Kazakh (Қазақ тілі)

Moderator:eskandar

E}{pugnator

Postby E}{pugnator » 2007-09-27, 22:42

Better have expuguitis than eggoism :P
Learning Georgian, Mandarin Chinese, Russian and Papiamentu from scratch. Trying to brush up my Norwegian up to an advanced level.

zhiguli

Postby zhiguli » 2007-09-29, 5:42

Lesson 4
Төртінші сабақ

In this lesson we'll begin learning sentences with a verbal predicate. The pure verb stem (without any endings) is also the 2nd person singular informal imperative:
тап find (it)!
ал take (it)!
ойла think!
жаз write!

In dictionaries the infinitive is given as root+у:
табу to find
алу to take
ойлау to think
жазу to write

It is formed by adding -у (or -ю, if the stem ends in й) to the verbal stem. As well, stems ending in п, к, қ change this to б, г, ғ when adding this ending. Roots ending in і or ы drop this final letter. Forms for such verbs will be given in square brackets.

тап - табу
кес - кесу
оқы - оқу
шық - шығу
жай -жаю

One of the most common formative suffixes for verbs is -ла/ле~-да/де~-та/те. Like the plural ending, it changes thus:
-ла/ле - for words ending in vowels and р, й, у
-да/де - for words ending in ж, з, л, м, н, ң
-та/те - for words ending in voiceless consonants and б, в, г, д

Learn the following words:
іс matter, work істеу to work, to do
ой thought ойлау to think
жақын near жақындау to approach/draw nearer
арзан cheap арзандау to become cheaper
қымбат expensive қымбаттау to become more expensive

Present and future tense for transitive verbs

The verbal predicate in the indicative mood conjugates for tense as well as number and person, which is expressed by endings added before the personal endings. In this lesson we'll look at the present and future tenses. They have the same markers and indicate action that is ongoing or expected to take place in the future. The markers are -а/е~й.
(*this tense corresponds to both the present continuous "i am doing" and the present simple "i do" tenses of English)
-а/е is added to roots ending in a consonant
-й(и) " " " " " " " " " vowel:
-и comes after roots ending in ы/і, because the combinations ый/ій are written и (which is pronounced ый/ій anyway):
оқы+й>оқи

Personal and plural suffixes are added after this ending.

Singular
мен жасамын I write
сен жазасың you write
сіз жазасыз you write
ол жазады he writes

Plural
біз жазамыз we write
сендер жазасыңдар you write
сіздер жазасыздар you write
олар жазады they write

Take note: the 3rd person ending for both singular and plural is -ды/ді. This suffix is only added to verbs.
The syllable preceding the personal endings takes the stress: жазАды, келЕмін, ойлАйды
Now we take a look at the structure of sentences with a verbal predicate. In colloquial speech or poetic language word order can be more flexible. However no words are allowed to come between an adjective and the noun it modifies. For verbs this would be the adverb, which in most cases is the same form as its corresponding adjective in Kazakh:

жылдам fast, quickly
жақсы good, well
жаман bad, badly

Adverbs answer the question қалай? how?
Қалай демалады? How does he relax? (Rus. отдыхает)
Жақсы демалады. He relaxes well

Time expressions may also be included in a sentence. They usually come at the very beginning of a sentence, or after the subject. They answer the question қашан? when?

Temporal adverbs:

бүгін today
ертең tomorrow
бүгін-ертең in the next few days, today or tomorrow
кешке in the evening
таңертең early in the morning
кейде sometimes
күндіз during the day

Sentence structure
Temporal adverb (or adverb of place) - adjective-subject - temporal adverb - direct object - adverb-predicate
қашан? when? - кім? who?/не? what? - қашан? when? - кімді? who(m)?/нені? what? - не істейді? what is it doing?
________ - Бұл студент - __________ - кітап - оқиды - ма?
________ - This student - __________ - book - reads - ?
Бүгін - мен - __________ - жұмыс - істеймін - ____
Today - I - __________ - work - do - ____

The direct object may be either in the nominative or accusative case, but as we still haven't covered the accusative we'll just take a look at the first instance. The direct object is usually placed between the subject and predicate.

Exercise 1
Conjugate the following verbs:
алу (to take), келу (to come), жеу (to eat), ішу (to drink), сөйлеу (to speak), ойлау (to think), шығу (to exit)

Exercise 2
Translate to English
1) Ол жұмыс жаман істейді. 2) Мен ет жеймін. 3) Мәрзия шай ішеді. 4) Бүгін сен демалысың ба? 5) Осы студенттер жақсы оқиды. 6) Сендер не істейсіңдер? 7) Ғалым кітап жазады. 8 ) Біз жазамыз. 9) Мен хат жазамын. 10) Сіз жақсы айтасыз. 11) Ол ертең оқулық әкеледі. 12) Сіздер қашан жұмыс істейсіздер ме? 13) Мен бүгін-ертең келемін. 14) Сен қашан барасың. 15) Сіз не жейсіз? 16) Сіз қашан арзандайды. 17) Таңертең ұйықтаймын мүмкін. 18 ) Біз хат жазамыз. 19) Нан арзандайды. 20) Сен сүт ішесің бе? 21) Ол қалай демалады?

Exercise 3
Translate to Kazakh
1) I speak. 2) Kalybek (Калыбек) works today. 3) He will probably work. 4) I will go in the evening. 5) Are you writing a letter? 6) You(polite) are sleeping. 7) I sometimes work in the evening. 8 ) Tomorrow he will bring a notebook. 9) Alright, I will come. 10) What are you reading? 11) You speak correctly. 12) How does he speak?

Words for the exercises:
дұрыс correct right
әкелу to bring
демалу to rest take a break
келу to come
нан bread
сүт milk

Extra words:
айту to speak
ет meat
ұйықтау to sleep
хат letter

Dialogues

-Сен қашан жұмыс істейсің? When do you work?
-Мен таңертең істеймін. I work in the morning.
-Ал мен күндіз істеймін. And/as for me (Rus. "а") I work during the day.
-Таңертең не істейсің? What do you do in the morning?
-Таңертең демаламын. Кейде жұмыс істеймін. I rest in the morning. Sometimes I work.

-Сен оқисың ба? Do you study?
-Оқимын I study
-Сен ше? And/what about you?
-Мен жұмыс істеймін. I work.

-Хатшы не істейді. What does the secretary do/what is the secretary doing?
-Хатшы жазады. The secretary writes/is writing.

The question particle ша/ше is used when repeating a question: Сіз жазушысыз ба? Сіз ше? - Are you a writer? - And you?

Сау болыңыз - Goodbye! ("be healthy")

zhiguli

Postby zhiguli » 2007-09-30, 8:17

Lesson 5
Бесінші сабақ

Imperative mood
The informal singular imperative form is the root of the verb: әкел bring (it), сал put it down, аш open. The polite form is created by means of suffixes:
-ыңыз/іңіз~-ңыз/ңіз
-ыңыз/іңіз are added to roots ending in consonants (final п, к, қ turn into б, г, ғ)
-ңыз/ңіз are added to roots ending in vowels.
The plural forms are formed by adding the plural suffix. In the simple (informal) form there is also the ending -ың/ің~ң, which is added to the root following the same rules as -ыңыз/іңіз~ңыз/ңіз
-ың/ің is added to consonant-final roots
-ң " " " " vowel-final roots

Singular
жаз "write"
жазыңыз (polite)
Plural
жазыңдар (informal)
жазыңыздар (polite)

The suffixe -шы/ші may also be added to the imperative. They add further "imperativeness" (urging the action to be completely quickly)
айтшы say it
берші give it
әкеліңізші bring it

Learn the following expressions
ғафу ет(іңіз) excuse me/sorry
айып етпе(ңіз) don't take it the wrong way (Rus. не обессудьте)
кешір(іңіз) excuse me/sorry

мен кінәлімін it's my fault
оқасы жоқ not at all, never mind
ештеме етпес it's nothing (Rus. ничего страшного)

кіріңіз please come in
төрлетіңіз come to the place of honour
бері кел come here

жоғары шық come in, make yourself comfortable

сау/қош болыңыз goodbye (be healthy)
сау/қош бол bye

тым жылдам айту they speak too fast
сәл баяу айту speak a little more slowly

New verbs:

оқу [оқы] - to read
жазу - to write
айту - to speak
жауап беру - to answer
түсіну - to understand

кіру - to enter
шығу - to exit
тоқтау - to stop
қысылу - to be shy/embarrassed
ашу - to open
бекіту - to close, fasten, decide
қыдыру - to walk/wander
шақыру - to call
қарау - to look
көру - to see
білу - to know
кездесу - to meet

Use of the verb ашу

терезе ашу - to open the window
мәжіліс ашу - to open a meeting/session
мектеп ашу - to open school
есеп шот ашу - to open an account
ауыз ашу - to open one's mouth
сыр ашу - to open up (with one's feelings etc)

Use of the verb бекіту

есік бекіту - to close the door
ат бекіту - to hobble a horse
бюджет бекіту - to pass a budget
тақта бекіту - to fasten/secure a board
дене бекіту - to strengthen one's body
бұрап бекіту - to tighten screws

Use of the verb шақыру

кері шақыру to recall/call back (Rus. позвать обратно)
қонақ шақыру to invite guests
дәрігер шақыру to call the doctor

Exercise 1
Translate to English
келіңіз, оқышы, келші, бері кел, тоқтаңдар, қараңызшы, төрлетіңіз, аударыңыз, шығыңдар, жоғары шығыңыз, ашыңыз, бекітіңіз.

Exercise 2
Form the imperative mood of any of 10 verbs that you know

Negative aspect

The verbal predicate, like the nominal predicate, has negative forms. In English "not" is used to negate a verb. In Kazakh a suffix is used - -ма/ме~-ба/бе~-па/пе. It comes directly after the root, before the tense/person markers. The assimilation rules for the initial м/б/п are the same as for the question particle/1st person personal endings.
Examples:
ойлаймын i think - ойламаймын i don't think
тыңдайсың you listen - тыңдамайсың you don't listen
жазасыздар you write - жазбайсыздар you don't write

The negative imperative is formed in the same way:
әкелме don't bring
жазбаңыз don't write
тоқтамаңдар don't stop
әуреленбеңіз don't worry

Pronouns that are direct objects are put into the accusative case. Memorize the following accusative pronouns:
мені me бізді us
сені you сендерді you
сізді you сіздерді you
оны him/her/it оларды them

Examples:
Мен сені көрмедім I didn't see you
Біз сізді түсінеміз We understand you
Бүгін сені шақырамын I'll call you today

Exercise 4
Translate to English
1) Бүгін ауа райы тамаша. Біз қыдырамыз. 2) Мен сені шақырмаймын. 3) Сен мені түсінбейсің бе? Сен тым жылдам айтасың. 4) Мен хат жазбаймын. 5) Біз кездеспейміз. 6) Мені күтпейсіздер ме? 7) Енді біз жиі кездесеміз. 8 ) Кейде сені көремін. 9) Ол мені сүйеді екен. 10) Күнбе-күн жаңбыр жауады. 11) Жаңбыр жаумайды. 12) Біз оларды шақырмаймыз. 13) Сені көрмеймін. 14) Оны түсінбейсің бе? 15) Енді сирек кездесеміз. 17) Оны түсінемін. 18 ) Мені білесің бе? 19) Бізді күтпеңіз. 20) Оны шақырма. 21) Сен мені күтесің бе? 22) Есеп шот ашыңызшы. 23) Дәрігер шақырыңдаршы! 24) Мемлекет бюджетті бекітеді. 25) Сәл баяу айтыңыз 26) Ол сені біледі екен. 27) Қараңыз! Күн ашық. Ауа райы қандай тамаша! 28 ) Енді мен жұмыс істемеймін.

Exercise 5
Translate to English
1) Today the weather is beautiful. 2) Today we probably won't work. 3) Don't you study in the evening? 4) Why don't you call Kalybek? 5) From day to day we work. 6) Don't speak quickly 7) Won't you meet (each other)? 8 ) Are you acquainted? 9) We rarely work in the morning. 10) I love her. 11) I don't understand you. 12) I don't know you (polite) 13) I won't wait for you. 14) Don't write (polite). 15) What beautiful weather there is today. Shall we go walking? 16) I don't know him. 17) Don't drink. 18 ) What are you looking at? 19) He speaks very fast. 20) I don't know him. 21) Today it isn't raining. The weather is very good.

Exercise 6
Fill in the missing letters and translate
1) Ауа райы қ_ндай тамаша. 2) Айгүл, нан әк_лші. 3) Жа_ан беріңізш_. 4) Қысыл_аңыз, т_рлетіңіз! 5) Ға_у етіңіз. Сіз Тимурс_з ба?

