Hungarian and Sumerian?

Moderator:Ashucky

sa wulfs

Postby sa wulfs » 2007-09-20, 10:41

Where are the grammatical correspondences? Sure, lexical and phonological agreements are interesting, but they don't tell the whole story, and as Vortarulo said, they can be found everywhere if you look hard enough.
http://ungelicisus.blogspot.com
Hrōþabaírhts sa Wulfs | Hrōðbeorht se Wulf | Hróðbjartr Úlfrinn | Hruodperaht der Wolf | Hrôthberht thê Wulf

millenia

Information about the source of the article

Postby millenia » 2007-09-22, 8:06

It would be nice to find the source of this Finnish scholar's article. The contents I think speak for themselves, that he knows what he is talking about.

Since I have also been working on much the same subject in comparing Sumerian vocabulary and grammar
to proto FinnoUgrian with some Altaic comparisons, which turned out to be less connected. I see that you guys have your chorus of naysayers, who also dont proove anything except that their sancrosanct comparative method is only to be trusted (by them) when it prooves what (they) want to believe. i.e. If you give them some then they still won't believe it, so who cares! Its not about convincing everyone, who doesnt want to have an open mind.

Keep it up, however you should also learn from your mistakes. Even the worst critic may occasionally have some correct points to consider. I think Hungarians have a totally different mindset, which is usually misunderstood by others. Its an egalitarian speech and way of relating.
We think inclusively and see the commonality among groups whereas IndoEuropeans always want to split hairs about others and keep them away. Both have their dissadvantage however. You can overdo the generalizations and eternally be finding random similarities in every language of the world. Try to be more strict and not waste your time. At the same time you can overdo the criticism and never accept anything, regardless of the close similarities, just because its unIndoEuropean. Face the facts, historic linguistics is highly politicized and anyone who dares get out of line if he works in the field usually gets kicked out for his trouble of coming up with a better explanation. Comparative method or not, science is not impartial! and often uses low down name calling, and backstabing when it wants to protect their priviledges. So.

I recommend to try to keep to those languages that constantly keep coming up with very close similar sounds and meaning, and better yet have a reasonably logical and systematic sound change. Sumerian, Etruscan and FinnoUgrian are all pre-IndoEuropean
"OLD European" languages and have no good reason to be unrelatable. This doesnt mean that after such a long time they should be mutually understandable like some neighboring IndoEuropean languages that hardly separated, relatively recently and all live clustered together.

Shure, it is said that Sumerians are of unknown origin, except that they appeared to know where they were from when they wrote of their cold, northern, mountainous origins in the legend of Gilgamesh. I must also shatter some old but false beliefs that FinnoUgrians derived from some nonsensical Uralic race, which doesnt resemble them at all except the most eastern most foreign elements which adopted their languages, like Samoyedic. Genetic research has also put a nail in that coffin, even if some still dont want to believe the obvious. It was a good way to keep those "fishy" FU at a distance and ignore them in the past, but that is changing now. So the Uralic name is also nonsense, because the Samoyeds are late joiners, whose language is still heavily mixed.

To the critic that Sumerian doesnt have grammatical morphological similarities to FinnoUgrian, I say it has quite a lot. Which doesnt mean its identical or mutually inteligable, just as we cant understand Finnish either after some 3 to 4000 years of separation. Perhaps this is part of the problem of the critics. They really dont trust such differences, whereas its no bigger than the differences between several FU languages today, with the added twist that the sound rules of change combinations are unique to that language, and the well known erosion in late Sumerian covers up the similarity when you dont trace the changes over time and the word group, by doing internal reconstructions and comparisons. A good example is
e =house,home
which does go back to earlier forms for a simple shelter, a tent that does look like what now we call a house. There are many many such examples of words that go from an archaic long term to a much truncated one used more as a short category symbol in late cuneiform, and was probably never pronounced that way in Sumerian. Most modern versions of Sumerian texts use these simplified truncated versions and are naturally uncomparable. Its a good thing that at least word lists have the older forms.

