Why are you learning Danish?

Moderator:Mulder-21

Fränzi
Why are you learning Danish?

Postby Fränzi » 2007-11-15, 5:50

Howdy all,

Rather generic thread I know :P Post your reasons here why you chose Danish to study over Norwegian or Swedish or just a language to learn in general.

My reasons: I find the phonology really interesting and it'll also help to learn Greenlandic (resource-wise).

kuneli

Postby kuneli » 2007-11-26, 21:58

Well, as I allready know swedish & norwegian, I understand a lot oof danish.
Some times I even speak it...Actually I speak norwegian with a danish pronunciation.But I would like to learn real danish first of all because I like the sound of the language and secondly it's a challenge to learn understand the spoken language.
and finally you find book in danish for greenlandic and faroese,which I love. :D

0stsee

Dansk first

Postby 0stsee » 2007-11-27, 3:52

Now I'm not really learning Danish anymore. But it was the first Scandinavian language I learned.
The main reason?
The ferry ticket from Rostock to Denmark costs only €5. :P
I also knew some Danes long before I got to know Norwegians and Swedes.
Ini tandatanganku.

Fränzi

Postby Fränzi » 2007-12-26, 12:54

kuneli wrote:and finally you find book in danish for greenlandic and faroese,which I love. :D

What Danish books exist for Faroese? I can only think of "Kursus i Færøsk" which to my knowledge is out of print.

/off-topic

Mulder-21

Postby Mulder-21 » 2007-12-27, 4:46

*OFFTOPIC*

Fränzi wrote:
kuneli wrote:and finally you find book in danish for greenlandic and faroese,which I love. :D

What Danish books exist for Faroese? I can only think of "Kursus i Færøsk" which to my knowledge is out of print.

/off-topic

None other exist.

*OFF-TOPIC end*

I learnt Danish because I was living in Denmark at the time. However, all Faroese people have to learn Danish, since the law is like that.
Gløgt er gestsins eyga. (Føroyskt orðafelli)
Wise is the stranger's eye. (Faroese saying)
L'occhio dell'ospite è acuto. (Proverbio faroico)
Hosťovo oko je múdre. (Faerské uslovie)

Fluent: Faroese, Danish, English, German
Almost fluent: Norwegian, Swedish
Basic: Slovak (studying), Spanish
Have studied: Hebrew, Russian
Interests: Ukrainian, Romanian, Italian, Albanian, Armenian, Ossetic, Hungarian, Estonian, Baltic languages

Bondefanget

Postby Bondefanget » 2007-12-30, 10:47

kuneli wrote:But I would like to learn real danish first of all because I like the sound of the language and secondly it's a challenge to learn understand the spoken language.

A challenge is definitely right. I can give a short summery of the spoken language from a Norwegian point of view.
I have no problems with written Danish, as it's quite similar to Norwegian (bokmål), but the spoken Danish is very different from Norwegian. Many (read; most) Norwegians have problems understanding Danes. I have a Danish uncle, and all of the Norwegian part of the family still have problems understanding him. And I've even seen Norwegians and Danes having to speak English to each other (and I don't blame them).
There's a joke in Norway saying that Norwegians can understand Danish only when drunk. But there are actually some truth in it.

But having said that, I must add that the spoken Danish varies a lot. Some Danes are actually possible to understand.

Long, uninteresting reply from me here. But that's at least how most Norwegians views the Danish spoken language, and it's indeed a challenge, even if you have no problems with the written language. I hope I didn't discourage anyone from learning the language :wink:

I'll end this reply with a short clip about the Danish language:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-mOy8VUEBk
Looking for someone to practise [flag=]fi[/flag] with (e.g. Skype, instant messaging, etc.). Can offer to practise [flag=]no[/flag] in return :)

Æxylis

Postby Æxylis » 2008-01-14, 7:17

Bondefanget wrote:
kuneli wrote:But I would like to learn real danish first of all because I like the sound of the language and secondly it's a challenge to learn understand the spoken language.

A challenge is definitely right. I can give a short summery of the spoken language from a Norwegian point of view.
I have no problems with written Danish, as it's quite similar to Norwegian (bokmål), but the spoken Danish is very different from Norwegian. Many (read; most) Norwegians have problems understanding Danes. I have a Danish uncle, and all of the Norwegian part of the family still have problems understanding him. And I've even seen Norwegians and Danes having to speak English to each other (and I don't blame them).
There's a joke in Norway saying that Norwegians can understand Danish only when drunk. But there are actually some truth in it.

But having said that, I must add that the spoken Danish varies a lot. Some Danes are actually possible to understand.

Long, uninteresting reply from me here. But that's at least how most Norwegians views the Danish spoken language, and it's indeed a challenge, even if you have no problems with the written language. I hope I didn't discourage anyone from learning the language :wink:

:biglol: these clips were interesting... it does sound like they're drunk when they speak it hehehe
also kind of reminds me of when I watch videos in english played in reverse :lol:

It is because of these reasons that I'd like to learn how to speak it... I am more interested in old norse and icelandic, and a little bit with norwegian and swedish, but danish is just a fun language to try to speak as a hobby to mess with people :lol:
Если хочешь говорить со мной по скайпу, мой скайп нейм - jaakuuta
If you want to speak with me on Skype, my Skype name is jaakuuta

rachel90

Postby rachel90 » 2008-04-25, 19:19

I'd love to learn Danish for the same reason I'm studying German and trying to study some Dutch, Faroese, Norwegian and Swedish... I just LOVE languages from the north of Europe! :D I find them so fascinating... :<3:
Pimeässä metsässä voit kuulla lauluni...

Native language: Italian
Fluently spoken: English, French, Dutch, German
Basic knowledge of: Hungarian

SImon Gray

Postby SImon Gray » 2008-06-16, 20:12

Jaakuuta wrote:
Bondefanget wrote:

:biglol: these clips were interesting... it does sound like they're drunk when they speak it hehehe
also kind of reminds me of when I watch videos in english played in reverse :lol:

It is because of these reasons that I'd like to learn how to speak it... I am more interested in old norse and icelandic, and a little bit with norwegian and swedish, but danish is just a fun language to try to speak as a hobby to mess with people :lol:

They don't actually speak Danish in that clip. It's Norwegian comedians doing a mock impression of Danish. It's meaningless to both Danes and Norwegians.

Jiinze

Re: Why are you learning Danish?

Postby Jiinze » 2008-08-21, 22:04

Sorry to bump an old topic =( but

I'm learning Danish because I love the country, and the language is even more lovely =)

It's so different from most nordic language, mostly cause of the pronunciation of it, but I think it's the prettiest of all the nordic languages (Besides finnish, if you want to count that as a nordic language)

Return to “Danish (Dansk)”