Words to the exercises

күту to wait
сүю to love
ауа райы the weather
тамана beautiful
хат letter
жаңбыр rain
қар snow
жауу to fall (rain/snow)
сирек rarely
жиі often

Dialogues

-Даурен, мен кінәлімін, ғафу етші Dauren, it's my fault, sorry
-Оқасы жоқ It's alright

-Кешіріңіз, Алма емессіз бе? Excuse me, you're not Alma are you?
-Жоқ No

-Ғафу етіңіз, сіз Әлімсіз бе? Excuse me, are you Älim?
-Иә, бұл мен Yes, that's me

-Сен Насыровты білесің бе? Ол парасатты ма? Do you know Nasyrov? Is he intelligent/sensible? (Rus. толковый)
-Білемін. Ол парасатты және адал адам I know him. He's a sensible and honest person

-Мен сені түсінбеймін. Сәл баяу айтшы I don't understand you. Speak a little slower
-Жарайды Alright/OK

-Сәлеметсіз бе, Игорь. Төрлетіңіз, қысылмаңыз Hello, Igor. Please come in, don't be shy
-Рақмет Thank you

Homework

Write out all the new words in this lesson. Create dialogues and sentences with them

Сау болыңыз - Goodbye!

zhiguli

Postby zhiguli » 2007-09-30, 9:00

The next installment of the mailing list there are a few items.

How to use the verbs ғафу ет- and кешір-
Both of these words mean "to forgive": ғафу етіңіз, кешіріңіз "i'm sorry" ("forgive me"), but ғафу ет- is more formal and...high-blown? ("высокопарный"). Thus it is rarely used in common speech, and кешір- is used instead.

www.qazaqtili.narod.ru (the site this mailing list is affiliated with) has been updated (as of Sept 2004...) though looking at the site now, I can't seem to find the forum, or some of the other new stuff they mention.
The site itself uses a very antiquated encoding for the Kazakh that requires a special font. I don't understand why they don't use Unicode but so it is...
for those of you who don't want to bother with installing the font here is a short "conversion table" for the letters that don't show up correctly:

ќ = қ
ђ = ұ
ѓ = ғ
ѕ = ә
њ = ң
љ = ө
џ = ү
ћ = һ

I may contact the site owners in the future, but for now here is their address if you wish to contact them yourselves: qazaqtili@mail.ru

I thought it might be useful to go over the consonant assimilations again, once you know them, they always work the same way for all suffixes that begin with the same consonant:

м/б/п (question particle ма)
ма after vowels and р, й, л, у
ба after ж, з, м, н, ң
па after voiceless consonants and б, в, г, д

л/д/т (plural suffix лар)
-лар after vowels and р, й, у
-дар after ж, з, л, м, н, ң
-тар after voiceless consonants and б, в, г, д

So the only difference is that л is put in the second group rather than the first

And some new ones we haven't encountered yet:

д/т (locative suffix да)
-да vowels and voiced consonants (other than б, в, г, д which are devoiced at the ends of words anyway)
-та voiceless consonants and б, в, г, д.
кітапта in the book
қалада in the city
тілде in the language/tongue

г/ғ/к/қ (dative suffix ға)
the rules are the same as above, but г/к are only used with front-vowel words and ғ/қ with back vowels.
кітапқа to the book
қалаға to the city
тілге to the language/tongue

It's also worth mentioning that these changes can also occur *within* a morpheme, which causes changes in loan words:

аспан from persian âsmân "sky"
молда < mollâ "mullah"
келде < kalle "head"

Another thing that deserves mention that hasn't been mentioned in the lessons is labial vowel harmony.

words like орын, тойды, өмір, үміт, etc that have ы/і after a labial vowel (о/ө and ұ/ү) change to ұ/ү in speech, something that is not reflected in the spelling:

орын > орұн
тойды > тойдұ
өмір > өмүр
үміт > үмүт

е also gets pronounces ө if it comes after ө/ү:
өлең > өлөң
күрек > күрөк
көрсе > көрсө "if one sees" (tr. görse)

zhiguli

Postby zhiguli » 2007-10-02, 15:04

Lesson 6
Алтыншы сабақ

Hello!

Today we begin with a question that's already been asked a few times on this mailing list and on the forum ___: how to say "please" in Kazakh? Strictly speaking there is no word in Kazakh that corresponds exactly to it. If you ask someone to do something, you can add the suffix -шы/ші to the imperative:
әкеліңізші - please bring it
аударшы - please translate
қайталап жіберіңізші - please translate it

You can also use the verb өтіну to ask (Rus. просить)
Мен сенен өтінемін I ask you
Мен сізден өтінемін I ask you

The verb өтіну governs the ablative case (in which сіз and сен have been placed) but we haven't covered this yet, so just memorize these phrases.

When answering "thank you" you may say мархабат, but often a phrase with a similar meaning is used instead. For example оқасы жоқ - not at all, or, "о, не дегеніңіз" "what are you saying/what do you mean".

Now a little comment about the word екен. As mentioned, it takes personal endings. If the predicate is a verb, then it stands in the third person form, and the personal endings get attached to екен:
Сіз жақсы биледі екенсіз - You (it appears) dance very well
In interrogative sentences екен comes after the question particle:
бар ма екен? is there (or not?)

And now today's topic -

Personal possessive endings.

In Kazakh nouns can take possessive endings, which show to whom something belongs. For example:

Person Singular Plural
1st менің алма-м my apple біздің алма-мыз our apple
2nd сенің алма-ң your apple сендердің алма-лары-ң
2nd сіздің алма-ңыз your apple сіздердің алма-лары-ңыз
3rd оның алма-сы his apple олардың алма-сы their apple

The endings are as follows

After consonants / after vowels
My -м / -ым/ім
our -мыз/міз / -ымыз/іміз
your (informal) -ң / -ың/ің
your (pl.) -ларың/лерің
your (formal) -ңыз/ңіз / -ыңыз/іңіз
your (pl.) -ларыңыз/-леріңіз
his/her/its/their -сы/сі / -ы/і

Note - the л of the plural ending -лар changes according to the final letter of the root. In the table only the form beginning with -л is given.

Words that end in п, к, or қ become the voiced consonants б, г, ғ when adding vowel-initial suffixes:
кітап book кітабым my book
шөп grass шөбі his grass
аяқ foot аяғыңыз your foot
еңбек work/labour еңбегі his work

Some words with a final ы/і delete this vowel when adding suffixes:
ауыз > аузым
орын > орным
халық > халқы

This pertains to words with the sound pattern -VCы/іC. Not all words with this pattern undergo this change - бауыр > бауырым, though in this position the unstressed ы/і are so short that they practically disappear in pronunciation: баурым

Compare the possessive suffixes with the personal endings for verbs and the personal endings for the imperative. Notice that in verbs the personal endings come before the plural marker, while in the possessive suffixes it's the other way around.

The possessive suffixes also take the stress, in contrast to the verb endings: оқушЫмыз we are students but оқушымЫз our student

Memorize the separate possessive pronouns (менің, сенің) given in the table above. In Kazakh words with possessive endings are used much more often than their equivalents (noun with personal pronouns in the genitive case) in Russian. This is reminiscent of the situation in English, where the words "my", "your", "his" are used much more than in Russian. (?)

Kinship terms and the names of body parts are usually not used without possessive suffixes:

шеше mom ("мама")
ана mother
әке father
іні younger brother
аға older brother
сіңлі, қарындас younger sister
апа older sister, aunt, mom, polite address to older women
әже grandmother
ата grandfather
немере grandchild
ұл son
қыз daughter
күйеу husband
әйел wife, woman

When addressing a person the following words can be used:
ата "grandfather" to an old man
ақсақал "aksakal" polite address to an old man
аға(й) "older brother", "uncle" to a man who is somewhat older
апа "aunt", "older sister" to a woman who is somewhat older
қарындас "sister" used by a man to a young woman
бикеш "lady" polite address to a young woman
қарағым, шырағым "dear" a term of endearment for someone who is younger
балам "my child"
қызым "my little girl"

Unlike English, these are placed after the person's name: Мұқтар аға - "Uncle" Muqtar; Айжан апай "Aunt" Ayzhan, etc.
There is also the Persian term of endearment жан "soul", which is suffixed to the name: Айгүл - Айгүлжан.

Parts of the body:
бас head
шаш hair
қас eyebrow
көз eye
қол arm
аяқ leg

Exercise 1
Form the possessive forms of the following words
ағаш, ұл, өмір, әке, ата, су, кітап

Exercise 2
Translate to English
1) Менің әкем суретші. 2) Ұлың оқыды ма? 3) Басым ауырады. 4) Шашы қара. 5) Менің әйелім жұмыс істемейді. 6) Мынау досыңыз ба? 7) Немереміз әлі оқымайды. 8 ) Қолың ауырады ма? 9) Кешке досыңыз келеді ме? 10) Анау кітабым ба? 11) Сіңлісі оқушы екен. 12) Сенің жолдасың кім? 13) Неге жолдасы қайтпайды? 14) Әжем істемейді. 15) Үйіміз жақсы емес. 16) Ұйықтама! 17) Қарындасыңыз кім? 18 ) Қызың хатшы ма? 19) Әкеңіз кәсіпкер емес пе? 20) Қолыңыз ауырады ма? 21) Бөлмеңіз жарық па?

Exercise 3
Translate to Kazakh
1) My son is a student. 2) Her younger brother is a doctor. 3) My older brother isn't coming during the day. 4) Our house is not very big. 5) Is your notebook green? 6) Is your father an artist? 7) Is your room dark? 8 ) Why is your friend/acquaintance not coming? 9) Is his son a student? 10) My mother is a teacher. 11) Our city is big. 12) What is needed? 13) Is this person your friend? 14) We are acquainted. 15) I'm very glad.

Exercise 4
Translate to English
Отан деген немене
Отан - сенің ата-анаң
Отан - досың, бауырың
Отан - өлкең, астанаң,
Отан аудан, ауылың
Бүркіт Ысқақов

vocabulary:
отан - fatherland/motherland/homeland/native land
деген - means
немене - what
астана - capital
аудан - province, raion
ауыл - village, aul

Memorize the following expressions with possessive suffixes:

Атыңыз кім? What is your name?
Есіміңіз кім? What is your name?
Фамилияңыз кім? What is your last name?
Ұлтыңыз кім? What is your nationality?
Хал-жағдайыңыз қалай? How are you?
(Жұмыс) жағдайларыңыз қалай? How are things (at work)?
Мал-жаныңыз аман ба? How is everyone (is everybody healthy *actually this translates as "is your livestock healthy")?
Бала-шағаларыңыз аман ба? How is your family?
Хал қалай? How are you? (хал = condition)
Халіңіз қалай? How are you?
Денсаулығыңыз қалай? How is your health?
Ойдағыдай Everything is fine
Орташа Middling
Жақсы Good
Өте жақсы Very good
Тамаша Wonderful
Бұрынғыдай Same as before
Шамалап Not good (Rus. "неважно")
Өзгеріссіз Like always
Не десем екен? How to say...
Құдай деп Thank God
Рақмет, өте жақсы Very good, thanks
Аяғың жеңіл екен Speak of the devil (lit. your foot [it appears] is light!)

Remember:

The reflexive pronoun өзім also changes according to person:

өзім I myself
өзің you yourself
өзіңіз you yourself
өзі he himself

Formation of verbs

ұйқы dream > ұйықтау to sleep
би dance > билеу to dance

Conversation practice

-Сәлеметсіз бе, Руслан. Хал-жағдайыңыз қалай? Hello, Ruslan? How are things?
-Өте жақсы рақмет! Very good, thanks!

-Сәлем, Саят! Hi, Sayat!
-Сәлем, Еркін! Hi, Erkin
-Хал қалай? How are you?
-Ойдағыдай, рақмет. Fine, thanks.

-Есен-саусыз ба? Мал-жаныңыз аман ба? Hello! How is everything?
-Нашар. Ұлым ауырады. Not great. My son is ill.

-Аман-есенсіз бе Hello
-Жақсымысыз. Жағдайыңыз қалай? Hello ("are you well")? How are things?
-Жақсы. Өзіңіз аман-есенсіз бе? Fine and yourself ("are you yourselves healthy")?
-Айтарлықтай емес So-so

-Есенбісіз! Денсаулығыңыз қалай Hello! How is your health?
-Жаман емес. Өзіңіз аман-есенсіз бе? Not bad. And yours?
-Жақсы Good

-Сәлем, Бақытжан! Аяғың жеңіл екен. Хал-жағдайың қалай? Hi, Baqytjan! Speak of the devil. How are things?
-Жақсы. Өзің аман-есенсің бе? Good, yourself?
-Жаман емес Not bad

-Кешіріңіз, есіміңіз кім? Excuse me, what is your name?
-Есімім Қасен. My name is Qasen.

-Оның ұлты кім? What is his nationality?
-Ол орыс. He is Russian.

-Кешіріңізші, ұлтыныз кім? Excuse me, what's your nationality?
-Мен қазақпын. I am Kazakh.