Fred H.

nJohn West-Hungary

Postby nJohn West-Hungary » 2007-09-30, 11:39

nJohn West-Hungary

Postby nJohn West-Hungary » 2007-10-01, 16:09

Hittite:

kuwas- == "dog" (kwon-):

..................Hittite
nominative...kuwas
accusative....kuwanan
genitive........kúnas

magyar KUVASZ ( KU-VASZ) :

Maori: kuri
Bengali: kukur
Boszniai. kucska
Bulgar: kucse
Estonian: koer
Ógörög: kuon/kion
Rohingya: kutta
Gujarati: kutri
Hindi: kuttä
Magyar: kutya
Hittite: kuwas
Héber: kélev
Kurd kumanchi: kücs
proto-australian: gudaga

nJohn West-Hungary

Postby nJohn West-Hungary » 2007-10-01, 20:44

nJohn West-Hungary wrote:.

Hittite:

kuwas- == "dog" (kwon-):

..................Hittite
nominative...kuwas
accusative....kuwanan
genitive........kúnas

magyar KUVASZ ( KU-VASZ) :

Maori: kuri
Bengali: kukur
Boszniai. kucska
Bulgar: kucse
Estonian: koer
Ógörög: kuon/kion
Rohingya: kutta
Gujarati: kutri
Hindi: kuttä
Magyar: kutya
Hittite: kuwas
Héber: kélev
Kurd kumanchi: kücs
proto-australian: gudaga

hungarian: UGAT (to bark / to yip )

ug [FURIOUS] wr. ug; ug2 "(to be) furious; anger" Akk. aggu; uggu
:yeah!:

nJohn West-Hungary

Postby nJohn West-Hungary » 2007-10-02, 16:28

LARGE:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/hu/f/f6/312_1875b_F1.jpg

These peoples must had speak between them anyway........

nJohn West-Hungary

Postby nJohn West-Hungary » 2007-10-03, 17:12

CORNFIELDS in Ancient Egypt ???

KUKORICAMEZŐK az Ókori Egyiptomban ???

Translated Title:
Cornfields in Ancient Egypt?
Publication:
Budapest Review of Books (01/2005)
Author Name:
Kóthay, Katalin Anna;
Language:
Hungarian
Subject:
Review
Issue:
01/2005
Page Range:
63-67
No. of Pages:
File size:
191 KB
Download Fee:
2.5 Euro (€)
Summary:
A critique on the Hungarian translation of The Oxford History of Ancient Egypt (ed. by Ian Shaw).
Keywords:
translation

http://www.ceeol.com/aspx/issuedetails.aspx?issueid=37fb11b8-bb07-439d-8bdf-dda4ea8c1304&articleId=fbfe445c-2bb7-42f4-bb61-ccb53d0746a8

nJohn West-Hungary

Postby nJohn West-Hungary » 2007-10-07, 21:52

Proto: *šoka
> Nostratic:
English meaning: to sigh; to rest
German meaning: seufzen; ruhen

Finnish: huokaa- 'seufzen, stöhnen; ruhen' ?

(erről nem is beszélve...)
Estonian: hoog (gen. hoou, hoo) 'Regenschauer (= futó zápor, záporeső), Windstoß (=szélroham); Ruhe (=csend, nyugalom), Pause', hooga- 'ächzenm stöhnen', hoogu- 'stark regnen, stark durchnässen' ?

Saam (Lapp): su̮ò̮k̀ɛ̮- (Wfs.) 'sausen, tosen (der Wind, ein Bach od. dgl.', suokke- (Schw.) 'seufzen, atmen'; šuok'ke- -kk- (N), sjuohkkē- (L), šu̙ȧ̙ẋko̙- (Wfs.), šuokete- (Schw.) 'seufzen' ?
Udmurt (Votyak): šutetśk- (G) 'sich ausruhen, sich erholen, Ruhe halten' ?
Komi (Zyrian): šoćći̮- (S), šojćći̮- (V), šoćći.ś- (P), šu̇ćći- (PO) 'ruhen, sich erholen' ( > Khanty O śućǝ- 'ruhen, sich ausruhen') ?
Mansi (Vogul): šāẋ- (KU), sē̮k- (KM KO) 'keuchen' ( > Khanty Ko. šeẋǝj-) ?

