j0nas

Postby j0nas » 2008-02-27, 11:29

Jonas

Return to “Culture”