-Денсаулығыңыз қалай? How is your health?
-Шамалап. Басым ауырады. Not good. I have a headache ("my head aches")

Exercise 5
Translate to English
1) Сіз ақынсыз ба? 2) Сен қуаныштысың ба? 3) Мен сондай қуаныштымын. 4) Бұл жігіт неміс пе? 5) Сіз кәсіпкер емессіз бе? 6) Мен Ержановпын. 7) Шалбар тым үлкен. 8 ) Сен орыссың ба? 9) Мен қазақпын. 10) Мен өзбекпін. 11) Ол ағылшын емес. 12) Мен сатушымын. 13) Ол өте тәжірибелі маман екен. 14) Сіз ең жақсы ұшқышсың. 15) Айгүл ең сұлу қыз. 16) Мен студентпін. 17) Сіз қазақсыз ба? 18 ) Ол тым жас жігіт. 19) Сол кісі үлкен ғалым. 20) Шалбар қара ма?

Exercise 6
Fill in the missing suffixes.
1) Мен оның ұлы... . 2) Сенің күйеу... дәрігер ме? 3) Сен оны жақсы біледі екен... . 4) Сіз неге көңілсіз...? 5) Өз... аман-есенсіз бе? 6) Сен өте жақсы биледі екен... . 7) Біздің ұл... оқиды.

Answers to the exercises

Exercise 1

[spoiler]ағаш: ағашым, ағашың, ағашыңыз, ағашы, ағашымыз, ағаштарың, ағаштарыңыз
ұл: ұлым, ұлың, ұлыңыз, ұлы, ұлымыз, ұлдарың, ұлдарыңыз
өмір: өмірім, өмірің, өміріңіз, өмірі, өміріміз, өмірлерің, өмірлеріңіз
әке: әкем, әкең, әкеңіз, әкесі, әкеміз, әкелерің, әкелеріңіз
су: суым, суың, суыңыз, суы, суымыз, суларың, суларыңыз
кітап: кітабым, кітабың, кітабыңыз, кітабы, кітабымыз, кітаптарың, кітаптарыңыз.[/spoiler]

Exercise 2

[spoiler]1) My father is an artist. 2) Does your son study? 3) My head hurts. 4) He has black hair. 5) My wife doesn't work. 6) Is this your friend? 7) Our grandson still doesn't study. 8 ) Does your hand hurt? 9) Will your friends come in the evening? 10) Is this my book? 11) Your sister (it turns out) is a (school) student. 12) Who is your friend? 13) Why doesn't his friend return? 14) My grandmother doesn't work 15) Our house is not far. 16) Don't sleep! 17) Who is your sister? 18 )Is your daughter a secretary? 19) Isn't your father a business owner? 20) Does your hand hurt? 21) Is your room light?[/spoiler]

Exercise 3

[spoiler]1) Ұлым студент. 2) Оның інісі дәрігер. 3) Ағам күндіз келмейді. 4) Үйіміз өте үлкен емес. 5) Дәптеріңіз жасыл ма? 6) Әкең суретші ме? 7) Бөлмең қараңғы ма? 8 ) Жоласың неге келмейді? 9) Ұлы студент пе? 10) Шешем ұстаз. 11) Қаламыз үлкен. 12) Не керек (еді)? 13) Бұ кісі досыңыз ба? 14) Біз таныспыз. 15) Мен өте қуаныштымын.[/spoiler]

Exercise 4

[spoiler]What does "homeland" mean
Homeland is your parents
Homeland is your friend, your relative (The Russian translation gives "сверстник" = "coeval")
Homeland is your land, your capital
Homeland is your province, your village.[/spoiler]

Exercise 5

[spoiler]1) Are you a poet? 2) Are you glad? 3) I'm so glad. 4) Is this young man German? 5) Aren't you a business owner? 6) I'm Erzhanov. 7) The pantks are too big. 8 ) Are you Russian? 9) I'm Kazakh. 10) I'm Uzbek. 11) He isn't English. 12) I'm an artist. 13) He (it turns out) is a very experienced specialist. 14) You're the best pilot. 15) Aygül is the most beautiful girl. 16) I'm a student. 17) Are you Kazakh? 18 ) He's a very (too) young man. 19) That man is a great scholar. 20) Are the pants black?[/spoiler]

Exercise 6
Fill in the missing suffixes.
[spoiler]1) Мен оның ұлымын. (I am his son. 2) Сенің күйеуіңіз дәрігер ме? (Is your husband a doctor?) 3) Сен оны жақсы біледі екенсің (You [it turns out] know him well. 4) Сіз неге көңілсізсіз? (Why are you unhappy?) 5) Өзіңіз аман-есенсіз бе? (How are you [yourself]?) 6) Сен өте жақсы биледі екенсің (You [it turns out] dance very well) 7) Біздің ұлымыз оқиды (Our son studies)[/spoiler]

Vocabulary

шеше mom
ана mother
ата-ана parents
әке father
іні younger brother
аға older brother
сіңлі, қарындас younger sister
апа older sister, aunt, mom, form of address used with older women
әже grandmother
ата grandfather
немере grandchild
ұл son
қыз daughter
бас head
шаш hair
көз eye
қол arm
аяқ leg
ауыру болеть
денсаулық health
ат name
есім name
ұлт nationality
дос friend
әлі еще
жолдас friend (товарищ приятель)
ойдағыдай everything's fine все хорошо, как задумывалось
қайт to return
неге why?
күйеу husband
әйел woman/wife

Көріскенше Goodbye

zhiguli

Postby zhiguli » 2007-10-04, 1:47

Lesson 7
Жетінші сабақ

Hello! Today's lesson:
The past tense.

In this lesson we'll take a look at another tense - the past tense. It describes an action that took place not long ago or an action that was witnessed by the speaker. Its ending is -ды/ді~-ты/ті
-ды/ді after words ending in vowels or voiced consonants
-ты/ті after words ending in voiceless consonants (*and б/в/г/д)
The personal endings for this tense are slightly different than the ones used with different tenses. They are closer to the personal possessive suffixes:
мен кел-ді-м i came
сен кел-ді-ң you came
сіз кел-ді-ңіз you came
ол кел-ді he came
біз кел-ді-к we came
сендер кел-ді-ң-дер you came
сіз кел-ді-ңіз-дер you came
олар кел-ді they came

The endings are the following
Person - back vowel / front vowel
1st person - -м
2nd person - -ң
2nd person - -ңыз / -ңіз
3rd person - (no ending)
1st p pl. - -қ / -к
2nd p pl. - -ңдар / -ңдер
2nd p pl. - -ңыздар / -ңіздер
3rd p pl. - (no ending)

Notice how the plural marker comes after the personal ending in verbs, but before the personal ending with nouns/possessive suffixes:

бар-а-сың-дар you (pl) go
оқушы-сың-дар you are students
оқушы-лар-ың your students

Memorize the following expressions with салу (to place, put)
әйнек салу to install/put in glass
еден салу to floor/lay a floor
жол салу to build/lay a road
үй салу to build a house
ән салу to compose a song
ой салу to give one's opinion (Rus. подать мысль)**
зер салу to pay attention to smth

Memorize the following expressions with жеу (to eat)
нан жеу to eat bread
уайым жеу to worry
тепкі жеу to hit one's foot
... туралы қам жеу to worry about ...

Exercise 1
Translate to English
аштық, келдім, шықтыңыз, салдың, жеді, ішті, бардым, кірдім, айттыңыздар

Exercise 2
Translate to English
1) Мен сені көрмедім. 2) Сені түсіндім. 3) Биыл егін жақсы шықты. 4) Ағам ағаш кесті. 5) Көз әйнек сынды. 6) Нан кестім. 7) Сүт құыдыңыз ба? 8 ) Мен шай іштім. 9) Олар шықты ма? 10) Былтыр келдіңіздер ме? 11) Терезе аштыңдар ма? 12) Есік сәл жаптым. 13) Емтихандарды тапсырдың ба? 14) Кеше ұлым қайтты. 15) Жаңа көйлек сатып алдыңыз ба? 16) Әсем еден жуды. 17) Көйлек жудың ба. 18 ) Біз қалдық. 19) Нан алдың ба? 20) Сіз кірдіңіз бе? 21) Күн батты. 22) Кешке күн батады. 23) Сен әжең туралы қам же! 24) Әйнек сынды. 25) Біз кеше келдік. 26) Айна сынмады. 27) Біз еден салдық. 28 ) Биыл жұмысшылер жаңа жол салды. 29) Сен жақсы ән салдың. 30) Былтыр жаңа үй салдық. 31) Жақсы ой салдыңыз! 32) Бұл ой дұрыс емес. 33) Сіз кіресіз бе? 34) Бос уақытым жоқ. 35) Мен шықтым. 36) Уайым жемеңіз. 37) Алақай, қонақ келді 38 ) Зер сал! 39) Дәрігерді шақырдым.

Exercise 3
Translate to Kazakh
1) He didn't stop by. 2) Today I wrote an exam. 3) Yesterday my younger brother bought new pants. 4) He wrote a good song. 5) The house turned out well. 6) I received a kick. 7) Open the window a little. 8 ) My friend returned yesterday. 9) Who went out? 10) Did you wash the pants? 11) My glasses got broken. 12) Who broke the mirror? 13) Did you pour the milk? 14) I didn't understand. 15) What did he say? 16) Did you write the exam? 17) Who remained? 18 ) We put in the new carpet. 19) The workers returned 20) Did you not understand us? 21) Do you have free time? 22) I take care of my younger brother. 23) Renat, did you buy bread?

Memorize the expressions:

Қабағы түсіп кетті He's angry/irritated (Rus. недоволен, рассержен) (lit. his brow fell)
Қабағың неге түсіп кетті? Why are you in a bad mood
Қош келдің(із)(дер) Welcome!

Dialogues:

-Сен бүгін қыдырасың ба? Are you going for a walk today?
-Жоқ. No.
-Неге? Ауа райы тамаша. Why not? The weather is beautiful.
-Бос уақытым жоқ. I don't have any free time.

-Күндіз не істейсің? What will you be doing during the day?
-Жұмыс істеймін. I will be working.
-Ал кешке бос уақытың бар ма? Will you have free time in the evening?
-Бар. Yes.
-Өте жақсы. Very good.

-Василий қашан қайтты? When did Vasiliy come back?
-Кеше мүмкін. Мен оны бүгін көрдім. Probably yesterday. I saw him today.

-Сен емтихан тапсырдың ба? Did you take an exam?
-Тапсырдым. Yes.
-Сен ше? And you?
-Бүгін тапсырамын. I will today.

-Болат, қабағың неге түсіп кетті. Bolat, why are you in a bad mood.
-Басым ауырды. My head started aching.
-Тез жазыл. Get well soon.

-Мұрат, нан әкелші - Murat, bring some bread
-Әкелдім. Міне I did ("I brought"). Here (you go)
-Жарайды. Рақмет. Good. Thank you.

Answers to the exercises

Exercise 2
[spoiler]1) I didn't see you. 2) I understood you. 3) This year the harvest was good. 4) (older) brother cut the tree. 5) The glasses got broken. 6) I cut(sliced) the bread. 7) Did you pour the milk? 8 ) I drank tea. 9) Did they go out? 10) Did you arrive last year? 11) Did you open the window? 12) I opened the door slightly. 13) Did you write exams? 14) My son returned yesterday. 15) Did you buy new clothes? 16) Äsem washed the floor. 17) Did you wash the clothes? 18 ) We remained. 19) Did you buy bread? 20) Did you enter? 21) The sun set. 22) The sun will set in the evening. 23) Take care of your grandmother! 24) The glasses got broken. 25) We came yesterday. 26) The mirror did not break. 27) We laid the floor. 28 ) This year the workers laid a new road. 29) You wrote a good song. 30) Last year we built a new house. 31) You gave a good suggestion/idea. 32) This idea is wrong. 34) Will you come by? 34) I don't have free time. 35) I went out. 36) Don't be sad. 37) Oh, the guests have come. 38 ) Pay attention! 39) I called the doctor.[/spoiler]

Exercise 3
[spoiler]1) Ол кірмеді. 2) Бүгін емтихан тапсырдым. 3) Кеше інім жаңа шалбар сатып алды. 4) Ол жақсы ән салды. 5) Үй жақсы шықты. 6) Мен тепкі жедім. 7) Терезе(ні) сәл жапты. 8 ) Досым кеше қайтты. 9) Кім шықты? 10) Сен шалбар жудың ба? 11) Көзілдірігім сынды. 12) Кім айна сындырды? 13) Сүт құйдыңыз ба? 14) Түсінбедім. 15) Ол не айтты? 16) Емтихан тапсырдың ба? 17) Кім қалды? 18 ) Жаңа кілем салдық. 19) Жұмыстылар қайтты. 20) Сен бізді түсінбедің бе? 21) Бос уақытың бар ма? 22) Мен інім туралы қам жеймін 23) Ренат, сен нан сатып алдың ба?[/spoiler]

Vocabulary

сатып алу to buy
кірау to enter, come in
шығу to exit, go out
кеше yesterday
былтыр last year
биыл this year
егін harvest
қалу to remain
емтихан exam
тапсыру entrust, give to, hand over, give an assignment to
кесу to cut
нан bread
құю to pour
сүт milk
жабу to close
көйлек shirt dress
жуу wash, clean
еден floor еден салу to floor, put in flooring
бату to set (about the sun), to drown, sink
көз әйнек eyeglasses
сыну to develep (intransitive)
салу to put place
жұмысшы worker
жол салу to lay a road
үй салу to build a house
ән song
ән салу to compose a song
ой thought
уақыт time
бос уақыт free time
алақай oh, oy
көзілдірік eyeglasses
сындыру to break/smash

Сау болыңыздар! - Goodbye!

zhiguli

Postby zhiguli » 2007-10-07, 8:04

Lesson 8
Сегізінші сабақ

Plural possessive

In the sixth lesson we looked at the personal possessive suffixes with singular possessed objects. The plural of such forms is the plural suffix that precedes the personal endings:

1st p sg. алма-лар-ым my apples
2nd p sg. алма-лар-ың your apples
2nd p sg. алма-лар-ыңыз your apples
3rd p sg. алма-лар-ы his apples
1st p pl. алма-лар-ымыз our apples
2nd p pl. алма-лар-ың your apples
2nd p pl. алма-лар-ыңыз your apples
3rd p pl. алма-лар-ы their apples

The separate possessive pronouns do not change for number: біздің our, сенің your.

