Vietnamese Discussion - Sự thảo luận tiếng Việt

JackFrost
Re: hey

Postby JackFrost » 2006-07-07, 2:58

sevencoloriris wrote:I think VIRUS8765 had a good idea about chatting with vietnamese people through YM, Talking with native Vietnamese speaker is the best way to learn this language, I can't see whatever u wrote in vietnamese in this thread eventhough I"m vietnamese, maybe I have some trouble with the font.[/code]

I don't know what's the problem, but you should see the fonts right if you use Unicode (UTF-8 ).
Neferuj paħujkij!

yellow

Postby yellow » 2006-11-12, 7:08

It's nice to see people interested in Vietnamese language :D
As a native Vietnamese speaker, I'm willing to help anyone trying to learn Vietnamese language.

Something about my "vietnames" :P :
Pronunciation: Southern dialect, however I can speak every word correctly in standard (Hanoi) dialect.
Grammar: just so so, I can easily tell you if a sentence doesn't sound right though.
Vocabulary: I may not know all the slangs and such but I can explain most standard/common words.

BTW, this topic's title doesn't sound right:
Discuss (v): thảo luận
Discussion (n): sự thảo luận, thảo luận
Yet we don't use "sự thảo luận" in this case, "thảo luận" should be used instead. (Reason? Hmm, I'm not an expert in this area, all I can help is pointing out the right way of speaking/writing).
Also, please note that in Vietnamese one word can be a verb, a noun, etc... it all depends on where/how you are using it.

Sisyphe

Postby Sisyphe » 2006-11-14, 1:24

Could you explain the differences in the dialects yellow - I know little things, such as the pronunciation differences (eg d=z in the North and y in the south...) and one of the tonal differences (dau hoi and dau nga merge), but what are some of the more important differences between the Northern and Southern dialects?
and can you tell me about the dialect spoken in Hue as well? Thanks in advance! :D
Actively learning: ImageImageOn the back burner but in love with:ImageImage A life-long endeavor: Image

yellow

Postby yellow » 2006-11-14, 21:21

Sisyphe wrote:Could you explain the differences in the dialects yellow - I know little things, such as the pronunciation differences (eg d=z in the North and y in the south...) and one of the tonal differences (dau hoi and dau nga merge), but what are some of the more important differences between the Northern and Southern dialects?
and can you tell me about the dialect spoken in Hue as well? Thanks in advance! :D

I'm not so good about the dialect spoken in Hue, actually the dialects spoken in Hue, Quang Nam, etc... (the middle of the countries) are very hard to understand. I have a friend from there and it took me several days to fully understand her. So, it's very hard for even a native Vietnamese too, don't feel so bad if you can't catch the words (they often speak way too fast). And I strongly recommend you not to learn that dialect, if you can speak the standard dialect (Hanoi's) everyone will understand you^^.

I'm from SaiGon (HoChiMinhCity) so I will try to list some differences between these dialects (Note: SaiGon's dialect doesn't not necessarily represent the Southern dialect. Also note that I'm listing all possible mistakes I can think of, it doesn't mean that those are common.)

Saigon:
r -> d (rất -> dất. This is not a very common mistake)
v -> d (vô -> dô. Common)
tr -> ch (trời ơi -> chời ơi. Common)
s -> x (sung sướng = xung xướng. Common)
tonal: dau nga -> dau hoi (sữa(milk) = sửa(repair). Very common)
n -> ng (cái bàn -> cái bàng)
uôn -> uông (buồn rầu = buồng rầu)
on -> oong (con cái = coong cái)
ân -> âng (sân bãi = sâng bãi)
ơn -> ơơng (sơn lâm = sơơng lâm)

Northern:
n - > l (nồi -> lồi)

According to a post I read on another forum, the tr,r,s mistakes are quite common there too (I need to recheck this, I thought these mistakes are common in the South only)
tr -> ch (con trai = con chai. I'm not quite sure if this is common)
r -> d, gi (râu ria = dâu dia, rán mỡ = gián mỡ.
s -> x sung sướng = xung xướng, sâu sắc = xâu xắc

Again, I believe it's very very important to be able to speak the standard dialect. If you happen to learn VietNamese somewhere, make sure your teacher can speak the standard dialect. In Vietnamese, if you can speak it right, you can spell it right.

