Chechen

Any language which does not have a specific forum can have a thread made for it here.
księżycowy
Chechen

Postby księżycowy » 2006-09-14, 16:29

I figured it was about time to start a thread for Chechen here. Come here to talk about Chechen and to ask questions. Though with no native speakers here I can't promise a correct answer, if any answer at all. But hopefully that will change. I will probibly do something similar to what zhiguli did in his Avar thread (not that I want to steal his ideas).

Here is a link to a previous thread we had going for Chechen and Abkhaz: http://home.unilang.org/main/forum/view ... sc&start=0[url]

Well untill later, 1ОДИКА ЙОЙЛА ШУН! (good bye!)

zhiguli

Postby zhiguli » 2006-09-15, 4:16

It'd be an honour to have someone steal my ideas for a change. So go ahead, steal away...
Дала аьтто бойла шун массарна (good luck to you all)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2006-09-15, 14:13

zhiguli wrote:It'd be an honour to have someone steal my ideas for a change. So go ahead, steal away...
Дала аьтто бойла шун массарна (good luck to you all)

I'm glad you approve! And I think I'll take the hint and start working on learning Russian now, instead of waiting. And not that I want to bog down this thread with talk of Russian, but I am curious what you used to learn it.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2006-10-02, 17:19

Well I am sorry to anounce that for the time being I will not be doing anything with any Caucasian languages here at unilang. this includes Avar, Abkhaz, and Chechen. Though I love these languages dearly and hope to learn them some day, I can not do so at this time. :cry:

However, now the good news. I am learning Russian at the time being. This is why I can't really help. I'm devoting most of my free time to learning of this language. though not all of my free time. therefore I will be back for occasional visits. and through learning Russian I will be better able to access resources for these languages and to help anyone interested in them. And hey, you still got zhiguli for now!
Well that's enough babbling! Later! :)

zhiguli

Postby zhiguli » 2006-10-10, 20:16

well, sorry to hear this, but then there was never much desire to learn chechen on this forum anyway. i did get some new books (dictionaries, verb conjugation guide) for chechen so i might be posting here now and then.
in any case i hope you enjoy studying russian. there are a lot more resources for learning it...i sent a short list to your pm.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2006-11-27, 16:12

For easy access, I figured I'd post the major Chechen sites that have good lessons. They are all in Russian (The lessons anyway), and won't help you unless you know Russian (of course), but here they are regardless:

They are here and here

After I have learned some Russian I plan on picking up where zhiguli left off in translating these lessons to English, for those of you who don't know Russian of course :) So for when that will be, dont know. I only started learning Russian recently, I'm sorry to say :( . But I'll do my best!
Later!

foreign1

interest in all caucasian languages

Postby foreign1 » 2006-12-08, 3:51

Aside from a strong interest in Georgian, I am fiercely interested in minority Caucasian languages (i.e. Abkhaz, Kabardian, Chechen, Ubykh (R.I.P.), Laz, Udi, Tsez, etc.). I would love for anyone willing/capable to translate ANY literature pertaining to these languages into English and then post it on this forum. Much thanks to all of those who have managed to post info on these topics! Hope to hear from you all.

księżycowy

Re: interest in all caucasian languages

Postby księżycowy » 2006-12-08, 17:48

foreign1 wrote:Aside from a strong interest in Georgian, I am fiercely interested in minority Caucasian languages (i.e. Abkhaz, Kabardian, Chechen, Ubykh (R.I.P.), Laz, Udi, Tsez, etc.). I would love for anyone willing/capable to translate ANY literature pertaining to these languages into English and then post it on this forum. Much thanks to all of those who have managed to post info on these topics! Hope to hear from you all.

Not sure if you already know or not, but if you check out the Abkhaz thread there are links to a great set of lessons in english. Also the translation work done on one of the Chechen sites is on Unilang wiki. The other site is on a yahoo group. Though all three are unfinished as of yet :( .

