Collecting Language Books [WARNING: lots of images]

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

proycon
Server Administrator
Collecting Language Books [WARNING: lots of images]

Postby proycon » 2004-03-24, 16:08

I'm sure this is a hobby many of us have in common :) Learning a language is often done with books, and those who want to learn many languages, need many books ;)

It might be nice to show our books to others so I decided to take the first step in this by photographing all my books :) (yes, I had a lot of time to spare today :P )

Since there's a lot of imagery here, the loading will take some time :)

All books are for learning languages or reference. There are no novels in this collection.

My entire language collection in seperate piles (92 books in total):

Russian (12 books, 2 not on photograph):
[img]http://anaproy.homeip.net/proycon/bookpics/русский.jpg[/img]

Chinese (10 books):

Arabic (9 books):

French (8 books):
[img]http://anaproy.homeip.net/proycon/bookpics/français.jpg[/img]

Italian (7 books):

German (6 books):

Japanese (5 books):

Spanish (4 books):
[img]http://anaproy.homeip.net/proycon/bookpics/español.jpg[/img]

Portuguese (4 books):
[img]http://anaproy.homeip.net/proycon/bookpics/português.jpg[/img]

South-east Europe: Czech, Greek, Bulgarian, Hungarian, Croatian (3/3/1/1/1 books):

Middle East: Turkish, Hebrew and Farsi (3/2/1 books):

Scandinavia: Danish, Norwegian, Swedish (2/1/1 books):

South Asia: Hindi and Indonesian (2/2 books):

Spain: Catalan and Basque (2/1 books):
Last edited by proycon on 2004-03-24, 16:30, edited 1 time in total.
Language is the dress of thought -- Samuel Johnson
my homepage

Emandir

Postby Emandir » 2004-03-24, 16:29

Are you mad, Maarten?
I won't ever see those pictures cause I don't have enough time (and patience) to wait till they're uploaded... :shock:

Jean-Luc
Language is the best way men have found to misunderstand each other. Lycodoxos

@Emandir

Leviwosc

Postby Leviwosc » 2004-03-24, 16:37

Nice idea Maarten, though I can't follow your example, because I don't have a digital camera. But I can tell you that I have many of the books which you have too.

Trouwens... erg leuke tegeltjes verwerkt in die tafel, mijn grootmoeder heeft exact dezelfde tegels :D

Ron.
Image Image | Image Image Image Image | Image Image Image

proycon
Server Administrator

Postby proycon » 2004-03-24, 16:40

Trouwens... erg leuke tegeltjes verwerkt in die tafel, mijn grootmoeder heeft exact dezelfde tegels

LOL! Je lijkt mn moeder wel! :) Die zeurt ook de hele tijd dat we een te ouderwetse tafel hebben en dat ie nodig eens vervangen moet worden :) Maar hij is lekker groot en heel degelijk :) We zijn er blij mee :)
my homepage

Leviwosc

Postby Leviwosc » 2004-03-24, 16:45

Ik zei niet dat hij te ouderwets is :lol:

Ik zei alleen dat mijn grootmoeder exact dezelfde tegels heeft... staat wel voor oud-Nederlandse degelijkheid :P Misschien heeft je moeder wel gelijk.... ;)

Ron.
Image Image | Image Image Image Image | Image Image Image

Abavagada

Postby Abavagada » 2004-03-24, 17:57

Proy, I see this as a challenge, since I already threatened to send you pictures of my books.

If you REALLY want to spend time with your books, I suggest you do as I am doing... cataloging them.
I am cataloging all my books by title, title translation [if needed], edition, author, publisher, date, media, type, languages, ISBN, Lib. Congress number, Dewey Dec. Number, owner, and cost.

Once this is completed, I will be converting the data into another format and constucting an online search engine for that library. My plan is that this will be the start of a very large UniLang Library.

With your 92, we probably have 400 between us now. *grin*

Aba / Erik
"Internet killed the video star. Telepathy killed the internet star." - Men Without Hats
Parleremo - Where Languages Live! http://www.parleremo.org

Yanakawa

Buku2 bahasa negeri

Postby Yanakawa » 2004-03-24, 18:06

Tapis Maarten, sudah lihat buku2 bersama?
Tam, goworja Pycckn, dobre ve4er moi sien!
Hablar Espagnol? Si, un poco.
En zo kan je nog wel even doorgaan, m'n Jiddisch is niet helamaal koosjer, blijft kretologisch.
Wel een verzameling, quiet a great collection! Do I know some of the books, haven't I seen them before? :lol: :D :wink:

ekalin

Postby ekalin » 2004-03-24, 18:07

I wish I had the money to have many books... My collection consists of less than 10 books... :-( :cry:
This gubblick contains many nosklarkish English flutzpahs, but the overall pluggandisp can be glorked from context. – David Moser

kibo

Postby kibo » 2004-03-24, 18:31

Proycon, I'm tempted to shoot my own collection ;) , but my digital camera sucks. :(

Emandir wrote:Are you mad, Maarten?
I won't ever see those pictures cause I don't have enough time (and patience) to wait till they're uploaded... :shock:

That's what happens when you use IE. :twisted: In Opera you have the option to turn off the pics. :P
Goals:
[flag=]es[/flag] ➜ C1 (DELE)
[flag=]de[/flag] ➜ B2 (Goethe-Zertifikat) / C1
[flag=]sv[/flag] ➜ B1/B2

E}{pugnator

Postby E}{pugnator » 2004-03-24, 18:45

I'd like to shoot my own collection, but I don't have a camera :(

But then I still own a catalogue with the items Aba mentioned.