Using the possessive suffixes one can create phrases of the "he has/doesn't have x" type:

word-personal suffix + бар/жоқ

Examples:
менің інім жоқ i don't have a brother (lit. "my brother isn't")
менің пікірім бар i have an idea ("my idea exists")
сенің көптеген достарың көп you have many friends ("your many-numbered friends are many")
бос уақытым жоқ i have no free time ("my free time isn't")

These phrases can all be used as adjectives. In this case they can be translated as "having/not having something"

ықпалы бар адам influential man ("influence-having man")
баласы жоқ адам childless man ("child-not-having man")
пайдасы жоқ жұмыс unprofitable work
миы жоқ адам brainless man ("his brain lacking man")

The meaning of these constructions can also be conveyed by adjectives with the suffix -лы/лі~-ды/ді~ты/ті (the consonant assimilation rules are the same as for the plural suffix) or -сыз/сіз. They are very productive suffixes. They can be added to practically all nouns

бала - балалы having children баласыз not having children (childless)
абырой - абыройлы authoritative абыройсыз without authority
қол қолды having hands қолсыз handless

In general adjectives are used much more than бар/жоқ constructions. In future lessons we'll take a closer look at these.

Basically any other adjectives can be used instead of бар/жоқ. Let's look at an example:
мінезі шапшаң жігіт young man with a hurried nature
шашы ұзын қыз girl with long hair

Negative pronouns

The negative pronouns are created with the word еш:

кім who? ешкім nobody
не what? ештеңе, ешнәрсе nothing
қандай what kind of? ешқандай no kind
қайда where? ешқайда nowhere

Memorize the following expressions with the negative pronouns:

ешқандай менің досым емес he's no friend of mine
ешқандай жаңалық жоқ there's no news (whatsoever)
ешкім жоқ there's nobody
ешкім келмеді nobody came ("nobody didn't come")
ештеңе айтпаймын i won't say anything ("i won't say nothing")
ештеңе етпейді nothing happened
ешнәрсе керек емес nothing is needed
ештеңе етпейді nothing terrible (Rus. ничего страшного)

Remember: If there is a negative pronoun in a sentence, the verb must also be negated (double negative).

Ешкім келмеді Nobody came
Ешкімді көрмеді He didn't see anybody
Ешқайда бармаймын I'm not going anywhere

Remember the following usages of the word шапшаң
шапшаң адам hurried man
шапшаң жауап quick reply
шапшаң поезд fast train
шапшаң жүреді he walks fast
шапшаң оқиды he reads fast
шапшаң ұшады he flies fast

Exercise 1
Translate to English
1) Ойым жоқ. 2) Менің достарым көп емес. 3) Әкем - абыройлы адам. 4) Дәрістеріміз басталды. 5) Ешкім қайтпады. 6) Жиналыс басталды ма? 7) Студенттеріміз жақсы оқиды. 8 ) Сәкен мисыз адам екен. 9) Балалары өсті. 10) Көршілеріміз алыс емес тұрады. 11) Ол басы жоқ кісі. 12) Менің абыройым төгілді. 13) Бір өтінішім бар. 14) Сұрағымыз жоқ. 15) Ешқандай жаңалық жоқ па? 16) Мынау пайдасы жоқ жұмыс екен. 17) Осы кісілер таныс па? 18 ) Кілем жақсы ма? 19) Сүт төгілді. 20) Өз пікіріңіз бар ма? 21) Кітабым жоқ. 22) Бұл кемшілікті конструкция. 23) Оның немересі ұзын бойы қыз екен.

Exercise 2
1) You have many friends. 2) I don't have any thoughts/ideas. 3) Do your children still study? 4) Are your neighbours good people? 5) Your songs are very good. 6) I have one question. 7) The meeting didn't begin. 8 ) Our houses are tall. 9) We laid a new carpet. 10) He disgraced himself. 11) I don't have a notebook. 12) Do your children study well?

Conversation practice

-Отбасыңыз көп жанды ма? Is your family large?
-Көп жанды. Yes

-Әке-шешеңіз бар ма? Do you have parents?
-Иә бар. Олар бөлек тұрады. Yes. They live apart/separately.

-Ағаң үйленді ме? Did your brother get married?
-Үйленді. Жақында анам әже болады. Yes. Soon my mother will be a grandmother.
-Оның әйелі жақсы кісі? Is his wife a good person?
-Ол өте сүйкімді әйел She's a very nice woman.

Note - in Kazakh (unlike in English) the copula (the verb "to be") is not required with a noun predicate. But in the past or the future it is required:
Мен суретші боламын - I will be an artist.
Ол әдемі қыс болды - She was a beautiful girl.

-Сенің әкең абыройлы адам екен. Your father (it turns out) is a very influential man
-Иә, ол белгілі әнші. Yes, he's a famous singer.
-Оның әндері жақсы ма? Are his songs good?
-Иә. Ол тамаша ән салады. Yes, he sings beautifully.
-Өзің ән саласың ба? Does he sing his own songs?
-Жоқ No.

-Сенің кімің бар? Ағам бар ма? Who do you have (in your family)? Do you have a brother?
-Бар. Yes
-Ол оқиды ма? Does he study?
-Жоқ жұмыс істейді. No, he works.

-Сәлеметсіз бе, Сәуле Hello, Säule
-Аман-есенсіз бе, Айгүл Hello, Aygül
-Бала-шағаларыңыз жақсы ма? How are things at home?
-Жақсы. Рақмет. Өзіңіз аман-есенсіз бе? Күйеуіңіз жазылды ма? Good, thanks. What about you? Is your husband better?
-Иә. Ол тез жазылды. Yes he got better quickly.

-Келініңіз жақсы кісі ме? Is your daughter-in-law a good person?
-Жақсы Yes ("good")

-Сен оның күйеуіңіз білесің бе? Do you know her husband?
-Ешкімды білмеймін. I don't know anybody.

-Менің екі балам бар I have two children
-Аттары кім? What are their names?
-Нұрлан және Айнұр Nurlan and Aynur

-Әйелің бар ма? Do you have a wife?
-Жоқ. Бойдақпын No. I'm single

Vocabulary

ықпал influence
абырой authority/prestige абыройы төгілді his prestige fell / he disgraced himself
бала child
пайда profit/benefit/good
көптеген many in number
ешқандай no kind of..
жаңалық news (singular)
кемшілік shortcoming/defect
жиналыс meeting
дәріс lesson
бастал to begin
ми brains
өсу to grow/grow up
көрші neighbour
кісі man person
пікір opinion thought
өз self, one's own
өтініш request
бір one
сұрақ question
кілем carpet
төгілу to pour out
отбас, жанұя family
көп жанды very big (lit. many souled) about families and so on
бөлек apart separate
сүйкімді pleasant nice
келін younger daughter-in-law
жеңгей older daughter-in-law
бойдақ bachelor

Answers to the exercises

Exercise 1
Translate to English
[spoiler]1) I don't have any thoughts. 2) I don't have many friends. 3) My father is an influential man. 4) Our lessons began. 5) Nobody returned. 6) Did the meeting begin? 7) Our students study well. 8 ) Saken is a brainless person. 9) Their children grew up. 10) Our neighbours live not far. 11) He is a headless(brainless, stupid) person. 12) My authority increased. 13) There is one request. 14) We don't have any questions. 15) Is there no news? 16) It (it turns out) is pointless work. 17) Are these people acquaintances? 18 ) Is the carpet good? 19) The milk got spilled. 20) Do you have your own opinion? 21) I don't have a book. 22) This construction is faultless. 23) Her granddaughter is a tall girl.[/spoiler]

Exercise 2
Translate to Kazakh
[spoiler]1) Достарың көп. 2) Ешқандай ойым жоқ. 3) Балалары әлі оқиды ма? 4) Көршілеріңіз жақсы ма? 5) Әндерің өте жақсы. 6) Бір сұрағым бар. 7) Жиналыс басталмады. 8 ) Үйлеріміз биік. 9) Жаңа кілем салдық. 10) Абыройы төгілді. 11) Дәптерім жоқ. 12) Балаларың жақсы оқиды ма?[/spoiler]

zhiguli

Postby zhiguli » 2007-10-11, 2:44

Lesson 9
Тоғызыншы сабақ

We don't wish to dampen your enthusiasm, but a fact is a fact - in Kazakh there are 7 cases (to compare - in English there are 2 (!), in German - 4, in Russian - 6, in Korean - 9, in Finnish - 14, in Dagestani languages - about 40)
But there's no need to be afraid. In general the Kazakh case system is more logical and regular than the Russian case system.

Locative case

The locative case indicates location or time when an action occurs. For example:
қалада in the city
үйде in the house
қолда in the hand
жазда in the summer

The locative case doesn't distinguish between at/in/on/etc. Words in the locative case act as adverbs of time or place. Its position in a sentence is fairly free, but it can never come between an adjective and the noun it modifies. It most often comes before or after the subject. It is rarely placed after the direct object - usually this happens in poetic language. Adverbs of place usually come after time expressions.
As well, a noun in the locative case can be a nominal predicate. In this position it can take personal endings and naturally come at the end of a sentence:
мен ауылдамын I'm in the village
сен ауылдасың you're in the village
сіз ауылдасың you're in the village
ол ауылда he's in the village
біз ауылдамыз we're in the village
сендер ауылдасыңдар you're in the village
сіздер ауылдасыздар you're in the village
олар ауылда they're in the village

The locative case is formed thus:
-да/де after words ending in vowels and voiced consonants (other than б, в, г, д)
-та/те after words ending in voiceless consonants and б, в, г, д
-ында/інде after possessive third person endings:

базар market базарда in the market
көл lake көлде in the lake
қап sack қапта in the sack
қолы his hand қолында in his hand
Қасенов Qasenov Қасеновта At/by Qasenov*

(*this is another way of showing possession - Қасеновта алма бар - "at Qasenov is an apple" = Qasenov has an apple)

The case endings come after possessive endings:
қалаларымызда in our cities
балаларымда at/by my children

Words in the locative case answer the questions қайда? where?, кімде? at/by whom? неде? in what?
When forming questions, especially when asking about the location of something, the expression қай жерде "in which place/land" is used instead of қайда:
Сіз қай жерде тұрасыз? Where do you live?
Мұражай қай жерде? Where is the museum (located)?

Remember the locative forms of the personal pronouns:

менде in me
сенде in you
сізде in you
онда in him/her/it
бізде in us
сендерде in you
сіздерде in you
оларда in them

Examples with the locative case:
Біз үлкен қалада тұрамыз. We live in a big city
Ауылда дүкен жоқ There is no store in the village
Сен қайдасың? Where are you?
Мұражайда адам көп There are many people in the museum
Мұнда өте салқын It's very cold here
Аққу көкте, көбелек шөпте (Мақал) The swan is in the skies, the butterfly in the grass (proverb)

The dative case
The dative case is formed thus:
-ға/ге after vowels and voiced consonants other than б, в, г, д
-қа/ке after voiceless consonants and б, в, г, д
-на/не after 3rd person possessive endings
-а/е after 1st and 2nd person possessive endings:
үй house үйге to the house
зауыт factory зауытқа to the factory
орман forest орманға to the forest
інім my brother ініме to my brother
пәтері his apartment пәтеріне to his apartment

The dative case has the following functions:
1) Indicates the direction of an action (towards, to):
Мен Астанаға барамын I'm going to Astana
Сәкен мектепке барады Säken is going to school

2) Indicates the goal of an action
Мен нанға бардым I went for (to get) bread
Сен оқулыққа келдің бе? Did you come for the textbook?

3) Shows the person for whom something is intended
Ержан анасына хат жазды Erzhan wrote a letter for/to his mother
Мен саған оқулық аламын I'll give you the textbook

In general, words with the prepositions for/to in English will more often than not be translated into Kazakh by the dative case. Of course there are special cases of verbal direction.