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2007-07-02, 20:12

Seems like five years since I've been to Unlang, let alone to the Chechen forum. I was curious if there was any interest in the language anywhere. If so I'd like to try to start the translation attempt on the two sites that where being translated before. I can not help with the translation as of yet, as I still have to learn Russian beyond a basic level, but let's just see what happens! Please let me know if you're interested!

In the meantime, a site I found here. Not much there yet, but who knows what the future holds.[/url]

zhiguli

Postby zhiguli » 2007-07-21, 2:20

don't think much has changed in the last "five years" though there have been some people that speak (or learn) it on the chat. there was even a native ingush-speaker, but he seems to have disappeared.

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2007-07-24, 21:42

I'm VERY interested in learning Chechen!! Unfortunately I have no learning materials for Chechen, and I don't speak any Russian (although I can read Cyrillic), so I would love if there were Chechen lessons here! :D

zhiguli

Postby zhiguli » 2007-08-04, 12:03

I'm not studying this language at the moment, but if there's enough interest I may yet post something here. Though Chechen really isn't the easiest language from what I've seen. One obstacle is the not-so-phonetic alphabet, which usually don't show long vowels or diphthongs (and Chechen has a *lot* of them). It also has all kinds of ablaut/umlaut which causes all kinds of weird vowel shifts, and judging by the many conjugation paradigms for "regular" verbs it looks very chaotic indeed:

http://socrates.berkeley.edu/%7Echechen ... b_conj.htm

And that's just the phonology - grammatically, Chechen isn't a whole lot easier (all those noun cases and verb conjugations, while...somewhat...regular, are complicated by all the irregular phonological crap) and the Chechens themselves are not the most accomodating people, and tend to look on foreigners learning their language with great suspicion.

Lesson 1 - "to be"

First we'll look at the pronouns, and the noun classes, of which there are 6 in Chechen.
Со I
Хьо you (singular)
И, иза he/she/it
Тхо we (exclusive)
Вай we (inclusive)
Шу you (plural)
Уьш/уьзаш they

The difference between the two "we"s тхо and вай is that the first one excludes the person being spoken to ("we without you") and the second one includes it ("we with you"). The collective word for the Chechen and Ingush peoples Вайнах means "our people".

Noun classes are what Chechen has instead of genders. Unlike the better known European languages, it uses a letter (в/й/д/б) to mark class agreement. The first two classes relate to human beings, masculine and feminine, they also show a distinction between singular and plural and 3rd person plural vs 1st and 2nd persons. To demonstrate this we'll be using the present form the verb "to be", which will come in handy later as you learn about the verb conjugations.

males:
со ву
хьо ву
и/иза ву
тхо/вай ду
шу ду
уьш/уьзаш бу.

females:
in the singular the marker is ю (йу)

со ю
хьо ю
и/иза ю

and in the plural it's the same as the masculine (тхьо/вай ду, шу ду, уьш/уьзаш бу).

The other four classes relate to objects and all other non-human living beings, and unfortunately there is no hard and fast rule to determine what class a noun belongs to (though there are a few nouns that contain a class marker - Ваша brother - Йиша sister, ВоI son - ЙоI daughter). So just memorize them with each word.

class 3: ю (йу)
class 4: ду
class 5: бу
class 6: singular бу, plural ду.

some example sentences to see how it all works:

иза сан ваша Ву. he is my brother. (lit. he/she/it my brother is)
иза сан йиша Ю. she is my sister.
иза сан цициг ю. it is my cat (й, class 3)
иза хьан чIара бу it is your fish
both class 5 and 6 use the marker б in the singular, so they only way to know the difference is in the plural:
уьш цуьнан чIерий ду they are his fish(plural)
therefore - class 6.
notice also the possesive pronouns - while цуьнан is an altogether different root, сан my and хьан your are formed by a vowel shift.

three more useful sentences to complete this post:

со ______ ву/ю i am ______.
хьан цIе хIун ю? what's your name? (class 3)
сан цIе _____ ю. my name is ______.

botanist

Postby botanist » 2007-08-06, 13:05

great post zhiguli! чIоьгIа баркалла хьуьна :y:

zhiguli

Postby zhiguli » 2007-10-25, 11:20

An textbook for Ingush (as usual in Russian):

ДАВАЙТЕ УЧИТЬ ИНГУШСКИЙ ЯЗЫК! (IОМАБЕ ВАЙ ГIАЛГIАЙ МОТТ!)