I don't know how many books I have, but not all language books can I say I really "have" them...for some of the titles i just have a...errr...hmm...a stuff I can't mention here right now...but Psi-Lord knows well what I mean. :wink:

Now I'm proud of my books collection, I thought proycon had many more languages...I won't complain I don't have material for learning languages anymore :D
Learning Georgian, Mandarin Chinese, Russian and Papiamentu from scratch. Trying to brush up my Norwegian up to an advanced level.

proycon
Server Administrator

Postby proycon » 2004-03-24, 19:27

I'd encourage everybody to post their pictures :) If you have a cam of course... It's now to see what books we have :)
my homepage

Patricia

Postby Patricia » 2004-03-24, 19:48

proycon wrote:I'd encourage everybody to post their pictures :) If you have a cam of course... It's now to see what books we have :)

I only have a couple of dictionaries....that's about it....I'm not a huge fan of collecting things.

Axystos

Postby Axystos » 2004-03-24, 20:24

Man, Proycon...Where did you get all these books? All from "de Slegte" (a second-hand bookshop in the Netherlands and Belgium)? I often go to 'de Slegte', too, but I don't have so many books as you have. Do you actually use them all, too?

Axystos.
*who doesn't have a digital camera*
Native: Nederlands; C2: Deutsch; C1: English;
B1: русский, français, 日本語;
A2: norsk, svenska; A1: português, italiano, español, čeština, polski

ekalin

Postby ekalin » 2004-03-24, 20:30

Patricia wrote:I'm not a huge fan of collecting things.

This is not a simple collection: the items actually have a utility.
This gubblick contains many nosklarkish English flutzpahs, but the overall pluggandisp can be glorked from context. – David Moser

proycon
Server Administrator

Postby proycon » 2004-03-24, 21:09

Indeed, collection sugar is a lot less usefull ( :P @ froggie ) . I don't collect for quantity, I collect because I want the knowledge in the books :)

Where did you get all these books? All from "de Slegte" (a second-hand bookshop in the Netherlands and Belgium)? I often go to 'de Slegte', too, but I don't have so many books as you have. Do you actually use them all, too?

Indeed, a lot is from "de Slegte", the one here in Eindhoven is great with language books, and I visit it at least once a week, so when something new arrives I spot it immediately , and if it's interesting, I often buy it. There're also books from other second hand stores, some were even acquired new (which can get quite expensive :( ) and some books were given as gifts.

And no, I don't really use the all, although I do use a lot of them, especially the languages I'm learning at the moment (the red piles, also the three biggest)
Last edited by proycon on 2004-03-24, 21:14, edited 1 time in total.
my homepage

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2004-03-24, 21:10

Nice collection! ;)

Mine's not as big (maybe around 40 books or so), but then again I can only say I actually started collecting language learning books about 1 or 2 years ago... (Unilangish influences :P ). And now I usually add up new books each couple of weeks or so :)

I have books (grammars, dictionaries, language courses, etc) for learning:
English, Spanish, French, German, Polish, Hungarian, Chinese (Mandarin), Chinese (Cantonese), Italian, Slovak, Latin, Catalan, Finnish, Interlingua, Romanian, Dutch, Asturian and Serbo-Croatian.
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

ekalin

Postby ekalin » 2004-03-24, 21:24

proycon wrote:

Indeed, collection sugar is a lot less usefull ( :P @ froggie ) . I don't collect for quantity, I collect because I want the knowledge in the books :)

On the other hand, buying books about languages that you do not really intend to learn or don't have a real interest, would be collecting. But still it is much more useful than other collections. :-)

Emandir

Postby Emandir » 2004-03-24, 21:49

Bugi a écrit :
That's what happens when you use IE. :twisted: In Opera you have the option to turn off the pics. :P

You can do that with IE too!

Jean-Luc
Language is the best way men have found to misunderstand each other. Lycodoxos

@Emandir

Mara

Postby Mara » 2004-03-25, 6:42

And I thought I was crazy wandering around shelves with language books in a bookstore and imagining which textbooks I would buy next... :wink: And later buying some of these books anyway... :silly: But now, after seeing Proycon's collection, I think I'll go ahead with my long-planned, and long-postponed, shoppping spree on Amazon. Still, it will be tough to have more books than Proy. :wink:

I have probably about 20-25 language books at the moment (not counting language CD-ROMs and books I have at my parent's house in the Czech Republic). So, if you can wait until Sunday, I'll take some pictures and post them here for all to see. :wink:
I am always sorry when any language is lost, because languages are the pedigree of nations.
-- Samuel Johnson, in: The Journal of a Tour to the Hebrides by James Boswell (1785)

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2004-03-25, 7:46

Mara wrote:And I thought I was crazy wandering around shelves with language books in a bookstore and imagining which textbooks I would buy next... :wink: And later buying some of these books anyway... :silly: But now, after seeing Proycon's collection, I think I'll go ahead with my long-planned, and long-postponed, shoppping spree on Amazon. Still, it will be tough to have more books than Proy. :wink:

I love to do the same. Schmorl & Seefeld in Hannover has a nice collection of language books, I like to have a look at them, especially new books. It already helped me to decide which books I'd like to buy for my future studies of Japanese :D. In my home town, there's only one book shop left and that sucks, hardly anything on languages either, so I always had to ask for reviews, because I couldn't see them myself. My collection isn't that big yet (I started some time after joining UniLang :wink: ), but I'm already running out of space for them. Most of them are new, but some were reduced and I rarely buy anything else than language courses, dictionaries etc. I already have some things for languages I want to learn later (Portuguese and Italian course and dictionary and a Chinese dictionary), but I don't want to buy too much now, because I'm already learning more than enough languages anyway. :wink:
Please correct my mistakes!

Return to “General Language Forum”