Examples with the dative case:
Ол маған ұнайды I like him ("he to-me pleases")
Саған жаңа қалам керек пе? Do you need a new pen ("to-you new pen needed?")
Дәріске қатыстым I was at the lesson
Ұлыма мақтанамын I'm proud of ("to") my son
Оған Нұрлан кездесті Ему встретился Нурлан He met Nurlan ("to-him Nurlan met")
Мен сәтсіздікке ұшырадым I had bad luck ("met with misfortune" Rus потерпел неудачу)
Ол бәлеге ұшырады He got into trouble
Біз жаңбырға ұшырадық We got caught in the rain
Сізге бір сұрағым бар I have one question for you
Серуенге шықтық We went out for a stroll
Мен көшене шықтым I went out to the street
Көлге алыс емес It's not far to the lake
Жаныма батты My soul ached
Шелекке су құй Pour water into the bucket
Мен төсекке отырдым I sat on(to) the bed
Қалтама кілт салдым I put the key in my pocket
Сүт салқын жерге қойшы Put the milk in a cold place
Дәптерді орнына сал Put the notebook in its place
Мені ауруханаға жатқызды They put me in hospital
Оған жаңа пәтер тапты They found a new apartment (for) him
Әжесіне көмектеседі He helps his father
Рақмет сізге Thank you
Саған көмек көрсетемін I'll help you

A word in the dative case that indicates direction, just like place adverbs in the locative case, does not have a fixed position in a sentence. As a rule it is not placed before the subject, and after place adverbs. Examples of typical word order:

Time/place adverbs / (adjective) subject / place adverbs (direction) / goal adverbs / predicate (particles)
қайда? қашан? / кім? не? / қайда / неге? / не істейді?
where? when? / who? what? / to where? / why? what for? / doing what?
бүгін / мен / базарға / алмұртқа / барамын
today / i / to the market / for pears / will go

Time/place adverbs / (adjective) subject / direct object / place adverbs (direction, receiver of action) / predicate (particles)
қайда? қашан? / кім? не? / не(ні)? кім(ді)*? / неге? кімге? / не істейді?
where? when? / who? what? / whom? what? / for what? to whom? to where? / doing what?
ертең / сен / хат / Сәулеге / жазасың ба?
tomorrow / you / letter / to Säule / are writing ?
кеше / мен / гәзет / қалтама / салдым
yesterday / i / newspaper / into my pocket / put

*-ні/ді accusative case markers

Words in the dative case answer the questions қайда? to where ("whither")? кімге? to whom? неге? to what?
When asking a question, especially one about the location of an object, the word қай жерде "in what place (lit. earth, land)" is used instead of қайда.

Dative forms of pronouns:
мен > маған - to me
сен > саған - to you
сіз > сізге - to you
он > оған - to him
біз > бізге - to us
сендер > сендерге - to you
сіздер > сіздерге - to you
олар > оларға - to them

Remember the uses of the verb шақыру - to call, invite
ашу шақыру to arouse anger
әскерге шақыру - to enlist into army
дәрігер шақыру - to call the doctor
қонаққа шақыру - to host/invite (as a guest)
қонақ шақыру - to invite a guest
жәрдемге шақыру - to call for help
жедел жәрдем шақыру - to call emergency

Learn the different used of the verb жету - to get to, reach, to be enough
үйге әрең жеттік we somehow reached home
келіп жету - to arrive / get to
бір жерге келіп жетті - he got to a place
ол кәмелетке жетті - he became an adult/reached the age of majority (Rus. он достиг совершеннолетия)
мұратқа жету - to achieve what one desires
табысқа жету - to succeed/achieve success
тәжірибесі жетпейді - he doesn't have (didn't achieve) enough experience
нан жетпейді - there isn't enough bread

Dialogues

-Сәлем, Қаныш. Hi Qanysh.
-Сәлем, Ақжол Hi Aqzhol
-Сен бүгін киноға барасың ба? Are you going to the movies today?
-Бармаймын, бос уақытым жоқ. I'm not going, I have no free time.

-Амансыз ба, Руслан Hello Ruslan
-Амансыз ба, Андрей Hello Andrei
-Сіз бүгін Бишкекке барасыз ба? Are you going to Bishkek today?
-Бүгін емес. Мен ертең барамын. Not today. I'll go tomorrow

-Кімге билет керек? Who needs a ticket?
-Бізге керек. We do ("to us is needed")
-А сізге керек пе? And do you need one?
-Менде билет бар, рақмет. I have ("on me is") a ticket, thanks

-Бұл кітап саған This books is for you
-Рақмет саған Thank you ("to you")

-Жұлдыз, бүгін бізге қонаққа кіріңіз! - Zhuldyz, come visit us today
-Рақмет, кіремін - Thanks, I will come

-Сәлем, Ермек. Hi Ermek
-Сәлем, Алма Hi Alma
-Жұмыс хал-жағдайың қалай? How are things at work?
-Жаман емес, рақмет. Not bad, thanks
-Сен бізге қашан келесің? - When are coming to see us?
-Білмеймін, бүгін бос уақытым жоқ. I don't know, I don't have free time today

Exercise 1
Form the dative case from the following nouns:
үй, гараж, дала, баласы, қызым, қалтасы, орын, сөздік, қала

Exercise 2
Translate to English
1) Ауылда аурухана жоқ. 2) Шешем ауруханада жұмыс істейді. 3) Осы қыз маған ұнайды. 4) Ол табыстарына мақтанады. 5) Сен жаңбырға ұшырадың ба? 6) Бүгін серуенге шықтым. 7) Ол жаңа ауданда тұрады. 8 ) Мұражайда ешкім жоқ. 9) Ол маған көмектесті. 10) Қыздар орманға жидекке кетті. 11) Мен жаңа жұмысқа орналастым. 12) Сен маған мақтанасың ба? 13) Оларға не керек? 14) Күндіз қонақ үйге орналастым. 15) Базарға нанға баршы! 16) Бүгін дәріске кім қатыспайды? 17) Таныс адамды кездестім. 18 ) Сіздерге бір өтінішім бар. 19) Маған сұрағың бар ма? 20) Күндіз әжеме қонаққа барамыз. 21) Серуенге шықтың ба? 22) Үйіңе жақын ба? 23) Бақшаға жидекке барамын. 24) Кілт қалтама салдым. 25) Мен жеке пәтерде тұрамын.

Exercise 3
Translate to Kazakh
1) I have a proposal for you. 2) Did you give him money? 3) He comforted himself. 4) They went to the forest. 5) Pour some milk. 6) He poured water into the bucket. 7) Sit on the chair. 8 ) Put the milk down 9) The teacher gave notebooks to the students. 10) There is another store here. 11) We laid the carpet on the fool. 12) Who's there? 13) Äsel works in a restaurant. 14) There are many different things in this store. 15) Today i'll send things to the city. 16) Where's the dormitory? 17) Will you help grandmother? 18 ) Are there many stores in the village? 19) Where are you going? 20) Call emergency! 21) Did they invite you (as a guest)? 22) (It turns out) he lacks experience. 23) He succeeded.

Answers

Exercise 1
[spoiler]үй: үйге, үйде
гараж: гаражға, гаражда
дала: далаға, далада
баласы: баласына, баласында
қызым: қызыма, қызында
қалтасы: қалтасына, қалтасында
орын: орынға, орында
сөздік: сөздікке, сөздікте
қала: қалаға, қалада[/spoiler]

Exercise 2
[spoiler]1) There is no hospital in the village. 2) My mother works in the hospital. 3) I like this girl. 4) He is proud of his successes. 5) Are you tired of the rain? 6) I went for a walk today. 7) He lives in a new raion. 8 ) There's nobody in the museum. 9) He helped me. 10) The girls went into the forest for berries. 11) I settled into a new job. 12) Are you proud of me? 13) What do they need? 14) During the day the guest got settled in the hotel. 15) Go to the market for bread. 16) Who wasn't present at the lecture today? 17) I met a familiar ("acquainted") person. 18 ) I have a request for you. 19) Do you have a question for me? 20) I'll go to visit my grandmother during the day. 21) Did you go for a walk? 22) Is it close to your home? 23) I'll go to the garden for berries. 24) I put the key in my pocket. 25) I live in a private apartment.[/spoiler]

Exercise 3
[spoiler]1) Сізге бір ұсыныс бар. 2) Оған ақша алдың ба? 3) Ол жанына жай тапты. 4) Олар орманға кетті. 5) Сүт құйыңызшы. 6) Шелекке су құйдым. 7) Орындыққа отырыңыз. 8 ) Сүт орнына қой. 9) Ұстаз студенттерге дәптер алды. 10) Мұнда бір дүкен бар. 11) Біз еденде кілем салдық. 12) Кім анда? 13) Әсел мейрамханада жұмыс істейді. 14) Осы дүкенде түрлі заттар көп. 15) Бүгін қалаға заттар жіберемін. 16) Жатақхана қай жерде? 17) Сен әжеңе көмектесесің бе? 18 ) Ауылында дүкендер көп пе? 19) Қай жерге барасың? 20) Жедел жәрдем шақырыңдашы! 21) Олар сені қонаққа шақырды ма? 22) Оның тәжірибелі жетпейді екен. 23) Ол мұратына жетті.[/spoiler]

Vocabulary
ұнау to like
мақтану to be proud
ұшырау to meet, run into
ұсыныс sentence
ауыл village, aul
аудан province, raion
мұражай museum
серуен stroll
мейрамхана restaurant
жидек berries
бақша garden
жатақхана dormitory
пәтер apartment
жеке private
табыс success
немесе or
табу to find
жан soul; жаңа жан табу to comfort oneself (one's soul), жанға батты it pained the soul
ақша money
шелек bucket
төсек bed
орындық chair
жер earth, ground, place
мұнда here
анда there
салқын cold
қалта little sack, pocket
газет newspaper
кілт key
орнына салу put in place
арухана hospital
зат thing, object, article
кету to go
орналасу to settle in
қонақ үй hotel
қонақ guest
қонаққа бару to pay a visit (go as a guest)
түрлі various
жіберу to send
келесі next
аялдама stop
ашу шақыру to arouse anger
әскерше шақыру to enlist (into the army)
дәрігер шақыру to call a doctor
қонаққа шақыру to invite (as a guest)
қонақ шақыру to invite a guest
жәрдемге шақыру to call for help
жедел жәрдем шақыру to call emergency
үйге әрең жеттік we somehow reached home
келіп жету - to arrive / get to
бір жерге келіп жетті - he got to a place
ол кәмелетке жетті - he became an adult/reached the age of majority (Rus. он достиг совершеннолетия)
мұратқа жету - to achieve what one desires
табысқа жету - to succeed/achieve success
тәжірибесі жетпейді - he doesn't have (didn't achieve) enough experience
нан жетпейді - there isn't enough bread

Сау болыңыздар! Goodbye

zhiguli

Postby zhiguli » 2007-10-12, 7:53

Lesson 10
Оныншы сабақ

Hello!

The infinitive
We already discussed the infinitive in Lesson 4. It is formed by adding the suffix -у(ю after roots ending in й) to the verb root. There are also roots ending in і/ы, which drop these when adding the infinitive suffix. In dictionaries this form is translated as an infinitive, but this isn't completely correct. In function it is closer to the gerund of English: writing, swimming, etc.

жаз- to write жазу writing
оқы- to read оқу reading
кел- to come келу coming, arrival
аудар- to translate аудару translating, translation
түсін- to understand түсіну understanding, comprehension

The infinitive form can also include negative affixes:

көру seeing көрмеу not seeing
бару movement бармау standing still ("no-movement")
түсіну understanding түсінбеу not understanding

There is no such form in English and thus it's difficult to give an exact translation.

This form can also take personal and case affixes and in this way behaves like an ordinary noun. That is it merges verbal and noun affixes.

1st p. sg. келуім my coming
2nd p. sg. келуің your coming
2nd p. sg. келуіңіз your coming
3rd p. sg. келуі his coming
1st p. pl. келуіміз our coming
2nd p. pl. келуіңдер your coming
2nd p. pl. келуіңіздер your coming
3rd p. pl. келуі their coming

Now let's take a look at the main uses of this form:
1) In the dative case it is often equivalent to the infinitive in English (or the gerund). It is often used together with words like:

бола ма? is it possible? may i?
болады it's possible
болмайды it's impossible
рұқсат ету allow (me)
рұқсат етіледі it's permitted
рұқсат етілмейді it's not permitted
керек it's necessary
ынталы wishing, interested
тиіс one must
тиісті one who is obliged to..
қиын it's difficult
оңай it's easy

Examples:
Кіруге бола ма? Is it possible to enter?/May I enter?
Бөтен кісілерге кіруге болмайды Unauthorized persons not admitted ("forbidden to enter")
Сізді биге шақыруға бола ма? May I ask you to dance?
Темекі тартуға рұқсат етілмеді Smoking is not permitted
Шығуға бола ма? Is it possible to go out?
Айтуға қиын It's difficult to speak
Аударуға оңай емес It's not easy to translate
Рұқсат па? May I ("is it permitted" - to come in)?
Буруге тиіс I must give

In such sentences, the word that answers the question "to whom?" is put in the dative case and is placed before the infinitive:
Оған көмектесу керек - He must help
Маған кіруге болмайды - It's not possible for me to enter

If an adjective is used as the predicate (a word answering the question "what kind of?") then it can take personal endings. Adverbs, that answer the question "how?" do not take such endings.