Sisyphe

Postby Sisyphe » 2006-11-15, 4:02

This helps me sooooo much!!!! Thanks for this - I will refer to it often. Dialects are always the most interesting aspect of all languages that I learn - I'm fascinated by them. I would still like to know a bit more about the Hue dialect - just for my knowledge, not to imitate ,- if you could tell me anything else about it. Thanks though Yellow! :praise: :praise:
Actively learning: ImageImageOn the back burner but in love with:ImageImage A life-long endeavor: Image

yellow

Postby yellow » 2006-11-15, 6:03

According to a post here: http://diendan.edu.net.vn/forums/294733/ShowThread.aspx

Hue dialect common mistakes:
Dấu ngã -> dấu nặng (xã hội = xạ hội, sạch sẽ = sạch sẹ)
Dấu hỏi -> dấu ngã (hỏi han = hõi han, mệt mỏi = mệt mõi)
Dấu sắc -> dấu nặng (Xứ Huế = Xự Huệ)

Sisyphe

Postby Sisyphe » 2006-11-15, 6:22

:shock: Thanks. :wink: Just looks very, very complicated. :shock:

Adfleekto Asashchee

Postby Adfleekto Asashchee » 2007-09-08, 7:08

Chào anh. Tôi Small pagoda Adlfleekto và Tôi thì rất quan tâm về tiếng Việt nam bởi vì mọi nguyên âm. Tuy nhiên Tôi là âm thanh điếc và sử dụng một người dịch để đánh máy điều này. Tôi hy vọng bạn những gã có thể học tiếng Việt nam và tiếp tục khóa học!

cái Phụ! Adfleekto.
Native:English(Newzild)
Fluent:English(Newzild)
Intermediate:None
Basic:Japanese, German
Learning:Brazilian Portuguese

Last edited Adfleekto Asashchee on 12 Apr 2006 21:03; edited 11321431 times in total

Tenebrarum

Postby Tenebrarum » 2007-09-11, 14:35

Adfleekto Asashchee wrote:Chào anh. Tôi Small pagoda Adlfleekto và Tôi thì rất quan tâm về tiếng Việt nam bởi vì mọi nguyên âm. Tuy nhiên Tôi là âm thanh điếc và sử dụng một người dịch để đánh máy điều này. Tôi hy vọng bạn những gã có thể học tiếng Việt nam và tiếp tục khóa học!
You used a translator? Interesting... :lol: It simply broke down the paragraph and did a word-by-word translation.

Let me re-translate it into English... Use the same method, word-by-word... See how far it strays from your original meaning :oops:

"Hello. I'm Small pagoda Adfleekto and I am very interested in Vietnamese because of every vowel. However I am sound deaf and used a translator to type this. I hope you guys be able to learn Vietnamese and continue the course!"

Would you mind re-posting the original English paragraph, Adfleekto? :D

Adfleekto Asashchee

Postby Adfleekto Asashchee » 2007-09-12, 3:43

The original paragraph is a bit different. I'll see if I remember.

Hello. I'm Adfleekto and I am very interested in Vietnamese because of all the vowels. However I am tone deaf and used a translator to type this. hope you guys will be able to learn Vietnamese and continue the course.

Native:English(Newzild)

Fluent:English(Newzild)

Intermediate:None

Basic:Japanese, German

Learning:Brazilian Portuguese

Last edited Adfleekto Asashchee on 12 Apr 2006 21:03; edited 11321431 times in total

Tenebrarum

Postby Tenebrarum » 2007-09-13, 17:18

Arg yeah... tone deaf, not sound deaf... my bad :oops:

Return to “South East Asian Languages”