Hungarian: (sóhajt- 'seufzen' - rejected by Redei)

Vortarulo

Postby Vortarulo » 2007-10-09, 22:39

Forget Hungarian-Sumerian...
Forget Sumerian-Caucasian...
Forget Sumerian-Indo-European...

That was yesterday. Now comes:

Sumerian-Austric

LOL! Are they serious? OMG...
That beats all. I think I have to come up with Pirahã-Basque to keep up. ;)

- André
[flag]de[/flag] ← native
[flag]eo[/flag] [flag]us[/flag] [flag]zh[/flag] ← fluent
[flag]nl[/flag] [flag]th[/flag] [flag]tlh[/flag] ← intermediate
[flag]fr[/flag] [flag]ddo[/flag] [flag]es[/flag] [flag]lo[/flag] ← conversational
...and also a little bit of [flag]la[/flag] [flag]zhc[/flag] [flag]pt[/flag] [flag]ru[/flag] [flag]tr[/flag] [flag]tpi[/flag] [flag]ja[/flag] [flag]bo[/flag] [flag]pl[/flag] [flag]id[/flag] and [flag]art-tkp[/flag]

JackFrost

Postby JackFrost » 2007-10-09, 23:06

Is it me but do I suspect double profiles? :roll:
Neferuj paħujkij!

Vortarulo

Postby Vortarulo » 2007-10-09, 23:52

Hah!
This one site here claims not only a Sumerian-Austric relationship, but a Hungarian-Austronesian one... sure. How can one people come up with <i>so much gibberish</i> in historical linguistics?! No offense intended, but could there be <u>any</u> less likely relationship in this world?!

http://x3.hu/freeweb/frameset.x3?user=/ ... ziget.html
Note that the site is partly English, partly Hungarian.

What comes next...
- André
[flag]de[/flag] ← native
[flag]fr[/flag] [flag]ddo[/flag] [flag]es[/flag] [flag]lo[/flag] ← conversational
...and also a little bit of [flag]la[/flag] [flag]zhc[/flag] [flag]pt[/flag] [flag]ru[/flag] [flag]tr[/flag] [flag]tpi[/flag] [flag]ja[/flag] [flag]bo[/flag] [flag]pl[/flag] [flag]id[/flag] and [flag]art-tkp[/flag]

hanumizzle
Location:concat(List.intersperse " " (map (x -> reverse x) ["lol", "tuw"]))

Postby hanumizzle » 2007-10-10, 1:34

Well, none can say. Consider Malagasy.
Oleksij wrote:i wouldn't believe she's a psychiatrist in a million years
more like a psycho
but then...
all psychiatrists are psychoes

You'd better not pout, you'd better not cry
You'd better not shout, I'm telling you why
Santa Claus is dead

millenia

A sumerian Example

Postby millenia » 2007-10-10, 3:58

Since I havent figured out the trick in starting a new thread and have it show up here and not some other area, I will just reply to myself since that works.

A Sumerian –FinnoUgrian example of a definition of one of the Sumerian logograms
from the University of Pennsylvania Sumerian online dictionary.
Fred H.
Here is one group definition of the supposed “sa” word from the usual Sumerian references.
Almost all of these originated from different roots, abbreviated to become the following homonyms.
sa ( this really derives from usu =skill in Sumerian and is a truncated version)
sa [ADVICE] wr. sa2 "advice, counsel; resolution, intelligence" Akk. milku (1)
sa [BUNDLE] wr. sa; gisa "reed-bundle" Akk. kiššu Sumerian drops trailing l, j, N (2)
sa [ENTRY] wr. sa "lexical entry" [?]
sa [EQUAL] wr. sa2; sax(ZAG); se3 "to equal, compare, compete, be equal to, rival" Akk. kašādu; mašālu; šanānu (?has-on=similar)
sa [HALF] wr. sa9 "half; middle, center; to reach the middle" [Akk. mišlu] (abbreviated from s’ag=heart, center ) (4)
sa [JEWELRY] wr. sa "jewelry" Akk. šukuttu [9]
sa [MOVE] wr. sa-sa "to move about" (3)
sa [NET] wr. sa "net" Akk. šētu (?) [a loosely woven fabric with big holes] (8)
sa [PAY FOR] wr. sa10 "to pay for, buy; to be paid for, sell" Akk. šâmu (Hungarian csere=exchange, barter system of buying/selling)(9)
sa [ROAST] wr. sa "to roast; to parch" Akk. qalû (5, 6)
sa [SINEW] wr. sa "gut; sinew, tendon; string (of a bow, musical instrument); catgut string" Akk. dāmu; erru; matnu; pitnu (2 or 8)
sa [STING] wr. sa-sa "to sting" [Hungarian szur, csip =to bite, sting] [7]