Сен беруге тиістісің You must give
Біз келісуге тиістіміз We are obliged to agree
Айтуға керек One must say
Айтуға қиын It's hard to speak
Маған айтуға қиын It's hard for me to speak

2) The verbal noun/infinitive can have a whole series of objects, adverbs and adjectives, that is, it can appear as the predicate of another sentence.
Let's look at an example - the phrase сабаққа қатынас - to attend a class. It can be broadened - соңғы сабаққа қатынас - to attend the last class. Such a phrase can be a sentence: Соңғы сабаққа қатынастым I attended the last class. But this construction can also be part of another sentence, let's say, as a subject. For this the predicate with a personal ending must be replaced by the verbal noun:
соңғы сабаққа қатынасу attendance of the last class - соңғы сабаққа қатынасуым my attendance of the last class - Соңғы сабаққа қатынасуым жақсы - My attendance of the last classes is good. Or in other words - I have a good record of attending the last lessons.

This construction can be analysed by the following chart:

соңғы / сабаққа / қатынасуым - жақсы
adjective / object / predicate - predicate
subject - predicate

Мен - сені / шақыруға - келдім
subject - direct object / predicate - predicate
subject - adverb of goal (what for?) - predicate

Perhaps this explanation is not completely correct from a linguistic point of view, but it helps in understanding the structure of such sentences.
The first construction is practically a special case of what we have just seen. It's important to note that the embedded "sentence" with the "predicate" as a verbal noun is in the same position that a similar member of a sentence would be. For example, in Kazakh there's a word ынталы diligent, willing, interested. It is governed by the dative case:
сабаққа ынталы diligent in one's studies
сабаққа ынталы оқушы a diligent (in his studies) student

But the word сабақ can be replaced by a construction with the verbal noun:
сені тыңдауға ынталы interested in listening to you ("you listening-to interested")
Мен сені тыңдауға ынталы емеспін I'm not interested in listening to you ("I you listening-to am not interested")

But one can't say Мен ынталы сені тыңдауға емеспін, likewise no one says ынталы сабаққа оқушы, because сені тыңдауға is the same kind of object as the word сабаққа alone, and an object that answers the question "what is one interested in" is put before the word ынталы.

Sometimes this construction can be used as an adjective. For example:
Мынау айтуға қиын сөз This difficult-to-pronounce word
маған айтуға қиын it's difficult for me to pronounce
маған айтуға қиын сөз - a word that is difficult for me to pronounce ("to-me topronounce difficult word")

Compare these expressions with the above sentences:
шашы ұзын қыз - a long-haired girl ("her-hair long a girl")
баласы жоқ адам - a childless man ("his-child not-being a man")

Very often the verbal noun that acts as an object links two verbs/actions:

verbal noun in the dative case - verb

Let's look at some examples:

Сіз оған сенуіңізге болады You can believe him lit. "your believing in him is possible"
Оған көмектесуің керек He needs your help lit. "to him is needed your helping"
Біз демалуға тоқтадық We came to a halt.
Мен емтихан тапсыруға әзірленемін I'm preparing to write an exam
Ерте тұруға әдеттенемін I'm used to getting up early
Жазуы бар дәптер Notebook with writing in it ("its writing being notebook")
Жазуы жоқ тіл Unwritten language ("its writing not-being language")
Біз киноға баруға келістік We agreed to go to tho movies
Менің ұлым жақсы оқуға тырысады My son is trying to study well
Көлге шомылуға келдім I came to swim in the lake
Мен мұнда қалуға ұйғардым I decided to stay here
Ол темекі тартпауға ант берді He promised not to smoke ("he tobacco smoking-to promise gave")
Ол үздік оқуға уәде берді He promised to study excellently
Оның Ресейге баруға ниеті бар He intends to go to Russia lit. "his to-Russia going-to intention is"
Оны тыңдауға ынтам жоқ I have no desire to listen to him
Теледидар сатып алуға ақша жинадым I gathered money for the purchase of a TV
Үй салуға кірістік We began (set to work on) building the house
Ұлым оқуға кірістік My son started studying
Ол әдемі қыз деуге болмайды, бірақ өте сүйкімді You wouldn't call her a beautiful girl, but she is very nice
Сәлем беруге рұқсат етіңіз Allow me to greet you
Табысқа жетуіңізге тілектеспін I wish you success lit. "to your achievement of success I'm a well-wisher"

3) The verbal noun together with the possessive suffixes and the words керек/қажет translates as "must/need to do something":

1st p. sg. келуім керек i must/have to/need to go
2nd p. sg. келуің керек you must go
2nd p. sg. келуіңіз керек you must go
3rd p. sg. келуі керек he must go
1st p. pl. келуіміз керек we must go
2nd p. pl. келуіңдер керек you must go
2nd p. pl. келуіңіздер керек you must go
3rd p. pl. келуі керек they must go

Note: a separate pronoun can be in either the nominative or genitive case. For example:
Мен/менің баруым керек - I must go

4) The verbal noun can also take the locative case and predicate suffixes: естудемін, естудесің etc. This is used as a synonym of the present continuous tense. It is used fairly rarely, however.

Memorize the expressions:

мен сені өтінемін i ask/beg you
саған бір өтінішім бар (еді) i have a request for you
алғыс айтамын thank you

Dialogues

-Кіруге бола ма? May I come in?
-Әлбетте, кіріңіз. Of course, come in.
-Рақмет Thank you

-Саған қалуға керек пе? Do you have to stay?
-Иә, керек Yes, I have to

-Кімге билет керек? Who needs a ticket?
-Бізге керек. We do
-Ал сізге керек пе? And do you need it?

-Қалан, сізге бір өтінішім бар еді. Маған билет сатып алыңыз. Qalan, I have something to ask you. Please buy me a ticket
-Жарайды Alright
-Рақмет сізге Thank you

-Рұқсат па? May I?
-Кіріңіз! Come in!
-Сәлеметсіз бе! Hello!
-Жақсымысыз! Hello!
-Сізге кім керек еді? Who do you need
-Маған Омар керек еді I need Omar
-Ол жаңа шықты. Қазір келеді. He just went out. He'll be right back
-Мен тосамын. Омар маған өте қажет еді I'll wait. I really need Omar
-Тосыңыз. Мына орындыққа отырыңыз Go ahead. Sit down ("wait. sit here on the chair")

-Амансыз ба, Шәкен! Hello, Shäken
-Жақсымысыз, Қайрат. Сіз маған келдіңіз бе? Hello, Qayrat. Did you come to see me?
-Иә сізге. Сізге бір өтінішім бар. Yes. I have something to ask you
-Кіріңіз! Come in

Exercise 1
Translate to English:
1) Темекі тартуға болмайды. 2) Сізді мейрамханаға шақыруға рұқсат етіңіз. 3) Уәде орындауға оңай емес. 4) Ол орындауға қиын уәде берді. 5) Дәрігер шақыруға керек! 6) Мен Мәскеуге баруға әзірленемін. 7) Жаңа пәтер сатып алуға ақша жинадыңыз ба? 8 ) Ол жақсы оқуға әдеттенді. 9) Сен маған сенуің болады. 10) Әйткенмен қайтуым керек. 11) Мұнда жұмыс істеуде оңай ма? 12) Ерте тұруға әдеттенді 13) Оны тыңдауға тиіс. 14) Маған өзенге шомылуға рұқсат ет. 15) Мен оқулық сатып алуға келдім. 16) Келісуге керек. 17) Ақтөбеге баруың керек пе? 18 ) Мен үйіме демалуға келдім. 19) Жұмысшылар жаңа жол салуға кірістік. 20) Көлге шомылуға рұқсат етілмейді. 21) Мен темекі тартпауға ант бердім. 22) Қалаға баруға ынталы емеспін. 23) Ол уәде орындауға тырысады. 24) Мен Мәскеуге бармауға ұйғардым. 25) Ақтөбеге баруға ниетім бар. 26) Сапарыңыз ойдағыдай өтуіне тілектеспін.

Exercise 2
Translate to Kazakh
1) Is it possible to say? 2) I decided not to return. 3) It's not easy to study well. 4) Is it hard to live in the village? 5) I promised to return. 6) It's hard to study well. 7) You must promise not to smoke. 8) Is Olzhas (Олжас) planning to return to Moscow? 9) We set to work. 10) May I close the door? 11) Please let me come in. 12) I decided to save money to buy a carpet. 13) We agreed to meet tomorrow. 14) You can believe me. 15) You must go nevertheless. 16) I need your help.

Vocabulary

би dance
әзірлену to prepare
тырысу to try
жинау to gather
әдеттену to attract
әлбетте of course
келісу to agree
әйткенмен nevertheless, all the same
сену to believe саған сенемін I believe you
бола ма? is it possible...?
болмайды it's impossible
болмады it's possible
рұқсат ету to allow
рұқсат етіду is it permitted?
тиіс must
қиын it's difficult
оңай it's easy
сабақ lesson
шомылу to swim көлге шомыл to swim in the lake
ұйғару to decide, intend
темекі тарту to smoke
ант беру to promise
уәде беру to promise
уәде promise (noun)
ниет intention, motivation
ынта wish
ынталы wishing, someone who wishes
тыңдау to listen
Ресей Russia
тиісті obliged
орындау to fulfill/carry out
үздік excellent
Мәскеу Moscow
Ақтөбе Aqtöbe
кірісу to set to work
өтіну to ask of smb
тосу to wait
тілектес wishing, well-wisher

Answers

Exercise 1
[spoiler]1) Smoking is forbidden. 2) Please allow me to invite you to the restaurant. 3) It's not easy to fulfil a promise. 4) He gave a difficult-to-fulfil promise. 5) One must call the doctor. 6) I'm preparing to go to Moscow. 7) Did you save money to buy a new apartment? 8 ) He's used to studying well. 9) You can believe me. 10) I have to return nevertheless. 11) Is it easy to work here? 12) He's used to getting up early. 13) One must listen to him. 14) Please let me swim in the river. 15) I came to buy a textbook. 16) One must agree. 17) Do you have to go to Aqtöbe? 18 ) I came home to rest. 19) The workers begain laying the new road. 20) It is not permitted to swim in the lake. 21) I promised not to smoke. 22) I don't have any desire to go to the city. 23) He's trying to fulfil his promise. 24) I decided not to go to Moscow. 25) I intend to go to Aqtöbe. 26) I hope your trip went well.[/spoiler]

Exercise 2
[spoiler]1) Айтуға бола ма? 2) Мен қайтпауға ұйғардым. 3) Жақсы оқуға оңай емес. 4) Ауылда тұруға қиын ба? 5) Мен қайтуға ант бердім. 6) Жақсы оқуға қиын. 7) Темекі тартпауға ант беруің керек. 8 ) Олжас Мәскеуге баруға ұйғарады ма? 9) Біз жұмысқа кірістік. 10) Есікті жабуға бола ма? 11) Кіруге рұқсат етіңіз. 12) Мен кілем сатып алуға ақша жинауға ұйғардым. 13) Біз ертең кездесуге келістік. 14) Маған көмектесуің керек.[/spoiler]

Сау болыңыздар!

zhiguli

Postby zhiguli » 2007-10-14, 20:19

Lesson 11
Он бірінші сабақ

Hello!

The accusative case
The accusative case answers the questions кімді? whom? and нені? what? and is used to indicate a direct object. The direct object may also be in the nominative case, especially if it is about some unknown object. So in fact this case is the definite direct object case (as in Turkish/Persian and other such languages), it is used with nouns that would be preceded by "the" in English:
Мен дәптер әкелдім I brought a (some, any old) notebook
Мен дәптерді әкелдім I brought *the* notebook

Personal pronouns that are the direct object of a verb are *always* in the accusative case.
Nouns with demonstratives, possessive personal endings, or having some other adjectives attached to them are usually in the accusative.
Мен бұл кісіні білемін I know this person
Сен мені көрдің бе? Did you see me?