And a cheesy 80s style pop song by the great Айна Гетагазова (who has sadly retired from the stage):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGfF6_FMieM

Noah_Che

Re: Chechen

Postby Noah_Che » 2010-01-13, 20:08

Salam alaykum!
Marshalla du shuga!
The ACCENT falls always on the first syllable

English - Chechen
Go - gho
Stand - latt
Die - walla, wala
Live - vaha, yaha, daha

I - As, So
You - Ho
Your - Han, haynig
To me - Suna
She - Iza
He - I, iz
We - Way, Tkho

And - a
But - amma

Morning - Ujre
Evening - Suire
Man - Adam
Male - Stag, sag

Land - latt
Country - mohk, mark, merk
England - Ingals-Mohk, Ingalslatt, Englasmark
Germany - Germanmohk, Germanmark, Germanlatt
Russia - Rosse
Syria - Sham
Israel - Jugta
Italy - Italu (It is literally "Ten volcanoes" : "it" - ten, "alu" - volcano)
Turkey - Hunkarmohk, Hunkarlatta, Hunkarmark
Hungary - Magharmohk, Madiarlatt, Madromark (hungarians - madroy, maghroy)
France - Pranci

Language - mott
Mass - masso (all)
Father - dadi, dada
Uncle - vati, voti
Mother - nana
Brother - washa (wosh)
Sister - yisha (yish)
Neighbour - lulaho

Wolf - Borz
Bear - Cha

Noah_Che

Postby Noah_Che » 2010-01-13, 20:28

Nokhchi (Chechens) - means Noah people

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2010-01-13, 22:03

Noah_Che wrote:Salam alaykum!
Marshalla du shuga!
The ACCENT falls always on the first syllable

English - Chechen
Go - gho
Stand - latt
Die - walla, wala
Live - vaha, yaha, daha

I - As, So
You - Ho
Your - Han, haynig
To me - Suna
She - Iza
He - I, iz
We - Way, Tkho

And - a
But - amma

Morning - Ujre
Evening - Suire
Man - Adam
Male - Stag, sag

Land - latt
Country - mohk, mark, merk
England - Ingals-Mohk, Ingalslatt, Englasmark
Germany - Germanmohk, Germanmark, Germanlatt
Russia - Rosse
Syria - Sham
Israel - Jugta
Italy - Italu (It is literally "Ten volcanoes" : "it" - ten, "alu" - volcano)
Turkey - Hunkarmohk, Hunkarlatta, Hunkarmark
Hungary - Magharmohk, Madiarlatt, Madromark (hungarians - madroy, maghroy)
France - Pranci

Language - mott
Mass - masso (all)
Father - dadi, dada
Uncle - vati, voti
Mother - nana
Brother - washa (wosh)
Sister - yisha (yish)
Neighbour - lulaho

Wolf - Borz
Bear - Cha

Interesting, some life strings again in this forum. To bad, I don't have the time (my linguistic 'plate' is quite full already) nor the resources to study the language now . . . :(

Hendriklohuis

Postby Hendriklohuis » 2010-03-19, 13:42

Dear all,

This autumn semester an online course in Chechen will be offered by the Caucasus Studies network of Malmo University (Sweden). The course is offered fully through distance learning. Other courses that will be offered are Beginning and Intermediate Georgian and some on the history and political situation of the Caucasus. More information can be found here: http://www.mah.se/caucasusstudies/courses

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2010-03-19, 20:00

Fasinating! :hmm:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2010-04-01, 15:55

Anyone have an updated link (or possibly other resource) to learn Chechen from (which I will assume will be in Russian)? The old link at the beginning of the thread doesn't seem to work anymore (for me anyway).

(I suppose I should specify that I'm not talking about the Chechnya Free Lessons, but the other set.)
Last edited by księżycowy on 2010-06-17, 20:13, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Other Languages”