Naturally looking at “sa” by itself we cannot derive the following FU words, because they are NOT the actual original forms of the words, To recognize them better requires researching their “family” of words, to see where they originated from. Then compare them with the archaic forms of the language family being compared to. Matching 11 out of 12 variations of this logogram is not bad, but it requires a bit of research and is not obvious to the casual observer. The following lists the protoword sources and lists a few examples of the modern languages that derive from it. The big question is how on earth the Sumerians were able to tell from these large number of homonyms which root words to
interpret, if they weren’t using many formative suffixes? They probably never talked like this, but the shared symbols had to be completed by the reader. The idea that one can use this kind of truncated source as the origin of FU or Altaic is also impossible, and the examples prove that the more likely scenario is that old Sumerian was much more similar to old FU without all the deleted word endings that the later Semitic scribes used. Those people who invent combinations of these bbreviations to create strange sentences to prove that this is the source of the later word are also deluding themselves, especially since these phrases make little sense. There is no need for any of that kind of linguistic acrobatics, but a historical approach is necessary.

(1)
*oc’a (possibly also on’c’a) =able to, can, intelligence /FU
ész =mind, esz-es=smart /Hungarian
osaa- =know, able to find one’s way/Finn
os =know, find /Mansi

(2)
*s’alke = stick, rod, trunk, fiber /FU
szál =log, shoot, fiber, narrow and long something./Hungarian
sayla =pole, rod, stick/Mansi
salko=pole, rod, staff/Finn
sal 3=a pole, sala = to tie up >> sa_ =sinew/Sumerian [trailing liquids are normally eventually dropped in Sumerian]

(3)
*as’e =to settle, camp during traveling, to set up a camp /FU
szál-ás =temporary lodgings; szál-ó=hotel; szál-it=to transport, to ship; szál =to fly; le-szál=fly down or get off a transport/Hungarian
isi =to settle down, the roosting of birds/Mansi
asu =reside, dwell, inhabit; ase-ma= place, station /Finn
assâ=to setup a forest hut/Lapps
zal-am=tent , usu=foundations /Sumerian

(4)
*sidjha(me) =heart, chest /FU
szügy =chest (animals); sziv=heart /Hungarian; (dj>gy or blk, m>v>blk)
sydän=heart/Finn
c^ädja =heart/Samoyed-Enyec’
sab =heart [Sumer-emesal ] , s’ág =heart, center, middle >>> sa 9=middle, center /Sumerian-Emegir [v>b, djh>g]

(5)
*c^itte =to bake, to shine (sun)/Ugor
süt =to bake, to shine as the sun; su-gár =sunbeam, beam /Hungarian
s’iti =bake, s’it- =sunshine/Mansi
s’eN=cook, boil, heat /Sumerian
su-gara = bright light. /Sumerian

(6)
*sas’e=to dry /Ugor
_asz-ik =dry out; asz-al=to dry fruit; asz-ály=drought/Hungarian (always drops lead *s from protowords)
sos =dry up; sas-em=dry /Khanti
s’uk-es=thirst/Komi
s’us’-ur=stove/Sumerian
s’a_=dry up/Sumerian

7)
*surwa =stab, pierce, thrust /FU
szur =stab, pierce, sting; szarv=horn /Hungarian
s’ure =prick, trust, crush /Mari
survaise =thrust /Finn
sar =insert /Sumerian; sar-an=a tick/Sumerian
sa, sasa=to bite

8)
*s’eNe =to weave, to plait (hair) /FU
szöv, szö =to weave; szöv-et =fabric, cloth;/Hungarian
seu =plait /Manysi
sää =string, hair /Finn
sigi =hair > ese =rope /Sumerian