The accusative is formed with the suffix -ны/ні~ды/ді~ты/ті~н:

-ны/ні is added to words ending in a vowel
-ды/ді to words ending in a voiced consonant other than б, в, г, д
-ты/ті to words ending in a voiceless consonant or б, в, г, д
-н added to the third person possessive suffix
Examples:

алма apple > алманы
кітап book > кітапты
досы his friend > досын
ұлым my son > улымды

Examples with the accusative:

Оқушы сабақты оқиды The student learns the lesson
Мұғалім сабақты береді The teachers gives the lesson
Әсия оны біледі Äsiya knows him
Мен сені көремін I see you
Ал сен мені осы жерде тос And you wait for me here
Бұл хабар қызды абыржытты This news disturbed the girl
Бұл іс мені жалықтырды This thing tired me
Мен сені қуанттым ба? Did I please you?
Бұл сөзді аударуға қиын This word is difficult to pronounce
Құжаттарды тексеруге керек One must check the documents
Асығыста кітапты үйде ұмытып кеттім In haste i forgot the book at home

The verbal noun can also be put in the accusative:

Сіздерге келуді мен мүлде ұмыттым I completely forgot to go see you
Бізге тексеруді тапысрды They entrusted the correction to us
Мемлекет ақша аударуды бақылайды The government takes care of exchanging money
Балалар ересек адамдарға еліктеуді сүйеді Children love to imitate older people
Ол темекі тартуды тоқтатты He stopped smoking
Мен оның келуін күтемін I'm waiting for him to return

Remember the following idioms:

жақсы көру to love
жек көру to hate

The verb бекіту to close/place/fix/strengthen
есік бекіту to close the door
ат бекіту to hobble a horse
бюджет бекіту to pass a budget
тақта бекіту to secure/fasten a board
дене бекіту to strengthen the body
бұрап бекіту to tighten screws
көңілді бекіту to calm down

The verb ашу to open
терезе ашу to open the window
мәжіліс ашу to open a meeting
мектеп ашу to open a school
есеп шот ашу to open an account
ауыз ашу to open one's mouth
сыр ашу to open up ("the soul")

The suffix -хана

The suffix -хана taken from Persian is added to other nouns to form names of institutions, public buildings and so on. It is not subject to vowel harmony:

ауру illness аурухана hospital
мейрам holiday/celebration мейрамхана restaurant
шебер master шеберхана studio
шай tea шайхана tea house
кофе coffee кофехана coffee house
кітап book кітапхана library
мал livestock малхана shed
наубай baker наубайхана bakery
жатақ bed жатақхана dormitory

Dialogues

-Қайрат жүгімді әкелді ме? Did Qayrat bring my luggage?
-Әкелді. He did

-Сен Василийді шақырдың ба? Did you invite Vasiliy?
-Иә, шақырдым. Yes, I did

-Сіз оларды білесіз бе? Do you know them?
-Жоқ No

-Ержанды шақырыңыз! Call Erzhan
-Ол кетті He's gone

-Сен жаңа көйлекті сатып алдың ба? Did you buy a new dress?
-Алдым I did

-Артем әлі қалада ма? Is Artem still in the city?
-Иә. Yes
-Ал сен оны көрдін бе? And did you see him?
-Жоқ No

-Сен ұлдарын білесің бе? Do you know his sons?
-Білемін I do

-Сіз мені түсіндіңіз бе? Did you understand me?
-Түсіндім. I did

Exercise 1
Form the accusative and dative of the following words, taking into account that some of them have possessive endings.
досым, үй, Ұмаров, оқушы, қызы, кәсіпкер, көкөніс, алма, көше, көшелер, көшелері, бөлме, қыз, қап, мұғалім, үйі, шаштараз, шай, тау, хатың, ағаш, күн

Exercise 2
Translate to English
1) Мен бұл адамды жек көремін. 2) Біз оны іздейміз. 3) Ол Сәулені жақсы көреді. 4) Ол мені біледі. 5) Сен бұл кітапты оқидың ба? 6) Ол жүгімді әкеледі. 7) Күйеуіңізді білемін. 8 ) Мен жиі әке-шешеме хаттар жазамын. 9) Көршімді шақырдық. 10) Қыздар гүлдерді. 11) Біз достарымызды 12) Сол сөзді аудар. 13) Сіз кімді іздейсің? 14) Мен бұл шайхананы таптым. 15) Ержан кілт жоғалтты. 16) Неге оны жек көресің? 17) Сен хош иісті сездің бе? 18 ) Мен саған саулық тілеймі. Рақмет. 19) Гүлдер суды тілейді. 20) Ит аңды сезді. 21) Аң бір нәрсені сезді. 22) Кімді тосасың? 23) Бұл іс мені абыржыртты. 24) Серік оны жалықтырды. 25) Үстелді сүрту керек. 26) Асығыста құжатымды үйде ұмытып кеттім. 27) Ешқашан сені ұмытпаймын. 28 ) Маған еденді жууды тапсырды. 29) Күйеуіңіз наубайханада да жұмыс істейді ме? 30) Сен Василийді көрдің бе?

Exercise 3
Fill in the blanks:
1) Сен ат...ы бекітті... бе? 2) Мен есеп шот а...тым. 3) Ауа райы та...аша. 4) Терезе ашы...ыз. 4) Мемлекет бюджетті бек...тті. 5) Төраға мәжіл...сті ашты. 6) Есеп шот аш...ыңыз керек. 7) Жiгiт ат...н бекiттi. 8 ) Дене...дi бекiтуiң керек. 9) Гайканы бұрап б...кiтшi. 10) Саған сыр...мды аштым.

Exercise 4
Translate to Kazakh
1) Have you seen Ruslan? 2) Write a letter to your friend. 3) Bring me that notebook. 4) Do you know Särsen's wife? 5) Our neighbours are harvesting vegetables. 6) Did Ismet also invite you (as a guest)? 7) Did you wash the dishes? 8 ) I lost the documents. 9) Please iron my pants. 10) He tired me out. 11) The girls gathered berries. 13) I smelled the scent.

Answers

Exercise 1
[spoiler]досымды, үйдi, Ұмаровты, оқушыны, қызын, кәсiпкердi, көкөнiстi, алманы, көшенi, көшелердi, көшелерiн, бөлменi, қызды, қапты, мұғалiмдi, үйiн, шаштаразды, шайды, тауды, хатыңды, ағашты, күндi[/spoiler]

Exercise 2
[spoiler]1) I hate this person. 2) We are looking for him. i) He loves Säule. 4) He knows me. 5) Have you read this book? 6) He brought my luggage. 7) I know your husband. 8 ) I often write letters to my parents. 9) We invited my neighbour. 10) The girls are gathering flowers. 11) We are waiting for our friends. 12) Translate that word. 1i) Who are you looking for? 14) I found this teahouse. 15) Erzhan lost his keys. 16) Why do you hate him? 17) Did you smell the scent? 18 ) I wish you health. Thank you. 19) Flowers want ("love") water. 20) The dog smelled/sensed the animal. 21) The animal smelled something. 22) Who are you waiting for? 23) This matter troubled me. 24) Serik tired him out. 25) I must wipe the table 26) In a haste I forgot the documents at home. 27) I will never forget you. 28 ) They entrusted the washing of the floor to me. 30) Does your husband also work at the bakery? 31) Have you seen Vasiliy?[/spoiler]

Exercise 3
[spoiler]1) Сен атты бекiттiң бе? 2) Мен есеп шот аштым. i) Ауа райы тамаша. Терезе ашыңыз. 4) Мемлекет бюджеттi бекiттi. 5) Төраға мәжiлiстi ашты. 6) Есеп шот ашуыңыз керек. 7) Жiгiт атын бекiттi. 8 ) Денеңдi бекiтуiң керек. 9) Гайканы бұрап бекiтшi. 10) Саған сырымды аштым.[/spoiler]

Exercise 4
[spoiler]1) Сен Русланды көрдің бе? 2) Досыңа хат жазшы. 3) Маған ол дәптердi әкел. 4) Сен Сәрсеннiң әйелiн бiледi ме? 5) Көршiлерiмiз көкөнiстi тередi. 6) Iсмет сенi де қонаққа шақырды ма? 7) Ыдысты жудың ба? 8 ) Құжаттарымды жоғалттым. 9) Менiң шалбарды үтiктешi. 10) Ол менi жалықтырды. 11) Қыздар жидектердi тердi.[/spoiler]

Vocabulary

жақсы көру to love
жек көру to hate
сезу to feel
иіс smell
хош иіс fragrance, aroma
тілеу to want
саулық health
ит dog
аң animal
нәрсе something
хабар news
абыржыту to excite/agitate
жалықтыру to tire out
құжат document
тексеру to check
сүрту to wipe
үстел table
үтіктеу to iron
ұмыту to forget
асығыста in a hurry
ешқашан never
мүлде completely
тоқтату to stop
ауру illness
мейрам holiday
шебер master
іздеу to search
жоғалту to lose
мал cattle
жатақ bed
аурухана hospital
шеберхана studio
шайхана tea house
кофехана coffee house
малхана shed (for animals)
наубайхана bakery
күйеу husband
гүл flower
теру to gather
есік бекіту to close the door
ат бекіту to hobble a horse
бюджет бекіту to pass a budget
тақта бекіту to secure/fasten a board
дене бекіту to strengthen the body
бұрап бекіту to tighten screws
көңілді бекіту to calm down
терезе ашу to open the window
мәжіліс ашу to open a meeting
мектеп ашу to open a school
есеп шот ашу to open an account
ауыз ашу to open one's mouth
сыр ашу to open up ("the soul")

Сау болыңыздар!

zhiguli

Postby zhiguli » 2007-10-14, 20:44

Another site with some dialogues and audio files:

http://www.learnkaz.freenet.kz/about.htm

Don't bother going to the English version - there's nothing there. I may translate later, if someone needs it.

And now going off on a little tangent - you'll remember last year the idea of switching Kazakh to a Latin alphabet was brought up:

http://www.rferl.org/featuresarticle/20 ... 11591.html

Well it's been a year and it looks like they are serious about it:

http://www.inform.kz/showarticle.php?lang=eng&id=155135

It's worth noting that already is a Latin transcription scheme for Kazakh that is used on the official government news agency's site:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kazakh_alphabet#Latin

And here's another proposed version:

http://dkzh.livejournal.com/7109.html

Obviously this is a very divisive issue and there are many who think that in a country where Russian still dominates and many ethnic Kazakhs (some say more than 50%) have a poor command of their own language, all this money and effort would be better spent on actually reviving it.

To finish off, a (not completely unbiased) report from Uzbekistan, where latinization is not going as well as planned:

http://enews.ferghana.ru/article.php?id=1954

zhiguli

Postby zhiguli » 2007-10-17, 0:56

And here it is - the final lesson in the archive:

Lesson 12
Он екінші сабақ

The genitive case

The genitive is used to show possession. It answers the question кімнің? "whose?" and ненің? "of what?". It is formed with the ending(s):

-ның/нің after words ending in м, н, ң;
-дың/дің after words ending in voiced consonants other than м, н, ң, б, в, г, д;
-тың/тің after words ending in voiceless consonants and б, в, г, д

Examples

дос "friend" > достың "friend's"
балуан "fighter" > балуанның "fighter's"
геолог "geologist" > геологтың "geologist's"
тау "mountain > таудың "mountain's"

A noun in the genitive functions as an adjective. The noun itself takes the third person singular possesive suffix:

әкемнің кітабы my father's book
Сәуленің шашы Säwle's hair
баланың басы the child's head
алманың шырыны apple('s) juice

Examples in the genitive case:

Даланың қары кетты. The snow left the valley. ("The valley's snow went")
Қаланың көшелері кең. The city's streets are wide.
Алманың шырыны дәмді. The apple's juice is sweet.
Жарыстың бас хатшысы әлі келмеді. The competition's head secretary still hasn't arrived.
Күйіктің иісін сеземін. I smell the odor of burning. ("I feel the burning's smell")
Оқушылардың шығыл сөйлеуі қызық болды. The teacher's speech was interesting.
Қасеннің шашы қара. Qasen's hair is black.

Izafet construction

A large number of adjectives in Kazakh are underived (Rus. непроизводные) - they don't have any suffixes attached to them. These include such words as үлкен, қызыл, кең, etc. These adjectives can also be used as adverbs and in some cases, as nouns. (Derived adjectives can also be used as adverbs). In the last case they are usually words that denote materials. For example тас stone: ақ тас white stone, тас үй - stone house;
In the first case the word тас - stone is used as a noun, in the second - as an adjective. In this respect it's much like English - compare "silver ring", "white house", etc. In Kazakh this is called the izafet construction, where the first adjective is an unmarked noun, and the second noun takes the third person possessive ending. Examples:
қазақ тіл-і - the Kazakh language (қазақ - Kazakh, тіл - tongue/language)
аң ит-і - hunting dog (аң - animal, ит - dog)
бала мекеме-сі - child (welfare) institution (бала - child, мекеме - institution)
адам бас-ы man's head (адам - man/person, бас - head)
жыл мезгіл-дер-і seasons of the year (жыл - year, мезгілдер - seasons)
and so on.