(9) for some reason some languages that used geometric decorations, also called decoration by the term wedge or triangular and Sumerian also used such decorations in their temples.
soNke =spike, wedge /FU
_ék =spike, wedge; ék-es =decorated, fancy /Hungarian
tonk, lonk =spike, peg /Mansi, Khanty
sagge =pin, peg /Lapp
_ug-un 2=decoration; ge=geometrical shape /Sumerian (Sumerian drops lead s usually if the following consonant is a Liquid l,j, type)

Varislintu

Re: A sumerian Example

Postby Varislintu » 2007-10-10, 7:28

millenia wrote:Since I havent figured out the trick in starting a new thread and have it show up here and not some other area, I will just reply to myself since that works.

Have you been pushing the "New Topic" button down on the left? That would start a new topic, two of yours of which I have locked. What you want is press "Post reply". That posts a new reply.

Egein

Postby Egein » 2007-10-10, 17:57

This thread is so ridiculous it went from funny to sad to hilarious to epic. And now it's back to funny.
(is)(fi)
Nouse pois nokinen poika / nokiselta nuotiolta / havuisilta vuoteilta /pihkaisilta pään aloilta
www.flickr.com/otsebmi

millenia

Postby millenia » 2007-10-11, 4:20

Varislintu wrote:
millenia wrote:Since I havent figured out the trick in starting a new thread and have it show up here and not some other area, I will just reply to myself since that works.

Have you been pushing the "New Topic" button down on the left? That would start a new topic, two of yours of which I have locked. What you want is press "Post reply". That posts a new reply.

I thought I had, but will give it a test.
Fred

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2007-10-11, 7:01

millenia wrote:
Varislintu wrote:

I thought I had, but will give it a test.
Fred

It seems odd that you don't know already where "it goes" if you already started two topics and posted replies here as well? Well, I hope it's clear now, I wouldn't want to think you're doing it on purpose.

nJohn West-Hungary

Postby nJohn West-Hungary » 2007-10-13, 17:20

Vortarulo wrote:Forget Hungarian-Sumerian...
Forget Sumerian-Caucasian...
Forget Sumerian-Indo-European...

That was yesterday. Now comes:

Sumerian-Austric

LOL! Are they serious? OMG...
That beats all. I think I have to come up with Pirahã-Basque to keep up. ;)

- André

There are NOT PARADOX !

These are the PARTS of NOSTRATIC THEORY.

LOOK here:

The MAGYAR (hungarian) and the JAPAN are inflective languages...

A SIO jelentése ( átirata SHIO --- mert a SIO-t "szió"-nak kellene mondani ) japánul

magyar: SÓ = salt

többek között "SÓ", "SÓS VÍZ", dagály/árapály,

Searched the database using shio rewritten as しお.
潮, 汐 [しお, うしお] - (n) tide, current, salt water, opportunity
塩 [しお, えん] - (n) salt

a NI jelentései:

Searched the database using ni rewritten as に.
丹 [に] - (n) red, red earth
二 [に] - (num) two
荷 [に] - (n) load, baggage, cargo
[ニ] - (n) 4th in a sequence denoted by the iroha system, 4th note in the diatonic scale (used in key names, etc.)

HON jelentései:

Searched the database using hon rewritten as ほん.
本 [ほん] - (n, pref, suf) book, volume, main, head, this, our, present, real, counter for long cylindrical things
[ホン] - (n) phon (unit of loudness)

SAKA ( szaka) jelentése:

Searched the database using saka rewritten as さか.
坂 [さか] - (n) slope, hill
茶菓 [ちゃか, さか] - (n) tea and cakes or sweets, refreshments

SU ( SHU) jelentése:

Searched the database using shu rewritten as しゅ
主 [しゅ] - (n, adj-no) (one's) master, (our) lord
侏 [しゅ] - (n) actor, supporting post (in a roof truss)
種 [しゅ] - (n, n-suf) kind, variety, species
腫 [しゅ] - (n-suf) tumor, tumour
首 [しゅ] - (n, n-suf) counter for songs and poems

---------------------

TAIFU = TÁJFUN ( TYPHOON)

TÁJ = CLIME / LAND / LANDSCAPE
FUN = it isn't in hungarian, but:

FÚ = to blow / to bluster

--------------------

a TA jelentései:

Searched the database using TA rewritten as た.
他 [た] - (n-adv, n) other (esp. people and abstract matters)
佗 [た] - (n) be proud, be lonely
多 [た] - (n, pref) multi-
田 [た] - (n) rice field

a MA jelentései:

Searched the database using MA rewritten as ま.
真 [ま] - (n, pref) just, right, due (east), pure, genuine, true
間 [ま] - (n) space, room, time, pause
魔 [ま] - (n) demon, devil, evil spirit evil influence

a NA jelentései:

Searched the database using NA rewritten as な.
儺 [だ, な] - (n) exorcism
[な] - (prt) (sentence end, mainly masc.) indicates emotion or emphasis, (used with masu stem verb) (abbr. of nasai) command, (used with dictionary form verb) prohibition
名 [な] - (n) name, reputation
菜 [な] - (n) greens, vegetables

Tehát a
TAMA = golyó / labda stb...
MA = zöldség

TAMA + NA = "golyó-zöldség"

------------------------

Japan: HON-SEKI= home, domecile

The name of these Scythians may be preserved in Japan in the following

names:

Sakai (near Osaka)
Saeki
Sakaiminato
Sakata
Sakishima (Gunto Island)
Sakurai.

In Russia, the following names may also preserve a memory of some of the

Scythian tribes:

Sakhalin Island (near Japan)
Sakiai (in Lithuania - but named after the White Scyths?)
Sakmara River (in southern Urals, near Kazakhst.an)
Sukhinichi (west of Moscow)
Sukhona River (east of Moscow)
Sukhoylog (Urals)
Suksun (Urals).

And in North Korea we have Sakchu.

si\po\ salt /Old Japanese [ss]
shio/ salt /Tokyo[ss]
link: http://member.melbpc.org.au/~tmajlath/japan7.html

Fehér
Proto - Japanese : sirua, Old: sirwo, Modern : shiro
Proto - Turkic: siarig

SEKI =

Searched the database using seki rewritten as せき.
舎 [しゃ, せき] - (n, n-suf) inn, hut, house, mansion
咳 [せき] - (n) cough
堰 [せき] - (n) dam, sluice
席 [せき] - (n) seat
積 [せき] - (n) product
籍 [せき] - (n) one's family register, one's domicile
関 [せき] - (n, n-suf) barrier, gate
隻 [せき] - (n) counter for ships

HONSEKI =

Searched the database using honseki rewritten as ほんせき.
本籍 [ほんせき] - (n) one's permanent residence

hungarian HONSZÉK = one's permanent residence ( centre )

SHAKA ( SAKA = "szaka" olvasatú, SHAKA = "saka" olvasatú)

Searched the database using shaka rewritten as しゃか.

社歌 [しゃか] - (n) company song
釈迦 [しゃか] - (n) the Buddha, Shakyamuni, Sakyamuni

Akkor mégiscsak "SZKÍTA" (SHAKitA ???) származású a megvilágosodott ???

hanumizzle
Location:concat(List.intersperse " " (map (x -> reverse x) ["lol", "tuw"]))

Postby hanumizzle » 2007-10-13, 17:33

Isn't it true, though, that the Nostratic hypothesis is and remains strictly a hypothesis, rather than a full-fledged theory? I don't know how it has developed since last I heard.
Oleksij wrote:i wouldn't believe she's a psychiatrist in a million years
more like a psycho
but then...
all psychiatrists are psychoes

You'd better not pout, you'd better not cry

You'd better not shout, I'm telling you why

Santa Claus is dead

Vortarulo

Postby Vortarulo » 2007-10-13, 18:35

John, what you write is sheer nonsense. It has errors and mistakes everywhere! They are so easy to prove...

nJohn West-Hungary wrote:a NI jelentései:

Searched the database using ni rewritten as に.
丹 [に] - (n) red, red earth
二 [に] - (num) two
荷 [に] - (n) load, baggage, cargo
[ニ] - (n) 4th in a sequence denoted by the iroha system, 4th note in the diatonic scale (used in key names, etc.)

You fail to differenciate between KUN and ON reading. Reading 二 as "ni" is the Sino-Japanese reading, the Japanese reading of the word would be "futa"! "Ni" is a loan from Chinese.
You can't take words from the entire world's languages. Especially you cannot expect them to sound that much alike while the words from the Swadesh wordlist (of which I bet you have never heard) are strikingly dissimilar. And believe me, the Swadesh word lists of Hungarian (or any other Finno-Ugric language) and Sumerian couldn't be much more different than they are.
By the way, what is "NI" supposed to mean in Hungarian/Sumerian/whatever?

nJohn West-Hungary wrote:HON jelentései:

Searched the database using hon rewritten as ほん.
本 [ほん] - (n, pref, suf) book, volume, main, head, this, our, present, real, counter for long cylindrical things
[ホン] - (n) phon (unit of loudness)

OMG, that beats all. Are you that dull not to realize that ホン aka "phon" is a loanword from Greek (over English)? And by the way, 本 is read "moto" in Japanese, "hon" is merely a Chinese loanword, in Mandarin "běn", Classical Chinese "pən".
Again, what should HON mean? The Japanese translations you mentioned don't have anything in common.

nJohn West-Hungary wrote:SAKA ( szaka) jelentése:

Searched the database using saka rewritten as さか.
坂 [さか] - (n) slope, hill
茶菓 [ちゃか, さか] - (n) tea and cakes or sweets, refreshments

Again, I see no semantic similarity between a hill and 'tea and cakes'. You're imagining things. The second word is a Chinese loanword again ("cháguǒ" in Mandarin), furthermore, it's a compositum, composed of two unrelated words.

nJohn West-Hungary wrote:SU ( SHU) jelentése:

Searched the database using shu rewritten as しゅ
主 [しゅ] - (n, adj-no) (one's) master, (our) lord
侏 [しゅ] - (n) actor, supporting post (in a roof truss)
種 [しゅ] - (n, n-suf) kind, variety, species
腫 [しゅ] - (n-suf) tumor, tumour
首 [しゅ] - (n, n-suf) counter for songs and poems

主 is a Chinese loan (M: "zhǔ"; CC: "to").
侏 is a Chinese loan (M: "zhū"; CC: "to").
種 is a Chinese loan (M: "zhǒng"; CC: "toŋ").
腫 is a Chinese loan (M: "zhǒng"; CC: "toŋh").
首 is a Chinese loan (M: "shǒu"; CC: "(s)lu'").

Your wannabe-cognates have nothing to do with Japanese, they don't have anything in common (except for being 'nouns') and they are originally far from being similar to your pseudo-protoword SU/SHU or whatever this is supposed to be.

Please stop talking nonsense!

nJohn West-Hungary wrote:TAIFU = TÁJFUN

TÁJ = CLIME / LAND / LANDSCAPE
FUN = it isn't in hungarian, but:

FÚ = to blow / to bluster

Okay, táj means land(scape) in Hungarian. But "Taifuu" is not a native Japanese word, it's from Chinese again: 颱風 (Mandarin: "tái fēng"), of which the 風 (meaning 'wind') can be tracked back to Classical Chinese "prǝm". You cannot claim that "prəm" and "fú" or "fúj" are any similar.

nJohn West-Hungary wrote:a TA jelentései:

Searched the database using TA rewritten as た.
他 [た] - (n-adv, n) other (esp. people and abstract matters)
佗 [た] - (n) be proud, be lonely
多 [た] - (n, pref) multi-
田 [た] - (n) rice field

他 is a Chinese loan (M: "tā"; CC: "(s)laj").
佗 is a Chinese loan (M: "tuó"; CC: "(s)laj(s)").
多 is a Chinese loan (M: "duō"; CC: "taj").
田 is a Chinese loan (M: "tián"; CC: "lhin").