The difference between the possessive (noun in the genitive case + noun+(с)ы/(с)i) is full apparent. In constructions with the genitive case the idea is of personal possession - that is, the second word (an object) that belongs to a specific person, whereas the izafet construction indicates that the "object" has a general relationship with the first noun:
адам-ның бас-ы - man's head; a head belonging to a specific person
адам бас-ы - human head; a head that all humans have
қала-ның көше-сi - the city's street - a street in a specific city
қала көше-сi - a city street - a street located in a city (doesn't matter which)

The izafet construction is used when linking a personal or place name with a noun that indicates the type of object:
Ақтөбе қаласы the city of Aqtöbe
немiс тiлi the German language
Қазақстан республикасы the Republic of Kazakhstan
Ақсу өзенi the Aqsu River

Examples of the izafet construction:
сүт фермасы dairy farm
жазу қағазы writing paper
жазу сабағы writing lesson
автомобиль жолы vehicle road
ағаш қоймасы wood storehouse
жүк кассасы luggage booth
сабақ кестесi timetable, schedule of lessons
жол ақысы travel ("road") money
электр шамы electric lamp
өзен жүйесi river system
жұмыс жүйесi work system
өзен суы тұщы fresh river water ("river water fresh")
иiс сезу мүшелерi olfactory organs
ғылым академиясы academy of sciences
автомобиль жарысы car competition/race
тiл маманы linguist ("language expert")
орман маманы forestry expert
әскерге шақыру пунктi enlistment office

Exercise 1:
Translate to English
1) Мұғалiмнiң шығып сөйлеуi қызық болды. 2) Шаруалар қой фермасында жұмыс iстейдi. 3) Жүзiм шырыны маған ұнамайды. 4) Су қоймасына шомылуға рұқсат етiлмейдi. 5) Бiз басқа қонақ үйге орнаттық. 6) Әкем ғылым академиясының толық мүшесi. 7) Бұлақ суы өте дәмдi. 8 ) Осы бұлақтың суы дәмдi екен. 9) Менiң ағам толық адам. 10) Сен сабақ кестесiн бiледi ме? 11) Әжем Атырау қаласында тұрады.

Exercise 2
Translate to Kazakh
1) I still haven't participated in cycling competitions. 2) She works in a children's institution. 3) Do you live in a stone house? 4) A stone house is strong. 5) Village streets are narrow. 6) Is river water delicious? 7) Is your had gray? 8 ) There are many trees at the edge of the village. 9) He works too fast. 10) This peculiarity must be taken into account. 11) I took into account the peculiarities that are characteristic of the Kazakh language. 12) He's abnormal!

The suffix -ша/ше

The suffix -ша/ше is used to form adverbs of manner:

неміс German немісше in German
қазақ Kazakh қазақша in Kazakh
менің my меніңше according to me, in my opinion
сенің your сеніңше according to you
басқа other, different басқаша differently
өзге different, other өзгеше in a different way

Conversation topic
тiл - language

Мен қазақша сөйлеймiн I speak Kazakh
Мен қазақ тiлiн нашар бiлемiн I know the Kazakh language badly
Мен қазақ тiлiнде аздап сөйлеймiн I speak a little Kazakh
Мен аздап қазақша бiлемiн I know a little Kazakh
Мен қазақ тiлiн жақсы бiлемiн I know the Kazakh language well
Мен қазақша еркiн сөйлеймiн I speak Kazakh fluently
Сен орыс тiлiн түсiнесiң бе? Do you understand Russian?
Ол қазақ тiлiне тән дыбыстарды дұрыс дыбыстайды He correctly pronounces the sounds peculiar to Kazakh
Сiз өте жақсы сөйлейсiз You have a very good pronunciation
Сәл баяу айтыңыз Speak a bit slower
Сен тым жылдам айтасың, мен сенi түсiнбеймiн You speak too fast, I don't understand you
Өкiнiшке орай, немiс тiлiн бiлмеймiн It's a great pity, but I don't know German
Қай тiлiн бiлесiз What language do you know
Сөздi анық айтпайсың You don't pronounce the word clearly

Memorize the following expressions

үйренiп кету to learn/master (Rus. выучить)
қазақ тiлiн тез үйренiм кеттiм I quickly learned the Kazakh language

Dialogues:

-Сіз қазақ тілін білесіз бе? Do you know Kazakh?
-Иә, аздап білемін Yes, I know a little

-Сен неміс тілінде сөйлейсің бе? Do you speak German?
-Иә. Мен оны мектепте үйренгенмін Yes. I have studied it in school

-Мен сені түсінбеймін. I can't understand you
-Мен тым жылдам айтамын ба? Do I speak too fast?
-Иә, мүмкін. Yes, maybe
-Жақсы, мен баяу айтамын. Ok, I'll speak slowly.
-Рақмет Thank you

-Бұл сөйлемді аударуға керек. I need to translate this sentence
-Өкінігшке орай, мен ағылшын тілін білмеймін. Sorry ("it's a great pity"), but I don't know English

-Қазақ тілі татар тіліне ұқсас па? Is Kazakh similar ("close") to Tatar?
-Иә, олар қыпшақ тілдерінің тарауына жатады. Yes, they belong to the Kipchak language family

-Сіз қазақша сондай жақсы сөйлейді екенсіз. - You speak Kazakh so well (in fact)
-Қазақ тілі - менің ана тілім Kazakh is my mother tongue

-Сіз шетел тілдерін білесіз бе? Do you know any foreign languages?
-Мен ағылшын тілінде аздап сөйлеймін I know a little English

-Мен мынау сөзді дұрыс дыбыстаймын ба? Am I pronouncing this word correctly?
-Меніңше дұрыс I think so ("according to me correctly")

-Сол сөйлем қазақ тіліне аудар Translate this sentence into Kazakh
-Жақсы Alright

-Сіз қай тілінде еркін айтсыз? What language do you speak fluently?
-Орыс тілінде еркін айтамын, қазақ тілін де жақсы білемін I speak Russian fluently, I also know Kazakh well

Vocabulary

әлі still yet more (Rus. еще)
жарыс competition
бас main
дыбыстау to pronounce
сөйлем sentence
анық clear understandable
мүше organ part
толық full; толық мүше - real; ақылы толық емес - he's a half-with ("his brain is not full")
шырын juice
шығып сөйлеу to perform
қойма storehouse
тұщы fresh/bland
жүйе system
кесте table, graphic; pattern
өкінішке орай a great pity
тән characteristic, typical оған тән typical of him
еркін free
аздап a little
ескеру to consider, take into account
мезгiл season
болып шығу to succeed/turn out well менiңше болып шықты I think ("according to me") it turned out (well)
өзге other different
өзгеше differently
шаруа peasant
қой овца
жүзiм grapes
мұғалiм teacher, educator
су қоймасы water reservoir
жарыс competition
сұр gray
бөрiк hat
ұқсас close
қатты strong
шет edge, border
ерекшелiк peculiarity
үйрену to learn/study

Answers

Exercise 1
Translate to English:
[spoiler]1) The teacher's speech was interesting. 2) The villagers work on a sheep farm. 3) I don't like grape juice. 4) It's not permitted to swim in the pool. 5) We stayed in another hotel. 6) My father is an active member of the Academy of Sciences. 7) Spring water is very delicious. 8 ) The water from this spring (it turns out) is delicious. 9) My brother is a fat person. 10) Do you know the schedule of lessons? 11) My grandmother lives in the city of Atyrau (Атырау).[/spoiler]

Exercise 2
Translate to Kazakh
[spoiler]1) Мен велосипед жарысына әлi қатыспадым. 2) Ол бала мекемесiнде жұмыс iстейдi. 3) Сен тас үйде тұрасың ба? 4) Тас үй қатты. 5) Ауыл көшелерi тар. 6) Өзен суы дәмдi ме? 7) Сенiң бөрiгi сұр ма? 8 ) Ауылдың шетiнде ағаштар көп. 9) Ол тым жылдам жұмыс iстейдi. 10) Бұл ерекшелiктi ескеру керек. 11) Қазақ тiлiнiң грамматикасына тән ерекшiлiктер ескердiм. 12) Оның ақылы толық емес![/spoiler]

zhiguli

Postby zhiguli » 2007-10-19, 5:13

A few more words about a very important verb tense that was not covered in the lessons.

The present/future tense given is more like an aorist - it indicates action that is habitual or is planned for the near future.
барамын - I go (usually)/will go

To express the present continuous ("I am going") there's another construction.

There are four auxiliary verbs:

тұру to stand
отыру to sit
жатыру to lie
жүру to walk

These are the only ones that use a simple form in this tense. All other verbs use one of them as an auxiliary.

The main verb is the root with the added suffix -п/ып/іп:

мен сөйлеп тұрмын I am saying
сен жазып отырсың you are writing
etc

Exceptions: the verbs бару to go, келу to come, әкелу to bring, апару to take away

These use the form root+-е/а:

мен бар-а жатырмын
сен келе жатырсың
ол апара жатыр

The question is - which auxiliary to use? All have a slightly different nuance to them.

1) отыру indicates that the action is being done at this moment (sitting down):
Әділ кітап оқып отыр Ädil is reading a book
Кәрім шай ішіп отыр Kärim is drinking tea

2) жатыру gives a nuance of continuity and emphasizes the duration of an action:
Оля институтта оқып жатыр Olya studies (continues studying) at the institute
Мен келе жатырмын I continue to go

3) тұру has the nuance of repetitiveness, and indicates that the action is taking place at the moment (standing up):
Екі адам сөйлесіп тұр Two men are talking (standing up)
Ол маған қарап тұр He keeps looking at me (all this time)
Сен маған келіп тұр Keep coming to visit me (regularly)

4) жүру just like жатыр emphasises the continuity of an action or its being repeated:
Оля институтта оқып жүр Olya continues to study at the institute
Самат маған келіп жүр Samat comes to visit me (regularly)

http://www.geocities.com/bolatkhan/KazL ... index.html

"The most commonly used is жатыр. It's so common that there's even a proverb that goes
"Бұл қазақ не істесе де жатып істейді."
"This Kazakh, whatever he does, does it lying down."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kazakh_language

is a bit more precise:

Aspect in the Present Tense in Kazakh Kazakh aspect English translation
Жеймін non-progressive "I eat."
Жеп жатырмын progressive "I am eating."
Жеп отырмын progressive/durative "I am [sitting and] eating." / "I have been eating."
Жеп тұрмын progressive/punctual "I am eating [this very minute]."
Жеп жүрмін habitual/frequentative "I eat [lunch at noon every day]."

Evidentiality

Kazakh exhibits an evidentiality system which does not neatly align with morphological paradigms.

* тазалап тастапты - he cleaned it, and I saw the result
* тазалап тастапты (екен) - he cleaned it, and someone saw the results and told me
* тазалап тастаған - he cleaned it, I saw the result, and verified it with him
* тазалап тастаған екен - he cleaned it, and told me, but I probably didn't see the results
* тазалап тастады - he cleaned it, and I saw him clean it

The -ған/қан/ген/кен affix is that of another tense, the past perfect (the equivalent the mişli geçmiş zaman for you Turkish students) "He has gone" "you have eaten" etc.

Timpul

Postby Timpul » 2007-11-16, 20:09

Wow! I'm starting to learn it now! Kazakh is a beautiful language :P

PS. But I'd like to seen some materials for learning kyrgyz too :(

zhiguli

Postby zhiguli » 2007-11-21, 14:45

There's a fair bit of material for kyrgyz at the www.eric.ed.gov site
And this page (which, alas, is in russian)

http://kyrgyz.lugovsa.net/

Kazakh and Kyrgyz are so close that they are mutually intelligible so it shouldn't be difficult to learn Kyrgyz once you've gotten a good grip on Kazakh.

seytan

Postby seytan » 2007-12-08, 13:41

Жеймін non-progressive "I eat."
Жеп жатырмын progressive "I am eating."
Yes, but also Жеймін is used for future tense.
If we add a/e/й and personal sufix to the root it's a sign of present/future. In fact kazakh is similar to turkish. Just take a look on past tense:
- Sen yazdın
- Ceн жaздын *You wrote

Also there are some small differences in pronounciation in different regions; e.g. on the south of Kazakhstan ж in жoқ (and some other words) sounds like dj, not j.

It's indeed a very good course up there. If you want to know something that wasn't mention above, just ask.

zhiguli

Postby zhiguli » 2008-01-10, 5:40

Kazakh-Russian-Kazakh dictionary:

http://rapidshare.com/files/79144200/kaz-rus-kaz.rar

and a video of some foreigners speaking Kazakh:

http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=1379482&fr=

Şeytan, сәлемет пе! How long have you been studying Kazakh for? (I've also noticed there are a few others from Poland studying Kazakh...maybe it's just a coincidence)

Timpul

Postby Timpul » 2008-01-11, 17:29

Oh, yeah, I try to study, but I'm busy all the time, alas :P

seytan

Postby seytan » 2008-01-30, 16:29

Salemetcin be (sorry I hate cyrylics), zhiguli; I'm learning kazakh for about a year; probably it is coincidence ;)

Thanks for the dictionary; try sozdik.kz

Oh and take a look on that work:
http://jnw.name/papers/2006wi-kzpres.pdf
It's a comparision of present tenses in kazakh; it's a little bit tangled, but also a bit useful.

Also check out the wikipedia dictionary on kazakh wikipedia, there's a good glossary.

I've got some free time right know; so maybe I'll add some useful expressions and words to unilang project.

budz888

Learn Kazakh online

Postby budz888 » 2008-03-05, 5:33

I'm going to have a go at learning Kazakh as I've been interested in it for a while. I have a couple of books in Russian but I haven't had the motivation to wade through them. I'm now inspired by this latest set of Kazakh lessons to be posted here. I'll be entering them into an online drill program I have. If anyone wants access, just send me a message for a username and password for the Kazakh section...

Return to “Turkic Languages”