Again, no similarity, neither in pronunciation nor in meaning.

nJohn West-Hungary wrote:a MA jelentései:

Searched the database using MA rewritten as ま.
真 [ま] - (n, pref) just, right, due (east), pure, genuine, true
間 [ま] - (n) space, room, time, pause
魔 [ま] - (n) demon, devil, evil spirit evil influence

魔 is a Chinese loan (M: "mó"; CC: "?"). The others happen to be real Japanese words. Lucky you.

nJohn West-Hungary wrote:a NA jelentései:

Searched the database using NA rewritten as な.
儺 [だ, な] - (n) exorcism
[な] - (prt) (sentence end, mainly masc.) indicates emotion or emphasis, (used with masu stem verb) (abbr. of nasai) command, (used with dictionary form verb) prohibition
名 [な] - (n) name, reputation
菜 [な] - (n) greens, vegetables

儺 is a Chinese loan (M: "nuó"; CC: "nar/nan").
Again, where's the supposed relationship between those words? Now you stopped claiming relationships with unrelated languages and instead give random words only?

nJohn West-Hungary wrote:Japan: HON-SEKI= home, domecile

May I remember you that this word (本籍) is a Chinese loan and is pronounced "běnjí" in Mandarin. No similarity to your Hungarian word below, see?

nJohn West-Hungary wrote: The name of these Scythians may be preserved in Japan in the following

names:

Sakai (near Osaka)
Saeki
Sakaiminato
Sakata
Sakishima (Gunto Island)
Sakurai.

LOL, you don't seem to care about the true etymology of these place names. :D
I can give you the <u>true</u> etymologies and meanings for these places, if you want. The last one is named after the Japanese word for cherry blossoms, for instance.

nJohn West-Hungary wrote:In Russia, the following names may also preserve a memory of some of the

Scythian tribes:

Sakhalin Island (near Japan)
Sakiai (in Lithuania - but named after the White Scyths?)
Sakmara River (in southern Urals, near Kazakhst.an)
Sukhinichi (west of Moscow)
Sukhona River (east of Moscow)
Sukhoylog (Urals)
Suksun (Urals).

And in North Korea we have Sakchu.

No, they may not. Sakhalin is from Manchu and means "black". Sukhoy log is simply Russian meaning "dry chasm" or "dry gap". Sukhona means "dry" (with a suffix) in Russian.
For the other places I can't give you any translations now (my place name etymology book is rather small), but it's very likely that all/most of those are derived from Slavic or Turkic words, depending on the languages that are or were spoken in the surrounding area.

As for the Korean place, it's also a Chinese loanword, 朔州 (meaning 'first day of the lunar month + province') is pronounced "Shuòzhōu" in Mandarin. There's a place in Shanxi with the same name. 朔 is "(s)ŋrak" in Classical Chinese, by the way.

What's next?

nJohn West-Hungary wrote:SEKI =

Searched the database using seki rewritten as せき.
舎 [しゃ, せき] - (n, n-suf) inn, hut, house, mansion
咳 [せき] - (n) cough
堰 [せき] - (n) dam, sluice
席 [せき] - (n) seat
積 [せき] - (n) product
籍 [せき] - (n) one's family register, one's domicile
関 [せき] - (n, n-suf) barrier, gate
隻 [せき] - (n) counter for ships

HONSEKI =

Searched the database using honseki rewritten as ほんせき.
本籍 [ほんせき] - (n) one's permanent residence

hungarian HONSZÉK = one's permanent residence ( centre )

Ah! Okay, I have already proven that this is wrong and you're only playing around. This is no real science, John, it's "folk etymology" and false.
Most, if not all, of the Japanese SEKI words are loans from Chinese and are pronounced quite different there.

nJohn West-Hungary wrote:SHAKA ( SAKA = "szaka" olvasatú, SHAKA = "saka" olvasatú)

Searched the database using shaka rewritten as しゃか.

社歌 [しゃか] - (n) company song
釈迦 [しゃか] - (n) the Buddha, Shakyamuni, Sakyamuni

Here I don't even need to look it up. Both words are a) compounds and b) loans from Chinese. Oh, not the last one, I see now... this seems to be a loan word from Sanskrit, even!

nJohn West-Hungary wrote:Akkor mégiscsak "SZKÍTA" (SHAKitA ???) származású a megvilágosodott ???

Well, whatever this means, there's no evidence whatsoever that the Scythians are in any way related to the things and words you mentioned.

Your "research" is so ridiculous...
[flag]de[/flag] ← native

Return to “Ancient, Classical and Extinct Languages”